Home

duke 650 o.s.

Posted By: west river rogue

duke 650 o.s. - 03/19/21 02:26 PM

Has anyone used these on coyote yet? What were the results,any bent dogs,traps etc? Thanks
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/19/21 04:01 PM

They are built like a tank and there is basically no dog to get bent Steve. There is a big pin but it is hardened steel. I like to trap around rows of round bales so I occasionally get a trap runned over by a tractor and the 650's and Jakes always pull thru.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/19/21 04:02 PM

Edit- I missed the duke part- youre on yer own

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/19/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Edit- I missed the duke part- youre on yer own

well geesh!! thanks alot Pard!
Posted By: red mt

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:09 PM

Caught seven coyote this spring around a couple ranches for rancher by there calving pastures with Duke 650's no bent dogs just reset and go dandy trap imo but I am running them on drags.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:34 PM

I got my hands on one a few days ago, thinking about 10 dozen are in my future!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:42 PM

Never tried em,,,,,,never will.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Fell the same way . Duke has copied many traps BUT perfected none of them. LOL!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:51 PM

Put a doz to work this past season. A beast of a trap. Not fun to release cats from (they lock up super tight!) which is a great thing. I advise welding the cheaper j hooks. A very solid predator trap

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

As if mb hasn't done the same or been made in taiwan...this has been beat to death 100 times. Let's keep this a review of the op
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

I’m sure Duke can handle missing two sells.

B
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 10:40 PM

I run mainly #3 Victor Montgomery’s, but I decided to buy just 3 of them and I like them. Like someone pointed out, they do lockup tight. I am not ready to give up my Victor Montgomery’s though.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 11:14 PM

OK I have handled Both the Duke 550 and the Duke 650 , BOTH are junk . Have seen Duke 650 tore of the base plate by a 30 lb coyote. HAVE seen dog bent on Duke 550 . Picks on here of Duke 650 bent up. Traps have very HEAVY pan tension , some you must bend the dog greatly to get down to 3 lbs. Even on U tube Casey on the Management Advantage says = they need to be tuned and worked on. HE is sponsored by Duke so what does that tell you! Duke has copied = Mb 550 , and the Duke 650 is just a up sized rip off ,of the MB 550 . Duke has copied Bridger and Bridger Dog less . And the list goes on and on
Posted By: forestman3

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 11:41 PM

I have been using #4 duke with Paws I Trip pans for years and caught lots of coyotes and never had a coyote bend one up.If the duke 650 would of been around when I was buying traps I would of bought them.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/20/21 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3
I have been using #4 duke with Paws I Trip pans for years and caught lots of coyotes and never had a coyote bend one up.If the duke 650 would of been around when I was buying traps I would of bought them.

I also have used duke #4 4x4 and 4x2,,awesome strong trap. Frame is very thick. Nothing bending them.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 12:40 AM

They performed perfect for me. No damaged parts or bent pieces. I did drop them down to 2 coils though. 4 coil was super powerful. Then I just sprayed them off and took em beaver trapping. Did great there too.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 01:51 AM

I run both the 550 duke and bridger 550 some one needs to explain to me how the duke nameplates and dogs are getting bent when they are the exact same diameter stainless dogs and the exact same thickness material for the base plates. The baseplates are both made from mild steel so I cant see how one can be stronger than the other. A friend of mine and I both bought a dozen 650 to try this year. All I have ever heard him say about duke traps is they are junk. After using them this season he commented that he was thinking of switching to all duke 650s and I agreed with him. My only complaint is they do lock up super tight and are so strong they are hard to set . I am thinking of making mine 2 coiled. The only damage either of us experienced was one of mine got run over and it bent the base plate. As far as the pan tension goes I had another friend bring me a half dozen brand new mb 550s. He said what is wrong with my traps they are all over 5 pounds on the pan tension how do I fix them. At the time I didnt know about bending the dog. I told him I dont know what to do he said I am going to send them back. So i spoke to minnesota and they told me how to fix them. So the pan tension issue is not only a duke problem. All of my 650s were good on pan tension from the start.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 01:56 AM

As far as the copying situation trappers begged for a larger version of the 550 for years minnesota didnt deliver. I am not knocking Minnesota products as they make a high quality line of products.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 02:01 AM

I’m glad y’all are getting the high pan tension 550’s. All mine have been perfect.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 02:11 AM

Heard of a couple folks running them 2 coiled an got along great. I've yet to have an issue with (any) ss dog. Takes a big hole to bed one especially in a stepdown dh. As for pan tension an travel I can't remember them being any more work to tune than an mb.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
As far as the copying situation trappers begged for a larger version of the 550 for years minnesota didnt deliver. I am not knocking Minnesota products as they make a high quality line of products.

X2
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by newhouse114
I got my hands on one a few days ago, thinking about 10 dozen are in my future!

I'll wait for the MB version. The duke is like dating a fat chick, feels good till someone sees you.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 11:52 AM

Ford made the first pickup truck, then Chevy copied them. Don't let your loyalty close your mind to any product.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 12:21 PM

traps have been copied by many manufacturers over many many yrs. In my 54 yrs or so of trapping ive seen it alot. Copying with added improvements makes a better trap. Most things can benefit from building on others ideas. Victor did it also either by design or buyout. Its life!! Thanks for the GOOD unbiased reviews. Gonna add a few
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 12:53 PM

Ford trucks sponsor NFL so we hate them too lol.
I could add something but this topic is biased by delete it seems.
Posted By: shorthair

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 01:15 PM

What's your thoughts on the duke 650 as a beaver trap with the offset? I've never set an offset trap for beaver before but like the idea of a universal coyote, cat and beaver trap for a reasonable price.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by shorthair
What's your thoughts on the duke 650 as a beaver trap with the offset? I've never set an offset trap for beaver before but like the idea of a universal coyote, cat and beaver trap for a reasonable price.

Caught several on a drowning rig, they did fine for me.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/21/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carolina Foxer
Originally Posted by shorthair

Caught several on a drowning rig, they did fine for me.

Yep they seem like a decent beaver trap as well, eh?
Posted By: kansaskoons

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/22/21 01:05 AM

I’ve hated duke traps ever since they started with there one and done body grip traps. These 650s are a good trap. I switched the chains and swivels out. No tuning, no bent dogs, lock up super tight. As far as copying traps, MB is as guilty. I expect static from those who have heard me cuss duke for years. Im just waiting for them to copy belisles 😎
Posted By: The Beav

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/22/21 01:17 AM

I'm not sure but I think Duke has a 750 beaver/wolf trap on the way. I believe one Is offset and one isn't. Bill said he would name the beaver trap pro Beav. LOL
I have a doz 650s I got for my birthday but I haven't used them yet. Looks to be a great trap.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/22/21 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm not sure but I think Duke has a 750 beaver/wolf trap on the way. I believe one Is offset and one isn't. Bill said he would name the beaver trap pro Beav. LOL
I have a doz 650s I got for my birthday but I haven't used them yet. Looks to be a great trap.

They are going to be called 850's and yes there is two versions, one offset, one not.

No teeth frown lol.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/22/21 09:28 PM

Ordered today
Bill duke said they shipped today. Any idea about postal shipping on something from ms to ohio now? timewise?

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/22/21 11:27 PM

has it sped up(usps)?
Posted By: thedude055

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/23/21 02:34 PM

I ship out of the Duke factory in MS everyday just about. You should get the traps in two to three days no issue this time of year. Everything comes UPS. at least all of my orders do. The trap (650 Pro) in my neck of the woods has performed well. I have used it on slide wires for beaver and on my coyote and cat line. No real issues have popped up. I normally do not use offsets for beaver but i wanted to really get these out and try them everywhere and see what i did and did not like. I am not a huge fan of the chain and swivel setup on them and I will likely swap that out but i will say there was no issue in the field with it. Just not my normal setup.

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/23/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by thedude055
I ship out of the Duke factory in MS everyday just about. You should get the traps in two to three days no issue this time of year. Everything comes UPS. at least all of my orders do. The trap (650 Pro) in my neck of the woods has performed well. I have used it on slide wires for beaver and on my coyote and cat line. No real issues have popped up. I normally do not use offsets for beaver but i wanted to really get these out and try them everywhere and see what i did and did not like. I am not a huge fan of the chain and swivel setup on them and I will likely swap that out but i will say there was no issue in the field with it. Just not my normal setup.

Thanks,,no bs review!

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/23/21 06:50 PM

just got email,,traps come tomorrow ups. You were dead on..2 days

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/24/21 09:47 AM

today,,yeehee!!!

Re: duke 650 o.s. - 03/24/21 08:19 PM

wow,,these are beasties!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums