Home

Ghost Guns

Posted By: Gary Benson

Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 06:43 PM

Explain me this. The way I got it figgered.......I can buy an 80% lower that is say Glock compatible. Buy the jig and kit, drill out the holes, buy the barrel, trigger assembly, magazine, action, etc. as Glock parts and assemble it? Is that how it works?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 06:58 PM

Better question is......

If there's no gun registry, aren't all guns " ghost guns" ?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 07:10 PM

Ghost guns sounds scary after the Assault rifle lost its emotional response

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 07:35 PM

OK, so ghost guns is a scary word the gubmint came up with. My apologies. How does a person find the proper parts to complete an 80% lower 1911 handgun?
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
OK, so ghost guns is a scary word the gubmint came up with. My apologies. How does a person find the proper parts to complete an 80% lower 1911 handgun?

It’s not hard.

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 08:42 PM

You blokes are so helpful.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/10/21 08:45 PM

If kill springs were called happy springs we would still be using them on public grounds.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 03:10 AM

Call brownells and talk to a tech. Ask them normal parts count, add 25% for uh-ohs. Multiply the quoted time frame by 3-4, and that's how long it will take.

There's a reason so few 1911's are done at home vs. AR's. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot more skill.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
If kill springs were called happy springs we would still be using them on public grounds.

grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Law Dog

grin

grin
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 10:25 AM

there are videos on you tube.

here in ks its still legal to sell or buy firearms without any paperwork between nondealers.

buying a firearm from an individual will also give it "ghost gun" status.

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 10:32 AM

https://www.armslist.com/posts/13192022/wichita-kansas-handguns-for-trade--sig-sauer-1911-platinum
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/11/21 12:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 12:31 PM

Explain me this. The way I got it figgered.......I can buy an 80% lower that is say Glock compatible. Buy the jig and kit, drill out the holes, buy the barrel, trigger assembly, magazine, action, etc. as Glock parts and assemble it? Is that how it works?

Exactly, your buying a frame just like you would buying a frame from glock. the only difference is you have to complete the frame hence the 80%, so there are no serial numbers. the difference is its only legal to have if YOU are the one who built it. so you can legally sell or give to someone else. my buddy made an AR in 6.5. a really nice gun. It was stolen along with others 2 years ago. so the only negative i can see is in his case the gun cant be entered as stolen since there is no serial number.

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 12:52 PM

No you can not sell it or give it to someone else.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 12:53 PM

There's also the thing about collectors value if you're worried about such things, or if the thing fails you don't have any recourse.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

says who? can you find me a ruling on this
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 01:04 PM

It has to get a serial number to legally sell it, if I make one I'm not supposed to take it out of iowa I heard, I think if I register it and apply a serial number then I can travel with it
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 02:49 PM

How many times have you been on the road, and pulled over to check the serial number on your gun or guns? Coming to a state near you when the jo and ho show gets in full swing! Glad I live in Ks!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
How many times have you been on the road, and pulled over to check the serial number on your gun or guns? Coming to a state near you when the jo and ho show gets in full swing! Glad I live in Ks!

That will be interesting with the millions of guns manufactured pre 1968 that needed nor had any serial number.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
It has to get a serial number to legally sell it, if I make one I'm not supposed to take it out of iowa I heard, I think if I register it and apply a serial number then I can travel with it

And the minute you put a serial number on it you become the manufacturer. Gotta firearms manufacturing license?

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 08:53 PM

again can you show the ruling on this vs hear say

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 10:44 PM

I was a licensed dealer for a decade it is not a RULEING it is a BATF&E federal regulation .
When you become a licensee in addition to your license, the ATF sends you t two books, one red, one blue. the blue one is the current laws and regulation published by the individual states. with addendums mailed out as new statues become law.
The Red one is all of the FEDERAL regulations pertaining to firearms. Both books are updated and reprinted and sent out periodically as they become incomplete as to new regulation. This happens about once every three years. Occasionally between updates a ATF NOTIFICATION will arrive with new info pertaining to new regs and when they will be in effect.
If you have a question about firearm laws the phone books have a listing for your regional Bureau of ALCOHOL
TOBACCO FIREARMS & EXPLOSIVES office and you can call them and speak to a federal agent and ask them whatever questions you need to know. The answer they give you will come from one or both of those two books

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 11:02 PM

You blokes are so helpful.

There are several businesses that sell parts kits Brownells, Rock River arms, CDNN. Cylinder and Slide. To name a few.
Sorry Gary just read your post didn’t realize the closet clowns had ya surrounded.

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/12/21 11:46 PM

Kansas law says if you stamp made in Kansas on a firearm you built, and sell it to a resident of KS, its legal. The state wont back anybody up on it though. Right after the law passed a a couple guys near Junction City were arrested. Nothing but crickets from the state. Ok to make marijuana legal in spite of federal law but not firearms. Go figure.....
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/13/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by iayogi17
Originally Posted by danny clifton

says who? can you find me a ruling on this

danny i meant to say you cant. look under atf website, it clearly states
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/13/21 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by iayogi17

again can you show the ruling on this vs hear say

Nope just what I heard, looking at post below he says they cannot be sold

Re: Ghost Guns - 04/13/21 08:30 PM

Federal law does not require a homemade gun to have an identifying marker (such as a serial number), as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker. However, if the gun is subsequently sold or otherwise transferred, it should be marked prior to its disposition. The ATF suggests that all homemade firearms be marked with a serial number as a safeguard in the event the firearm is lost or stolen, but requires it if the gun is otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

The key in determining whether a homemade gun can be legally sold or transferred rests with knowing the intent of the maker when the gun was first created. Relevant factors in determining the transferor’s intent may include: the length of time between the creation of the firearm and its transfer; the specific reason for the sale or transfer; and whether the maker of the firearm frequently sells or transfers homemade firearms. For example, a time lapse between creation and sale of many years, a reason for sale that has no sinister overtones, and a transfer that is one-in-a-lifetime for the transferor, would indicate an original intent to keep the gun. By contrast, quickly transferring a gun right after its creation, to someone who could not legally possess a firearm, by someone who regularly transfers such guns, would indicate a lack of intent to keep the gun.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums