Home

Found some canning lids (so I thought)

Posted By: River Birch

Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 10:12 PM

Came across some canning supplies at the hardware store today...

Needed just the lids... I have not seen this brand before, picked up 4 dozen as soon as I got to my truck I see "Made in China"... HAD to go back in and return, no way I'm using China canning lids!

So my lesson today is always look at the label...

Hopefully this will save someone else from making the same mistake!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 10:30 PM

I am boiling sap today and realized I needed caps too, but guess what, every place I looked locally is all out.

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by trapperjdb
I am boiling sap today and realized I needed caps too, but guess what, every place I looked locally is all out.

Yes lids have been "sold out" and I thought this is great found some... Wrong lol
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 10:43 PM

2-3 days ago, our local Walmart had 20-30 cases of Ball jars (mostly quarts), and a case each of Ball wide mouth & regular lids. I only took 10 boxes of wide mouth lids. I keep finding cases of Pur and Golden Harvest lids but my family has only used Ball or Kerr, so that's what I trust.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 10:51 PM

Glad you took the China junk back. I have found lids at a couple local stores usually between 9 and 10 in the morning when they finish stocking. Passed up on 40 dozen wide mouth lids from Ball as we have enough now (3.18 per dozen).

Chris
Posted By: keets

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 11:11 PM

hope you told them why you brought them back
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 11:13 PM

I scored some ball lids at Farm & Fleet the other day. They had lots jars more than I've seen anywhere for a while even some ring and lids. Which I probably should got? They did have a limit on lids of 3 boxes. Wide mouth were $3.99 regular $2.99 I grab 1 regular 2 wide. Could have had the wife grab some too. But I got a fair stash going now didn't want be hog.. I didn't do syrup this spring so really won't be using to many until first crop berries. Unless decide to do some fish or something else different?
See today Menards had some jars too but didn't see lids.

Mac

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/20/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by keets
hope you told them why you brought them back

The kid didn't ask and he was just processing the refund, I pointed out why they were being returned... Got a stupid look like yeah so, pretty sad the direction we're headed.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/21/21 01:49 PM

I ordered some online last fall, a whole batch failed to seal
Thought I was ordering ball lids, no brand name on them
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/21/21 03:33 PM

The nearest Walmart gets lids in sporadically. I wonder how long this canning supply shortage will last. We plan on continuing to increase the amount we can still. I will need a huge amount of jars over the next 2 to 3 years for all the fruit we will be producing. I probably should start stocking up as I can.

Keith
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 05:30 PM

My local WalMart had a couple cases of Ball regular lids this morning. They still had some when I left and I have enough to get me through this canning season. They were at their regular price and no limit. They had a good stock of jars complete with lids and rings but no wide mouth lids.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 07:20 PM

You can get lots up here!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cat catcher
You can get lots up here!

Plenty where I am also.

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 08:57 PM

They have been scarce as hens teeth down here for a while. I hope some showing up on the shelves is a sign that the supply line is getting back to normal as in readily available whenever you need to buy some.

There has been several threads on here discussing the lack of availability of canning supplies (especially lids) and exorbitant pricing if you did happen to find some.

Just checked Amazon and their pricing is still jacked up, 3 times what I paid per dozen this morning.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 09:29 PM

whats a little lead between friends? I checked the local wal mart website regularly and when they were in stock, purchased them immediately then picked them up
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 03/31/21 11:14 PM

Have no idea as to origin, but my mother found me a sleeve of generic regular canning lids at her local Amish store. Worked out to about $5 per dozen as I recall. Mom has used them for years and claims they work fine.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/01/21 09:55 AM

nothing here for months frown
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/01/21 12:31 PM

Walmart had a full shelf this week.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/01/21 01:42 PM

I wouldn't have bought the China ones either.
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/01/21 07:18 PM

All canning lids with the name , Ball , Kerr , Bernardin , and Golden Harvest is all Ameican made buy the same company. The company name is Newell that bought out Jarden . The original Ball & Kerr company's sold out years ago . Look it up . I bought some reusable canning lids call Tattler made up in Michigan .
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/02/21 01:03 PM

The ones I ordered I thought were ball lids, nope they have no Logo on them

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/02/21 01:43 PM

From the reports from various areas of the country, it appears that the manufacturing and distribution pipeline is being replenished and returning to normal. Hopefully, by canning season, the shelves will be well stocked with all sizes and choice of brands.

I did check out the reusable Tattler lids and they would probably be fine but I think I will stick to the one time use lids as long as they are available and reasonable price.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/02/21 01:59 PM

Check your local rural kings or farm stores
Posted By: kiyote

Re: Found some canning lids (so I thought) - 04/02/21 02:10 PM

I tried Tattler for the first time last year due to the shortage. I was skeptical at first but they seem to work as well as the regular Ball and Kerr lids. I cant speak for long term storage yet but so good so far.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums