Home

Treating untreated wood ?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 10:02 PM

So lumber prices being what they are wanting to know what's eveyones thoughts in treating their own lumber for outdoor use ( smaller projects like chicken coops or raised beds ect).
Posted By: SJA

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 10:10 PM

Thompson's Water Seal Products.
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 10:32 PM

An oil based wood preservative like TWP-100 for above ground.

Copper Naphthenate for ground contact/below ground.

Just be careful what you use and read the product data sheet when picking something for food contact/edible plants etc.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 10:38 PM

Go to your ag store ,get a 50 pound bag of copper sulfate, build you a tank big and long enough to stack lumber in ,mix chemical with water and soak lumber, green lumber preferred it soaks it up easier than dry , leave for a week or so until the lumber is blue / green color ,there you have it. soak longer for best penetration.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
Go to your ag store ,get a 50 pound bag of copper sulfate, build you a tank big and long enough to stack lumber in ,mix chemical with water and soak lumber, green lumber preferred it soaks it up easier than dry , leave for a week or so until the lumber is blue / green color ,there you have it.

I run a sawmill that makes pressure treated fence posts. Moisture content has to be at or below 15% to treat with our copper based chemicals. That is done at 150 psi and 120 degrees. The reject posts I sell, are $2 each. Most guys burn them black with a weed torch, burn the part in the ground and about 8 inches above ground. Most posts rot off a couple inches above ground. My deer blinds are made from rough cut pine, I burn them black, brush off with a broom them spray with deck sealer. some are pretty old with not rot showing yet.
Posted By: billcat

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 11:07 PM

Put a cup of Borax in the hole you are going to bury a post in, add some to the dirt as you backfill the hole.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/01/21 11:20 PM

Creosote
Posted By: warrior

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 12:43 AM

Lots of commercial beekeepers are doing a CuNap/BLO soak for their bee boxs and getting decades of service out of them.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 04:04 AM

For gardening look up french intensive gardening. I deep tilled the garden and used a potato hook to form the beds by pulling the soil forming beds. You are raising the bed and lowering the pathways between them. I put straw in the pathways. Broadcast greens , carrots, radishes, etc. Once the plants are up hand weed and after a few weedings you'll find that the veggies are winning the war.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by logger coffey
Go to your ag store ,get a 50 pound bag of copper sulfate, build you a tank big and long enough to stack lumber in ,mix chemical with water and soak lumber, green lumber preferred it soaks it up easier than dry , leave for a week or so until the lumber is blue / green color ,there you have it.

I run a sawmill that makes pressure treated fence posts. Moisture content has to be at or below 15% to treat with our copper based chemicals. That is done at 150 psi and 120 degrees. The reject posts I sell, are $2 each. Most guys burn them black with a weed torch, burn the part in the ground and about 8 inches above ground. Most posts rot off a couple inches above ground. My deer blinds are made from rough cut pine, I burn them black, brush off with a broom them spray with deck sealer. some are pretty old with not rot showing yet.

Good post. Treated lumber isn't just dipped or soaked. I like the tip on burning.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 01:34 PM

Good info.^
Posted By: kiyote

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 01:46 PM

Can you even buy creosote anymore?

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 01:50 PM

Since the original poster probably wont have access to pressure tanks and such ,dipping and coatings are what most homeowners would use , some guys use garden sprayers to apply copper solutions to any lapped over lumber to kill fungus and rot growth . makes board fences last alot longer where nailed to post etc.

Re: Treating untreated wood ? - 04/02/21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kiyote
Can you even buy creosote anymore?
No. https://www.cattletoday.com/threads/homemade-creosote.15045/ here's a interesting link
© 2024 Trapperman Forums