Home

not many of us left

Posted By: foxkidd44

not many of us left - 03/22/21 01:29 PM

was saddened to hear about don wolfs passing a few days ago and got me to thinking ......not many root buyers in business anymore......i'm talking about the guys that had diversity ...not just the ginseng/goldenseal/bloodroot buyers..................even sadder , is the increasing absence of guys who could fill them.......culvers root, star grub, indian hemp, indian physic...etc......that's just to name a few...............i'm one of the few that knows easily, over 100 different plants and bark and have at one time or another harvested them. wheather for market or my own use. nobody wants to learn anymore.........
Posted By: mike mason

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 04:32 PM

Foxkidd, you should take over the wildcrafting forum. I know ginseng, mayapple , skunk cabbage and that's about it. Would love to learn more. Food for thought.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 04:50 PM

All outdoor knowledge seems to be on the way out. I urge everyone on this forum to take a kid out and teach them something new about our great outdoors. I too could use some more education in the knowledge of roots and herbs.
Posted By: Sawmill Creek

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 04:50 PM

Skunk cabbage has a value? I know where there's truckloads of it
Posted By: tjm

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 05:03 PM

grew up knowing/collecting roots etc. but it's been a long long time since I thought the money was worth the effort; I'm kinda amazed that any root buyers can find enough wildcrafters to keep them in business.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 05:03 PM

Best part of being outdoors is being able to identify plants and animals. Always trying to learn more. I collect seeds from various species of plants and sell them yearly. Been doing it about 5 years, and I learn a few new species each year.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 05:06 PM

One year I hit the demand and price and made a lot of money. Some years the orders fill up fast and the market is not there. Hit or miss.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 05:15 PM

I would love to learn more about wild herbs and roots. While a very outdoor family, we were never taught about things other than the berry vines, and the nut trees.

Mike
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 06:00 PM

The reason it is lost is because you can download an app, take a picture of the plant an it will tell you what it is. No studying, “unnecessary” walks through the forest or dealing with bugs.

Re: not many of us left - 03/22/21 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sawmill Creek
Skunk cabbage has a value? I know where there's truckloads of it

absoloutly........
these guys might be interested...https://americanbotanicals.com/information-for-collectors/
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: not many of us left - 03/23/21 12:03 AM

There's a big buyer up in Ky. my brother in law works for off and on, seems to be a huge operation just from talking to him.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: not many of us left - 03/23/21 01:43 AM

I will miss Don as well.We lost a man with a great deal of knowledge.I had a couple young guys go out to Ohio last fall looking for some deer sign with me and I had more fun showing the one what ginseng looked like.He sure liked looking for it but he just couldn`t get dialed in.Hope to dig some this year with him.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: not many of us left - 03/23/21 02:50 AM

The thing is that you can make a whole lot more by getting a part time job than you will with most of the roots.

Re: not many of us left - 03/23/21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Foxkidd, you should take over the wildcrafting forum. I know ginseng, mayapple , skunk cabbage and that's about it. Would love to learn more. Food for thought.

mike, I was actually asked at one time to be a mod there........I just simply did not have the time. andi kind of, sort of, was responsible for the birth of the forum......I took it upon myself to take my camera and snap off pics of medicinal plants and such.....i'd have pics of the plants, roots and how to properly prepare them. after that,,,,it was suggested we have a wildcrafting forum.

Re: not many of us left - 03/23/21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
Originally Posted by mike mason

mike, I was actually asked at one time to be a mod there........I just simply did not have the time. andi kind of, sort of, was responsible for the birth of the forum......I took it upon myself to take my camera and snap off pics of medicinal plants and such.....i'd have pics of the plants, roots and how to properly prepare them. after that,,,,it was suggested we have a wildcrafting forum. those pics are still there in the back pages
Posted By: kenny k

Re: not many of us left - 03/24/21 12:18 AM

Sad news about don . In my trying times I lost the good friend dick bope. I put up fur for him for years.he was the last fur buyer in the county. No more stories of the old days of coon hunting and other buyers and trappers. He was in the mid. 80s and the covit 19 got him .I sure miss him.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums