Home

Pitbulls and logging chain

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Pitbulls and logging chain - 03/31/21 11:09 PM

Ok can someone please explain to me what's with everyone wanting these huge friggen chains for pit bulls ? I swear at least twice a week I have somone come in wanting some 7/0 (3/8ths )or higher size chain for a dog. I usually ask what kinda dog they have and 9/10 times it's some kinda pit bull. Usually the story goes Yeah he keeps breaking the CHAIN not the collar or what ever the actual chain. I honestly cannot see this with decent American chain. I have a buddy who raises dogs and I put together some chains for his pits. All it was was some good #3 American a few swivels and that's it. His where completely puppies though,sweetest critters out there. Never had one break those. Idk I know pits are strong and all but what the heck ? I think their just buying crappy chain then just thinking they need to get the biggest most expensive thing with it fails.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 03/31/21 11:10 PM

Probably morons that fight dogs.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 03/31/21 11:12 PM

Low life's fighting dogs.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 03/31/21 11:42 PM

The chain is more useful than the pitbull IMHO
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 03/31/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

X2, the only good use I've seen for them is catch dogs on pigs but I'm more of what can a dog do for me kind of guy.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Ok can someone please explain to me what's with everyone wanting these huge friggen chains for pit bulls ? I swear at least twice a week I have somone come in wanting some 7/0 (3/8ths )or higher size chain for a dog. I usually ask what kinda dog they have and 9/10 times it's some kinda pit bull. Usually the story goes Yeah he keeps breaking the CHAIN not the collar or what ever the actual chain. I honestly cannot see this with decent American chain. I have a buddy who raises dogs and I put together some chains for his pits. All it was was some good #3 American a few swivels and that's it. His where completely puppies though,sweetest critters out there. Never had one break those. Idk I know pits are strong and all but what the heck ? I think their just buying crappy chain then just thinking they need to get the biggest most expensive thing with it fails.

Originally Posted by warrior
Probably morons that fight dogs.

There is a good probability that the dogs are kept in close proximity so they can “fire” on one another. The repetitive hitting the end of the chain over time eventually finds the weak link. The weighted chain also “works” the dog, building muscle and stamina.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:17 AM

I'm just saying a pit in the end up a chain it's whole life is just as useful a red heeler sitting on the couch soaking up the AC.

Honestly I'm staring to see that pits are just status symbols to alot of people. I've been told many time a real _ should have a pit bull in the yard along with various other things I find idiotic
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:24 AM

Yeah had a buddy long ago that used the heavy chain to build muscles in his pit. I'd guess that's what they are doing but it seems cruel so they make up a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)-a-meme story about the dog breaking other chains cause they know it's wrong.

I had a Staffordshire terrier years ago and he was protective when told to be but very gentle around kids. Training is key with any living thing and most important for large dogs and kids.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:32 AM

Working the dog to build size and stamina. Down side to that is the chain being drug through the dirt wears it down. I had a Rott that would wear a chain out like that in a year or so. I had her staked out using a 1" rerod 36" long. By the time the chain was ready to break the stake was loose again. Neighbors cats used to torment her sitting right outside her reach. Once a year she would get her revenge.
Posted By: banchee

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:43 AM

i have a 135 pound pressa canario built alot larger than a pit bull , i put him on the red rope i got at harbor frieght ,with 2 swivels its held up just fine over 2 years dont need no stikin chain!!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 12:50 AM

A dog should not be on any chain! wink
If you feel the need for it, get a different breed od dog.
Other then people having Pitts for a specific (purpose)
There is ZERO reason to have one!!

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Disagree and I would appreciate you minding your own business and keeping your opinions to yourself.

How folks keep their livestock is their business.

When I ran hounds every young dog got put on the chain, cable actually, to learn not to pull. Nothing more dangerous than an idiot dog yanking on a lead while in the woods at night with loaded weapons. Some of those hounds were climbers and not all of my runs had tops.

BTW, I'm not a pit fan myself or any of the bully type breeds but again it's none of my business.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 01:31 AM

Not sure about now but back in the 80's the Gurriers (street gang members) in Dublin all had rottweilers and like type dogs for use in streetfighting and enforcement.
Quite useful.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 01:35 AM

They do get beefy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 04:37 PM

There was a person from down south who owned pit bulls for many years. He said they are the best breed for hunting wild hogs. But, should never be trusted around children.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 06:41 PM

some cousins had a husky it was always chained to the garage it had run of the driveway and could go in the garage while they were not home

it would break 2-3 chains a year drag a chain back and forth enough on the concrete and it wears out a few links , then one day it breaks.

had they been paying attention to the chain every few days even and when it was showing wear replace it , but that isn't really how that works feed it every day , pick up the poop once a week maybe.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 06:47 PM

When we ran bulldogs as catch dogs on hogs we kept them on heavy chain for one to build their muscles but also as stated above dragging the chain through the sand wears it down faster than you would think especially with an active dog and the thing about catch dogs is, they usually aren't picky about what they catch, if the bay dogs are baying it they are going to catch it whether it's a 2,000 pound bull of a armadillo or a hog. So you really don't want a dog like that running around of his own free will. When we used them to catch they always stayed on the leash until we could see for certain that a hog was what was being Bayed. Treated them just like a loaded gun, don't point them and turn them lose on something you can't see and know 100% is right. Knew a guy in southwest Oklahoma that turned his catch dogs loose as soon as he heard the dogs bay, until he caught a Llama one night.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 07:05 PM

Even crappy grade 30 chain has a working limit of 2600 lbs.

They aren't breaking it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
Even crappy grade 30 chain has a working limit of 2600 lbs.

They aren't breaking it.

sure , but lay down 4 feet of it as a safety chain on your trailer and go for a drive , measure it at 25 , 50 , 100 miles how many miles of dragging before it is getting thin

how long before it has a working limit closer to 200 pounds

that dog has all day every day to pace back and forth it might be getting drug 50 feet back and forth 10 hours a day that dog may put on 5-6 miles of pacing in the day 3 months and your around 500 miles of dragging
how much of those few links of chain is left after it drags 500 miles
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Honestly I'm staring to see that pits are just status symbols to alot of people. I've been told many time a real _ should have a pit bull in the yard along with various other things I find idiotic

Yep. Shame when a dog that's meant to be a working machine becomes a trinket status symbol. I've known some good ones, but I tend to not trust pits in general because I know what they were bred for and I don't trust their owner's training unless I know them well.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/01/21 11:27 PM

All breads have examples of good loving dogs turning mean or temperamental when something changes in their brain. I don't understand keeping one for a pet that can kill people if something changes in the dogs brain .
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Disagree and I would appreciate you minding your own business and keeping your opinions to yourself.

laugh aint gonna happen!!.
I hate pits and am vocal about it!
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:18 AM

Pitbulls are useless except for targets.

I have a new WT neighbor down the road with three that have busted out of their fence a few times. I am waiting for them to roam again with no witnesses around. Adios doggies.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:29 AM

O boy here we go.......
Posted By: banchee

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:31 AM

thays alot of bs dogs are the result of their upbringing,any dog can be mean and can attack other dogs or humans, i dnt own a pit bull i own a pressa canario a large breed with a reputatation they have killed people and are outlawed in many places, ours is a big (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) ,we ahve a 5 year old grand son and hes great with him also own 2 german sheapards also great and are great with people and are gentel ,i think pit bulls, dobermans, shepards,dobermans are like all other dogs and act as a result who raised them just my 2 cents banchee
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Twolines
You know...I just got to thinking my back neighbor is from Oklahoma...he’s a real azzhat. I wonder if I should hate all oklahomans...or think they are all the same and worthless. I think I’ll ponder that for a while.

I see what you did there!

And agree, gonna need to ponder a bit. Don’t forget the Minnesotans, rough bunch they are.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:44 AM

I'll let them know they will be missed before I pull the trigger. It will be a touching moment.

By the way, I'm equal opportunity when it comes to roaming/potentially aggressive dogs. The breed doesn't matter--but Pits get extra special attention. And I agree, a lot of it is the owners but I can't really deal with that.
Posted By: BobMac

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:46 AM

[Linked Image]
Love ours

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by BobMac
[Linked Image]
Love ours

Good looking bunch! Nice dog too.

I had one, years ago, she would go to nursing homes and the children’s hospital and visit folks. Died of cancer at 13.

She could hold down a mean couch and the occasional seat of a truck.

Sure miss that dog.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:53 AM

And this Wolfie is where you come in! Tell the customer instead of chain, to allow you to sell and build them a quality dog run out of cable. As always there is a dollar to be made!

Posted By: BobMac

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:54 AM

Thanks.These four will retrieve anything you tell them to.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 02:59 AM

Well I’ll say this. I know a few “trash” folk...u shoot his dog justified or not u may make a “friend” for life.

WT's dog is chasing my livestock or threatening my kids and I should just pretend it didn't happen? No thanks but i get your point. WT won't know anyway. He won't hear the suppressed 300blk and we're not having a funeral. Dogs will be MIA.

By the way, BobMac's dog looks nice (and nice pic of your kids). I am talking about three heck hounds.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 03:33 AM

300 BLK is the best suppressed round, or so I’ve been told...
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

I have a new WT neighbor down the road with three that have busted out of their fence a few times. I am waiting for them to roam again with no witnesses around. Adios doggies.

Well I’ll say this. I know a few “trash” folk...u shoot his dog justified or not u may make a “friend” for life.

WT's dog is chasing my livestock or threatening my kids and I should just pretend it didn't happen? No thanks but i get your point. WT won't know anyway. He won't hear the suppressed 300blk and we're not having a funeral. Dogs will be MIA.

By the way, BobMac's dog looks nice (and nice pic of your kids). I am talking about three heck hounds.

There's a huge legal difference in shooting a roaming dog than shooting one chasing livestock or threatening children. Which are you planning to do?

Keith

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1

And this Wolfie is where you come in! Tell the customer instead of chain, to allow you to sell and build them a quality dog run out of cable. As always there is a dollar to be made!

I actually usually try and tell them it would be cheaper to buy some #5 chain from F&T saying 100' of that with shipping would still be less than what they usually get but they usually shut me up within the first question. Usually * naw kid I need this NOW* or *Naw Naw j don't wanna buy online* I usually just shrug , cut the chain , and watch them end up ringing up around $90 after they buy a the links clips ect for one chain. Then again their usually grinning at their assorted freinds so hard you think their gold's are gonna pop out there mouths so idk mabye they just wanna spend money crazy

Btw sorry scout1 was trying to edit your quote as a quote and ended up editing your original post crazy my bad
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 12:13 PM

I'll let them know they will be missed before I pull the trigger. It will be a touching moment.

By the way, I'm equal opportunity when it comes to roaming/potentially aggressive dogs. The breed doesn't matter--but Pits get extra special attention. And I agree, a lot of it is the owners but I can't really deal with that.

I feel the same for any roaming dog pit or not if they can't stay home they will disappear. I have had one pit in my life and he was my best friend when I was in high school and on in to my 20's. My dad hated pits, but found out that it's just a dog breed and he ended up real close to that dog. I have a dog now that maybe some pit not sure he is one on the best dogs I have had in awhile. Always stays home never bothers the cows and hates armadillos. I know a guy who has a few pits for catch dogs and he has a hole house full of kids and family who has kids not one has been eaten yet.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 03:03 PM

What you are talking about is a felony in the state of Oklahoma. You might want to research it a little bit before spouting it off on the internet "counselor".
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 03:22 PM

Pit bulls are handy for some things.
There was a video out last year of a mexican gang using a pitbull to castrate a rapist.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur

What you are talking about is a felony in the state of Oklahoma. You might want to research it a little bit before spouting it off on the internet "counselor".

You have no clue what you are talking about. I could safely call the Sheriff and tell him what I am going to do or what I did. I have every right to shoot whatever roaming aggressive dog in defense of me, my family or property.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 04:52 PM

Watch those court TV shows and most of the time the dog breed that did something someone is suing about is a pit bull.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 05:42 PM

Blaine, this is allowed in Oregon and Alaska too if I’ve read and understood the verbiage correctly. I’ve actually had the same aggressive dog at large issue in Oregon.
Still I’d be cautious in action regarding the genetically “inferior” folk down the road...theory being if the dogs are getting out, what else could?...

I agree. That's the only hesitation. And, I unfortunately as the hunter/trapper guy (I definitely don't flaunt it but people figure it out) I am suspect numero uno.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 08:31 PM

Some get very beefy. It's a 3 fold issue why heavy chain is used and keeps snapping..... the dog is chained all day to limit its interaction. Some use it as a dumbbell weight for their pit. 3 they use short cheap chain with no swivels which the dog keeps putting heavy sudden pressure on it (all day).

I've known pits on all sides of the behavior and breed spectrum from teddy bear - the devils dog.

I had a mastiff that snapped numerous leashes. I finally got some climbing rope and used that. He never snapped the climbing rope. He was a giant teddy bear, a solid hunter, and protective. 95 lbs of pure muscle.
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

Copy that.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur

You're kidding right? I had no idea OK was so bunny-hugging liberal.
Here an unrestrained dog off it's owner's property has the same legal rights as an invasive or feral animal. Meaning, none. In fact, Fish&Game used to run ads in the newspaper every spring during moose calving season basically encouraging folks to shoot any dogs seen harassing moose.

Now, shooting someone's dog without a good reason just makes you an a-hole. But the law is clear that the responsibility lies with the pet owners.

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/02/21 10:46 PM

KK, it's not. He's wrong.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 12:45 AM

not illegal to shoot dogs in ks either

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 12:56 AM

They try and tell me that crap here in Georgia until I tell them to read the last sentence on the statute they are trying to cite. Shall not apply to a pest or animal to be removed from a home or property.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 03:19 AM

Debates on pit disposition , aside ...

I have a couple guys I know near me , one I call a friend ,keep a ( heavy on the singular tense ) pit as catch dogs on pigs . Exceptional dogs in that role . I believe as others have said , the chain has nothing to do with containment for the dog. Its a work-out tool .
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 06:50 PM

Neighbors aggressive pit got out and started running around. Called the police and told them I was going to shoot it if it came in my yard. They told me to make sure I have good shot placement. Can do!
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 07:29 PM

Living in the country we often have idiots drop off dogs and either assume we'll them in, or find someone to take care of them. I've taken 4 or 5 to the shelter, 20 miles away, but if they are the least bit aggressive I've been forced to take care of them in a different way. I hate to do it and hate to have stupid people put me in that position. I've had a couple that appeared to be pit bulls or at least mixes that never made it to the shelter. Very aggressive and in my mind dangerous. I'd actually like to catch a coward dropping an animal off. That might be fun.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pitbulls and logging chain - 04/03/21 07:38 PM

something wrong with a person that likes killing dogs. some dogs need killing. no way around it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums