Home

chicks coming next week

Posted By: sako22

chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 03:34 PM

Ordered some chicks from cackle hatchery a couple months ago. They are scheduled to hatch next Monday 4/5/21. Got 12 black australorp pullets and 30 barred rock straight run. Gonna butcher the young barred rock roosters this fall. Should be here nxt wed or thurs. I can't wait. I love fooling with chickens. Got 15 Game biddies hatched out now and more hens laying everyday. Got some banty chicks ordered also that are scheduled to hatch may the 5th also from cackle
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 03:39 PM

I’ve got some chicks in the brooder now. Black copper marans is what I’m raising now. Good luck with yours
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 04:57 PM

Got mine three weeks ago.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 05:31 PM

Wife is bumping mine off fast then I can raise them she’s the angel of death around here. eek
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 07:59 PM

Ours are 3 weeks old now. Once its gets a little warmer, They'll move into the coop and out of that tote.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: k snow

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 11:44 PM

Pick mine up the 14th. Putting the finishing touches on the coop this week.
Posted By: finbar

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/02/21 11:54 PM

I hear the first chirps coming from incubator, should hatch tomorrow. Black sex links(Rhode island red roo and barred rock hens). Cockerels go in a grow out tractor that I still need to build from pallets and scrap wood, lumber cost being what it is.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 04:58 AM

Scuba need to get you some Russian Orloffs they eat fire ants.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 07:46 AM

I am considering loading the incubator my hens are laying good again. Still a little early here in Western Alaska though. Its still winter and below 0 at night yet.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by sako22
Ordered some chicks from cackle hatchery a couple months ago. They are scheduled to hatch next Monday 4/5/21. Got 12 black australorp pullets and 30 barred rock straight run. Gonna butcher the young barred rock roosters this fall. Should be here nxt wed or thurs. I can't wait. I love fooling with chickens. Got 15 Game biddies hatched out now and more hens laying everyday. Got some banty chicks ordered also that are scheduled to hatch may the 5th also from cackle

Nice bud, you should have told me I would have sent ya a pair of lemon blue bantams wink
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 12:55 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 02:48 PM

I order chicks through our local feed store and they have stopped taking orders because they had several orders arrive with all the chicks dead. They blame the postal service,not the hatcheries, as the chicks are arriving late. I hope they get it figured out. We don't have any hatcheries in our area and I need meat birds.
Posted By: Deerkiller

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 03:08 PM

We have34 coming April 15-16
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 04:09 PM

We just had a bunch hatch in the last 24 hrs!
Posted By: 30/06

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 04:27 PM

We have Freedom Rangers and a few Australorp pullets that should arrive next week. Earliest start for us, but we want to butcher the meat birds early this year. They'll definitely be indoors for a while. +9F this morning, 4" new snow and it's still coming down. A cruel April Fool's joke!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Wife is bumping mine off fast then I can raise them she’s the angel of death around here. eek

grin
Angel!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I order chicks through our local feed store and they have stopped taking orders because they had several orders arrive with all the chicks dead. They blame the postal service,not the hatcheries, as the chicks are arriving late. I hope they get it figured out. We don't have any hatcheries in our area and I need meat birds.

My wife got 22 cornish cross at the local feed store. They called and asked if she wanted them when they discounted them. They had not sold and were several weeks old. Fully feathered and $1.50 each. It had been cold so they just went out into the tractor today.

We have had 2 batches for year ordered to be delivered later when its warmer this season but could not pass that deal up. Saved a lot of money on feed.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter

Sounds interesting, where do I get fire ants to feed them with, and how many will I need ??

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 10:12 PM

Providence
If they are several weeks old they should be ready to butcher. Did you mean days? Either way a heck of a deal.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/03/21 11:18 PM

Picked up some Cackle over run last night for a buck a chick. Can't beat that......most splash laced red wyandottes, barred rock pullets, black copper maran pullets and a few silver phoenix.

Have some week old game fowl (10) and another 10 OEG White banties here in the house.

124 duck eggs in incubator and 96 Kelso, Hatch, Grey, Roundhead eggs in the incubator - these are what I really am excited about. Not sure what the other 10 hatched off game chicks are but all came from same guy. I have always wanted some game chickens and should have an excellent start. Talked to a guy last night with 200 roosters tied out.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 01:28 AM

Providence
If they are several weeks old they should be ready to butcher. Did you mean days? Either way a heck of a deal.

I'm guessing 3 weeks maybe 4 hard to say. I don't believe the feed store was feeding the right rate for optimal growth. Still 5 or 6 weeks to grow out unless the cool weather slows down their growth like it seemed to on our last batch of the year last fall.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 01:40 AM

[Linked Image]

Ours are a year old April 20.....Started with 12.... one chicken got stepped on by a sheep (Broken leg) ..one baby chick died....and another full grown bird had a heart attack...( Had a Purple Comb )....and was told,that’s what happened. So we have 9 Birds now.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 01:47 AM

We butcher Cornish cross at 5 or 6 weeks, after that we start seeing health problems.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by Drifter

Sounds interesting, where do I get fire ants to feed them with, and how many will I need ??

If you head South about 200+ miles we can hook you up with all the fire ants you could ever imagine!!

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 02:01 AM

grin
Posted By: 30/06

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 02:53 AM

Plan B: We went to town this morning for groceries, gas, etc. Stopped by feed store, was told they had chicks ready, so we got some pullets. Quite early for us, snowing hard outside so it doesn't feel like spring. We'll get the Freedom Rangers (meat birds) around 4/11. Our plan is to get the meat birds grown and butchered before we go fishing in July.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 03:23 AM

We butcher Cornish cross at 5 or 6 weeks, after that we start seeing health problems.

If you control/limit there feed that reduces problems. At least we have had zero problems butchering at 8-10 weeks an get 5-6.4 lb birds dressed.

Well I did get ones leg under the tractor when moving it and culled it earlier but that had nothing to do with age or development problems. Worked that way for us on two batches totaling about 80 meat birds last year.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 03:46 AM

I would guess our birds weigh all of that but just a guess, never weighed any. When they look right we butcher. We take away the feed at night but I want my fryers in the freezer as soon as possible.
Posted By: F150

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 07:40 AM

cool, raise a bunch yrs ago....
might do this again
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 12:10 PM

Neesmuck looks like you have some easter eggers or amerecaunas, and a couple marans. Make for some beautiful colored eggs. I raised 18 chicks last April and now we are getting around 110 eggs a week from them. Have Rhode island reds, barred rock, amerecaunas and black copper marans. The kids have drove me nuts wanting to get more but I'm gonna hold off til next year. Will start so new ones next year and sell my older birds once the chicks begin laying. Alot of fun and produce plenty of food
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 12:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/04/21 09:11 PM

Working on the run today. Almost done with it ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: F150

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/05/21 05:32 AM

Those coops need to be coon, fox and coyote proof.
Once those things see chickens they go into a feeding frenzie

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/05/21 12:08 PM

Nice work Scuba, spent some time working on mine this weekend. The inside is ready for chicks, just need to finish up the outside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/05/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by F150
Those coops need to be coon, fox and coyote proof.
Once those things see chickens they go into a feeding frenzie

Other than the chickenwire being buried a couple of feet out from the coop and an electric fence tapa around the bottom and the chickenwire covering all of the inside of the coop and run ( ceiling included ) we have a great Pyrenees dog on then loose that loves killing predators and looks after the birds and My GSD is right there with him when he is outside. The neighbor has 22 chickens and they are outside 24/ 7 and he has not lost one in over a year. I think our birds are as safe as they can be.

That looks pretty good k snow. I'll put the roof on the run tomorrow and then the girls will move out into the coop. I'll keep the heat lamp with them for a while longer but night temps are in the 50's now and over the day in the upper 70's and climbing. So I thinks its time to move them out to the coop this week.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/05/21 10:04 PM

Got a shipping notice from cackle hatchery today. Hopefully they all arrive alive and the postal service don't kill them. lol. Got my brooder box set up and brooder plate heating up

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/05/21 11:59 PM

Finished it just now. Made it just before sun down

[Linked Image]

With the temperatures they way they are predicting, the girls are moving house tomorrow from the tote into their new home .... They will take their heat lamp with them just in case though.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/06/21 12:24 AM

Looks good scuba. Those chicks sure have a nice view.

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/08/21 08:55 PM

Chicks arrived at post office today. Thankfully all were alive and well. Cackle sent me extra chicks also. Put them in their brooder pen with brooder plate and feed and mixed up some bleach water for them. They were sure happy to get out of that little box. lol

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/08/21 09:00 PM

Nice to hear they are all doing good. Mine are already playing with the dog

[Linked Image]

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/08/21 09:53 PM

Good looking chicks. Get mine in a week. Got everything just about set up for them.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: chicks coming next week - 04/08/21 10:03 PM

Picked up my order of 50 chuckar and 50 pheasants yesterday from a local breeder. Said there were extras, he was right. 70 chuckar and 60 pheasants.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums