Home

Dogs & Eggs

Posted By: SGT. C

Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:14 AM

Who feeds their dogs eggs? I feed mine (Lab and ACD) 1 egg per day. Only issue is the farts they produce. But, the benefit out weighs the smell. Sometimes they get'em raw , scramble, or over easy. What ever their Daddy is cooking that day. Sarge
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:21 AM

It's good for their coat from what I've read.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:53 AM

Eggs are good for dogs until they learn where to get them on their own
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

lol
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:55 AM

Princess Lily my standard poodle gets two a day.
I cook them in the instapot so they are really easy to peel.

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

I guess the term egg sucking dog applies.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 02:09 AM

I was told by a vet. years ago to scramble then, that

raw eggs does very little for them.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 02:36 AM

So what are all the benefits?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 02:42 AM

Eggs are good for their coat and skin from what I've been told. Loki gets at least one a day.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 03:25 AM

I only feed any amount of eggs when they are expecting. When that’s the case, I alternate every other day between raw liver and egg. And even then it’s only a supplement to their normal ration.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 05:19 AM

I'll give mine a egg or 2 once in awhile. Sometimes leftover scrambled eggs or a raw egg.
Same with fish and meat. Leftover or scraps of meat or chicken . Always gets beef and pork bones when we have them
Posted By: adam m

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Eggs are good for their coat and skin from what I've been told. Loki gets at least one a day.

plus protein
Posted By: Katcatcher

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 06:17 AM

I was told by a vet. years ago to scramble then, that

raw eggs does very little for them.

wamp, I DON'T KNOW WHAT VET WOULD SAY THAT RAW EGGS WERE OF LITTLE VALUE TO A DOG BUT I WOULDN'T TAKE MY DOG TO HIM. I have owned and bred registered Plott big game dogs for over 50 years.

WHAT IS WAS TOLD AND SEENS WITH MY OWN AND OTHER HUNTERS DOGS SO IT SEEMS LOGICAL TO ME IS; RAW EGGS WITH THE SHELLS ARE FAR BETTER FOR ANY DOG THAN COOKED. (I CRUSH THE EGG SHELLS AND PUT THEM IN WITH THE EGGS THEN PUT THEM IN WITH THEIR FEED OR IN THEIR PAN BY THEMSELVES.
IT IS NOT ONLY GOOD FOR THEIR COAT AND ADDED PROTIEN IT ALSO HELPS IF THEY HAVE DIGESTIVE TROUBLE SINCE THEY ARE EASY FOR THE STOMACH TO BREAK DOWN AND ALSO HAS MANY VITAMINS AND MINERALS THAT DOGS NEED. I GOT THAT INFORMATION IN A CLASS I TOOK ON NUTRICIAN FOR DOGS AT WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY, WHICH IS ONE OF THE TOP VET SCHOOLS IN THE NATION. THAT WAS PART OF WHAT I REMEMBER FROM 40 YEARS AGO. BUT I DOUBT THAT IT HAS CHANGED.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/09/21 10:42 AM

Wife's pet fox gets 1 or 2 everyday, usually in the shell. he jumps on his shelf and rolls it off to break it. Sometimes he hides it for later, fun to watch him hide one. They really pack them down with their nose. Mike
Posted By: Wife

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 03:10 AM

Every vet and vet student I talked to and went to undergrad school with was in favor of eggs (chicken, duck, goose) for added proteins to a dogs diet. However the vast majority recommended that the egg be cooked and not fed raw. Dogs are susceptible to some of the same bacterial poisoning (in eggs) we humans are. Chicken provides more digestible and a better range of nutrition for dogs than beef or pork. Chicken bones cooked by pressure or boiling until soft can be fed and are excellent nutrition for dogs. Bones (chicken) in the soft state are safe for the stomach and intestines but raw or hard probably should not be fed. I'm not keen on the egg shell like some as I have had dogs that learned to search out the egg (be it chicken, pheasant, quail, turkey, duck or goose - any ground nesting bird) and become a nest predator but others have had no problems so the shells are rinsed and make it to the garden here....... the mike
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 03:14 AM

My skunk Abby got milk, eggs and electrolytes every night.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 04:18 AM

My shepherd, Krieger, has panosteitis and it caused him enough pain that he wouldn't eat... If he didn't eat we couldn't give him meds for the pain. So my wife finally got him to eat scrambled eggs and we could give him his pain meds.

Mike
Posted By: nate

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 02:11 PM

Mine eats raw eggs every day. She never trys to steal eggs any smart dog should be easily trained not to take eggs from a nest box or basket.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 05:52 PM

Right now, we have an excess of eggs, and have been throwing a half dozen guinea eggs in the blender and then scrambling them....well I guess they are already scrambled! laugh. All three dogs absolutly love them, and they're coats are shiny and pretty!
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 06:13 PM

I might eat 4-5 eggs at a time. And my hide is shiny to. grin

I had a 6 eggs omelet Sunday with hash browns, bacon and link sausage inside it. All with gravy over it.

Local restaurant makes those up. Order and pick up.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 09:28 PM

Coyotes and fox eat them raw, figure it can’t hurt a dog.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 09:43 PM

I don't/won't feed raw eggs to my chickens. Yes to the shells.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 09:48 PM

Loki doesn't seem to care for scrambled eggs and prefers his raw I guess.

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 11:00 PM

Well, have started to give my dogs an egg every morning and they love it and seem to be happier. Plus eggs are cheaper then canned food. I now can make a can last two days between two dogs mixed with dry food.

Plus, I make a small hole in the end of the shell and use it for predator trapping. An old trick i read about in FFG long time ago. Excellent for kitties, plus almost water proof for a lure holder. Sarge
Posted By: jtg

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/12/21 11:06 PM

I have been feeding raw eggs for years, raw meat and raw chicken too. Puppies raw chicken wings.

I boil eggs to feed gamefowl chicks.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/13/21 12:24 AM

Eggs are high in protein and fur and hair is 99% protein, so that is why eggs are good for the coat. Mink ranchers around here look for food waste like meat, cheese and broken eggs etc. as those are all great protein feeds and mink (ranch mink) have one of the shortest digestive systems percentage of body size of any animal and don't do well digesting fiber or proteins that are more protected etc.

Bryce
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Dogs & Eggs - 04/13/21 12:40 AM

Been feeding my dogs eggs raw or cooked for many years. Works well for us.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums