Home

Goose berries

Posted By: Broomchaser

Goose berries - 03/28/21 02:08 PM

I have enjoyed the wild variety since I can remember. Fresh off the vine or in pies. My son just got us two plants. Not sure of the variety. Any tips on growing them and keeping them healthy?
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Goose berries - 03/28/21 02:29 PM

Had one on the farm by the rail fence nobody touched it for 50 years that i know of did fine
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Goose berries - 03/28/21 02:53 PM

Keep it watered pretty good at first and use some good quality compost for fertilizer. They're easy to grow and don't tend to have many problems.
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Goose berries - 03/28/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Keep it watered pretty good at first and use some good quality compost for fertilizer. They're easy to grow and don't tend to have many problems.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Goose berries - 03/28/21 06:45 PM

My favorite cobbler..... Dang, now I gotta go find a patch
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Goose berries - 03/28/21 10:34 PM

Regular pruning out of old wood is important if you want to keep them producing fruit yearly. There is a bit more to it than other bushes - google it.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Goose berries - 03/29/21 12:23 AM

My folks had a couple of gooseberry bushes and I doubt if they ever got pruned once in all the years I was growing up. Produced bumper crops every year. Not that pruning isn't a good idea, it surely is. Just saying they are more forgiving then say blueberries or raspberries.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Goose berries - 03/29/21 12:53 AM

Love gooseberry pie. My grandmother and I would pick them in the Ozarks and she would make a pie. Hard to beat. Wish I would have got her recipe.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums