Home

Pepper ball guns

Posted By: Tactical.20

Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 03:28 PM

Do they work good to stop a bad person?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 03:32 PM

If they are bad enough to need stopping, I am not messing around with pepper balls.

Inside a house, I would guess the "cloud" would cause issues, not just for the target. Similar to trying to shoot bear spray upwind.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 03:44 PM

Kinda like asking if you can catch a beaver with a #1. Perfect circumstances yes, but not all.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 04:13 PM

you can drop a 600 pound Grizzly with a 22 short single shot rifle. it has been done. definitely no ones first choice.

there is little use that is both legal and effective for use on humans unless you are breaking up a riot , which is not your job that is a LEO job or NG.

they could be good for encouraging bears that like to visit your home or farm to leave from the safety of your truck or house. then again so would rubber buckshot and you already have a shotgun. nor are bear a huge issue in IA.

the odd thing is that with people you basically have to be justified to use lethal force before you can use less than lethal force. less than lethal force almost comes with more restrictions on use than lethal force does.

as an example the rubber slugs may only be used for 5 rounds max on an induvial before tactics need to be changed I was talking with police chief in the neighboring town when he picked up the orange stocks for the shotgun they were designating less than lethal I asked if he was going to add a mag tube extender also , he said not much point they have to stop using it at 5 rounds because some Florida department shot a guy who had taped manchettes to his hands so that he couldn't drop them 40 times and the guy died of internal bleeding.
new standards of use had to be set and that placed the number of rounds at 5.

the expandable batons are another example of legal use vs effective use and their is a tiny window of legal and effective use.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 04:19 PM

Yes and no.
Many deputy sheriffs friends of mine use them. They are useful on some people and very irritating for others. Capsaicin in a paintball.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:03 PM

Not sure about Pepper ball.. But a High Powered Paint ball with some frozen paint balls in it will Hurt I know for a fact.

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:04 PM

I see, kinda what I figured, on the news they bragged them up

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:17 PM

Until there is something that comes out that can shut down a person's nervous system at range, non lethals will always be a risky proposition against a determined/drug fueled attack.

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Until there is something that comes out that can shut down a person's nervous system at range, non lethals will always be a risky proposition against a determined/drug fueled attack.

I believe that, I hear a taser doesn't always work on everyone
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:34 PM

Can be very useful in a CONTROLLED setting with irritants dispersing as they bust open. They do hurt like a …… especially up close but I wouldn't trust my safety to one on the street or as home defense. Ours were very accurate "when" they didn't jam up, which was seldom. Not very reliable at all.

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:36 PM

I see, ya I used to paint ball with my son's, I almost took one in the nutes!

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

I believe that, I hear a taser doesn't always work on everyone

Simple clothing can defeat a taser.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 05:46 PM

To stop these rioters all you have to do Is do a fly over and dump a load of fire retardant on them. You would be killing two birds with one load. Stopping the thugs and putting out any fires they started.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 06:13 PM

Kinda like asking if you can catch a beaver with a #1. Perfect circumstances yes, but not all.

Exactly!!!!
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

as an example the rubber slugs may only be used for 5 rounds max on an individual before tactics need to be changed I was talking with police chief in the neighboring town when he picked up the orange stocks for the shotgun they were designating less than lethal I asked if he was going to add a mag tube extender also , he said not much point they have to stop using it at 5 rounds because some Florida department shot a guy who had taped manchettes to his hands so that he couldn't drop them 40 times and the guy died of internal bleeding.

So, does that mean after the first five rubber slugs, you can switch to hollow point lead slugs.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/13/21 11:13 PM

Criminals are a protected species in the US now.

Keith

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 02:06 AM

Especially if they are illegal alien criminals
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 03:29 AM

If he or she has made it into my house, I’m slinging lead at them
I’m sure they didn’t come to borrow a cup and of sugar.
Funny thing is until abt a decade ago I never had or thought abt buying a gun for home defense
I carry 24/7 now, sad that it has come to that.
Remember guys not all Democrats are criminals
But all Criminals are Democrats
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 12:43 PM

I personally have shot multiple people with a pepper ball gun. For you folks that don't know, pepper balls are harder than your common paint balls, and they fire with more force. Some folks it works on, others it doesn't. In my 15 years of LEO experience, I prefer the pepper ball over the pepper spray. The physical impact of the pepper ball combined with the immediate dust of powder seems to have more of an effect. With that said, I have personally witnessed on multiple occasions where spray or pepper balls had little to no effect on a subject.

Not long ago, I responded to a fight with weapons included, 4 on 1. The victim was stabbed 37 times, with 3 shanks, and the 4th subject had a lock on a belt beating away on the victims head and face. Backup came into my unit from 2 directions, firing cans of gas, pepper spray, and shooting the main subject stabbing the victim with the pepper ball guns.The pepper balls were "walked in" from a distance up to point blank because he wouldn't stop. This man was literally straddling the victim, beating a 13" shank through this victims chest. The shank was literally exiting the back of the victim. When everyone was restrained, there were 7 pepper balls embedded in the subjects back, that had not burst. They were fired from such close range, they literally looked like giant cysts. In the debrief, the main subject stated "I never felt the pepper balls until after I was cuffed."

With that said, the pepper ball is just another tool. Like a taser, baton, pepper spray, etc they are not going to work 100% of the time on everyone. I personally am thankful our institutions have pepper balls, because walk a beat in my shoes without a baton or side arm, you would be dam thankful for whatever munitions you are allowed to use.

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
I personally have shot multiple people with a pepper ball gun. For you folks that don't know, pepper balls are harder than your common paint balls, and they fire with more force. Some folks it works on, others it doesn't. In my 15 years of LEO experience, I prefer the pepper ball over the pepper spray. The physical impact of the pepper ball combined with the immediate dust of powder seems to have more of an effect. With that said, I have personally witnessed on multiple occasions where spray or pepper balls had little to no effect on a subject.

Not long ago, I responded to a fight with weapons included, 4 on 1. The victim was stabbed 37 times, with 3 shanks, and the 4th subject had a lock on a belt beating away on the victims head and face. Backup came into my unit from 2 directions, firing cans of gas, pepper spray, and shooting the main subject stabbing the victim with the pepper ball guns.The pepper balls were "walked in" from a distance up to point blank because he wouldn't stop. This man was literally straddling the victim, beating a 13" shank through this victims chest. The shank was literally exiting the back of the victim. When everyone was restrained, there were 7 pepper balls embedded in the subjects back, that had not burst. They were fired from such close range, they literally looked like giant cysts. In the debrief, the main subject stated "I never felt the pepper balls until after I was cuffed."

With that said, the pepper ball is just another tool. Like a taser, baton, pepper spray, etc they are not going to work 100% of the time on everyone. I personally am thankful our institutions have pepper balls, because walk a beat in my shoes without a baton or side arm, you would be dam thankful for whatever munitions you are allowed to use.

Wow! Question answered!
That's crazy huh! I think a 9mm with hollow points will be my choice

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

as an example the rubber slugs may only be used for 5 rounds max on an individual before tactics need to be changed I was talking with police chief in the neighboring town when he picked up the orange stocks for the shotgun they were designating less than lethal I asked if he was going to add a mag tube extender also , he said not much point they have to stop using it at 5 rounds because some Florida department shot a guy who had taped manchettes to his hands so that he couldn't drop them 40 times and the guy died of internal bleeding.

So, does that mean after the first five rubber slugs, you can switch to hollow point lead slugs.

basically , they wanted there to be no miss understanding that after 5 rounds it becomes lethal so I suppose you need to officially put down the orange shotgun and use the not orange gun since you designated the orange one less than lethal.

like so many rulings made it only specifies what you can't do and doesn't really state what you can or should do , but a change of tactics is required.

how do you go about getting a guy who has manchettes duct taped to his hands was chasing people around , who has now backed himself under a stair well and swings at anyone who comes close? you can only carry so many tools in a cruiser. this might actually be a good use of that pepper ball or pepper spray. make the air under the stairs un breathable
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/14/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Criminals are a protected species in the US now.
Keith

I wish I had a good argument for ya Mista! I go all caps and keyboard kung fun you so bad it would embarrass the wimen and childen round here but I got nuthin.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/15/21 01:46 PM

I just ordered a five round Byrna 68 caliber pepper ball gun, with extra mag. for the wife. There ain't no way she would ever shoot a lethal round at anyone. Even so, she agrees that in this day and age, she needs something.

So, the beauty of these is that you don't need to be up close and personal, like with a stun gun, pepper spray, and even Taser. This one claims to be effective at 60 feet. Nothing is perfect, but, an least with this she will have something, which is a whole lot better than nothing.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/15/21 03:21 PM

They're awesome in corrections .

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/16/21 02:35 AM

I bet, I didn't like getting a direct hit from paint ball, those sound much worse
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/16/21 11:18 AM

I’ve been looking at a Byrna gun for the wife. Supposed to be top of the line unit. Anyone have experience with them. She’s a crack shot with a 22 or shotgun. I have a tactical 12 gauge close to her in the bedroom she can shoot but hand guns aren’t her thing. I figured something in her car or hand bag is better then nothing.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/16/21 11:21 AM

T-Rex I missed your post when reading the thread. I’d like to know what you think when it’s delivered. I’ve heard great things about them.

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/18/21 01:09 AM

I think the Bryna is perfect for the wife, but, personally I have a major concern about them.

They are a less than lethal weapon, but look like a regular handgun. I think that makes them a target. I've told the wife: " Use it if you have to... then get the he el out of there."

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/18/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I think the Bryna is perfect for the wife, but, personally I have a major concern about them.

They are a less than lethal weapon, but look like a regular handgun. I think that makes them a target. I've told the wife: " Use it if you have to... then get the hele out of there."

for civilians any weapon lethal or non lethal is primarily a tool to create a break in contact.

you are only legally allowed to stop the threat some times that takes lethal action

if you have a small caliber or low capacity , or non lethal gun it is all about making space to evade

Re: Pepper ball guns - 04/18/21 01:58 AM

Four rules to justify the use of deadly force:

• You need to be in fear of great bodily harm
  • no lesser force will suffice
  • You are an unwilling participant
  • No retreat is possible

While the Bryna is less than lethal the fundamentals remain the same: Do what you can to stop the threat, and avoid being a victim. Since you have used what you expect to be non lethal; there is no need to hang around to give aid to the perp.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums