Home

Trapping vechile question

Posted By: coonman220

Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 03:30 AM

My cast iron exhaust manifold with converter integrated on it is crack, a common gm problem on 4 cyl, manifold under warrantee, had replaced last summer, wondering if anyone knows if ur cat was plug which cause a crack, which is probly not plug up, but if was cat plug up, would that likrly for sure trip a code ? My check engine lite works an is not on
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 08:14 AM

Echo Did you check for broken motor mounts?

Echo Did you check for broken trans mounts?

Echo Did you check for broken trans mounts?

Echo Did you check for broken motor mounts?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 10:49 AM

Yes, a plugged catalytic convertor will trigger an engine code. Quite often a plugged convertor will also cause a VERY noticeable decrease in engine performance and fuel economy.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 10:57 AM

If your catalytic converter was plugged up you would be losing power. That crack was likely the result of getting a hot piece of cast wet crossing a creek or something
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 11:55 AM

Plugged cat will throw a code however you will notice a reduction in power first. Cracked manifold can be caused by the manifold cooling to fast like snow or water splashing up in there or washing the engine while the manifold is hot. The manifold can get very hot if the cat is plugged however you should notice a power issue first. I’ve seen them plugged so bad that the vehicle would hardly pull itself down the road.

B

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BBarnes
Plugged cat will throw a code however you will notice a reduction in power first. Cracked manifold can be caused by the manifold cooling to fast like snow or water splashing up in there or washing the engine while the manifold is hot. The manifold can get very hot if the cat is plugged however you should notice a power issue first. I’ve seen them plugged so bad that the vehicle would hardly pull itself down the road.

B

We had quite a few 99-00 GM SUV's that would get plugged cats. You could just about walk faster than those things. Drop the Y-pipe off and the ran like race trucks. Fun diagnosis.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 12:26 PM

Put a hooker header on that little jewel. Get rid of cat converter. Run 3 inch pipe into a turbo thrush mooffler and out the back. Then let that pig eat. Oh yeh, put tape over check engine light on the dash. laugh

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 02:05 PM

Not Cross Creek, must not been bad converter

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 02:08 PM

I've seen plenty of cracked manifolds that had nothing to do with temperature shock. I'd blame cheap steel castings.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 04:10 PM

Drill the bolt holes out a size bigger on all but the two middle ones.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/25/21 09:18 PM

... get full coverage, a match and a gallon of gas then have a vechile roast
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/26/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Savell

Not legal, tater.lol
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Trapping vechile question - 03/26/21 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lufkin Trapper
Originally Posted by Savell

Not legal, tater.lol

Locate next riot area and park truck, hope for the best. Place Trump sticker on it.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 09:50 PM

So manifold bad an replace today, not sure how many valves in I 4 on inline Colorado with dial overhead cam, but kinda twish noise on tick noise for months an months always same out tailpipe I hear, exhaust look decent I think, so could that be valves at 237 k? How tell if symptoms, not sure what call shop tomma ask after free warrnty replacement on manifold as start tick him off, unbelievable cost at shop though , what bad valve symptoms an what happen ? No check engine lite on
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 09:53 PM

Great! Sounds fixed for 100k miles.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 10:27 PM

Unless slight leak muffler, he look once shop but not much an say look decent unless small leak, a diesel tech other job thought he say that a plug muffler rare, ? I hope not, blow new manifold apart crack, I wouldn't think that be plug muffler
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 10:38 PM

I’m sure you’ll figure out something wrong with it Dave.

I hope it runs forever for you.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 10:46 PM

Are you putting additives in your fuel???? Plugged cat converters are kinda rare. The ones that do plug or restrict are due to ignoring for a long time, other problems. Then adding crazy snake oil fix it stuff...Hippie had a legit idea. Cast iron manifolds expand and contract, a lot. when the bolts don't allow movement they crack. I remember the small block Chevy V8 manifolds in the 90's that when unbolted required spreader tools to bolt back on. Or drilling out the holes and at times both drills and spreaders. In Michigan Colorado's fall apart from rust before the manifolds crack...

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 10:55 PM

No additives any sort ever, 2nd aftermarket manifold, 1 last 4 years, this one last 6 months, I just ask disel tech other job an say if muffler plug, not blow manifold or crack it, ? probly small leak muffler ? I considered if happen be plug muffler that blow out new converter bfore shop in couple months when in service, unless noisevis valves go back, been hear lil noise exhaust months, manifold crack recently an replaced now , shop say have had problems with some manifolds on 4 cyl , not sure how many valves in this motor
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/01/21 11:09 PM

Time to just run it now. Hopefully this manifold hangs in there longer than the last 2. Good luck coonman

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 02:36 PM

There is a small non meter converter in exhaust pipe back aways, could they plug up enough to damage ur exhaust manifold and cause it crack
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
There is a small non meter converter in exhaust pipe back aways, could they plug up enough to damage ur exhaust manifold and cause it crack

The whole problem is the "bowtie"!!! Should have vechile wit some round emblem!!!

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 03:00 PM

Shop to busy look at till late next week, wondering if anyone know if second non meter small cat in exhaust plug up enough ruin crack manifold ? Or likely ?
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 03:43 PM

4 valves per cylinder. Fuel injectors that are dirty or starting to fail can also make a ticking noise as well.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 05:11 PM

Don't spray under hood at car wash anymore.

Keep your hood closed other than to check your oil and water and just drive it.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

The whole problem is the "bowtie"!!! Should have vechile wit some round emblem!!!

Didn't know Dodge started to put a round emblem on their trucks? wink
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 06:12 PM

If they are getting that hot it should surely be pinging under the hood when stopped. Kinda like the machine gun nest in the rain on Saving Ryans Privates

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 07:47 PM

I just wondering if 2nd converter that not meter could plug up enough that crack new manifold , or would know if plug

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:02 PM

... what you need to do is put a 12” lift and some 40 “ buckshot mudders on that vechile ...and ride around town with your window down
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:07 PM

Plugged caths don't cause cracked manifolds! Nonuniform expansion and thermal stresses are what crack manifolds. I have engines with caths running on dynos at temps from -25°F to 140°F turning so hard the exhaust manifolds and pipes were glowing cherry red, never resulted in a cracked manifold. But of course never cooled them down artificially with air or water, they would blow for sure!
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:13 PM

Buy a set of ear plugs and then some ear muffs. Put the plugs in and the muffs on over those. Now you won't hear anymore noises and maybe you will stop worrying your self to death. It's an older vehicle, its gonna make noises, learn to live with it. Focus on the positive things in your life. Go get your knee fixed, go for a job interview, repair your faulty wiring. Most of all, learn to appreciate and enjoy life.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:13 PM

Just do like me Coonman, I bought a 2002 chevy 2500 that had 200k on it for a wood truck and work. Drove it for 100k miles without a oil change or anything and it just kept chugging along. I did have to add a quart every month or so. Sold it for $500 more than I paid for it after 4 years. Don't sweat the small stuff. Drive it til it lays down and quit getting so worked up over all the noises. Just turn the radio up. Good luck
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:14 PM

Ctraps we had the same idea at the same time
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/02/21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Ctraps we had the same idea at the same time

I see that! Great minds???

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/03/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Just do like me Coonman, I bought a 2002 chevy 2500 that had 200k on it for a wood truck and work. Drove it for 100k miles without a oil change or anything and it just kept chugging along. I did have to add a quart every month or so. Sold it for $500 more than I paid for it after 4 years. Don't sweat the small stuff. Drive it til it lays down and quit getting so worked up over all the noises. Just turn the radio up. Good luck

Same here except 2000 Chevy half ton Silverado with 250,000 miles on it. It went 80,000 miles and not one oil change, just dumped some oil in every so often and still runs but frame is cracked above both rear wheel wells. Welded it once and last a while, not re- cracked in a different spot.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/03/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Plugged caths don't cause cracked manifolds! Nonuniform expansion and thermal stresses are what crack manifolds. I have engines with caths running on dynos at temps from -25°F to 140°F turning so hard the exhaust manifolds and pipes were glowing cherry red, never resulted in a cracked manifold. But of course never cooled them down artificially with air or water, they would blow for sure!

So if ur second smaller cat that is on exhaust pipe down aways,non meter or no sensors in it ,mine is below passenger floorboard about, is plug, it would not cause the new cast iron manifold to crack ? They do cut those out at shop, possibly small hole in muffler somewhere for months, been hear since last summer, not loud but different exhaust noise, kinda a tush, tush noise, could be worn valves at 237 k, 4 valves per cyl, was go take shop next week as concerned new manifold crack as there extremely busy lately, maybe not do nothing for couple months an have look at next oil change, if not chance crack manifold from noise if u say if a plug muffler or cat plug, that it crack cast iron new manifold, wierd, as all 3 manifolds seem to crack in real cold Jan weather, an drive for while an got worse around now, in march, the last drive from March until last July an replace an notice in extreme cold Kate Jan the manifold noise,

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/03/21 05:14 PM

Coonman, give it a rest, people are telling you its not clogged.

If it was clogged, that thing wouldn't Have enough power to pull a sick prostitute off a toilet and you wouldn't hear exhaust leaking at the muffler now would you?

Your gonna worry yourself to death over something you can't control. Go hand wash your traps to take your mind off it.

Ps, its not another cat. its a resonator which are hollow. Kind of a muffler.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 02:35 AM

Do reasonaters clog ?

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 05:23 PM

So u would definately be able to tell for sure as great loss power if resanotor was clog or clog muffler ? As I don't like take shop extra tell next time service to have look at an end up get muffler an expensive exhaust work done if just small hole by muffler is all is, unless noise is something worn with valves, been hear it since last summer, reasonaters work muffler to make right kinda exhaust noise I read, not sure if they clog ? As burns at least 2 qts plus in 3000, maybe 2.5 qts
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 05:47 PM

Dave, your certifiable. You'd find something wrong with a new pickup.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 06:10 PM

Ok when under warranttee but after that up, watch an hope not something that has lots stuff go wrong, to much stuff on new vechiles to wear out later on

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 06:47 PM

It’s clogged and your lifters are bent

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 08:11 PM

I don't believe that the case, just drive it, no loss power there noticable, no idea what kinda shape resonater in, maybe just wait couple months an see how runs an have oil change shop an ask about exhaust noise

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 08:14 PM

... have you tried changing your break fluid and replacing the passenger side blinker bulb ?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 10:03 PM

Loose nut behind the wheel?
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/04/21 10:16 PM

Put gas in it, add oil as needed, drive it and live your life. If it quits buy a different vechile. At some point you have to know when to quit sticking money into it. I've went past that point a couple times myself unfortunately.

Have you ever thought about a used SUV or a minivan. You can get them cheaper than a 4wd truck. Just a thought, you could pull the back seats out if they don't fold flat and put a tarp down with some totes and you got a trapping vehicle. If you wall off the front from the back it might help with any bad smell.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/05/21 01:16 AM

Savell, you're a bad, bad man lol

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/06/21 07:53 PM

Now park brake act up like wore out or something wrong pedal, don't engage until depressed aways, an really step on it so don't do this, take off after let clutch an hear like something like spring release, after release park brake, had all new park brake cables in 4 years ago, no openings shop for week ,I hope not one thing after another, I could buy another vechile an be worse, go broke on repairs
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/06/21 07:59 PM

Found exactly what you need!! Even has places to store traps and equipment.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/06/21 08:11 PM

Get a good truck and trailer and make money hauling with it everyone has truck trouble but they work through it that’s part of life.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/07/21 12:36 AM

What could haul if bought bigger truck an trailer? I interested but can't see it profitable

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/07/21 12:39 AM

... I give you a $1000 a load to haul mescins south... yanks north... and hippies west

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/07/21 12:52 AM

What could haul if bought bigger truck an trailer? I interested but can't see it profitable

If you had a truck and dump trailer and traveled a little. You could stay busy in Cedar Rapids hauling wood debris for a year or more. Worked there today and still a disaster from the derecho.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/07/21 02:00 AM

To expensive investment,not able get loan like that or for kinda interesrt, I thought cargo van or box truck bfore but around here I doubt u gonna make enough pay on it , ya if u had dump truck u could but major investment
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/07/21 02:51 AM

To expensive investment,not able get loan like that or for kinda interesrt, I thought cargo van or box truck bfore but around here I doubt u gonna make enough pay on it , ya if u had dump truck u could but major investment

You gotta spend money to make money.
But you just make excuses. How much money is that makeing you a week?

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/08/21 12:15 AM

Dump trailer would run around $6000 and used pick up older one could get for $10,000- $12,000. People are always looking to pay to haul stuff away. There is a guy around here that all he does is go around and pick up scrap metal that people give him for FREE!!!!!! He drives a dodge dakota and a pickup box trailer that you would swear would fall apart. The guy is loaded.

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/13/21 12:34 AM

Pickup is turn into money hole, hopefully not all once, had new park brake cables on few years back an now got get park brake mechism order from dealer at shop, $250 at least total bill, an maybe muffler, hope it not 1 thing after another, buy something else real expensive N maybe ssme deal

Re: Trapping vechile question - 04/13/21 12:35 AM

Pickup is turn into money hole, hopefully not all once, had new park brake cables on few years back an now got get park brake mechism order from dealer at shop, $250 at least total bill, an maybe muffler, hope it not 1 thing after another, buy something else real expensive N maybe ssme deal
© 2024 Trapperman Forums