Home

Grey Fox Mount

Posted By: Lazarus

Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 05:51 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 06:27 AM

Interesting mount and display. Forgive me, but what is the low hanging fruit?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 09:43 AM

nice smile
Posted By: micheal

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 09:45 AM

Well done
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 10:50 AM

Very nice! I have a grey and red fox in the freezer I want to attempt to mount but I am fearful of hair slippage since they are notorious for that. I ordered a quart of stop-rot so now I just need to find the time to do it.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 11:23 AM

That's a nice looking mount.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 11:29 AM

Great job

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike

Manzanita berries. Greys feed heavily on them in the fall when they are plump. The idea here was to show a fox sort of cleaning up the last shriveled berries of the season.

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by T-REV
Very nice! I have a grey and red fox in the freezer I want to attempt to mount but I am fearful of hair slippage since they are notorious for that. I ordered a quart of stop-rot so now I just need to find the time to do it.

True, all foxes have that reputation. I followed Brian Hendricks' advice and prepared a pickle of 1 lb of salt per gallon of water, and then added a half ounce of acid for each gallon of water. Take the fox out of the freezer (whole) and submerge it in the pickle for 8-12 hours, then skin it and put the hide right back in the pickle. Proceed to tan it. As soon as you've completed tanning, turn it fur side out and blow dry the hair real good. Hope that helps. Brian has a Youtube video of skinning in the pickle if you want more detail.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 02:46 PM

Very nice
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 02:54 PM

They’ll climb persimmon trees here to get to the fruit. Very cool mount.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 04:46 PM

Real nice mount Lazarus!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
They’ll climb persimmon trees here t.

And even without persimmon trees around in the area they still go to our new bait persimmon sauce
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lazarus
Originally Posted by T-REV

True, all foxes have that reputation. I followed Brian Hendricks' advice and prepared a pickle of 1 lb of salt per gallon of water, and then added a half ounce of acid for each gallon of water. Take the fox out of the freezer (whole) and submerge it in the pickle for 8-12 hours, then skin it and put the hide right back in the pickle. Proceed to tan it. As soon as you've completed tanning, turn it fur side out and blow dry the hair real good. Hope that helps. Brian has a Youtube video of skinning in the pickle if you want more detail.

Thanks for that advice! The bobcat I recently skinned took forever to thaw. This method should really help with that and keep hair from slipping.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/09/21 11:00 PM

sweet
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/10/21 01:04 AM

Real nice; unique pose and props. Nice eyes and face too. See many that look a little "off"
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/10/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lazarus
Originally Posted by mad_mike

Manzanita berries. Greys feed heavily on them in the fall when they are plump. The idea here was to show a fox sort of cleaning up the last shriveled berries of the season.

I like it! Animals appear so much more natural when they are have focused eyes and no snarl. Your display is nicely put together and very interesting.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/10/21 02:23 AM

This is one of the nicest I've seen. Congratulations.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/10/21 02:54 PM

Super cool mount. Very nice!!
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Grey Fox Mount - 04/10/21 10:17 PM

Cool looking mount! He looks better than our gray foxes.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums