Home

Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal...

Posted By: Canvasback2

Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 07:51 PM

2 questions:

1 . Could a guest of wind really turn that whole ship sideways , like they are saying happened ???

2. How long do you think it will take to get that ship unstuck ?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 09:18 PM

No, that's a lie, and a pretty dumb one. Other reports state the ship loss power right before it got stuck. Imagine that. Every little coverage of a fairly big story, its a lot longer around the Cape Horn. Someone wanted that ship stuck, just my opinion...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 09:23 PM

Why would they go around Cape Horn?
Its not the Panama canal that is blocked.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 09:24 PM

Must be the Cape of Good Hope.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 09:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:12 PM

Anything happening these days is suspect.. Why are some news outlets are calling it the EverGiven and not Evergreen?????

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:30 PM

The name of the ship is the evergiven.
The company that owns it is evergreen.

Some greenieweenie was driving it.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:41 PM

Yeah, I was even saying Cape Hope in my head as I typed Cape Horn. Western hemisphere bias...
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:45 PM

Built in Japan. Don't know if Japan operates it or not.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:49 PM

The Cape of good hope was the cape of storms at one time I believe but that was not very PC so they changed the name.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Built in Japan. Don't know if Japan operates it or not.

The owning company is Japanese. The ship is flagged in Panama. The crew is all Indian. At least that's what I read.

Here's a clip from an article I just read:

"The shipping crisis, now in its fifth day, has added to anxieties over the global supply chain which had already been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Each day of blockage disrupts more than $9 billion worth of goods, according to Lloyd's List, which translates to about $400 million per hour.
Some ship operators have already decided to re-route their vessels around Africa, anticipating that the Ever Given won't be dislodged soon."

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 10:56 PM

I saw pictures of them working on it with an excavator. They thought it would be freed this weekend.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 11:04 PM

Send in some BLM troops from Chicago and Minneapolis. That ship would be empty quick-like.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 11:32 PM

Send in some BLM troops from Chicago and Minneapolis. That ship would be empty quick-like.

And sitting up on blocks and burned.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/27/21 11:42 PM

Read somewhere that ship has a draft of 46 feet when fully loaded. They are going to be doing a lot of digging!!!
Posted By: whitetail1

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:24 AM

Dam Pilot wasn't paying attention because he was busy netting a fish. Been there done that!

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:50 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 03:01 AM

There is a short documentary on the ship problem on Utube. Tells the problems, causes, and difficult solutions. The ship is longer than the largest aircraft carrier and the size. And height catch more wind force than the tugs and thrusters can handle.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 03:13 AM

That’s funny Adam.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by OKforester
That’s funny Adam.

X2. Pretty good. Got a chuckle out of it.

Mike
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 03:32 AM

I bet Savell could get it out of there.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OKforester
That’s funny Adam.

Funny??? I thought it looked like a solid plan. LOL
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 07:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Can't be Dodges no soot clouds.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:29 AM

Reports say the back end of the ship has been freed and moved about 100' but the bow is still stuck. The full moon tonight is expected to raise the water level up to 18" and they're hoping to get'er loose. 220,000 tons of boat.
Posted By: ack

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:44 AM

Pretty sure they ain't telling the truth as to what is really behind this incident.
Look at this link of the path it took before entering the canal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...sailed-rude-shape-blocking-waterway.html

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:55 AM

Quite a history there behind the canal. Began in 1859 and completed in 1869 with slave labor, then closed for years during a war, then reopened. Very interesting.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
2 questions:

1 . Could a guest of wind really turn that whole ship sideways , like they are saying happened ???

Yes, it was the same gust of wind that blew over Biden.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 12:57 PM

That was his VP....
Posted By: John C

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 01:00 PM

Big ships do funky stuff in confined waters. Try trout fishing in an ICW canal as a PCS Phosphates tug and barge come through.
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 01:27 PM

Was the captain a female from egypt? Thats what I heard but dont know if its true. Kinda wondering with everything so pc and about equality if that is the case maybe she wasnt the most qualified for the job.....
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by riverratdm
Was the captain a female from egypt? Thats what I heard but dont know if its true. Kinda wondering with everything so pc and about equality if that is the case maybe she wasnt the most qualified for the job.....

Yep lettin them drive was a bigger mistake than lettin them vote! laugh
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:02 PM

She was qualified just under paid.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

Yep lettin them drive was a bigger mistake than lettin them vote! laugh

And teachin them how to talk........
Posted By: warrior

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:05 PM

I thought wimmenfolk were badluck on boats.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 02:05 PM

Since the waterway was built with slave labor, I can't believe the Dimrats haven't gone over there and shut it down! Maybe Egypt don't cotton to the BLM stuff?
Posted By: jk

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 08:20 PM

Normally there is a port captain in charge of the boat in tight waterways. Is that who was in charge or was the company captain in charge? I remember seeing the port captain climb up a long stairway from the little boat he was driven in out to the big boat that he would temporarily command in port......jk
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 08:29 PM

Since the waterway was built with slave labor, I can't believe the Dimrats haven't gone over there and shut it down! Maybe Egypt don't cotton to the BLM stuff?

I was thinking the same thing.
Posted By: white17

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 08:44 PM

That would of course be Egyptian cotton !
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
2 questions:

Sorry for the late reply. I had some weather issues here with no network and electrickery due to t storms.

1: The ship traffic in the Suez canal travels at very slow speeds, more so in the southern part as they go in both directions there . When a ship goes slow, there is a lot less authority on the rudder and the big container ships of today have one heck of a lot of windage ( area affected by the wind above the water line ) Its basically a huge sail, so yes they can get pushed of course with sudden wind and not enough speed for the rudder.

2: That ship weighs around 200 000 metric tons and depending how far it has buried its nose in the sand, is directly related to how long ints going to take to dig it out. They will more than likely have to get a big dredger there to dredge around the bow and raise the water level in the canal if they can. But I would think it will take a couple of weeks to get that pot moving again if all goes well. A moth or two if it doesn't. Its not easy to dig a 50 foot deep hole in sand under water. It just flows back into the hole you are excavating so they will have to move an unpropostional amount of wet sand to get that thing free.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 08:53 PM

[Linked Image]

Fake >>>>. That turnip could never get up the steps to the bridge.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:02 PM

Scuba: would moving the sand with high pressure water be effective ? The data I have seen say the maximum draft for a ship is 66 feet. If this one is 46 feet then there should be room under the keel to push that sand into deeper water

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:05 PM

They need a few beavers there to raise the water.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:22 PM

To me, it seems like some careful demolition of the ship with explosives would be the quickest, cheapest way to get the canal open. They could haul the pieces out with tugs. Being stuck is costing the world billions of dollars.

Keith

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:25 PM

They would have to unload it to demolish it.
They could likely easily float it if they unloaded it.Apparently where it is at it would take weeks to just unload it.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
To me, it seems like some careful demolition of the ship with explosives would be the quickest, cheapest way to get the canal open. They could haul the pieces out with tugs. Being stuck is costing the world billions of dollars.

Keith

Actually, I believe blasting the sand is a realistic possibility that has been used in similar situations......but not blasting the ship
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by John C
Big ships do funky stuff in confined waters. Try trout fishing in an ICW canal as a PCS Phosphates tug and barge come through.

Worked with a guy who had been a helmsman through the Suez and said at times he would have 15 degrees of rudder to counter the bank cushion. Also, ship tonnage is not actual weight, but rather a calculation of cargo space. And it would be a pilot, not a port captain giving guidance to whoever is giving helm commands
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:50 PM

Of course they are dealing with tides also. I've worked on the river tow boats all my life and have been aground before. I can't believe that if they put it to backing hard and swing the stern back and forth that that thing wouldn't wiggle off the shore in a high tide.

Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:51 PM

Do they employ tugs to keep those ships straight or are they basically worthless trying to steer such a large vessel?

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 09:52 PM

I was wondering about the tides. Are they the same on both ends of the canal ? How much is the water level affected at the ship's location ?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:11 PM

Been through there a time or two. Not a whole lot of room to maneuver, in fact it looked like you could jump from the port or starboard side of the ship and hit sand at times.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:13 PM

Looks like they have semi diurnal tides and peak of the series is Wednesday morning. What I read is that north of the lake in the middle the current runs one way half the year and the other way half the year. And South of the lake tide ebbs and floods on Suez tide tables

Attached picture 179689B8-ED83-4922-A62C-A0B056394EA4.png

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Scuba: would moving the sand with high pressure water be effective ? The data I have seen say the maximum draft for a ship is 66 feet. If this one is 46 feet then there should be room under the keel to push that sand into deeper water

The volume you would have to shift is pretty big and so is the distance. On this large of a scale I think they'll go with dredging and leading the dredging pipes ashore and deposit the sand water mix there. they can't just go and unload the bow to make it lighter and come up as the thing would snap right half in two.

You cant pull it off with tugs either as its to heavy and the number of tugs needed for that job would really clog the canal up. I think the largest tug from Smit ( a dutch salvage company) has a post pull of 220 tons and thats but a drop in a bucket for what would be needed.

Cutting the thing up would take months

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:27 PM

Jarl; am I reading that correctly ? About a 7 foot change in water level ?

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:29 PM

That makes sense. Thanks Scuba

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Jarl; am I reading that correctly ? About a 7 foot change in water level ?

Or closer to 6. From a .95 to a 7.02

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:31 PM

Thanks !!

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
[Linked Image]

Fake >>>>. That turnip could never get up the steps to the bridge.

laugh lmbo because it's true laugh
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:39 PM

Yep. Small tides. Yesterday' high was only a little under 6 feet, coming off a 2 foot low, so not much water.
Just goes to show, a high tide doesn't neccissarily float all boats!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:47 PM

I was wondering if a few of the big freight helos could start taking the top layer of containers off as the dredging works on the bottom

seems like if a Helo can lift a Tank , it should be able to lift a container and move it to shore and go back for another

a layer or 3 of containers should make it sit a a bit higher
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:49 PM

I bet one thing is certain. A few countries are paying close attention to the world economic and strategic ramifications of a unusable Suez canal. Also how easy it was to plug it up, and how long to unplug it....
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
I bet one thing is certain. A few countries are paying close attention to the world economic and strategic ramifications of a unusable Suez canal. Also how easy it was to plug it up, and how long to unplug it....

if 2020 and 2021 are a lesson in anything it is that "Just in Time shipping" just isn't in time when you have anything go wrong.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I was wondering if a few of the big freight helos could start taking the top layer of containers off as the dredging works on the bottom

seems like if a Helo can lift a Tank , it should be able to lift a container and move it to shore and go back for another

a layer or 3 of containers should make it sit a a bit higher

Now I do wonder what is in those containers? Mixed cargo, normal? Who knows, could be full of military cargo? Sure is stacked high.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I was wondering if a few of the big freight helos could start taking the top layer of containers off

I don't think that is realistic. Even the Sikorsky Sky Cranes can barely handle 20, 000 pounds and that will be much reduced by the temperatures in the area. But even empty, a 40 foot container weighs between 8-9000 pounds. Also, there are very few sky-cranes left in operation.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/28/21 11:28 PM

Scuttle it right there and go back to shipping around the horn of Africa like in the past.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 01:37 AM

Use one of these and see what happens if nothing else it would be fun to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Scuttle it right there and go back to shipping around the horn of Africa like in the past.

They would but its tough to fiddle a 40 foot container through all those rigging lines on a square rigged windjammer
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

The HET's (heavy equipment transporters) that I worked on during Desert Storm were delivered via the Suez canal.
I'm quite sure that Iran is viewing this with great interest.
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 02:10 AM

I don't know much about salvaging but it seems to me if it's unloaded the wrong way the hull could crack and that would really jam things up.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by rszwieg
I don't know much about salvaging but it seems to me if it's unloaded the wrong way the hull could crack and that would really jam things up.

Yes there is a loading and unloading plan that has to be followed or it will break up.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by rszwieg

Yes there is a loading and unloading plan that has to be followed or it will break up.

Scuba; I know that a lot of containers are washed overboard in the Gulf of Alaska. How does the operator compensate for that change in weight distribution while still making headway ?

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 02:45 AM

Its blown out of proportion-the Suez canal has been closed 5 or 6 times at least since it opened.
It was closed for 8 years from 67 to 75 due to wars in the middle east.
It is nothing but a shortcut.

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 03:24 AM

Liquid such as fuel or ballast water can be moved to change the trim of a vessel. Though it’s not gonna happen as fast as losing a stack of containers smile
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Scuba1 : That ship stuck in the Suez Canal... - 03/29/21 05:21 AM

She is back afloat now.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums