Home

hound hunters

Posted By: k9-hunter

hound hunters - 03/30/21 03:20 PM

just wondering on how many trappers on here own hounds
Posted By: okcoonhunter

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 04:11 PM

I do but I found out a few years ago not to talk about it on this board. Got told what a sorry blankety blank blank hound hunters were and how we were ruining things for trappers. lol I love to do both but an older " gentleman" on here was determined to put me in my place.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 04:12 PM

Many years ago prior to my serious trapping activities.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 04:12 PM

I second that motion.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 04:13 PM

Oh boy...here we go again! I own hounds and trap...both to extremes.
Posted By: adam m

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
Oh boy...here we go again! I own hounds and trap...both to extremes.

X2
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:13 PM

well its nice to know there is other houndsman/trapper/hunters out there!
I dont agree with everything fellow trappers do as i dont agree with what other hound guys do but in the end if we cant get along as sportsman than the antis already have us defeated
Posted By: walleye101

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by okcoonhunter
I do but I found out a few years ago not to talk about it on this board. Got told what a sorry blankety blank blank hound hunters were and how we were ruining things for trappers. lol I love to do both but an older " gentleman" on here was determined to put me in my place.

Yep, being a hound man also, I can hardly stand myself.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:25 PM

Start the countdown to the babies whining about trespassing dogs killing their coons, coyotes, etc... they are out there ready to pounce like a cat on a songbird.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:29 PM

gee, my cur is only 5 months old, should i stop training her now?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:33 PM

A couple friends of mine had coonhounds and I had a blast going along with them from time to time. Lots of fun stories. Sometimes I would hunt with them until 2:00 am and then go right to checking traps. Fun times, I was a lot younger then.

I have shot bears over hounds on guided hunts (Idaho and Maine). Very interesting, but really not for me. When it comes to bear hunting, I like to enjoy the quiet natural sounds and sights of the woods, so the noisy chaos of hound hunting doesn't appeal to me even though I enjoyed the hunts I was on. To each his own.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:40 PM

Ran beagle hounds for years some of the best times.
Posted By: RFrame

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:58 PM

I had hounds but sold them a few years ago cause I didn’t have time to hunt them as much as they should be. Wish I had never got rid of them. I’m getting a hound pup next week and have a Ladner cur pup coming sometime in July. I’m sure I’ll end up buying or borrowing a good broke older dog also to help get my pups going.

I ran into a few hound guys a couple months ago while I was out checking traps. Told them where my traps were and exchanged phone numbers with them. Also told them where a fresh kill was that was only a couple days old and showed them some video of the lion coming back to it the night after he killed it. They were appreciative and told me they’d let me know if they saw anyone besides me messing around where my traps were.

I don’t know why we can’t all get along.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Start the countdown to the babies whining about trespassing dogs killing their coons, coyotes, etc... they are out there ready to pounce like a cat on a songbird.

And you sitting on the fence stirring the pot

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 06:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Munderf
Ran beagle hounds for years some of the best times.

You gotta wonder about any man who don't enjoy a good pack of hounds.
Posted By: headache73

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 07:08 PM

I sold out a few years ago for health reasons. That being said, ain't nothing like a bawl mouth hound echoing across the bottoms on a good cloudy night. My buddy's send me videos, so I get my fix
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 07:23 PM

As a trapper I've found some hound guys I could work with and were great people and others....well, if you can't say sumthin' nice, better nuthin' at all.

But I feel that way about all low down egg sucking thieves! LOL
Posted By: wytex

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 07:25 PM

Missed somethin' I guess.
No problems out this way and I love seeing hounds getting some work in.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 07:45 PM

If we can keep this thread civil that would be great....
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 07:50 PM

Beagles
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 08:19 PM

If the keeping it civil comment was directed to me, the "LOL" behind the comment denotes it as a facetious remark with no ill will intended. Sorry!
Posted By: Bmattison

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
[quote=BvrRetriever]Oh boy...here we go again! I own hounds and trap...both to extremes.

Me too!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 08:48 PM

The manager at the plantation has a buddy that has coon hounds. I’ll trip the traps near the creeks so they can run, on one condition...I get invited on the hunt! Last run I went on we got 2 coons and one that made it up in a hole. Ole boy used his camera and light off his phone and shoved it up in the hole to take a video. Apparently that counts as treed if in a competition.
I have no problem with running any type of hounds. I can’t stand the strays that are dumped out in the middle of nowhere running anything and everything.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by k9-hunter
well its nice to know there is other houndsman/trapper/hunters out there!
I dont agree with everything fellow trappers do as i dont agree with what other hound guys do but in the end if we cant get along as sportsman than the antis already have us defeated

I couldn't agree more! My biggest fear is catching someone's expensive dog in a snare. It seems that even though I have permission, many hunters don't. And when they lose their dog, the trappers get blamed. But then again, LO's give out permission without telling them about the others and then in the end nothing works out for any of us. Not saying that all trappers or hunters are perfect but we need to work together before we lose it all!

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:09 PM

I always turned loose where I had permission. After that it was out of my hands grin

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by headache73
I always turned loose where I had permission. After that it was out of my hands grin

laugh That'll stir them up. lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:38 PM

Probably good and bad hounders as there are trappers.
Not an issue at all where I am,but from what others have said in the past, hound hunters and their political lobby have been responsible for some restrictions on snaring and trapping.
When you are seen as taking the bread and butter off the childrens dinner plate there will be animosity.
Another point altogether from what I have read is tresspass issues in areas that are overcrowded with people/private landowners.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:52 PM

I don’t own any, but am all for it. Maybe one day I’ll get a couple Redbone coon hounds, name them Old Dan and Little Ann.

A buddy of mine runs coon dogs, boy it is thrilling hearing them tree a coon.

I really want to get after mountain lions and bears with hounds!

One day Rob, one day...

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Probably good and bad hounders as there are trappers.
Not an issue at all where I am,but from what others have said in the past, hound hunters and their political lobby have been responsible for some restrictions on snaring and trapping.
When you are seen as taking the bread and butter off the childrens dinner plate there will be animosity.
Another point altogether from what I have read is tresspass issues in areas that are overcrowded with people/private landowners.

Yep, there are also completely unreasonable nuts on both sides of the line too. There is a good middle ground but some are too crazy to see it.

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
I don’t own any, but am all for it. Maybe one day I’ll get a couple Redbone coon hounds, name them Old Dan and Little Ann.

One day Rob, one day...

Sounds like a good plan Rob. I have trapped all my life, and been along on several hound hunts. I never owned hounds though, except a beagle but he only hunted female dogs to hump. lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:13 PM

I remember setting traps on opening day, running hounds that night all night, then checking traps in the morning. That was 30-some years ago, but fortunately there is still trappers and hound hunters around here!
Posted By: cattails

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:25 PM

At the top of the page. No Politics . No Advertising . and.........No talking about hound hunting LOL
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:47 PM

For 40 yrs I raised and trained bird dogs. Wouldn't call them hounds though. laugh
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

One day Rob, one day...

Sounds like a good plan Rob. I have trapped all my life, and been along on several hound hunts. I never owned hounds though, except a beagle but he only hunted female dogs to hump. lol

Wonder who he learned that off of????
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 10:55 PM

Lol
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: hound hunters - 03/30/21 11:00 PM

Ran coon hounds all my life. Places to run are hard to find here now so let the last one go two years ago. Have seven beagles now and run them every chance I get.
Posted By: learch

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 01:30 AM

Had coon hounds in high school forty years ago. Great memories I will never forget. Today we are under constant attack by a hound hunter in the know with our fish and game department. He plays dirty and is relentless in bringing trapping down. No disrespect to anyone here whatsoever.

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 01:52 AM

I see both sides of the trespass issue. People move out from the city on 10 acres and want to call the sheriff anytime a guy crosses them to get their dogs. But honestly, I've trespassed myself trying to get dogs without waking anyone up. I've been shot at, and stopped by deputies, but I've also met good folks and gotten permission to come back, all in the middle of the night. I have never had an issue with trappers and my dogs, or hunters with my traps. I've actually found traps that still had the tags and returned them, because that's what I would expect someone to do with mine.

Bottom line is, we're all on the same side in this
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 02:31 AM

4 Plott hounds here.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 02:46 AM

I have owned and hunted with quite a few coon hounds and beagles plus ran a lot of traps in my younger days too. Was a lot younger then. My hounds were getting old and so was I causing me to come to the conclusion to retire from hound hunting and just trap. I really missed the hounds at times and still do occasionally. I did go bear hunting with hounds about 25 years ago and had a ball.
Over my lifetime (66 years) I have had traps and fur stolen by so called hound hunters and so called trappers. Thankfully it has been a rare occurrence.
The bottom line is a thief is a thief and neither one represents a true sportsman from either group.
Posted By: Howell Bros

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 03:07 AM

Trapping and hounds keep my fur season busy. Just can’t understand how someone doesn’t love the sound of a decent pair of hounds running track and treeing. Wish I could hear it every night.
Posted By: tdillon

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 03:24 AM

have been around hounds my whole life, and still enjoy following them! dad and i have spent our best time together under the stars chasin hounds, he only ever trapped rats but seein those old number ones on the hound shed is were i got the bug to start trapping, been doing both ever since
Posted By: KC Blues

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 07:34 AM

I have Blueticks. I have had hounds for 35 yrs.
Posted By: houndone

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 08:54 AM

walkers here for 50 years and have been trapping for about the same amount of time. the hills seem to get steeper every year though.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 12:28 PM

*** No Anti Trappers *** No excitement on hound dog forums ,We will haul our 330's and 220's to the junk and snap our traps if we see you coming
Posted By: jtg

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 01:06 PM

Me too and about as long.

Originally Posted by KC Blues
I have Blueticks. I have had hounds for 35 yrs.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 03:00 PM

Walker coon hound, cur, 3 coyote hounds, 4 beagles - I enjoy dogs running just as much as trapping.
Posted By: swamp

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 04:45 PM

Started coon hunting with my Dad when I was 5-6. Several times he had to carry me. I have never stopped and still love going. I really enjoyed the competition hunts for years. It has been a few years since I have been to one. I'm 53 now and don't go near as much as I used to. I still have an old hound and my kids enjoy going. I spend a lot more time now trapping than coon hunting but I can't imagine not owning a hound. I prefer Walkers, but enjoy any hound that can do it right. Absolutely nothing better than listening to a good hound pick an old bad track and put a coon in a tree on the end of it. So many great memories from going to competition hunts or traveling the mid-west buying puppies or hunting with other peoples hounds. It is a great sport and have met a lot of great people that enjoy it as well. As hound hunters and trappers, we all have to remain on the same team. Absolutely no reason why we can't !
Posted By: charles

Re: hound hunters - 03/31/21 06:24 PM

I love to hear hounds running - except on our deer leases. Can’t blame the hound however. If I find one with a radio collar I give it a ride to the clubhouse where the owner can come to retrieve it. All hounds seem to have radio collars now. Running deer with hounds is legal in the eastern third of NC. Seems to be fading out.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: hound hunters - 04/01/21 10:04 AM

about 80% of the hound guys by be are good people , the other not good at all , and they are wrecking it for the good guys frown

Re: hound hunters - 04/01/21 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
about 80% of the hound guys by be are good people , the other not good at all , and they are wrecking it for the good guys frown

So you know 5 hound guys and don't care for one of them. If 80% are good people, I wish I could say the same for the general population.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums