Home

"Northwoods Law" New England guys??

Posted By: waggler

"Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 03:55 PM

Okay, so I know most "reality shows" are 95% NOT reality. However, at the risk of sounding naïve, I have a couple of questions about Northwoods Law.
I occasionally pause for a bit on this show, mainly because I like to see what other areas look like, and I usually try to visualize how you guys trap in these areas.

It seems as though in nearly every episode there is some sort of search and rescue going on. They always seem to spend an inordinate amount of time reaching the victim since they only rely on foot travel to get to the victims location. My question; don't they have helicopters back there, or do they just not show them on the TV show in order to increase the drama (at the expense of the suffering victim)?

In the western US helicopters are routinely used for S&R operations.

I'm happy to see that you guys in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine can still trap effectively, but your game wardens sure do seem anal about a lot of things; but maybe that's just due to the TV affect.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 04:02 PM

I’ve been filmed by them twice ! But Nevah made the show. My CO have been on the show too. Yes we have all the Helicopters and stuff...just drama I guess. They are just out checking licenses and responding to liberals that have moved into the state and never seen wildlife in their back yard before

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 04:06 PM

^^^^^^^
Thanks. But why are they always chasing some poor guy down who they think is riding his snowmachine or wheeler too fast? What does that have to do with wildlife management/enforcement?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 04:21 PM

They do more drug busts then anything else.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 05:54 PM

I thought the episode trying to pin down the guy who ran over the beaver in the parking lot was the best. laugh
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 08:33 PM

They walk because it is only 100yds or less off pavement but with the TV cameras they can make it look like a 2hr hike
Posted By: Posco

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/04/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^^
Thanks. But why are they always chasing some poor guy down who they think is riding his snowmachine or wheeler too fast? What does that have to do with wildlife management/enforcement?

Usually, they're looking to see if the operator is inebriated. Same for boaters. They check ATV/snowmobile registrations, check for PFDs, assist in drowning recoveries, etc.. Anything that happens off the main drag falls under their purview.
Posted By: Btoutdoors

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 12:30 AM

I had to quit watching it, it just makes me mad. I still watch Lone Star law, but still get mad occasionally.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Btoutdoors
I had to quit watching it, it just just makes me mad. I still watch Lone Star law, but still get mad occasionally.

I quit watching it when I saw them cite a guy for drinking a beer while riding his ATV on his own property.

Mike
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 09:01 AM

[quote=waggler]Okay, so I know most "reality shows" are 99.9% NOT reality.

^^^^I fixed it for you
Posted By: trapNH

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 10:24 AM

They use the national guard helo on some of the searches, but if you notice we have trees and a lot of them that make it difficult to see someone on the ground. Once they get above treeline they work well and a lot of the rescues are several mile back in the woods so yes they hike.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I had to quit watching it, it just just makes me mad. I still watch Lone Star law, but still get mad occasionally.

I quit watching it when I saw them cite a guy for drinking a beer while riding his ATV on his own property.

Mike

The same thing would happen in OK and many other states. Probably most.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 02:54 PM

I watch occasionally. One thing jumps out at me... The older officers are good communicators and end up getting a lot more information about a case by simply talking reasonably with potential violators.

The young guys seem to be ate up with their perceived self importance. They are more willing to try and bully people. As a result, have a much harder time figuring out what is really going on!

It would appear that with time in service, comes experience that pays off!

Pete
Posted By: The Beav

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 03:51 PM

It's not reality because in most of those cases the the prep would tell the officer to pound sand. It's all scripted for TV.
Posted By: Posco

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
I watch occasionally. One thing jumps out at me... The older officers are good communicators and end up getting a lot more information about a case by simply talking reasonably with potential violators.

The young guys seem to be ate up with their perceived self importance. They are more willing to try and bully people. As a result, have a much harder time figuring out what is really going on!

It would appear that with time in service, comes experience that pays off!

Pete

Agreed and I think that's true in any line of LE.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 05:38 PM

NH fish & game has gotten "squeezed out" from the fiscal trough. they've been under funded by concord for years and years. thats why you see them draggin the camera crews along. just think of the old buck owens song "act naturally". gotta pay the bills some how!
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/05/21 11:14 PM

Mike

Probably Savell!!!
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/06/21 02:42 PM

Watched only one episode where these two NH wardens where convinced this guy shot his deer on posted property. They searched and searched and even brought out a dog but only found sign exactly where he said he was and not on the posted property. They still told the cameras they where convinced he did it and gave him a violation for not attaching his tag to the deer before he hauled it out of the woods which apparently means they confiscate the deer and he looses his license for a year!!!! Never watched it again.

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/06/21 02:58 PM

^^^^^^^
Sound just like something the "Wildlife Police" in Washington State would do.
Yes, that is what they want to be called now, Wildlife Police. They were a great bunch of guys years ago when they were called game wardens.
Somehow now their attitude is; them versus us.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/08/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

Mike

The same thing would happen in OK and many other states. Probably most.

If you're on your own property, or private property you have permission to be on, they can't do squat here.

Mike
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/08/21 07:51 PM

If you're on your own property, or private property you have permission to be on, they can't do squat here.

Mike

Actually, they can. I would look it up and post a supporting link but I’m on my phone.
Posted By: Savell

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/08/21 11:58 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sako22

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/09/21 12:07 AM

I keep watching Lone star law thinking I will see Savell fishing for those high fin blues. lol
Posted By: Savell

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/09/21 12:20 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: capt.scott

Re: "Northwoods Law" New England guys?? - 04/09/21 01:13 AM

I think they investigate every deer kill in the state like a crime scene. Last night they did a rescue off a mountain and the cost of the rescue back to the hikers. Guilty of negligence.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums