Home

Coyote Days 2021 (Demo List)

Posted By: John Graham

Coyote Days 2021 (Demo List) - 04/14/21 12:26 AM

Well, time is really flying by and it will be summer before you know it. I just thought I'd post the dates of the 3rd annual Coyote Days, which will be held in Lusk, WY., at the Niobrara Co. Fairgrounds.

August 20-21, which is Friday/Saturday.

20 demos in 2 days!- Trapping/Snaring/Calling/ADC/Fur Handling

Round table discussion with 10 top trappers on Friday evening. (worth the drive alone)

I'll post more soon.
We filled the town up, and then some last year, and I know this year's event will be even bigger.

I listed all the Motels (5) and campgrounds (3) in the next issue of Trappers Post Magazine.

There is also unlimited tent and camper parking on the grounds.
Hook-ups on the grounds is limited.

Any questions, PM me

With the coyote market ending on a positive note, if you are wanting to learn more, or just come and visit with some of the very top producers and coyote minds, this is the place to be!

Thanks, John Graham

Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/14/21 04:13 AM

Up for John.

Incidentally I made motel reservations just the other day.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/14/21 10:20 AM

I have attended the last 2 years. John assembles an amazing amount of knowledge to give the demos, it's actually almost more than you can absorb. I can't imagine the total years of experience, would have to be several hundred years. He also puts on a tremendous steak feed. Not going to make it this year, but definitely plan on next year.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/14/21 10:41 AM

sounds great hope to make it
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/14/21 02:21 PM

Was a really fun get together last year. Plan to make the trip again!
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/15/21 12:26 AM

Plan on going again, had a great time last year. Made a vacation out of it.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/15/21 01:28 AM

Those that have never been, this should be on your to-do list this year!!
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/15/21 01:32 AM

I'll probably mosey up that way again this year!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/15/21 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input and great reviews everyone. I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 limited edition (I have #3) for a raffle item. It is a commemorative of the Trump Presidency.

I'll send it to Monstertoms and see if he'll post it.

Thanks

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/15/21 11:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 01:21 AM

Seriously thinking about making the trip up there this year.
Hope James doesn't buy all the raffle tickets for that gun before the rest of us get a chance

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 01:50 AM

Seth, you need to come! As for Jimmy, eh, I wouldn't worry about him wanting Trump stuff. He can't get past making America great again!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 02:33 AM

I’d love to go but silage harvest gets in the way. I’ll start praying for rain now and maybe things will work out

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 03:13 AM

Brad, it's supposed to start here tonight and rain all day tomorrow.....but that might be too soon to do you much good! grin
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Hope James doesn't buy all the raffle tickets for that gun before the rest of us get a chance

Have been seriously thinking about making the pilgrimage myself. Would be great to meet up with you as well as many others.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 10:29 AM

Will have to sit out this year but its on my bucket list for future event.
Jim

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/16/21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Have been seriously thinking about making the pilgrimage myself. Would be great to meet up with you as well as many others.

I'd really enjoy meeting all the guys from trapperman that would be there. Always a blessing to put a face with a name.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/17/21 07:17 AM

Yes, like minded people meeting up is a great byproduct of events like Coyote Days.

I've been asked several times over the last few years, WHY I started Coyote Days?

I've got several reasons to be honest, but mainly it's because I've burned up most of my life chasing coyotes. I've met a lot of great people along the way, and Some of them I've inspired, and a lot inspired ME. This is my chance, and my way, of giving some of that back.

I honestly don't think there is anywhere that a person can learn so much about coyotes, and the coyote business from top to bottom.

20 demos in 2 days is just part of it. Many, many of the attendees are great coyote minds too. There is a LOT of information shared.

And, The Trump gun is just one of the guns that will be raffled that weekend. I usually sponsor a few guns for local groups and for Miss Rodeo Wyoming to raffle off there. ALL tickets are sold there, so someone attending Coyote Days will win them.
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/17/21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by John Graham

I honestly don't think there is anywhere that a person can learn so much about coyotes, and the coyote business from top to bottom.

20 demos in 2 days is just part of it. Many, many of the attendees are great coyote minds too. There is a LOT of information shared.

Having attended last year, I have to agree with John!
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/17/21 04:12 PM

Right now I’m planning on making the trip.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/18/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Castormound
I'll probably mosey up that way again this year!

Have to introduce yourself castormound, since I just live up the road from you.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/20/21 02:24 AM

Sure thing
Posted By: Mort Neff

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 04/20/21 04:15 PM

Looking forward to another year of Coyote Days. Learned a lot last year and have a Yooper buddy coming this year, also.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/02/21 05:19 PM

I'm waiting on a couple of people to confirm and I'll post the Demo List for this years Coyote Days.

I talked to Lee Steinmeyer yesterday, and he is added to this years demo lineup, and he is bringing some Deathrays and Fleshing knives with him.

I bought 2 Deathrays last year, and used them a lot. They are a very good item. I told Lee to being me another one, as they come in handy for multiple catches and I work out of two pickups and a side by side, so having one on in each vehicle is the plan. I can't say enough good about the Deathrays, and if you want to pick one up, you might order ahead.

This years lineup will include a few more ADC type demo presenters, as there was quite a bit of interest in that type of thing. (and rightfully so, it's a great way of life and has serves some of us well) And, plenty of fur trapping/snaring, fur handling and marketing info, as well as world class calling demos.

We'll also cover gland collecting in detail, and some other important tips. All in all, we'll cover a pile of topics, and as always, the demo presenters are all easily approachable, and a wealth of knowledge.

We have a full page ad in the Trapper Post Magazine this month, and we'll have an ad with demo list on it in the future. Time is flying by, and we'll keep you updated,

And, I've been asked if there is an entrance fee

Yes, we'll charge $10 for entrance for the weekend, It helps us pay for the fairgrounds, and motel rooms for the demo guys.

Stay tuned

Thanks, john
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/02/21 11:30 PM

I called Dale at the "Trail Motel" about week ago and got Webb an myself a room for three nights.
Always enjoy staying with Dale as he runs a nice place at a reasonable price. Plus he is right across the street from the fair grounds so we can walk to the convention.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/03/21 12:38 AM

If Lee's doing a demo I'm going to have to commit to getting up there this year. Us kansas boys got to stick together.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/03/21 02:01 AM

I'm working on making it happen for me this year.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/03/21 09:37 AM

I've attended the last 2 years and was going to set this one out. After reading John's last update, I think I'm going to reconsider. I have one of Lee's Deathrays, 2 of his knives and a earth anchor driver. Top notch quality and workmanship. Very reasonable prices on his excellent products.
Posted By: RenoMick

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/08/21 03:17 PM

I'll be there again for sure. I've got a list of supplies, including a few more of Otis's stretchers and one of Lee's death rays, if I can talk him into a cup of his fine homemade wine to go with it. grin
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/08/21 03:41 PM

Will there be any tailgating and trading sellers allowed??

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/11/21 11:08 PM

I have the tentative list of demo presenters for Coyote Days, 2021 (In no particular order)

Boone Liane- SD- Coyote trapping/Snaring/ADC
Jim Arneson/JD Arneson- MT- Coyote calling and long range shooting
Bill Ilchick and Joel Blakeslee- NV- Bobcat trapping
Evan Anderson- SD- Coyote Trapping/Snaring
Roc Lee- MT- Coyote Snaring
Brad Troftgruben- WY- ADC Coyotes/M-44's
Les Johnson- NE- Coyote Calling
Justin Lemke- MT- Fur handling
John Graham & Dale Greenough- WY - Coyote Trapping/Snaring/ADC
Vern Howey- WY- Coyote Calling/ADC
Otis Latham & Todd Fairchild- CO- Coyote fur handling
Dan Hartman- MT- Coyote trapping and snaring
Colt Violet - WY- Coyote handling and marketing tips
Nick Smith- WY- Coyote ADC work
Scott Huber- SD- M-44's/fence snaring/Decoy Dogs
Lee Steinmeyer- KS- Coyote trapping and Death Ray usage
Dick Hane- CO- Coyote tips and ADC methods
Chris McAllister - SD- Coyote ADC
Mike Liane- ND- Coyote fur handling and tips
Dan Roberts- SD- Gland Collecting

FRIDAY NIGHT ROUNDTABLE 7 PM in main arena

As you can see, we are leaning towards a little more of the ADC (Predator Control) end of things this year, but we still have world class fur trapping and fur handling info .

These demos are ALL by people out there doing it, and are a wealth of knowledge!

I will post the scheduled times of each demo as we get closer, when we draw them out of a hat.

There will be a one hour demo slot on Saturday that I, and two or three other predator control trappers will talk about and demonstrate first hand, that I've never heard of being shown or talked about in any demo, ANYWHERE.

If you want to take your Coyote taking knowledge up a notch or two, this is the place to be!

August 20-21 LUSK, WY

It's coming up fast, and it will be here before you know it.

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/11/21 11:14 PM

Do we need to buy tickets or anything ahead of time

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/11/21 11:54 PM

Yes Sir- No, you can buy a wrist band for admittance for the weekend ($10) when you get here

The banquet tickets will be sold at the front registration desk. First come, first served basis. We'll probably cap it at 300 again, so it shouldn't be a problem.

All raffle tickets will be only sold here, so the winners WILL all be people that attend.

Good question, thanks for asking!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/13/21 12:17 AM

I guess the Trail Motel is full, so if needing a room, call any of the other ones listed!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/13/21 01:37 AM

John the demo list looks fantastic. Thanks for putting this on. I’d love to make it

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/14/21 09:46 AM

Pawnee- Hey, You are welcome. Try to make it, It's going to be a great one!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/18/21 01:43 AM

A buddy of mine from Idaho just told me that he got the second to last room at the Rawhide Hotel, so only one room left there! (307) 334-2440

Motel rooms are going to go quick, and there's still 3 months to go.

If you are planning on getting a motel, you might do it quick. We're getting a LOT of inquires and its only May.

Covered Wagon Motel (307) 334-2836
Best Western Pioneer (307) 334-2640
Townhouse Motel (307) 334-2376

CAMPGROUNDS-

BJ's Campground (307) 334-2314
Prairie view Campground (307) 334-3174
Lone Pine Campground (307) 216-0148

And like I've mentioned before, there is basically unlimited camping right on the fairgrounds, if you don't need hookups or have a tent. Showers on the grounds.

$10 admission for the weekend

Banquet tickets on sale at the check in desk

A few post ago, I listed the Demo Lineup.

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/29/21 06:50 PM

Coyote Days Update:

Things are coming together nicely, and we're getting a few things done that usually happen at the last minute, so HOPEFULLY we're prepared for the huge turnout we expect!

We're going to use the main lawn (North of building) for demos again, with the option open for any presenter that wishes to use the area south of the main building for a more natural type setting. The few shade trees, and the big pipe railing around part of the north area comes in handy for people to sit on and lean against, so we're going to take advantage of it.

We'll have the usual bleachers for seating, but like last year, I'm encouraging people to bring their own LAWN CHAIR if you wish!

We have a decent sound system, so hearing isn't an issue, but if you find yourself sitting in a spot that you can't see as well as you'd like, just find the person later, and ask questions. It's what this event is all about.

We'll have the Friday Evening round table discussion in the main arena again, so we have lights and the sound system there.
The format will be the same as last year- with your choice, if asking a question, to either be for everyone, or one specific person.

There will be a PILE of information shared during the round table discussion the last few years, with 10-12 (or more) pros giving you their thoughts. I honestly felt last years panel was unprecedented, and never to be duplicated, but I assure you that this years will be in the same league.

I've been asked twice why am I leaning a little more towards ADC/Predator Control guys for demos?

The answer is simple: Most of these people were fur trappers before they went in to full-time or seasonal control work, so they know coyotes from top to bottom. Being in the field for so much of the year, gives them a lot of insight and experiences that aren't found while just fur trapping. Believe me, the more you can learn about coyotes, the more you will have to apply to your own efforts.

And, ALL of these guys are people that are out there DOING IT. The predator control field is made up of a lot of people that don't normally frequent conventions and/or give demos. There is a lot to learn from them. Since that is the field that I work in, I personally know and visit with many people about it throughout the year, and have for 38 years now. I hand pick people that I know have something to offer, and can convey it. AND, we also have the top fur producers from different areas/states on board too. In my eyes, it's another 'dream team', of coyote minded demo presenters!

To answer a few other questions: NO camp fires allowed on the grounds. It's pretty much a county wide rule anyway, in August.

All camping fees for on the grounds should be paid directly to the Fairgrounds office. But, if they aren't open, you can give the money to us at our main desk, and we will put it aside until after the event, and we can give it to them then. We don't encourage that, but we CAN do it.

More and more people are showing up on Thursday evening now, so they are here when the event officially starts bright and early on Friday, when we open the doors at 7 a.m. in the main building (at south end of grounds), and have breakfast available. The coffee pot will be on even earlier.

We'll have the National Anthem at 7:45 a.m., followed by a brief introduction, (by myself) and then the first demo will start at 8 a.m. sharp.

Demos will start every hour, right through lunch, with 10 each day.

Vendors will be demo people that have items they sell (Latham stretchers, Lee Steinmeyer, Vern Howey, Les Johnson, etc)
A buddy of mine that has a local gun shop sets up also. There is a variety to choose from.

There will be some raffles going on too, a few guns, bear trap, etc. ALL tickets are sold at Coyote Days only, so the winners Will be an attendee!

All in all, it's coming together, with the help and suggestions from some good friends.

Coyote Days is about providing solid info as well as meeting new and old friends.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, John
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/30/21 03:49 PM

Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 05/30/21 11:36 PM

Les Weaver, the new owner of the Hancock Trap Co. (Live beaver trap) is a dealer that will have a booth at Coyote Days.

Les bought the company from a buddy of mine in South Dakota last year, and has been building up an inventory of them.

We visited today, and he mentioned that it cost about $75 to ship one of the Hancock's, so if anyone wanted to pre-order one or more, this would be a good chance to pick up directly and save some serious money. Les also mentioned that he'd be bringing some traps to sell here also.

Les's number is: (605) 673-5858
Give him a call if you are looking for Hancock beaver traps. He can ship them too, if you aren't planning on coming to Coyote Days.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Smoky Hill

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/01/21 02:06 AM

Looking forward to this event! Wanted to go in the past but finally committed to it this year.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/04/21 09:37 AM

Great, Smoky Hill, We'll see you in August!

I just wanted to mention that for folks flying in for Coyote Days, The 2 best airports in MY opinion.

I'm not a big fan of the Denver airport, and even though it looks close to Lusk, Wyoming on the map, it isn't a quick trip in most cases. The traffic is bad most days, and what should be an hour to the WY border, can be much longer. And, it takes forever to get out of there at times. But, IF you hit it right, like middle of the night, it would be a little faster. I'll call Denver my third choice.

Casper, Wyoming is only about 1 hour and 45 minutes to the west, and takes about a minute to get out of, once you get your rental car. Then its only 5 minutes and your on Interstate for about 45 miles before turning off to head to Lusk. Most flights from the West connect through SLC.

From the East, I'd fly to Rapid City, SD. It's very easy to rent a car, and get on the road fast. A small, but well laid out airport.
It's about 2 1/2 hours from Lusk, and goes through some really nice country on the way here. We use it quite a bit ourselves, and it is always simple to get in and out of, which I like. Its (RAP) in airline lingo.

If you have a little time coming from Rapid City, or driving from the east, a slight detour to drive through Chadron, NE to see The Museum of The Fur Trade is very much worth seeing too.

Anyway, flying is an option some people are using, and I've been asked which airport to use. I'm just passing on my preference and thoughts, after using those 3 various times.

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/04/21 03:54 PM

Gillette also has a decent airport, but still prolly two hours away. My wife flew in and out of there, back when I trapped up there. Usually a shuttle flight from Denver though.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/04/21 11:56 PM

Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/06/21 11:52 AM

Lee is right, there is an airport in Gillette. It is probably closer to 3 hours away.

I'm pleased to announce that Larid Johnson, who is a retired Wildlife Services Supervisor here in Wyoming, will have a table at Coyote Days, and be selling/signing his 3 books that he has wrote. One of the books, 'Yellow Dog Eight', is about his time working in the field, hunting coyotes with a Super Cub, and many other experiences he had in his many years working predator control . A GREAT book!

Larid was the supervisor that got so many of the government trappers that worked in the 80's and 90's (and later) started. A true legend in Wyoming WS.

I worked with Larid some when I first came back to Wyoming, as he was hired as a seasonal denner, and we hunted some dens together.
He's a real gentleman, and has some great stories. He was at Coyote Days for a short time last year, and I asked him if he'd like to set up a table and visit and offer his books, and he agreed.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/14/21 02:29 AM

Just a few updates about Coyote Days, which is approaching fast!

Another option for a motel is The Harrison House, located in Harrison, Nebraska, which is an quick 25 minute trip from the Fairgrounds in Lusk. Its a good Hwy., and very little traffic. It's a really nice drive early in the morning.

The number for them is (308) 665-5199

I also need to add (remind) that there are only about 11 electrical hookups on the fairgrounds, for campers, but UNLIMITED for parking, if you don't need power.

Things are coming together, and we've been buying a lot of quality items for the bucket raffle at the Saturday night banquet.

We've got 2 rifles for raffles, and like always, the tickets will be sold ONLY at Coyote Days, and they WILL be won by an attendee.

I'll be picking names out of the hat for demo times soon, with the exception being Bill Ilchick & Joel Blakeslee, both from Nevada. These guys give a world class 'cat trapping demo, and they like to use lots of props to really show in detail their sets. I'll have them do the last one on Saturday evening, so people can come up after their demo and talk about the sets and pick their brains a little, without having to hurry.

Summer, and long hot days is upon us in Wyoming. Denning coyotes has me keeping strange hours. Any calls or inquiries will be answered as quick as I can!

Remember- All tracks lead to Lusk, Wyoming on August 20-21...... If you are serious about Coyotes, Coyote Harvesting, Coyote trivia & knowledge, and learning from and visiting with like minded people, you need to be here!

Thanks, John
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/14/21 03:08 PM

John, are you coming to the national convention?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/14/21 07:57 PM

T-20 No, I haven't been to an NTA convention in years.

Too busy and tough to get away. Always chasing coyotes it seems.

But, the Rhubarb & Strawberry Crisp had me tempted!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/15/21 04:36 AM

Too early for sweet corn in July too lol
I live 35 miles from Spencer

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/19/21 10:08 AM

Well, I do miss bringing home sweet corn on the return trip after the NTA nationals every year, in August. I don't miss the bike traffic on the I-90 corridor, preceding and following Sturgis Bike Rally , which is all about the same time in early August.

Nothing against the bikers at all, but it does keep you on your toes, and there are a few that really take chances.

Sturgis is a big factor to consider when planning an event in this part of the world, and it effects the local economy more than most people realize. This year, with no pipeline activity or new drilling going on because of you know who, small towns need that bike traffic for business more than ever.

The dates I chose for Coyote Days (Aug. 20-21) were based on the fact that there is a week or more carryover of bike traffic and lack of motels because of it. (which is a good thing for the economy) In the case of Lusk, having 5 motels, We need EVERY room we can get!

And, small county Fairgrounds are in demand more than I previously realized. There are only so many weekends in the summer to pick from.

July is way too early, and there is a lot of small events using fairgrounds.

September is a huge bow hunting month for so many people, that I know it effects the attendance of some western conventions, for a fact.

The August bow season in Wyoming means a few of my friends can't attend, because they hunt and/or guide then. I just tell them to try to make the banquet at least! High School and college rodeos are going on too, and that eliminates a few more dates.

So, August it is, and it hopefully allow some kids to come, as not every school starts at the same time. My daughter goes back to college before Coyote Days, but she'll come home for the event this year she says.

With fair, a wedding or two, and other events, you have to make plans and decisions based on what the grounds and the local chamber think will be best. It's all part of planning a large event. And that means booking a year in advance, which is what we did.

So, to answer a few people that have commented that I purposely chose those dates to conflict with any other event, I just have to shake my head. The logistics and considerations of putting on a sizeable (and growing) event forces me to do whatever it takes to allow it to happen,.

And, Ive been asked to order nice, semi-cool weather for that week in August and I promised to do the best I could.

Enjoy your weekend

John
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/19/21 11:08 AM

yes john ,people just don't realize what it takes to put on a big show [convention] ,the planning never stop, done with one year start on next year

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 06/29/21 03:49 AM

I don't have much new to report other than I have a coyote or two in the freezer for the skinning demos, and will save 2 more as we get closer.

I have one or two really nice coyote skins still in the grease, and they"ll get used in a demo too.

MonsterToms is bringing me a set of 3 'cats size cage traps, and if anyone is interested, I suggest that you contact him soon, so he can get them done and bring them with him to save some shipping.

The weather has been a little cooler, and I hope it is the same during Coyote Days. The coyote pups are just starting to talk here. Fall is approaching fast!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/04/21 03:51 AM

Terrible news for me..... was talking with wife the other day about going to Coyote Days and she told me they had scheduled her mothers memorial service for that Saturday. She passed in December but because of the Covid stuff we just a small family service with plans to have another service later after Covid settled down. Was really looking forward to finally make and meet some of guys family things call.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/08/21 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear that Yes Sir. But, we do understand, family first of course.

I've got a few updates and an addition to make.

First, Major Boddicker WILL be attending Coyote Days this year again. Major and I visited on the phone a few days ago, and he said he's ready to just be a spectator this year, and enjoy the festivities. Major has given 100's of great demos over the years, and he's ready for a break! He's bringing some of his books and other things to sell, and will be available to visit with and learn from all weekend. We were super happy for him to confirm that he is willing to travel to Wyoming again this year! Major and I have been friends for over 38 years now, and I still consider the Crit. R. Call he designed to be one of the very BEST calls made. I use his Song Dog virtually every day, and just last week called in a pair with that call. To have Major here means a lot to us.

And, I visited with Randy Shuff, from Tendoy Idaho today, and I ordered some beaver tail items for the bucket raffle and auction for Saturday night's banquet.: A wallet, a checkbook cover, and a belt buckle, all made of tanned beaver tails. Randy can't make it to Coyote Days (maybe next year he says) but I know how sought after Randy's products are, and thought they'd be a welcome addition to things we've purchased for the event. I ran into and did business with Randy at several conventions over the years, and have bought some beaver tail items from him, and they are as good as the day I bought them, and maybe even better. I know they'll be well received at Coyote Days.

Last, the camping fees will all be collected by US, at the main building at south end of the fairgrounds. The fairgrounds office will leave a form printed to be filled out easily, and payment can be put in the provided envelope, and then delivered to check in desk for Coyote Days. In the past, there has been problems of campers looking for where to pay their fees, and office hours of the grounds not allowing it to happen. So, to simplify things, we will collect the fees, IN the envelopes, and we'll give them to the fairgrounds office on Monday after the event.

Other than that, everything is shaping up better every day.

On another note:

I've had a person or two comment that Canada Goose's announcement to halt using fur on their parkas will have a negative effect on the coyote market... All I can say is that there are a lot of markets for coyote in the 'trim' industry, Several of today's leading buyers and 'insider' crowd will be at Coyote Days, and I'll have a few give THEIR take on this years' market. The end of August will be fairly soon to the beginning of another season for a lot of people, and the market updates will be, as they say, hot off the press.

Thanks, and I hope wherever you are reading this is getting some rain and relief.

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/09/21 11:28 AM

Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/17/21 06:20 PM

Few pictures of some of the trappers that will be at C.D. this year.

Boone Liane

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joel Blakeslee and Bill Ilchik

[Linked Image]

Les Johnson

[Linked Image]

Roc Lee

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/18/21 11:39 AM

Thanks, Cattrax! Those guys are all on the demo list again this year, like the past few years. I know all of them well, and keep up with through the year. The knowledge that they've provided so far is just the tip of the iceberg, when it comes to their years of experience.

I know Les Johnson traveled to a lot of states while filming another season of TV's Predator Quest, and he sent my a lot of various pictures this winter. His calling demo is world class, unquestionably.

Boone Liane is working predator control in SD, and we keep up almost daily in the spring and summer, since we are in the same boat, with denning and dealing with coyotes doing damage. We talk about and compare various scenarios throughput the year. Boone's demo will be brought to you with dirt still on his tools and his traps, because his is out there, DOING IT.

Roc Lee is coming back, and I just visited with him the other day. Roc's demo is always well received too, and it should be. Roc usually has the biggest coyote fur catch in Montana, or one of the biggest. He starts in the winter and piles up coyotes in snares. I just scrolled through my phone and found a text he'd sent me that his pickup was so stuck in a snow drift that a tractor couldn't pull him out, and that he'd "go back with a snowmobile" The next night I got a pic of a days catch of 31 coyotes.......

Bill & Joel, well everyone knows about those two guys, and for them to travel all the way from Nevada to put on such a great, detailed 'cat demo is something that makes me very thankful. They are a ton of fun too.

These guys are part of 20 demos in 2 days, and if Cattrax or anyone else happens to post a few more pics in the future, I'd fill you in on the guys. ALL the demo people are very approachable and willing to share and compare throughout the weekend.

I've been gathering up a few things that we'll talk about during my demo too.

It's coming up quick! Hopefully the hot weather will leave by them. The county is still under a fire ban, so NO fires are permitted. On the plus side, there doesn't seem to be many moskitos.

Take care everyone, and enjoy your Sunday,

John
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/18/21 11:51 AM

John,

You've really spearheaded a wonderful weekend.
Wishing you fair weather, an overflow of great trappers, and camaraderie by the bucket full.
Be safe and say howdy to the family!

Blessings,
Mark and Donna

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/19/21 08:46 PM

Here's a few more of the guys that will be there again this year, not only good trappers, but guys that can show you good fur put up too.

Todd Fairchild

[Linked Image]

Vern Howey

[Linked Image]

Dan Hartman

[Linked Image]

Jim Arneson

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/19/21 09:41 PM

Cattrax, it doesn't sound like Odie isn't going to make it.

Looking forward to hanging out with the Grahams again in a month.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/19/21 10:16 PM

Steven I heard that too, sounds like he has something that is more important this year, going to miss him, but we'll have some fun without him. laugh

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/20/21 03:02 AM

He and Brandy will be missed.

I hear Joel has some tales to tell from his African expedition.

Maybe Brownie will show up.
Posted By: decoy

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/20/21 04:51 AM

Any new info on motels that have a room to rent.?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/20/21 10:19 AM

Decoy- I will look in to that today and report later tonight

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/20/21 11:13 AM

I just looked back up through the post and saw that Cattrax had posted more pictures!

Todd Fairchild (MonsterToms) has always done a GREAT fur handling demo with Otis, but Otis got asked to do a very cool and honorable thing for a friend that weekend, so he did the right thing and opted out of Coyote Days this year. Yes, he WILL be missed! Nut, the Pizza Place will survive another year until he can come back.

Todd will do his demo again, on fur handling. I'll try to get a coyote that doesn't stink so bad as a few in past years, but when it's 90-100 degrees, it's hard to keep track of everything. Frozen becomes non-frozen fairly fast.

Vern Howey WILL be coming back this year, and will be here for the round table discussion, which he was a very welcome part of last year, and he'll be giving his demo on Saturday. Vern will also be bringing some of his shooting sticks with him to sell. I first met Vern in 1985, when Vernon Dorn and I drove over to Rawlins, WY. to meet up with Bill Austin and Vern Howey. WE were all denning coyotes at the time. I've said it before, but I'd do just about anything to have a picture of us all that day! So, you can say that Vern Howey and I go 'Way Back'.

Dan Hartman will be driving down from Montana again, and we'll be glad to have him. Dan is a rancher and long line fur trapper in the SE part of the state. I call him a buckaroo Trapper, because of his reputation of riding and breaking horses. Dan is a close family friend too, and has been for years.

Jim Arneson and his son, JD Arneson will be driving down to Lusk from Miles City, Montana. They will give a calling and long range shooting presentation again. Jim and I stay in contact throughout the year, as we've been close friends for quite a long time. We've hunted deer together and snowmobiled to check traps together, and He's quite an accomplished all around outdoors man. I know their shooting talk will be sure to keep every one interested, I'm having them give some info comparing the .22 Creedmore to the 22-250 while they are here

These guys are all valued parts of Coyote Days, and I know will pass along a lot of great information. And, all are fun to visit with!

And, before I forget

Steven. We are looking forward to having you here!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/21/21 01:10 AM

Decoy-

Yes, there is motel rooms available. I only had time to check with one, The Covered Wagon Motel. It's literally 75 yards from the NE corner of the fairgrounds. (all the motels in Lusk are fairly close) Their number is : (307) 334- 2836

I know they are giving a bit of a discount if you mention Coyote Days.

Hope you can make it!

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/21/21 11:29 PM

One of my buddies from nearby Douglas, Wyoming, Jerimiah Hinckley, is going to being buying Antlers at Coyote Days. The horn market is hot, and he said that he is "Looking for trophy sets, but poundage is good too" Please bear in mind that antlers on skulls have to be sealed by G & F here in Wyoming. So, shed antlers are fine, but any on skull have to be legal. We don't want anyone to break any laws!

He is also looking for Newhouse and collector type stuff, and will be bringing some of his personal collection with him. He has some really nice items.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/22/21 02:24 PM

Coyote Days keeps on getting bigger and better every year ...please tell Vern Howey I said Hi...still using his sticks...great tool!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/22/21 11:45 PM

I will tell Vern Hi for you Mike, although I think it's about time that you venture out in person.

It's shaping up better and better every day. Lots of interest

Thanks for positive input!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/24/21 05:08 PM

Well it has been confirmed, Phil Brown will be giving a demo on Saturday, can't wait to visit with him.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/24/21 08:33 PM

That's good news and all the more reason for the tire kickers who are thinking about ti to show up. Might be the only demo Phil ever does west of the Mississippi

It hasn't been spoken about much on the interwebs but Phil Brown has come out with a trapping video, I'll be picking up my copy in Lusk.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 11:06 AM

Yep, I had a good visit with Phil yesterday, after playing phone tag for awhile, and he IS coming to Coyote Days!

He agreed to to a demo, which works out great, as our mutual friend Zagger can't make it this year, so Phil is filling the demo spot that I'd been saving.

Phil is best known for his huge fox catches in Pennsylvania, with many years over 1000. But, Phil is also a top notch coyote trapper, and has won the World Championship Coyote Contest at least a few times. I don't believe that Phil gives many demos, so to have him travel all the way to Wyoming is very big deal for us to share.

Phil will fit in just fine with the Coyote Days line up and crowd!

Since he's driving a longer way than most demo presenters, I'll have him do his on Saturday, to allow a little extra leeway on traveling.

I couldn't have put it any better than Steven did. This is like the icing on an already perfect cake.

Enjoy your Sunday

John
Posted By: bandy

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 12:16 PM

Phil has given a few demos at the VTA convention and he is a very basic trapper but the information you can glean from him is endless. I wish I could make it that is one destination on my list and having Phil there we'll that just make it that much more tempting to come.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 02:35 PM

Don't dawdle Travis, Just come on out! It's a fun get together!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by bandy
Phil has given a few demos at the VTA convention and he is a very basic trapper but the information you can glean from him is endless. I wish I could make it that is one destination on my list and having Phil there we'll that just make it that much more tempting to come.

Come on out, you'll enjoy it, and you'll never do it any younger! laugh

And Lee, it'll be nice to have you on the list for demos too, we'll have to visit more this year!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 03:56 PM

I couldn't have put it any better than Steven did. This is like the icing on an already perfect cake.

Enjoy your Sunday

John

Speaking of cake I can't say enough about the Saturday night banquet. Ribeye steaks cooked to perfection.

For all you tire kickers, yes it's a long drive but there is plenty to do and can be made into a great family vacation what with Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Needles High, the Black Hills with it's endless other things to see.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/25/21 04:00 PM

I wish running a farm gave me a little more leeway this time of year. Would love to see Vern again and meet many of all of you for a first time.

Have fun!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/27/21 12:02 AM

Yeah, I know it's a busy time of year, but hey, it's ALWAYS a busy time of year! (That's what I hear from some of my friends when I tell them that I can't get away from home much)

I do understand. The years fly by, and you kind of look back and ask yourself where did they all go?

I do know one thing for certain though.......IF I'd had Coyote Days to go to, 38 years ago, it would have gave me a 20 year jump on information available to me. There is simply NO other place to get this kind of information, and also meet the class of people that are giving the presentation/demos. Not just for fur trapping, but also for predator control methods. It's a real life 'Data Base' that is dispensed in 20 demos over a 2 day period. I know that the round table (actually a long hay trailer pulled in front of the grandstands) is the greatest assembly of coyote 'minds' ever put together at once. The questions come from the audience, and then the microphone is passed down the entire line..... Many of us are just coming in from the 'job'. You can learn a lot from just talking to people that live the lifestyle, trust me.

If you are a 'sponge' type person, prepare to be overloaded with great info.

And that's just the people giving the demos. There are a LOT of accomplished trappers in the crowd, and many I know, on a first name basis.

So many that possibly next year we'll make Coyote Days a 3 day event, who knows!

I appreciate all the kind words and praise from previous attendees! It's great to see everyone come and enjoy things every year.

And, to add to previous comments, there are a PILE of things to see in Nebraska, SD, and Wyoming. Fort Robinson , near Crawford Ne., is as cool a historical place to see as there is. That's 50 minutes east of Lusk. The Museum of the Fur Trade is in Chadron, NE. It's been mentioned before, but well worth mentioning again.

A few things before I forget: The NO fire ban is still in effect, so no open fires still

I ran into a friend of mine that owns a small campground, right in Lusk, that has full hook ups. It's the closest camp ground to the fairgrounds, literally a minute via vehicle and maybe 5 minute walk to the east side of the grounds. He still has some spots available. He's a great young guy, from a ranch family in the area. Lone Pine Campground (307) 216-0148...
With the electrical spots at the fairgrounds going fast, this might be a good alternative to people with campers, looking for a spot close by, as it's only a few blocks east.

As mentioned before, for CAMPING on the grounds, there will be forms to check a few things, and envelopes to put $ in, which will need to be brought in to Coyote Days sign up booth, at south end of grounds. State Fair is going on at the same time, in Douglas, WY., 50 miles away, and the girls from the office will be over there. So, we've all decided that we'd just accept the envelopes, and give them to them Monday. There ARE showers and bathrooms on the grounds, right by the camping. Tent camping and 'dry' camping for pull type campers is unlimited.

And, I hate to mention it, but we DO require the purchase of a wristband to be in attendance of Coyote Days. It's $10, for 18 and over, and it's good for the whole weekend. I've had a few (very few actually) people ask why we charge. The answer is simple: To HELP pay for everything that is going on. Nothing just happens, and everything costs money! Trust me, $10 is the deal of the century.

The sign up booth is just inside the door of the building at south end of grounds. You can buy wristbands for attendance, banquet tickets, raffle tickets, etc., right there. That building is also where the vendors are located, and also the concessions. We have breakfast there both Friday and Saturday mornings. The grill is always going from 10 a.m. until roughly 5 p.m. both days. The basics are on the menu: Burgers, Hot Dogs, some polish dogs are new this year. Also Sloppy Joes I think are in the plans, and possibly pulled pork sandwiches as usual. AND, this year, the girls in concessions will be selling ice cream too, as the hot weather calls for that, so we've added that on too.

The Saturday Night banquet menu is simple too. This is BEEF country, and that's what we serve. We cut up 20 Ribeye steak loins the night before, and my crew cooks up to 300 steaks in record time, on 2 huge grills. There will be 4 or 5 guest speakers, and also the raffles, presentations and thank yous, as well as a quick live auction. Oh, and the fur fashion show, one of my personal favorites, as it really spotlights the variety of and beauty of fur! And, I'd like to invite anyone that has a fur item (either man or woman, but that's the only 2 categories allowed) that they'd like to wear in the fashion show, BRING IT! We'll put you on the list, and you can be part of the event.

We've got a few really cool things being done in that department, and our good friend Michael Pappas from L.A. will be fashioning up a few things for us too. The Fur Fashion Show is a always a hit !

It's coming up fast!

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 07/27/21 01:16 AM

I’m counting the days. I hope I have time to visit the Museum of the Fur Trade. Thanks John for putting on such a great event.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/03/21 11:58 PM

COYOTE DAYS 2021 August 20-21 Niobrara Co. Fairgrounds, Lusk, WY

Schedule of events

FRIDAY - AUG. 20th
7 a.m. Breakfast (Biscuits & Gravy)
7:45 a.m. Singing of National Anthem
7:55 a.m. Brief Introduction

DEMO Schedule for Friday
8 a.m. Les Johnson - NE. Host of Predator Quest TV show and world champion coyote caller
9 a.m. Dick Hane- CO. Predator trapping
10 a.m. Lee Steinmeyer KS Predator trapping
11 a.m. Todd Fairchild CO Expert coyote fur handling from A-Z (this is done with a carcass coyote all the way to finished pelt)
12 a.m. Dan Hartman MT Long Line trapping for Coyotes & Cats
1 p.m. Evan Anderson SD Coyote Trapping and Snaring
2 p.m. Roc Lee MT Coyote snaring (Roc usually has the largest fur catch in Montana every winter)
3 p.m. Jim Arneson & J.D. Arneson MT Father & Son team of coyote callers and long range shooting experts
4 p.m. Scott Huber SD ADC methods for coyotes- Fence snaring, M-44's
5 p.m. Justin Lemke MT Coyote fur handling
6 p.m. Dale Greenough, Scott Huber, Chris McAllister, John Graham--- Predator Control facts & trivia
8 p.m. ROUNDTABLE discussion in main arena (combination of any or all of the demo presenters, this is history making)

SATURDAY- AUG 21
7 a.m. Breakfast (Biscuits & Gravy)
8 a.m. John Graham & Dale Greenough WY Predator control trapping & snaring (County trappers in WY)
9 a.m. Brad Troftgruben WY Predator control methods, M-44's, and trapping (Brad is a Wyoming Government trapper)
10 a.m. Boone Liane SD Coyote trapping tricks and ADC methods (Boone is a SD State trapper)
11 a.m. Vern Howey WY Coyote calling methods and Coyote Trivia (Vern is a WY Government trapper)
12 a.m. Colt Violet WY Coyote fur handling, from field to the buyer
1 p.m. Nick Smith WY Coyote trapping methods (Nick is a County trapper in WY)
2 p.m. Chris McAllister SD Predator Control methods and strategies (Chris is SD state trapper)
3 p.m. Mike Liane ND Coyote fur handling methods, from green pelt to finished product)
4 p.m. Phil Brown PA World record holder fox trapper and winner of Coyote Trapping contests
5p.m. Bill Ilchik & Joel Blakeslee NV World class bobcat trapping methods from 2 legends

7 P.M. BANQUET (Happy Hour) (Tickets on sale at main desk all weekend)
7:30 Speakers start
Ribeye Steak dinner
Recognition and Thank Yous
Fur Fashion Show
Raffle Drawing
Auction

As you can see, this is NONSTOP Coyote themed knowledge, visiting, and exchange of information!

$10 cover charge for the weekend (wristband will be provided to show fee has been paid)

This is going to be a history making event! If you are interested in Coyotes or Bobcat harvesting and want to soak up some info from some of the BEST in business, All tracks lead to Lusk, WY on August 20-21

Thanks, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/04/21 08:10 PM

Few more photos of guys that will be there this year.

Chris McAllister

[Linked Image]

Scott Huber

[Linked Image]

Justin Lemke

[Linked Image]

Jim and J.D. Arneson

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And some things John will have to remember 2021 Coyote Days.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/04/21 10:48 PM

One main point of Coyote Days, most all of the demo folks are there for the weekend. The vendor building is the gathering spot for the event, if you don't make a demo or have questions just track us down and ask. We are there to help and spread knowledge that has been gathered over a life time. I get phone calls all year from guys needing a refresher of something I talked about. That's what makes Coyote Days great! Two weeks then hang on!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/04/21 11:32 PM

I hope I can make it. I agreed to stay on a job till it was done. Then lightning hit a portable concrete plant and shut everything down for a bit. I dont know if we will finish in time.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/05/21 12:58 AM

Silage harvest is going to be real spread out. Maybe a chance I can make it. Hopefully things will work out

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/05/21 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I hope I can make it. I agreed to stay on a job till it was done. Then lightning hit a portable concrete plant and shut everything down for a bit. I dont know if we will finish in time.

Hope you make it Danny, be good to visit with you this year.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/05/21 02:16 AM

Sounds like a neat gathering, anybody from ND want to car pool to Lusk?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/05/21 02:48 AM

I am SO looking forward to that weekend!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/07/21 02:44 AM

Monster Toms is right, everyone is VERY approachable, and will visit and help anyone. And, lets face it, the average Coyote Days attendee is usually an experienced trapper too, so there is endless opportunities to compare notes. I have some young nephews that have got into trapping since I left Jordan 10 years ago that are venturing down from Montana, and I know they will be overloaded with info that weekend!

I hope it works out for you Ag related guys to come, but I do understand that you have to make hay while the sun shines.

The rains are clearing the smoke out, and the temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler than last year, lets hope it holds.

We're getting messages and inquires from new attendees every day, and some people are organizing small groups to come.

The fur fashion show will include some things that will be a first time presentation, and I'm glad to say that I know the right 'people', and I'll leave it at that.

I know we always say it, but I have to mention that IF you plan to attend the Saturday Night Banquet, buy your ticket(s) when you get here! We have 20 Rib eye loins ordered, and that's about 300 steaks, so we should have plenty, but just to be sure, I urge you to get it taken care of when you check in at the front sign in desk to get your wristband for the weekend. (Wristband for gate admittance $10, and banquet ticket is $25)

Again, there's camping close by in town and just a short distance west, and on the fairgrounds.

We'll have porta-pottys close by, and there's showers on the grounds too.

And still, NO fires, it's a county ordinance.

An ATM will be in the building too.

Doors open at 7 a.m. on Friday, a bit earlier if you are just a coffee drinker and want to visit.

National anthem at 7:45, And I request EVERYONE to attend that.

At the request of my buddy John, yes, there will be hot dogs on the grill too.

3 raffles, with ALL the tickets sold being at Coyote Days, so an attendee will win them.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but you get the gist of things

Take Care, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/08/21 10:19 PM

For all you fence sitters, Coyote Days is 12 days out.
Posted By: TEAMPREDATOR406

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/09/21 09:06 AM

Looking forward to this 3rd year. This is an amazing event that you don't want to miss. The knowledge there is amazing and a learner's paradise. The trappers, callers and cable runners are some of the best.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/09/21 09:16 AM

Lee can you bring me a couple extra cables?
James

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/11/21 09:33 AM

It's only a little over a week away now. I have a few friends from Michigan rolling in next Wed,. and then Thursday, the flood gates open, and a LOT of people will be arriving, to be here bright and early Friday.

One thing I thought of yesterday while I was driving both highway and county roads in the early morning, was that the deer and antelope are
"back on the roads" I call it.

I know a lot of you folks traveling to Lusk are from surrounding areas that have a lot of game too, and are used to them being on the roads, but I also know some people aren't. After dark is the worst, but evening and morning can be bad too. We have a LOT of game here.

Deer are semi-predictable, but you should still slow down, and watch for multiples.

Antelope? They are crazy in the headlights, and can be very unpredictable! An antelope between the fences along a highway is trouble. Right now, there are small bunches everywhere, does with fawns, bucks, everything is mixed.

The cooler mornings have everything feeling it's oats, and they are really active. I had a doe and a nice buck chase a coyote off when it was coming in slowly to the call yesterday.

So what I'm saying is: Drive careful and pay attention. There is a really good chance that you will see and encounter more deer and antelope within 30 miles of Lusk than you saw on your entire trip here. I see it myself, and I hear that all the time.

And, keep one eye on the road of course, but pay attention to the percentage of fawns to does. (Not the other way around)

Predator control plays a major part in that, it doesn't happen by accident.

Log that away for next week, I'm off to dodge them myself right now.

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/11/21 05:14 PM

Ttt

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/11/21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMPREDATOR406
Lee can you bring me a couple extra cables?
James

Yessir, I will have replacement cables with me!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/12/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Ttt

This thread should be pinned

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/12/21 02:46 AM

I used to deliver lick tubs to ranches around Lusk and can atteste to the early morning activities of the local wildlife. Several times ranchers had to chase the deer away from the sheds as we unloaded my truck, they are not afraid of vehicles. Sunrises where always something I enjoyed in that part of the country, even better if you had critters out and about.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/13/21 12:35 PM

See everyone in Lusk Wyoming next Thursday, it is going to be amazing, don't miss it.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/13/21 12:49 PM

Heading west on Wednesday. Will be in Lusk Thursday afternoon. I hope my notebook is big enough.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/14/21 05:22 PM

6 days to go and counting.

Long-term forecast according to the Weather Channels has it at a high of 73 on Friday low of 48, about the same on Saturday. East Central WY, no humidity, better bring a long sleeve shirt.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/14/21 06:57 PM

Anybody at Fort Robinson right now that is heading to Coyote Days?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/15/21 03:45 AM

Time is getting short, can't wait to see everyone again, should be fun, going to miss some of the regulars this year.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/15/21 03:51 AM

Yup, they will be missed. I do hear tell that Joel should have some good Africa tales to regale us with.
Posted By: possum63

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/15/21 04:12 AM

It will be my first trip out there. Looking forward to it!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/15/21 11:20 AM

Safe travel everyone, and I know I've mentioned it somewhere before, but if you don't want to sit on the aluminum bleachers to watch the demos, bring your own CHAIR!

See everyone soon, looks like a LOT of people are coming.

John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/18/21 04:37 PM

Up for the afternoon crew, I"m packing my truck and getting ready to roll.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/18/21 09:01 PM

I'm loaded and kinda chilling right now. Waiting on my rider, first thing in the morning. Then we're out of here like a shot.. See ya soon, John and Steve!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/18/21 09:55 PM

Don't forget my deathray. While your at it bring along one of them pelters I keep hearing so much about.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/18/21 10:25 PM

Don't buy into that, Steve. The runt that started that will be there, you can take it up with him! grin

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/19/21 12:43 AM

Loading in the morning and heading your way John. I am looking forward to another amazing year of visiting with some wonderful friends and new people. Safe travels everyone

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/19/21 12:43 AM

Loading in the morning and heading your way John. I am looking forward to another amazing year of visiting with some wonderful friends and new people. Safe travels everyone

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/19/21 01:33 AM

Loaded up and ready to head out tomorrow morning..

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/19/21 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by trapperjdb
Loaded up and ready to head out tomorrow morning..

Same here!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 12:38 PM

Back home now, had a great time at Coyote Days. It is truly one of a kind. Thank you John, his family and everyone who helped to put it all together. If you ever in the area, you must stop and visit the Museum of The Fur Trade in Chadron Nebraska. It has one of the largest antique gun collection I have ever seen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 01:50 PM

I agree. Also the museum in Cody WY has a huge antique gun collection and is worth checking out too.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 04:27 PM

Great time and learned a lot. Met some very good people. John tried his best Sunday morning to find a tire for my camper. Thanks again John. I can’t use everything the trappers in the west can, but will use the different ways that we’re shown using traps. This will be my 6 season trapping coyotes. Yea I started late. See what happens by next year if I make it out again.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Stake
Great time and learned a lot. Met some very good people. John tried his best Sunday morning to find a tire for my camper. Thanks again John. I can’t use everything the trappers in the west can, but will use the different ways that we’re shown using traps. This will be my 6 season trapping coyotes. Yea I started late. See what happens by next year if I make it out again.

Dang I wish would have known you needed a tire, I'm sure I could have come up with something for you.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 07:35 PM

Another amazing turnout. Grahams hit another one out of the park, proud to be a part of it. Can't wait for the pictures.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Another amazing turnout. Grahams hit another one out of the park, proud to be a part of it. Can't wait for the pictures.

MT its always good to see you, and THANK YOU for all you do, I can't wait to see how that scholarship turns out for Coyote Days, YOU really got it started off for the first year!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 10:02 PM

Was that this weekend?

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
Was that this weekend?

Yes.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 11:32 PM

Great time was had by all. I really enjoyed it, see yall next time!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/23/21 11:37 PM

A big thank you to the Graham family for putting this on. As usual, it was a great show.

See ya next year John.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/24/21 01:03 AM

Was another great year this year, didn't get as many pictures as I have in the past, the first day demo's were done inside because the wind and the rain we had, so lighting for the pictures was very difficult, but got a few. Thanks to the whole Graham family, John and Nicole has 4 great young adults, they are a huge help and never get enough credit for what they do at Coyote Days, so to them I say Thank You!!!!

Monster Tom had a great fur demo, I'm sure several people learned something from it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joel Blakeslee and Bill Ilchick had great bobcat info for everyone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Phil Brown was great, so glad he was able to make it, not to many get to see this guy give a demo, it was well worth it.

[Linked Image]

Here is Phil with the host of Coyote days John Graham.

[Linked Image]

I will add more when I get some time, I did fly the drone a little, if I can figure out a good way to add that to here I will.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/24/21 01:16 AM

Amazing convention, with 20 demos in 2 days. Awesome people, the entire Graham family and friends put this on. Learned a lot and seen some old friends.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/25/21 03:28 AM

I encouraged a friend to go and texted him tonight. He said it was fantastic!! The demos were great. He especially liked the horizontal coyote skinning one. I’d like some more info. Glad it went well and hope everyone had a safe trip home

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/25/21 10:59 PM

Thanks, to EVERYONE that attended!

And, I want to thank ALL the demo people, that unselfishly gave out so much GREAT, time honored info, based on a lifetime of experience.

I know for a fact that a lot of this info cannot be found anywhere other than Coyote Days! If you are serious about upping your coyote (and 'cat) knowledge, Coyote Days is THE place to be, every year.

I'd like to personally thank MonsterToms for buying some big ticket items in the auction.

You have given the Coyote Days Scholarship fund a good kick start!

On that note, our scholarship committee will start taking applications soon, probably in late fall. We will be looking for a deserving person or two that intends to pursue a career in predator control, at the county, state, or federal level.

I will also give the recipient(s) a free slot at our upcoming 'Coyote Camp', which will be a hands on predator control workshop, in the field

Our goal is to produce qualified and field experienced people in to the predator control field.

Coyote Days is rolling along fast, and we've already booked the Niobrara Co. Fairgrounds in Lusk for August 19-20 2022

Stay tuned throughout the year to see what we've got planned for next year!

Thanks again to all, John

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/25/21 11:57 PM

Awesome to hear this will happen again. Pleasure is mine, that otter print will hang proudly for a long time for all to see. 51 weeks will go fast. See you all next year!!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 01:48 AM

It takes me about 51 weeks to rest up.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 02:24 AM

Steven, You need to catch somemore wallys, then you can rest up! lol grin I'll find you next year, I ain't always bashful. lol

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 02:41 AM

Lee, i'll stop by sometime this winter, sounds like I'm going to be a grandpa again.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 02:43 AM

Congrats Steven.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 11:31 AM

Congrats on the shindig John. I hear it was first rate as always.
Everything John does is top shelf.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Lee, i'll stop by sometime this winter, sounds like I'm going to be a grandpa again.

Cool, Steven, always good to see you! I might be working this winter, but who knows. I get a little flighty that time of year! lol
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 10:35 PM

Thanks, to EVERYONE that attended! ...

Coyote Days is rolling along fast, and we've already booked the Niobrara Co. Fairgrounds in Lusk for August 19-20 2022

Stay tuned throughout the year to see what we've got planned for next year!

Thanks again to all, John

Reservations are already made for next year!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/26/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Steven, You need to catch somemore wallys, then you can rest up! lol grin I'll find you next year, I ain't always bashful. lol

I'm already stocking up Lee, and you better be there next year, no excuses, we will take care of you and make sure you can have some fish!

[Linked Image]

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/27/21 01:37 AM

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. Eat wrong, causes a bad day or two, so I tend to be careful! Good lookin feesh!

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/27/21 01:54 AM

Thank you Boco.

No doubt about lee we can make you something you can stomach. I can bake or grill a mean piece of fish as well, little lemon pepper, little butter, and some sliced lemons. yum yum.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/27/21 06:26 PM

Some more of the great people John put together.

Lee Steinmeyer

[Linked Image]

Les Johnson

[Linked Image]

Dan Hartman

[Linked Image]

Evan Anderson

[Linked Image]

John and Dale Greenough

[Linked Image]

Scott Huber

[Linked Image]

Vern Howey

[Linked Image]

Still more to come.

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/27/21 07:24 PM

Thank you for the pics

Re: Coyote Days 2021 - 08/29/21 12:29 PM

Thanks for posting more great pictures, Tom!

I have so many great memories and images in my mind from those 3 or 4 days. So many great, quality people show up in one place. It's hard to take it all in, I know.

I even got to eat my fill of walleye, thanks to Steven and Tom!

We wrote down a list of small things to change around a bit for next year, and I'm already working on the demo list.

Nicole has already decided to keep 2 of the coyote trimmed coats that Michael Pappas did for me to display in the fashion show, which is fitting I guess, as she might have caught one of them.

Fall is in the air a bit, and before long the prairie will be full of fur chasers. I hope Coyote Days 2021 gave some of you a kick start.

The world is a crazy place, especially right now. Stay vigilant.

Have a great Sunday, John
© 2024 Trapperman Forums