Home

Why do you carry? CPL?

Posted By: Thumbian

Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 10:28 PM

Here in Michigan you need a CPL (concealed pistol license) to carry concealed. The only reason I went through the training in ~1996 and other requirements since to keep the license was so I could carry my single six much easier for trapping. Got to be such a pain unloading and casing between stops. Huge time saver to just keep it on my hip. Still carry it but I usually use the death ray now.

I’m glad I have the CPL as I started carrying when I went to Detroit or the tri cities. Probably should carry all the time but seems a tad burdensome for my rural area.

For you guys that need some sort of license to carry was the reason to go through the process for trapping, hunting or self defense?
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 10:36 PM

I don't need a license, and I don't carry all the time. But my reason for carrying is like this:

Occasionally I'll forget to put a knife in my pocket. I HATE not having a knife when I need one. Now, how much more would I hate needing a gun and not having one?
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 10:41 PM

I originally got it for trapping convenience, but that started to change as crime started to grow in my area even though it’s very rural so now I carry primarily because I might need it to save my life, it doesn’t hurt that I work in the suburbs nowadays either
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 10:54 PM

One reason I push for people to use a paddle holster setup it’s as easy as it gets and humans become complacent over time.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 10:56 PM

Mostly for self defense. When not working at home due to Covid, I work in La Crosse and there is a growing element there that is less than friendly to fat, old white guys. Had an unprovoked incident once where one stepped out from the curb to the middle of my lane and glared at me. He was with others of his ilk and so I made the decision to just keep on driving as he stepped aside and glared at me. 6 days after that I had my concealed carry permit and a pistol on me. I flatly refuse to be a victim.

Moosetrot
Posted By: rex123

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 11:01 PM

I am an old white guy . Nuf said.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/27/21 11:31 PM

I was riding my motorcycle in TN. Stopped at a rest area for a brake. A guy a little younger than myself pulled up and we shot the breeze for a few minutes. When he got ready to leave he said," are you packing, I do not want to know but if not you should be".
You will never know until the time come.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:23 AM

I had a CC permit years ago when you needed one to CC. It was issued through the local PD station and the chief wasn't in any hurry to issue it. At that time, we were required to take a CC course before they would grant the permit. My certificate and application loitered on his desk or a good long until he ran out of excuses to give me the permit. Maybe he got tired of me calling his office. He held out until he couldn't hold out any longer.

I always carry when I leave the house. If it isn't on my person, it's in the console of my truck. I also have guns and ammo within arms reach around my home. Even up here, enough crazy stuff happens from time to time to warrant having a firearm handy.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
I was riding my motorcycle in TN. Stopped at a rest area for a brake. A guy a little younger than myself pulled up and we shot the breeze for a few minutes. When he got ready to leave he said," are you packing, I do not want to know but if not you should be".
You will never know until the time come.

Got that Right

Thats Why I carry
Posted By: adam m

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:52 AM

I carry for defense & mountain activities. I've been in the situation where you really wished you had a gun, it's not a fun feeling. Thankfully I wasn't hit any of the times.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:58 AM

As a teacher, coach, and athletic director, I have had my wife's, children's, and my life threatened. When you wake up in the morning and believe your loved ones life is in peril, you carry, when ever possible. Local law enforcement have told me to.
Gun free schools scare me, a lot!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:59 AM

I parked at a grocery store Friday. Didnt see the pit bull in the pickup beside me. Guy inside with it and the window down. Dog jumped up in the window. Guy grabbed its collar. What if he had missed that grab or the collar broke? Gun is a good tool. Like a pocket knife if you need it you need it.

Before anyone asks, no I did not draw my weapon. I was glad I had it. You just never know
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I parked at a grocery store Friday. Didnt see the pit bull in the pickup beside me. Guy inside with it and the window down. Dog jumped up in the window. Guy grabbed its collar. What if he had missed that grab or the collar broke? Gun is a good tool. Like a pocket knife if you need it you need it.

Before anyone asks, no I did not draw my weapon. I was glad I had it. You just never know

Dang that sounds almost like what happened to me here except it was an old conversion van and the dog came halfway out a bubble window with some lady holding onto its back leg keeping it hanging half out the window snarling at me while I backed into the gas station where I stayed

I did pull my pistol and if that dog had hit the ground I would have fired, the police arrived and had a good long talk with the van driver, apparently they were well known as the dog had a history having attached a person before

Cop just asked me if I was alright

By the way I was only about 4 feet or so away from that window when the dog came through it, would have been a bad thing even with a gun on me if the lady hadn’t been holding it back leg
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:14 AM

Because a cop, however useful or not, is too hvy to carry.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:39 AM

I never had a CC permit until abt a year ago
I’m to old to run, and with all the black unrest around I decided to get a permit
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:45 AM

I will not be a defenseless victim. Only time I don’t have a piece on my side is in the shower or in bed.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:48 AM

There won't be a "shooting", if it involves me it will be a gun fight! There is no justice you are the one responsible for your safety.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 02:09 AM

Sent mine in on my 18th birthday. Had one ever since. Well I did carry a few years on it expired before I realized it. Got a lifetime permit when they became available so that wont happen again.

I got it for hunting, shooting, and personal protection.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 02:16 AM

I carried one every day to work for 20 years as part of my job, continue to carry everyday now. I have a CPL that is valid in all 50 states and DC.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 02:20 AM

it took us many years in WI to get CC , we were almost to defeating the prohibition on it when the legislature passed a decent CC bill in 2011. first day you could apply Nov 1 2011 my application and check was in the mail that day. 15 days later my CCL arrived.

wallet with cash card machines can be down or people may not take cards
credit card for emergencies
spare tire
jack
tools
tow straps
fire extinguisher
health insurance
auto insurance
medical kit
medical training
mechanical training
food , medicine, water , backup heat , alternate cooking methods

Living the motto BE-Prepared from tiger to eagle and beyond

so when I walk out the door , My door check is

Wallet , keys , knife , phone , flashlight , gun

I have not needed my gun yet , I have used it a few times they weren't needs but it was handy.

2 neighbors have had their dogs attacked by pit bull and Rottweiler within a couple blocks one in their own yard. one the neighbor was injured as well in that event the dog was killed and she had bites about her hands and wrists the other only the dog was inured.

I live in a small rural town but that doesn't mean a cop hasn't chases a truck thief through my back yard in the middle of the day.

just because where you live is small and rural doesn't mean there isn't major drug trafficking routes right down the state highway through town.

it doesn't mean that the guy down the street isn't dealing , it has happened.

I would rather carry around a few guns over the majority of my live and wear them out than to find once that I needed a gun and didn't have one.

my primary carry gun shows the wear if being carried for the last 9 years

before CCL in WI well there wasn't ever a gun too far away
Posted By: EdP

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 12:09 PM

Another way to approach the question is: Where would you feel safe not being armed and able to defend yourself and family? Church, grocery store, country music concert, school, movie theater? Seems like they would be some of the safest places but all have been targets of shooters. Then there are the businesses with disgruntled employees and fast food restaurants and we have not even started on the list of places that street criminals and druggies target. AT 66 I can't run as fast as I once could but I could never outrun a bullet so it doesn't matter. I carry for self defense because you never know when or where bad stuff may happen. The convenience of having my dispatch weapon on my belt was just a plus.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 01:49 PM

There are untold, viable reasons above for CC. Here in Nebraska we can open carry with no problems in the western 2/3 of the state.
I went through the training and FBI range test shortly after the permit was available. Nebraska has the most stringent CC laws in the country.
Between the current state of society and doing wildlife control it is very handy to have a firearm available.
I did a tour in Vietnam with the 101st ABN and pray to the good Lord I never have to draw on another human again.
Roy
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 02:37 PM

nice to carry between stops as mentioned my main reason is I dawdle a lot on the state land here during the summer, early fall months call it scouting if you want wouldn't think of doing that without protection
Posted By: jk

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 07:59 PM

Is that true, you can carry in all states? I bet you cant in NJ and i am sure i have heard of some others that I can not think of. I am sure you can not carry in NJ......jk

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 08:24 PM

HR 218
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 10:51 PM

My life is as important to my family and to me as any cops life is to his family or or his self. That law should apply to all of us.

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/28/21 11:31 PM

My life is as important to my family and to me as any cops life is to his family or or his self. That law should apply to all of us.

Agree 100%
Posted By: Marty

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/29/21 02:46 AM

I am not stupid so I carry a firearm everywhere, that way I will be able to defend my life with it if I have to do so.....
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/29/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
it took us many years in WI to get CC , we were almost to defeating the prohibition on it when the legislature passed a decent CC bill in 2011. first day you could apply Nov 1 2011 my application and check was in the mail that day. 15 days later my CCL arrived.

wallet with cash card machines can be down or people may not take cards
credit card for emergencies
spare tire
jack
tools
tow straps
fire extinguisher
health insurance
auto insurance
medical kit
medical training
mechanical training
food , medicine, water , backup heat , alternate cooking methods

Living the motto BE-Prepared from tiger to eagle and beyond

so when I walk out the door , My door check is

Wallet , keys , knife , phone , flashlight , gun

I have not needed my gun yet , I have used it a few times they weren't needs but it was handy.

2 neighbors have had their dogs attacked by pit bull and Rottweiler within a couple blocks one in their own yard. one the neighbor was injured as well in that event the dog was killed and she had bites about her hands and wrists the other only the dog was inured.

I live in a small rural town but that doesn't mean a cop hasn't chases a truck thief through my back yard in the middle of the day.

just because where you live is small and rural doesn't mean there isn't major drug trafficking routes right down the state highway through town.

it doesn't mean that the guy down the street isn't dealing , it has happened.

I would rather carry around a few guns over the majority of my live and wear them out than to find once that I needed a gun and didn't have one.

my primary carry gun shows the wear if being carried for the last 9 years

before CCL in WI well there wasn't ever a gun too far away

I had an incident on Wednesday that could have turned out much differently than it did.
My dog was attacked by a neighbors dog, but fortunately the owner of the other dog tackled his dog before I was able to peel my glove off and draw.
I'm so relieved that the situation didn't get as messy as I was prepared to make it.
Does your medical kit include a trauma kit (tourniquet, pressure dressing and chest seals)?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Why do you carry? CPL? - 03/29/21 04:05 AM

That is something I agree with!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums