Home

BWCA camping trip?

Posted By: Scout1

BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 04:30 AM

Looking at our first trip this summer. Probably going out of Moose Lake #25 portage. I know moose has motor boats, but would like to go toward knife lake to canoe only. My buddies are going to Knife Lake for lakers. I'd just like to go for smallies, walleye, and northerns. Anyone have any info tips, or pointers???? thanks guys.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 05:36 AM

Also if ayone has anymore good portages that produce good fishing please let me know. Would like to try for smallmouth , walleye, and northerns.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 05:46 AM

We did real well on all 3 of those fish on Friday bay but that's a trek to get to.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 02:47 PM

Fish shallow running fat raps above portage rapids or below
Posted By: Calvin

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 07:57 PM

Tip #1. Bring bug spray and a head net. Especially if you're going towards August. You'll wish for mosquitos over the black flies.
Posted By: K52

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 08:22 PM

Did that very trip a few years ago, take a tow boat to the first portage to get to Knife. If you get the first tow of the morning you can be well into Knife in plenty of time to get a campsite set up and do some fishing. We base camped and caught smallies and pike, used tubes and Rapalas mostly. This is the place to answer all your questions :

Everything Right Here
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/06/21 10:23 PM

It has been a longtime for me since I was up that way. Good Laker fishing on knife for sure. Basswood has good Walleye and smallie fishing. Moose is good for northern
Posted By: K52

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/07/21 02:50 AM

Three years ago we took a boat and motor and fished the Moose chain and Basswood for a week. First week of June and that was the most outstanding fishing I've had for smallmouth and my son & I both had personal bests on the walleye. It was incredible, 100+ smallmouth a day on Basswood and we would catch enough walleye every day for supper. Going to try to make it back up there next year with the boat & motor and do the exact same as last time.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/07/21 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Tip #1. Bring bug spray and a head net. Especially if you're going towards August. You'll wish for mosquitos over the black flies.

This ^^^
Both spray and head net, NOT either, but both. Long sleeve shirts and pants too. The incessant crawling on your skin of the black flies can drive the sanest of men mad.
Went in June a few years. Filleted fish under water because I couldn't see fish nor fingers under the flies when above water.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/07/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Originally Posted by Calvin

This ^^^
Both spray and head net, NOT either, but both. Long sleeve shirts and pants too. The incessant crawling on your skin of the black flies can drive the sanest of men mad.
Went in June a few years. Filleted fish under water because I couldn't see fish nor fingers under the flies when above water.

I dont like to fish that much to handle all that. Hats off to yall!
Trout in november is my thing when i fish
Posted By: riverbank

Re: BWCA camping trip? - 04/07/21 03:59 PM

A few years ago, me and two others put in at Snowbank Lake and went to Parent Lake and camped a few days there. The fishing was fantastic. We were targeting smallmouth and we caught a lot of them. Surprisingly the biggest fish of the trip was when I caught a 5.5 lb largemouth. Wasn't expecting that. We had to deal with a few mosquitoes, but it was manageable in the daylight hours. After dark we had to stay in the tents. Anyways, it was a really good trip and would like to do it again sometime. My only advice would be to travel as light as possible. I'm not a big fan of making several trips back and forth on the portages, especially if it rains.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums