Home

Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish?

Posted By: Leftlane

Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 03:31 AM

Me neither!
This little fella helped me fit the the puzzle together and now Ima put the grind on em! They don't know it yet but they got trouble comin grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 03:44 AM

Yes. I hate when I catch a fish on the first cast. Seems like when that happens it's the only fish I catch.

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 04:07 AM

Well I suppose that would be a let down.

I put a lot of casts and half my tackle box in to catch that little fella but after that I was in em. It will be hard to sleep tonight knowing what comes tomorrow
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 04:12 AM

Not since I switched to circle hooks.
I miss a lot of bites, but I can throw back a lot fish that I would have otherwise have had to keep due to damage done.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nelly
Not since I switched to circle hooks.
I miss a lot of bites, but I can throw back a lot fish that I would have otherwise have had to keep due to damage done.

Do you leave the barbs on your hooks?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 06:11 AM

Yes-too many surfaced once causing a lot of work.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 10:23 AM

I regret every time I catch an eel. They're not very cooperative.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Yes-too many surfaced once causing a lot of work.

Use a smaller charge, Boco. grin
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 11:15 AM

Only regretted one, Had her mounted and hangs on the wall right by me now. Not the biggest Northern Pike by a long shot. But I live on a 40 acre very private lake I been fishing since I my first sunfish caught as a toddler. She was caught through the ice right in front of my home, 40 inches long and 16 1/2 # back in1996. The taxidermist did such a lifelike mount my regret happened the day I picked it up. I have caught a few whoppers since, always releasing. My favorite eating size for pike is 18 to 30 inches, I made the mistake once of serving Northern pike and Walleye at the same fish fry....I still eat and catch walleye but hands down prefer Pike at the table. I have a few times fileted fresh bluegills still in a pikes gullet while they hit my spearing decoy or tip up!! I turn loose every big old snapping turtle now, keeping the smaller just legal size for eating.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 11:23 AM

Thats a before picture right...... what did ya catch with that little bait ??
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 11:32 AM

Yes....my favorite honey hole is on a river in Wyoming. It's a stretch that's artificials only, and catch-and-release. There are a ton of 18-21" rainbows and an occasional brown and they only got that way because of catch-and-release. Occasionally one will deep-throat a lure and don't live but they still must be released. The big trout aren't good eating anyway.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 01:49 PM

if I ever regretted catching a fish it was 3 at once , all steel head and they decided to make runs back and forth.

they are on lead line on boards I ended up hauling in 2 of them hand over hand then spent the next hour or more untangling line trying to save as much as possible. couldn't save it all that fishing trip ended with a trip to Gander for a bunch of new line.

but it was alright , I needed something to get my dad for father day , I went home and built a 6 spool line rack that used springs flat washers and felt washers with wing nuts to adjust the tension on the spool.

it works great he can clamp it to the bench and keep nice tension , he puts a lot of line on often 10 colors of lead line.

no not regretted fish only lost tackle.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 02:14 PM

Yes.....when it’s a bass
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 03:10 PM

Yes, when I caught a small Brook trout in a bottom edge set for mink. Not big enough to eat and it was dead.

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Yes.....when it’s a bass

Quit smokin that stuff already bass are good fish.

Gary, stuff like that irks me.

Pete live and learn- get better prepared & then it will never happen again LOL.

Trapdog1 ya beat me too it. Sounds like the royal mounties need a swamp wolf on the job!
whistle
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 03:46 PM

When I tell my wife "Just one more, then we can go." I always really regret catching that last fish...

Jack
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
When I tell my wife "Just one more, then we can go." I always really regret catching that last fish...

Jack

good one jack!
Posted By: Savell

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:01 PM

... yes... every time on these lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Pete live and learn- get better prepared & then it will never happen again LOL.

no when you have 12 lines out and 3 fish on at a time , it just happens some times reel as fast as you can to keep them from getting in other lines , do your best to move other lines.

we get fewer tangles with 9 lines

steel heads , surface , flip , and make runs side to side , sometimes at the boat

it will happen again , it's the trade off run more lines you have more depths and baits covered you also have more tackle in the water

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:09 PM

Have to wait till December now as these guys headed north as the water warmed up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savell

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:12 PM

... you ought to stuff an oxygen tank down its throat and then shoot it with a 30 06 scuba lol

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:17 PM

laugh We just tag them and let them go. A buddy does nothing else anymore but charter for shark fishing. Great whites during the cold times and Hammers , tigers and bulls during the summer. Right now its quiet. I'll go out for a hammerhead in a couple of month or so when the water gets a bit warmer.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I regret every time I catch an eel. They're not very cooperative.

Yep. We call them slime rockets here.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 06:05 PM

Some sharks are good to eat-not sure if those big ones are used for human consumption.
In Ireland the Sweet William(dogfish) shark is very good eating.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 06:09 PM

Yes.....when it’s a bass

I caught you a delicious bass.

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 07:03 PM

It begs the question though, why the heck goes fishing during turkey season??

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
It begs the question though, why the heck goes fishing during turkey season??

in WI you get one stinking week in the draw

so until it is your week hurry up and wait
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 08:58 PM

80 lb tarpon on a hand line while trolling. I had scars on my hand for years from when that thing hit.
Posted By: Klemke

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 10:08 PM

I regret catching a big catfish from my pond, 90x90 foot and 12 feet deep. It was big when I moved in 10 years before and as I feed the bluegills it would come up and eat with them, sometimes eating a small gill. One day after a few beers I decided I was going to catch it and see how long it was. Caught a small gill hooked it on and when I saw the catfish feeding I pitched the gill in and the cat gobbled it up. It was a good fight and after landing him and measuring it at 25 inches I released it. A couple days later he was float on his back in the pond. That's the only fish I regret catching. I wonder how old it was.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Yes.....when it’s a bass

I caught you a delicious bass.

LOL!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 11:32 PM

Only when I'm not halfway through processing them and my back is killing me.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Have ya ever regretted catchin a fish? - 04/11/21 11:56 PM

I caught about a 24 inch northern pike in the fall of 1976. There were five us on a grouse hunting and late season fishing trip. We had a contest for largest fish. I caught this pike and we measured it, it was the largest one of the first day. One of the guys in the other boat asked me to hoist it up so they could see it. I put my hand through the gill and when it flipped hard my hand slipped and my fore finger slid into the big back teeth and sliced the upper portion of my pointer finger from the tip to the first joint. Could hardly get it to stop bleeding, lost the fish and even today the scar is still there. Two days later I caught a 28 inch musky (not legal then as the size limit was 30 inches) and thus did not count for largest fish. The winner won with a 26 inch pike!. The cut was like a razor cut and I have never hoisted a pike since or musky.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums