Home

Bald Eagles

Posted By: beeman

Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 06:58 PM

We counted 64 on the ice this morning eating some carp. I have probably never saw a total of 64 let alone this many in one spot. There was a couple Canada geese out there also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 74F30373-C22B-404C-8F3C-AEC73B07AAA2.jpeg
Attached picture AAC970CE-A67C-42D5-AD6F-AE6F50481142.jpeg
Attached picture F2B1B5FD-AD6C-4F50-8CFA-315074E265F1.jpeg
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 07:36 PM

I see at times 15 or more in the same tree along the river I trap. They have recovered nicely from DDT.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I see at times 15 or more in the same tree along the river I trap. They have recovered nicely from DDT.

Same here at my place....15 hang around in my trees on the river. Real nuisance here.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 08:46 PM

Have to make darn sure every water animal trapped is under water or it will be torn to shreds, or so any holes in it can't be repaired. I love to see them but their a pain in the butt.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 08:53 PM

When I was a kid, I had to go to the zoo to see one. Now I wish they were back in the zoo.
Posted By: GUK

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 08:54 PM

Buzzards in tuxedos.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 09:07 PM

DDT never killed anything but insects.
Neither DDT nor it's derivatives are capable of harming raptors. It's basic chemistry! Doh!!!
250 million human beings have died needlessly due to ignorant fools believing the libtard lies about DDT.

The masses moving off farms and into cities saved the majority of raptors.
The Endangered Species Act was the second biggest contributor.
The anti pollution measures did the rest.

Hot lead poisoning after stealing chickens terminated more raptors than everything else combined.
Mercury and PCBs also had bad effects on raptors.

DDT never harmed a single bird. Ever.
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 09:21 PM

We see quite a few swarming a dead cow kicking the crows and turkey vultures out.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Neither DDT nor it's derivatives are capable of harming raptors. It's basic chemistry! Doh!!!
250 million human beings have died needlessly due to ignorant fools believing the libtard lies about DDT.

Hot lead poisoning after stealing chickens terminated more raptors than everything else combined.

What do you contribute the coming back of the Eagles and Peregrine falcons to? Are you saying hot lead from farmer is the reason?
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 11:34 PM

U left out the pole traps by the chicken coop!!!!

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There

What do you contribute the coming back of the Eagles and Peregrine falcons to? Are you saying hot lead from farmer is the reason?

Air conditioning. They started making a comeback just about the time central air was popular installation in rural homes.

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/18/21 11:51 PM

lol
Posted By: Backwater Run

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 03:57 PM

If you are close to a major river with dams they will crowd around the open water below the dam. In cold years we have seen up to 300 at the Lock and Dam on the Mississippi by us.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 04:09 PM

Cool photos, beeman. Doesn't seem like all that long ago it was a big deal to see an eagle here in Iowa. Now they are everywhere!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by GUK
Buzzards in tuxedos.

"Susquehanna White Headed Buzzard" they were known 2b. PA Game Commission wasted a lot of money on hacking towers and feeding the chicks and raising them!
Posted By: atrapper

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 04:30 PM

Not sure what your definition of killing is.....I guess maybe DDT didn't or doesn't directly kill an adult eagle but exposure to it is stored in the fatty tissue of living things. From there it effects the endocrine system of animals. This specifically affects egg shell production in birds and causes a weakened shell. The shell's integrity doesn't allow the fetus to develop to birth. That's why the eagle population plummeted. So I guess DDT didn't directly "kill" these birds, rather it prevented them from increasing their population to the point that they were eventually endangered.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Originally Posted by GUK
Buzzards in tuxedos.

"Susquehanna White Headed Buzzard" they were known 2b. PA Game Commission wasted a lot of money on hacking towers and feeding the chicks and raising them!

Yep!!

Better keep any rat ya catch underwater. There comes a point that enough of them is enough.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 05:47 PM

Thankfully ddt didnt bother the chickens or the many songbirds we used to have around here
That is a nice picture beeman most i've seen at one time was 11 and that was late fall when the salmon die off
Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Re: Bald Eagles - 03/19/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Yep!!

Better keep any rat ya catch underwater. There comes a point that enough of them is enough.

I feel like we have reached that point. Sometimes I see more eagles than crows. The ravens are also bad here. You can't keep anything in plastic outside for longer than a few minutes. Groceries, trash, furs, nothing is safe. I put a Walmart sack with a couple one oz jars backbreaker and gusto in the bed of my truck. I walked off for 5 minutes and came back to one of them flying away with it. Never got it back.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums