2 sheets of 1/2 inch CDX
5 2x3's
1 2x4
2 small boxes of wood screws
$171.63
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 06:23 AM

Everything is in short supply except free money. And free money makes all money worth less. Politicians should have to pay for everything with pennies.
Posted By: JesseA

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 07:40 AM

Getting ready to build a fur/trapping room in my barn, not looking forward to buying the lumber for sure. If I had been thinking, I just had 3 big pines taken down, should've had them leave the wood so I could take it to a guy I know to be sawn for lumber
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 07:47 AM

The Amish near me are still reasonable for lumber. The only problem is knowing a 2×4 is actually 2 inches by 4 inches lol
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 10:43 AM

Now I remember why I don't throw wood scrap away
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:30 AM

Lumber has tripled in cost the past few months.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:33 AM

Better be sitting down when you price OSB.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:59 AM

37.00 a sheet here
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:59 AM

It was more than the small box of screws that got ya. How do you think these companies become billionaires! JMO
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:11 PM

I got 8 sheets of OSB in the garage for a project, but I'd be willing to let them go for $350 if anybody's interested!

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
I got 8 sheets of OSB in the garage for a project, but I'd be willing to let them go for $350 if anybody's interested!

You deliver?

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
It was more than the small box of screws that got ya. How do you think these companies become billionaires! JMO

The issue is the border closure, much of the lumber comes from Canada. Supply and demand.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:19 PM

You sell high and need it later...then you re buy high
Posted By: Squash

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by Getting There

The issue is the border closure, much of the lumber comes from Canada. Supply and demand.

Border is not closed to commercial business. Logs and lumber are crossing the USA and Canadian border everyday and always has been.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:22 PM

when Home Depot started donating to anti-gun orgs to take folks guns away I stopped going there...bout 15 yrs ago.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:46 PM

I made a thread a while ago about building an inexpensive house. After looking into many options and pricing everything out I bought a used trailer house. Building right now is out of reach until supply chain issues are fixed.

Few years ago leather was in incredibly high demand and was bringing great prices, manufactures switched to synthetics and haven't gone back. Leather is at rock bottom prices now and is probably never coming back. I wonder if the same will happen to the wood industry.

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
Originally Posted by BernieB.
anies become billionaires! JMO

The issue is the border closure, much of the lumber comes from Canada. Supply and deman

Border is not closed to commercial business. Logs and lumber are crossing the USA and Canadian border everyday and always has been.

Not true. Some lumber is now going across but it was closed to all traffic for many months and that's what created this backlog along with high demand.
Posted By: one toe

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 01:09 PM

Last November HD had treated lumber for prices more reasonable. I had put off a project last summer. Decided to buy for the project this spring. Glad I did. It wasn't long after that the prices stated to climb again.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 01:18 PM

The border was not closed for commercial traffic. Demand for lumber is high The mills I build roads for have been running non stop since this all started. Everyone is doing something. Was going to get a load of logs for the band saw but they are selling for 710 fbm right now. I will wait until June for the price to go down some when volumes increase.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 01:48 PM

Sales of portable band saw mills should take right off.
Stock up on spikes in case you have to start building with logs.
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

I went to order a woodmizer the other day and there 23 weeks out. Everyone has the same idea.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 02:03 PM

when the rain stops I have a couple of dying poplars to knock over to cut into lumber for my chicken coop as I need 6 4x4 posts 10 foot long and am not about to pay what they want it the stores.
Posted By: super cub

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 02:20 PM

The closest Home Depot to us 7/16 osb is $39.99, Our local lumber yard is $49.99. Studs (and they are bad) $5.99. We have a building contractor that lives in the little town we live in was telling me he had 2 houses to build this summer and both have been cancelled because of high lumber prices
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Fortunately I'm not building a house.

2 sheets of 1/2 inch CDX
5 2x3's
1 2x4
2 small boxes of wood screws
$171.63
[Linked Image]

Measure twice, cut once. LOL.
Posted By: seiowatrapper

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:05 PM

FYI - I had long wanted to buy a portable saw mill and finally pulled the trigger in late January...only to find out that I could not get one from the factory until...August! Wait, it gets worse...about a week after that shocker, they let me know via email that the new delivery date would be October! So about a 10 month wait time. I don't know if that holds true for all brands, but be sure to ask if you are thinking about ordering one.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:14 PM

Tariffs are still in place on Canadian goods
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:15 PM

was at the local lumber yard last week getting pricing for jobs(contractor)and they basically told me any quote on lumber was only valid for the day as the price was changing that fast and some pricing they couldnt even give because they had none in stock and didnt even know when it would be in the construction industry probably will take a huge crash this year with materials not in stock or outrage pricing
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:34 PM

Average cost of new home do to lumber increase is 24K.Actually that's not that big of increase. Try to buy a used house and see what that costs you. My home value has went up in value 25 percent in the last year. Good luck finding a contractor and subs to build a new one. Where the price increase is more noticeable is the home chicken coop/project builders. Take your stimulus and spend it. That's what its suppose to be for. Biden thinks it charity to the dems who can't get off their butt and earn it. If you got a stimulus check for $1400 - $171,The $171 was free (you can argue that its not but it is for now) and it still leaves you $1229 to waste.

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:37 PM

The problem stems from Covid 19 shut downs, not border closure. With the shut downs many Canadian mills shut down, so they were not producing any lumber. So the supply chain has been interrupted. It takes time from log to lumber and then the kiln drying , and then sizing. I have been in contact with several Canadian mills in the last couple of days. They want USA logs and no problem getting trucks and exporting them to Canada. Canadian trucks bring lumber to the USA and all those trucks are looking for backhauls, and mostly it’s hard and softwood logs from Northeast USA going to Canada. And to further complicate things, spring/mud season ,truck weight limits are now on in both Canada and the USA. Which equates to smaller lighter loads of both lumber and logs.

This is my take on this issue and I have been in this business for 50 years.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:47 PM

"In February, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers rose 0.4 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis; rising 1.7 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted."

Don't believe your eyes!
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 03:51 PM

I did a quite of adding building and other wood projects last couple of years, time to put projects on hold and chase beavers and fish.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 04:08 PM

A huge amount of America's lumber is exported. $9,600,000,0000 worth of lumber was exported in 2018. China buys the largest amount of the exported US lumber, processes it into finished products and sells it back to the US. Last year and so far this year, China sent very little lumber back to the US.

China is doing the same thing with pork, beef and chicken.

China is attacking our economy and polarizing America. China is our enemy. China is now promoting the myth that Asians are under attack in the US, to make it politically suicidal to point out what China is doing.

Keith
Posted By: BobMo

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 04:49 PM

There are many reasons for the high price of lumber but border issues is not one of them. I buy over 10 million board feet of Canadian lumber a year and the borders have zero impact on this issue.

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
A huge amount of America's lumber is exported. $9,600,000,0000 worth of lumber was exported in 2018. China buys the largest amount of the exported US lumber, processes it into finished products and sells it back to the US. Last year and so far this year, China sent very little lumber back to the US.

China is attacking our economy and polarizing America. China is our enemy. China is now promoting the myth that Asians are under attack in the US, to make it politically suicidal to point out what China is doing.

Keith

On the news they showed a great big hulk of a guy kicking the crap out of an old elderly Chinese Granny on the streets of NY in the middle of the day and a bunch of people standing around watching and making utube videos of it.

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

On the news they showed a great big hulk of a guy kicking the crap out of an old elderly Chinese Granny on the streets of NY in the middle of the day and a bunch of people standing around watching and making utube videos of it.

The total number of attacks on Asians are less than they were in the past. Many attacks, like the one on the Asians prostitutes shot in the massage parlors, are being portrayed as based on race when they were not racially motivated. Most racially motivated attacks on Asians continue to be committed by black people.

Keith
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 05:33 PM

Yesterday

[Linked Image]

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 05:34 PM

When are the new internment camps being built?

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 05:51 PM

Fortunately, there's not enough lumber to build internment camps.

Keith

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BobMo
There are many reasons for the high price of lumber but border issues is not one of them. I buy over 10 million board feet of Canadian lumber a year and the borders have zero impact on this issue.

X2
Posted By: red mt

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

Yesterday

[Linked Image]

We are right there with you in western mt.
Posted By: Twisted metal

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Just got this back yesterday from the neighbor with his bandsaw. 640 bd/ft $164.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:06 PM

It's called inflation (e.g. a rise in consumer prices). It comes from, among other things, an increase in the money supply, which means the dollar is worth less. When you flood the US economy with trillions of Monopoly dollars, it stands to reason those dollars are "worth less," meaning they will purchase fewer goods or services. Get used to it. And hang on for a lot more of it.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 03/31/21 11:25 PM

I get confused so forgive me but is China still the bad guy when they are buying are fur?
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 04/01/21 12:47 AM

Local yard here yesterday, 1/2" cdx $67 sheet.

new construction house quote good for 5 days. typical house $200sf dried in.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 04/01/21 01:14 AM

"Feb 18, 2021 — The Federal Reserve is currently buying $40 billion worth of agency MBS every month in order to support the housing market. When they refer to agency MBS, they mean specifically purchasing those mortgage-backed securities which are made up of mortgages from Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Ginnie Mae."

They are even printing money to buy the non- money making loans to build houses. crazy

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 04/01/21 01:16 AM

And the bubble grows.

KABOOM !
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 04/01/21 04:11 AM

Oh great!
Now the hobos who used to break into houses to steal copper pipes are going to start going after wall studs.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Home Depot today, WOW - 04/01/21 05:11 AM

Those have been completed for a few years. They call them FEMA camps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums