Home

The Boy is at it again!

Posted By: Trap Setter

The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 02:24 PM

Well it's time for The Boy to to make his money for the year. This is his 4th season selling his nightcrawlers. He works the stand till late June to early July. It really keeps him busy and teaches him the value of a dollar.

[Linked Image]

Here is team picking last night. My niece The Boy and myself.

Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 02:40 PM

Dang, Trap Setter, you just gave me goose bumps. A boy in his football uniform selling nightcrawlers and learning the value of making a couple bucks...

Keep it up! You are one heckuva Dad with one heckuva son!

Moosetrot
Posted By: corky

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:04 PM

Awesome. I can't believe that none of the kids around here do that.
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:06 PM

i would bump up your price,they are at least 4 bucks a dozen here,but thats great,brings back memories
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:11 PM

When I was a kid we got a penny for each worm. Good to see your boy earn his way, if he jacked the price up to four bucks a dozen he could make some serious money.

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:13 PM

When I was really little my Dad taught me to pick crawlers for bullhead fishin'. He would hold them from going back into their hole with one finger and pick them with the other hand. Was kind of tough back in the days before headlamps but it really worked!

Have fun and enjoy the Boy! (That's something I don't think I have to ell you, though!)

Moosetrot

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:13 PM

Thanks moosetrot.

I know corky. I don't know another one in our area, closest one I've seen is twenty miles away and we live in a small city of almost 70000. Three lakes and two rivers in town. Free product and a little work seems like there should a bunch of kids selling. Lots of parents I talk to say they don't want their kids to have to grow up too fast and have to work. Then we wonder why young adults have very little work ethic. I try to keep The Boy as innocent as I can but want to raise a productive adult and he will grow up to fast no matter what we do.

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:26 PM

Four dollars a dozen is about what they go for here too but he makes enough money to cover his spending for the year at $2. Plus I don't need The Boy walking around like he owns the place lol.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
When I was really little my Dad taught me to pick crawlers for bullhead fishin'. He would hold them from going back into their hole with one finger and pick them with the other hand. Was kind of tough back in the days before headlamps but it really worked!

Have fun and enjoy the Boy! (That's something I don't think I have to ell you, though!)

Moosetrot

Hey Moosy.....nothing better.... was when those crawlahs were having sex....got them both with one hand ...lol
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 04:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Probably pick more tonight the way it's raining. Old patio umbrella works great to stay dry on rainy nights.

Good job trap setter.
Posted By: LDW

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 04:40 PM

50 years ago, my sister and I sold nightcrawlers. We would go out in the rain at night and pick up ice cream buckets full. Seems like we got .25 cents a dozen. All things being equal, people would buy from a kid before an adult. We would keep them in the cool basement in a old bathtub.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 06:01 PM

We sold our night crawlahs for 1 cent each ....to a guy that had a packie Store...1969
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 09:29 PM

My kids picked and sold them for a buck/dozen. Couldn't keep enough. They did well
Posted By: Badger23

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/10/21 09:41 PM

My brother and I picked up a lot of crawlers as kids. Our house had a crappy basement with a dirt floor in most of it and Dad put a couple of old bathtubs down there. We never sold any as a family we pole and line fished every weekend. Once in a great whiile Dad would use a few for setlines we ran on weekends if we were short on crawdads and minnows for those.

Hope your kid does well selling them. I'm sure he has plenty of buyers.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 12:56 AM

After a big rain we used to scoop them up by the grain elevators.
Posted By: 080808

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 01:11 AM

Screamish (Amish) are currently selling for $.75/ dozen.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 03:13 AM

I'd definately buy worms from that young man.

Outstanding dad, outstanding
Posted By: womper

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 10:21 AM

i used to do that too. We sold to a local bait shop. We didn't want to wait around to sell them, to individual customers. We were too busy fishin, or mowin lawns or whatever else would earn us enough to go fishin some more, or buy us a brick of 22 ammo. ah the good old days.
Now, I almost always stop at a lemonade stand, and if I see a young'n out seller crawlers, sometimes I'll stop and buy them even if I don't need any. I've turned more than a few dozen loose in my yard and garden.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 11:18 AM

I was thinking about worms yesterday driving by a ball park in the city. Picked lots in my younger years for local stores and outfitters. Was thinking a couple hundred dozen would be a good addition to the new garden at camp don't know the back will like it lol.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 11:28 AM

that's great way to go dad , !!!! they will never forget things like this smile

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Screamish (Amish) are currently selling for $.75/ dozen.

Man at that price The Boy would be learning how supply chains and retail mark up work. laugh
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/11/21 08:12 PM

with the price at the bait shop you could do 2.50 and still be the best deal

one place here in town is 3 and the other 2 seventy something

has he started rising any , put some of what you pick into tubs with compost and let them multiply this works really fast with red worms , I purchased a pound put them in an 18 gallon toes with some holes drilled for drainage , my kids put the lid on tight once , had 10 pound worth of worms trying to get out , don't put the lid on tight unless you drill a bunch of holes.

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/30/21 12:13 AM

Well fishing opener is this weekend and he can't hardly keep up. At this rate he will have to close shop tomorrow afternoon and pick till can't see. He sold a bit over 100 dozen this week and 32 dozen today.

No farming for him yet may be a project for his teen years but nightcrawlers take up to a year to mature red worms around 60 days.

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/30/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Well fishing opener is this weekend and he can't hardly keep up. At this rate he will have to close shop tomorrow afternoon and pick till can't see. He sold a bit over 100 dozen this week and 32 dozen today.

No farming for him yet may be a project for his teen years but nightcrawlers take up to a year to mature red worms around 60 days.

Outstanding!!!!! Way to go to the boy and his Dad!

Moosetrot

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/30/21 12:36 AM

Thanks Moose. I might ask him for a loan.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/30/21 12:50 AM

Been a while since I have picked crawlers. Used a head light and fastened container to my belt. Some pickers fastened the container to there ankle.
always had both hands picking.
Jim
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: The Boy is at it again! - 04/30/21 02:39 AM

Very cool. Nice job!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums