Home

Medical question

Posted By: coonman220

Medical question - 03/30/21 08:42 PM

Been need total knee replacement for probly 18 years , worn out 1 knee arthrituis, other ok I think, no Heath ins for 5 years since place I work for went out an been 2 pt jobs for 3 an 5 years no ins,don't matter as per existing cond an no ins going pay it, so it worse lately, put weight on little since end Jan an worse, gets stiff an if I drive a hour, really start have trouble, hobbling around, s little bettwr in trap season less weight but without a tile spade, I doubt make it trapping as I carry it to aid walking with check nearly every trap no matter how close to side road in a ditch, summer be good time an maybe do some trapping in fall,no idea how have done an without an an lots money , what u do? How much physical therapy I got go to? I understand u got have someone take u every other day , impossible an cost ? Unreal
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 08:43 PM

Disability conman

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 08:49 PM

Can't get it
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 08:50 PM

Put some Duct tape on it and walk it off.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 08:52 PM

With all your ailments how do you not qualify for disability?
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 08:58 PM

Bodine Electric coonman, right down the street from you. They have insurance and pay a lot more than you're making now. $2000 hiring and retention bonus along with more money. They'll expect you to work I'm sure.

Have you checked into being a candidate for knee surgery at University of Iowa for their students? I have no idea what that would entail but you've got time to find out.

Good luck
Posted By: Spade

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 09:19 PM

Why don"t you try for medicaid, unless you're way over $17,000 for 1 person. Under Obama care you can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions, and you can get help paying for the insurance you need
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 09:29 PM

Dang that sucks Dave
Posted By: adam m

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 09:44 PM

Getting rid of pre-existing conditions was almost the only good thing that came from obamacare.

Seriously try for medicaid. I am sure you can apply online through your states human services department.

Going for Social Security disability will take at least 18 months and at least 1 appeal. After the 1st denial hire a great disability lawyer. They take a cut from the backpay you cut. The lawyers are limited to a maximum amount they can collect per federal law.

Also, another option is to see if you can go full time at one of the jobs so you can get health insurance.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 09:56 PM

When starting a new full-time job that offers health insurance, does the health insurance start right away or is there a probationary period before it kicks in. Serious question.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
When starting a new full-time job that offers health insurance, does the health insurance start right away or is there a probationary period before it kicks in. Serious question.

If I recall you have to work for a certain amount of time before it kicks in, 3 months sounds right.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 10:04 PM

Some older folks around here drive a school bus just for the benefits.

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by wissmiss

If I recall you have to work for a certain amount of time before it kicks in, 3 months sounds right.

That's about right with most companies ADC.
Posted By: charles

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 10:46 PM

Had a knee replaced in 2006 and replaced again in 2012. Mine got infected the first time and I have never recovered from it. Duke University put a different knee in but no better.

You will need rehab for sure. Can't give more advice because my experience was not normal. If I was younger and not already on SS, I am certain I could get SS Disability.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
Have you checked into being a candidate for knee surgery at University of Iowa for their students? I have no idea what that would entail but you've got time to find out.

Good luck

Are you suggesting he donate his body to science?? Now that would be something......

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 11:29 PM

Most employers require you work for 90 days then you're eligible for benefits on the 1st of the month following the 3 months. You'd have to check with the employer to see what they do. It's up to him to apply for a full time job that has insurance instead of complaining about not having it.

I know you're joking coyotesoldier229 but what I'm saying is call the University of Iowa and ask if their medical program if they would replace his knee on a training surgery for their medical students. It's a long shot but he has the time to ask and find out. He'd have to pay some but it would be far cheaper than paying it all if he's eligible or if they'd do it.

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 11:33 PM

They don't do that, are u kidding ? U of I college dentristry reduced price , with like 6 vist to get tooth fill, maybe if u live close, the local medical place slide fee scale won't even return pH calls about dentist appt , they want ins or bug money , not slide fee scale, around here, ins or cash or no doc, they let u suffer, no ins cover preexisting , I don't know nothing about Obama junk, all I know is like a fine of $4000 for 2 years no health ins, I hate obma
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 11:39 PM

Get the procedure done and then file medical bankruptcy when the bill come like everyone else does. Who knows, maybe the sleepy creeper with make healthcare free pretty soon. (Sarcasm for those that can't tell)

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 11:46 PM

So that's out if you already know that and checked on it. I guess it's time to get a spine and get a full time job with benefits then and quit playing the whoa is me card. You'd also make more money. How do you know all insurance won't pay for pre-existing conditions? You haven't had any for years due to your own choices.
Have you been to a Dr. to get your knee diagnosed or is it a self diagnosis? If you haven't had insurance you haven't went right?

Re: Medical question - 03/30/21 11:56 PM

Yes was docter bunch times but not in years, had arthoscopy done on it long ago, no ins except Medicaid we'll pay for it, I don't know a thing about Obama junk
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 12:15 AM

Last week you needed a periscope up your bum? This week a new knee? Might want to get your exhaust checked out first, then see if your worth putting a new ball joint in....
Posted By: keets

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 12:39 AM

get in the obamacare system grin
Posted By: learch

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 12:56 AM

i feel your pain coonman. Been dealing with knee pain for ten years and got a new one three weeks ago. Try cortisone shots. They help a lot. Is there a hospital near you that takes the poor folk? If your knee is as bad as you say then talk to them and plead your case. Put it on payments and give be them what you can afford.

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 01:48 AM

I had cortisone shots a bunch times, last ones were 14 years Ago an did nothing, got relief a few times, the one call sin visc didn't help but straight cortisone did, I just thinking, what happens around the knee the meat when inflame for years an swell? Hopefully not amputation , a bad thing of it is people well pick on u at work an imintate a limp an have it in for u, employers really down in it , I am thinking end of work in factory for long time if ever again or anything really hard after it, the docter ask u if get job sit down an say u may have hard time stand 8 hrs a day again
Posted By: Boco

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 01:53 AM

Coonman,a lot of things will heal up if you dont keep aggravating it.
Not saying that is your situation but you should see a couple good doctors for a couple of opinions.
First step for disability ins.is getting a doc to sign off on your condition right?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Coonman,a lot of things will heal up if you dont keep aggravating it.
Not saying that is your situation but you should see a couple good doctors for a couple of opinions.
First step for disability ins.is getting a doc to sign off on your condition right?

...just claim your 1/8 Eskimo and you can get a free igloo to live in and healthcare

... how’d you like that one Boco lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 02:13 AM

You think he could pass as one?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 02:52 AM

Just man up and get it amputated! No worries after that other than how to buy only one shoe?
Posted By: K52

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

My son is the transportation director for the school district here. Every school district in the country is always looking for people to drive, and here he will train you to drive and help you take the tests. I'm sure the other districts do the same. Lot of people do it for the medical insurance and after 5 years you are vested in a retirement pension from the state. I've brought this up in the past for Dave but he won't consider it.

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 07:31 AM

So you can wade in creeks and climb up ditch banks chasing $3 coon and beaver but working is where you draw the line? Does your knee bother when you're trapping? I don't doubt you have knee problems but you have to help yourself at some point. Maybe you should seriously consider moving to Canada. Boco could put you up for awhile and you can get that knee fixed.

Good luck
Posted By: Dan D

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 10:14 AM

So, you've needed a new knee for 18 years. You've been without insurance for only 5 years. Why didnt you get it fixed when you had insurance?
Posted By: Fatheroftwo

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 10:29 AM

You may want to try joint injections with a family doctor. Might take the edge off and is cheap. Probably a few hundred bucks cash. Maybe less
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 02:20 PM

Get a 2nd full time job that comes with medical benefits.

I thought that people that work full time, were REQUIRED to buy into the Obamacare health insurance.

Go out of the Country , to get that Knee replaced,,

In Mexico, that surgery is around $10,500 verses an average of $35,000 in the USA.

In Canada, that Surgery would cost. around $11,000

In India, it would cost around.. $6,000

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dan D
So, you've needed a new knee for 18 years. You've been without insurance for only 5 years. Why didnt you get it fixed when you had insurance?

I was going to ask that so thanks for doing it. Didn't want to seem like I was picking.

And Canvasback he doesn't have a full time job it's 2 part time jobs so no insurance due to his choice. He can't get a second FT job when he doesn't have a first.

Good luck Coonman. Please go down the street 300 yards from your house and talk to Bodine or at least somewhere and get a full time job.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by K52
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

My son is the transportation director for the school district here. Every school district in the country is always looking for people to drive, and here he will train you to drive and help you take the tests. I'm sure the other districts do the same. Lot of people do it for the medical insurance and after 5 years you are vested in a retirement pension from the state. I've brought this up in the past for Dave but he won't consider it.

Yeah, and if you get the right bus route, you could probably check your traps while driving the bus.

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
, had arthoscopy done on it long ago, no ins except Medicaid we'll pay for it,

Your welcome.I would send you my stimulus check too,,but I DONT GET ONE.

Re: Medical question - 03/31/21 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Get a 2nd full time job that comes with medical benefits.

I thought that people that work full time, were REQUIRED to buy into the Obamacare health insurance.

Go out of the Country , to get that Knee replaced,,

In Mexico, that surgery is around $10,500 verses an average of $35,000 in the USA.

In Canada, that Surgery would cost. around $11,000

In India, it would cost around.. $6,000

If he goes to Mexico,,he can maybe do some swapsies.Give them some livers or gizzards or something for a new knee??
© 2024 Trapperman Forums