Home

Soil PH Testing Options

Posted By: Eagleye

Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:03 PM

I've utilized feed stores and University Extensions to conduct soil PH testing on soil samples in the past, the University Extensions are a great resource. Looking for convivence as I have a variety of different soil locations I'd like to test, I know- when in doubt add lime but I'd rather dial it in a little closer for accuracy. Has anyone used PH test kits or the battery operated probes with good results?
Posted By: Choo

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:14 PM

I would say take your money and send in samples to a lab. Only need to sample every 2-3 years. I would also disagree with when in doubt add lime I've seen some places where major phosphorus or potassium def was the main issues and not lime even though they appeared to be low ph soils. Most of those do it your self samplers are not going to be accurate or reliable enough to bet money on them, their going to cost you money on both ends.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:29 PM

Litmus paper.
Every sample I sent to ag extension office, I cross checked myself.
Exactly the same results.
Though the ag tests are a lot more detailed.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:42 PM

If you want to do a quick test to see you can do the bubble test. Get two cups, divide the soil between the two, add water. To one, add vinegar, to the other add baking soda. Whichever of the two causes bubbling you'll know your acidic with the soda and alkaline with vinegar. Strong reactions either way you'll know something is way off, not that some plants don't love it.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Litmus paper.
Every sample I sent to ag extension office, I cross checked myself.
Exactly the same results.
Though the ag tests are a lot more detailed.

This is helpful... sometimes on these threads I don't want to be so specific that no one answers- with that said, I was hoping to hear from someone that cross-referenced the results. Good to know!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 12:44 PM

The ag tests are great for checking mineral deficiencies
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Soil PH Testing Options - 03/29/21 01:48 PM

The labs will test your soils most accurately. Not all labs test secondary and micro nutrients.
In Wisconsin, Extension has a good lab at the Marshfield Experimental Farm, also Dairyland Labs in Arcadia.
I suggest sampling all over your fields. Every 5 acres is best.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums