Home

Hip boot repair

Posted By: 3togo

Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 11:46 AM

I have an old pair of Cabela's hip boots that I ripped a hole in the other day. Boots are in excellent condition otherwise. My first thought on repair is to get a throw away inner tube from a bicycle or ATV, clean the area extremely well and rough up. Cut an over size patch from the tube and use GE outdoor 100% silicone on the complete contact surface and weight down for 24 hrs. The rip is 1-3/4" long.
[Linked Image]

Anyone have any other thoughts? Different, better adhesive, different patch material?, etc.
Posted By: keets

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 11:49 AM

I would use shoe goo before silicone
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 11:57 AM

I’ve fixed big holes in waders / muck boots with vinyl swimming pool liner patches. Those things really held.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 11:59 AM

I just patched my hip boots using Aqua-Seal, I have not tested it in the water but I like how the product set-up... It seems like a good product, hopefully someone will chime in on the wear & tear benefits. I cleaned the surface with Rubbing Alcohol, taped the inside of the boot and applied, let dry overnight and then sealed the inside the same way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 12:20 PM

This might work- Aqua-Seal Tape- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-...jCtCuw1vQBoCqboQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: 653

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 12:21 PM

aqua seal is awsome stuff. used it on dive suits, dry suits etc never had a failure
Posted By: topknot

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 12:24 PM

Yup aqua seal is the way to go. Or you can go to a tire shop and have them put a patch on it. Because its on the rubber boot they may be able to, as I have heard of people round here doing that.

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 12:27 PM

I have used Aqua-Seal on leather boot stitching before, it holds up well. I also have a full tube of Shoe Goo. The Aqua-Seal tape is something I haven't seen before.
My concern is that the rip is right on the "joint" where two layers are laminated together.
Maybe Aqua-Seal or Shoe Goo the rip and let cure, then tape over the top.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 01:11 PM

Personally I would try a large tire patch first.
Posted By: Swivel

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 01:11 PM

Hand sew tears closed with dental floss then used aqua seal. Been doing this for years.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 01:15 PM

gorilla tape inside and aquaseal outside
Posted By: learch

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Swivel
Hand sew tears closed with dental floss then used aqua seal. Been doing this for years.

That’s a great idea, never would have considered that but will in the future
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 05:54 PM

Rubber boots,, patch at tire shop. The patch will outlast the boot. For neoprene, I use Aquaseal.

Rickey
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/06/21 07:35 PM

Aqua seal and the tape together. Works great.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/07/21 10:52 AM

That style boot I'd go tire patch, do it right and some other place will fail before it does.. You want to strengthen bigger rip use rubber cement type glue put some fabric on inside.
On boots and dive equipment I stay away from Shoe-Goo and Silicon. Is tire patch and Aqua-Seal for my repairs.

Mac
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/07/21 09:24 PM

Buy a new pair, idk what anyone says, I have try patch boots everthing , only thing works aqua seal an only very temporary, I but new pair an have those patch as good as can an keep for spares, u be lucky check 12sets bfore aqua seal give away an leak, maybe only check trap once an 2nd trap out stream it start come in leak bad or seep get lit worse
Posted By: Flattail1961

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 04:05 AM

Get a tube of SG 20. It works like an epoxy that mixes as it is dispensed. For that type of repair it'll surpass aqua seal or anything else that's been mentioned. Get it where you want it pretty quick as it sets ups pretty quick but still remains flexible.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by doublesettrigger
Rubber boots,, patch at tire shop. The patch will outlast the boot. For neoprene, I use Aquaseal.

Rickey

X2 take them to the tire repair shop and let them patch them. They have the right equipment and good patches that will hold. Most around here wouldn't even charge you for it but if they did it'd be maybe $5.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 04:22 AM

We keep about a dozen pair of the exact same waders at the fishing lodge. All I've ever used is shoe goo to patch them. Works great.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 09:03 AM

And think I just dropped mine in the burn barrel last week.

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 12:59 PM

I will talk with the tire shop in a couple days. Maybe stitch the rip shut first. But I will also look into that SG 20 stuff for future use, never heard of it before. I am still thinking that if the tire folks can't/won't do it, the stitching-glue and patch route might get a try.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 01:43 PM

Never try g20, what is it where get ? Tire shop might be best idea , depend where at, I used get mine below knee half way down, a bad bend spot

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/08/21 01:50 PM

3togo. Go to the auto repair shop, buy a bottle of patch cement and a box of patches (correct size.) Rough up area to be patched and then I use acetone to clean area, apply cement and ALLOW TO DRY TO TOUCH, apply patch . If you weren't so far away I would do it for you! I'm 30 minutes south of Rockford.

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/09/21 02:27 PM

Thanks ratbrain. If the boots didn't have such little use and fit so well I wouldn't bother trying to patch them. But old guys have a hard time throwing things away that can be repaired.

Re: Hip boot repair - 04/09/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 3togo
Thanks ratbrain. If the boots didn't have such little use and fit so well I wouldn't bother trying to patch them. But old guys have a hard time throwing things away that can be repaired.

I know what you mean! You should see some of my hip boots/waders--- A lot of patches!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums