Home

Found a historical grave

Posted By: Jiggamitch

Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 05:43 AM

Took my son turkey hunting a couple days ago and found this grave out in the woods. It belongs to W W Bourland. From what I've found, this is the son of the confederate colonel who was responsible for the great hanging in Gainsville, TX. The largest mass lynching ever. Really interesting history connected to this family. Of course I cannot get the pictures to load. I don't know why it's so difficult to load pictures on here.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 09:23 AM

Not difficult at all. Are you getting an error message?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 10:49 AM

Mitch that is a cool story. When I have trouble loading a pic it is too big so I use pixresizer which is a free download or text them to my own email and use that one b/c it automatically resized it for me.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 02:09 PM

I was asked to trap badgers at a old cemetery last summer sad headstones there smaller then a cereal box some only read Mom or Dad no last names or dates.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 02:18 PM

That's super cool. Just a random gravestone out in the woods?
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 03:13 PM

Cool, I got a area that has a old headstone says C K 1891 on it.
Get coyotes there every year.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 03:14 PM

Ooops meant headstone, lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Took my son turkey hunting a couple days ago and found this grave out in the woods. It belongs to W W Bourland. From what I've found, this is the son of the confederate colonel who was responsible for the great hanging in Gainsville, TX. The largest mass lynching ever. Really interesting history connected to this family. Of course I cannot get the pictures to load. I don't know why it's so difficult to load pictures on here.

Use photo re sizer ap. Photos load fast then 600x800pxls.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 04:04 PM

I use to have a piece of property with a family grave yard on it. It had one large headstone that said Pryor family with the dates of the 2 parents. Also had 4 of the small round top marble headstones that said infant son died 1856, ...1857....1858....1859. 4 stones for 4 infant sons. Always felt kinda sad about their loss when I was cleaning up the sight.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 04:19 PM

Two of us where hunting grouse a number of years back and came across an old cemetery from the turn of the century. Most appeared to be young WWI soldiers with military style head stones. Recently on the news it was reported the the cemetery had been rediscovered again and local VFW and other local organizations removed brush and trees that had over grown the place, cleaned it up real nice too.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 04:30 PM

Used to fish a creek s of beaver Oklahoma for flatheads. We parked at the old cemetery, and would walk down the hill to the water. One day we got the bug and went and looked at the 'stones. All kids, dead from the spanish flu id guess, hundreds of em.

After that, we called it the dead baby cemetery.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 05:10 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We were just in Deadwood, SD.
Wild Bill and Calamity Janes Gravesite at Mt. Mariah Graveyard ...Beautiful resting place.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 05:15 PM

There are a lot of small, old family plots around here. It used to be common to have a family cemetery on the farm where generations of the same family are buried. What always struck me about the very old ones are the high number of young children in them.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 05:16 PM

In the old pioneer cemetery close to my house I was always impressed by how many young mothers and infant children were buried there. Surviving childbirths was precarious.
Posted By: trapOH

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 05:32 PM

We have one on property I trap , was a train wreck 1892, there is about a dozen headstones in a little patch of woods next to the tracks.
http://www.gendisasters.com/ohio/468/shreve%2C-oh-train-wreck%2C-sept-1892
Posted By: GRP

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 06:03 PM

I know many of us trappers yearn for the olden frontier days. As many of you have posted, many tours of 19th century cemeteries state the fact that childbirth and infancy were oft a perilous venture. I am very thankful for modern medicine. In the Deep South, yellow fever was an epidemic. Towns and cities were completely wiped out. Some cemeteries here are solely for yellow fever burials. It was a mosquito borne disease. Near rivers was a prime place to build a town for shipping, but they didn't know the dangers of yellow fever. Google yellow fever Grenada MS. It's heartbreaking.

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
That's super cool. Just a random gravestone out in the woods?

It's a large headstone and concrete tomb in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 06:46 PM

Cool pics 330 I love DW SD and the entire Black Hills Region

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 06:48 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you, the resizing app worked!

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 06:51 PM

Cool find and good luck on the kids turkey huntin!

We are about 10 days ahead of u weather wise it is green and fixin to git tall down here
Posted By: wytex

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 07:11 PM

That's down stream from my spouse's family place along the Red.
Keep an eye out for morels !

Found this interesting article about that area : https://www.gainesvilleregister.com...976ba5a-89e9-11e4-b6c8-af341068007b.html

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/30/21 09:13 PM

Lol I found that article when I started searching the name. I was also keeping an eye out for morels!
Posted By: RWdogline

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/31/21 05:53 PM

I was on an elk/mule deer several years ago in Colorado. On afar away point was a lone cedar that stuck out like a sore thumb. Under that was 12 foot circle fenced in. Eventually I ended up on this point to glass. There was a headstone That said here lies Mountain man Simon Tanner. He died in 1928. I asked the rancher some history on it. His wishes were to be buried on the point
above his cabin at the cedar. Due to deep snow the people that found him packed him in the snow till the spring of 1929 and granted his last wish. Let me tell you the view from this spot to this day is the most majestic I
Have ever laid eyes on. The rancher said a handsome offer was made from Oprah Winnfrey to purchase this piece but was turned down

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/31/21 06:01 PM

That's awesome!
Posted By: charles

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/31/21 06:17 PM

Looks like he climbed out.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/31/21 09:56 PM

A lot of the headstones I find near old cabin foundations here in New Jersey are like this one for a child who was born and died in 1804. The stone reads " J A mas born the yaer 1.8.4". Both the "W" in "was" being upside down and the spelling for year being "yaer" is common on old headstones around here. Possibly due to the large amount of Dutch settlers here at that point in time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Found a historical grave - 03/31/21 11:09 PM

Looks like he got up and left. Did i miss something?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Found a historical grave - 04/01/21 12:05 AM

There was an old family cemetery on the hill above a mine I worked in. We had to mine around it. One day, the state police showed up at my office....they were doing an investigation. Someone took a small backhoe into the gravesite and dug up a half dozen graves. The police speculated that they were looking for gold dental fillings and jewelry. Old graves weren’t dug very deep.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Found a historical grave - 04/01/21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch

[Linked Image]

Thank you, the resizing app worked!

I see he was a Freemason.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Found a historical grave - 04/01/21 01:50 AM

On top of a little mountain in the Hill country of Texas I found the grave of Erwin Bauer, 1982

Re: Found a historical grave - 04/01/21 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Claypool313
Looks like he got up and left. Did i miss something?

Well he went somewhere, cause it was empty when I found it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums