Home

What best do with rust under vechile

Posted By: coonman220

What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 07:31 PM

Last fall I posted about this an spent part 2 weekends in oct under pickup on cardboard on my back with flashlite an paintbrush an $10 cans fluid film with spray an paint brush on fluid film on rust on frame, suspension, under body, especally up under spare donut tire, supposed last a year but looks like could use again,I only really saturated up above spare tire, if bought a sprayer for $20 , that u pump up an a gallon fluid film, an spay everthing exept exhaust which try an cover, would that be best or would atm trans fluid in sprayer, be better ? With a sprayer it be better on hoist but can't do that
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 07:45 PM

getting it down to bare metal first is best, with any type of sander
I'd use a belt sander on flat places if accessible
A grinder with flex wheel would also work or just a grinder
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 07:50 PM

Forget getting it down to bare metal... Wire brush the loose rust off, and apply burnt cylinder oil with a paint brush....Nothing cheaper or better, IMO.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 07:58 PM

Most vehicles these days are galvanized metal and don't rust out.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:08 PM

None of that Is going to happen. Coonman 220 Is just fishing.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:08 PM

Black oil(used motor oil) right over the rust,slap it on with a brush on a stick or a sprayer.
Best thing for rust prevention/remediation.
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:09 PM

This has to do with the exhaust system.
My 1999 Silverado I painted the whole exhaust system with a "Hi Heat Aluminum Paint"
The paint was made by a local company for GM to paint Die Cast Machines. It was somewhat
quite liquid but full of aluminum flakes or powder. They showed it to me one time and it was like
grease almost before mixing. Aluminum powder is explosive.

The Good part -- I drove that truck 21 years and the exhaust was still in great shape when I sold it.
Something to think about treating in your vehicle.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Last fall I posted about this an spent part 2 weekends in oct under pickup on cardboard on my back with flashlite an paintbrush an $10 cans fluid film with spray an paint brush on fluid film on rust on frame, suspension, under body, especally up under spare donut tire, supposed last a year but looks like could use again,I only really saturated up above spare tire, if bought a sprayer for $20 , that u pump up an a gallon fluid film, an spay everthing exept exhaust which try an cover, would that be best or would atm trans fluid in sprayer, be better ? With a sprayer it be better on hoist but can't do that

I’m a huge believer in fluid film.I bought an airless paint sprayer at harbor freight.Work great but there’s area’s where you just can’t access.Something that shoots a small stream of drain oil is in the works for me but that fluid film smells great-kinda like a dead skunk on a cool fall morning-(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) I love that smell!
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:24 PM

buy new truck every year no rust issue then fer you
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:31 PM

Multiple engine oil and tranny leaks work good
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:34 PM

Drive to another spot where there is no rust under vehicle.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:34 PM

Krown makes a good rust product. 25 canadian agallon

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Drive to another spot where there is no rust under vehicle.

Lol
Posted By: midlander

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner

Never seen one of them non-rusting vehicles in Michigan. They must not sell them here....

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:43 PM

No way u gonna get under vechile an get frame an everthing else bare metal , when do they rust most ? Summer or winter ? Have to order a gallon somewhere as all got in stores are $10 cans, but then shipping, to apply it, $20 bucks more on sprayer , thinking about it, oil is messy, an really go be mess, for long while,anyone know if fluid fm actually last aslong as claim ? U can't see it, but spray an apply withpaint brush, maybe not enough
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:48 PM

Just leave it. You'll never ever get rid of it or even slow it down once it starts.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 08:53 PM

Dave I just bought a new vehicle (Toyota Tacoma) a year ago. Knowing trouble spots on frames and bodies is helpful. I sprayed Fluid Film on the frame and body panels and it really helped. BUT I still had some orange colored bolts and screw heads this spring!!
The only real solution is move out of the "Rust Belt"!!!!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Black oil(used motor oil) right over the rust,slap it on with a brush on a stick or a sprayer.

Do this ^^^. Get a cheap sandblasting gun at Harbor Freight, stick the hose in a bucket of old oil, hook up air hose, and go to town. Used oil really sticks on rusty metal, it will soak in to the good metal.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:14 PM

Hoist the radiator cap and drive a new car under it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:15 PM

I just pour big puddles of used motor vechile oil on the highway and drive back and forth acrosst it at a high rate of speed until the beneath of my vechile is thoroughly polysaturated with oil. Don't even have to get my back dirty. Baddabing baddaboom.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:31 PM

No way u gonna get under vechile an get frame an everthing else bare metal , when do they rust most ? Summer or winter ? Have to order a gallon somewhere as all got in stores are $10 cans, but then shipping, to apply it, $20 bucks more on sprayer , thinking about it, oil is messy, an really go be mess, for long while,anyone know if fluid fm actually last aslong as claim ? U can't see it, but spray an apply withpaint brush, maybe not enough

Hotter temperatures speed up the oxidation of iron, so vehicles tend to rust quicker in the Summer. Salt put out during the Winter can speed up rust too though.

Keith
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:33 PM

I tried Fluid Film, it has worked well so far.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:40 PM

I was thinking rust bad in summer, I never had undercoat when bought new in 2010, I thinking fluid film last longer, u got the cost compared to used oil but talk about a mess with old oil, I think it would slow down the rust, , don't any oil pentrate the rust an go in metal aways ? How far ? As far as far as is deep ? Where do they make steel at in US? Or steel Mills or actually make steel ? I heard where I at, comes from around st Louis
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:41 PM

Sounds like it would be good to use on traps.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

Do this ^^^. Get a cheap sandblasting gun at Harbor Freight, stick the hose in a bucket of old oil, hook up air hose, and go to town. Used oil really sticks on rusty metal, it will soak in to the good metal.

Are you saying you did this or suggesting someone should try it?Either way I’m in.
Posted By: River Birch

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/14/21 10:47 PM

Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 12:53 AM

Here is a huge post, that will help people no have to repost the same stuff that dave been told...

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6984161/undercoat-pickup#Post6984161
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 01:03 AM

Screw the radiator cap off and drive a Chevy in under it
Posted By: rex123

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 01:14 AM

With all the trouble you have had with that truck why do you want to save it from rust? From what you have said sounds like it would be a mercy killing. Loosegoose , that's what my dodge would look like if I sprayed it with rust remover.lol

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
Screw the radiator cap off and drive a Chevy in under it

It's already got a Chevy under the radiator cap. That's the main thing wrong with it!
Posted By: possum63

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 03:54 AM

Wow.....
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 02:50 PM

Fluid film or grease, what I use
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 05:31 PM

The exhaust manifolds, plugged catalytic converter/ muffler trauma isn't even dead and buried yet and now the undercoating dilemma is being revived...again. crazy
Posted By: walleyed

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 05:48 PM

The best thing to do about rust under a vechile is:

DON'T LOOK UNDER THERE !!! laugh

w
Posted By: lobo

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 11:11 PM

Go to your nearest John Deere dealer. They sell it in gallon cans.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/15/21 11:14 PM

Your vehicle wont rust if you maintain it.Even in the saltiest of conditions like here.
Wash and wax every couple of weeks in the bad seasons and an undercoat every couple years.
Posted By: Savell

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 12:48 AM

... you’re getting a lot of bad advice in here as usual Coonman... what you want to do is find a fresh mexican... tell him you’ll pay him a 100$ to get under that vechile and coat the undercarriage with burnt motor oil... then when he comes to collect... jerk his britches down , bend him over your good knee, and drum out a tejano song baseline on his bare butt then send him back down across the border
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by ILcooner

........LMAO ....^^^^^
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 02:11 AM

20 gallons of diesel and road flare

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 02:11 AM

Savell.....I hope some of them Mexicans make up this way.....I could use some help like that. When he’s done ...I’ll give him a ride to Maine.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 02:32 AM

Keep spraying that fluid film....at least once a year

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Savell.....I hope some of them Mexicans make up this way.....I could use some help like that. When he’s done ...I’ll give him a ride to Maine.

They don't work for free no mas

Too Americanized

You see what them pendejos are charging us for a burrito these days .... grin
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 03:12 AM

Drive your rig to the nasties' darkest muddiest swap you know. Pull you vehicle in there up to the bottom of truck. let it set there for maybe two weeks and drive it home. You should be good to go. Very cost effective process.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 04:23 AM

Anyone know if fluid film well even spray Thru offrice on hand pump system for air pressure, I don't think squirt bottle well Cut it, to thick, oil won't
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 10:41 AM

You need a air compressor to apply the fluid film

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 06:52 PM

I have been painting cars a d doing restorations for 30+ years and have never heard of so many ideas in my life. Lol. This is crazy.... First off if the bottom, or top, or sides, or anywhere is already rusted it's to late to stop it. You want to slow it down?? Then start cutting it out and replace it. "Coat it with oil"???? If that worked I'd have been out if a job years ago. Lol. LLL's picture is the best advice so far. When you start covering rust with undercoat, Berliner, oil or anything you just force the rust to fester and get worse. Good luck Dave, hope it all works out for you
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by possum63
I have been painting cars a d doing restorations for 30+ years and have never heard of so many ideas in my life. Lol. This is crazy.... First off if the bottom, or top, or sides, or anywhere is already rusted it's to late to stop it. You want to slow it down?? Then start cutting it out and replace it. "Coat it with oil"???? If that worked I'd have been out if a job years ago. Lol. LLL's picture is the best advice so far. When you start covering rust with undercoat, Berliner, oil or anything you just force the rust to fester and get worse. Good luck Dave, hope it all works out for you

Possum I sprayed Fuid Film (Lanolin) on new metal-NO RUST. Problem with Ziebart and the such, moisture gets in between the undercoat and metal. When it rusts it's too late! (From experience).

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ratbrain

Possum I sprayed Fuid Film (Lanolin) on new metal-NO RUST. Problem with Ziebart and the such, moisture gets in between the undercoat and metal. When it rusts it's too late! (From experience).

Like I said......"if it's already rusted it's to late"

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 07:17 PM

ya I at shop right now for something completly different , park brake mechism, I ask mechanic an say ask body shop an say oil might be bad idea, so to late to do anything ?

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 07:23 PM

ya I at shop right now for something completly different , park brake mechism, I ask mechanic an say ask body shop an say oil might be bad idea, so to late to do anything ?

If it's already rusted it's to late. Why would anyone want to coat the bottom of a vehicle with oil??? Can you imagine all the dust from gravel roads stuck to the oil??

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 07:34 PM

After you slather on the black oil you drive down a dusty road.
That makes it a lot better,it makes it thick like tar and it sticks a lot better and lasts a lot longer.
Black oil percolates over time into everything,making old rusted nuts and bolts like new again.
A lot of black oil is used on the railroads to facilitate maintenance on bolted infrastructure.
Once or twice a year everything gets coated,switch bolts goosenecks and riser plates get slathered every two weeks.
Black oil is the bomb for rust prevention and remediation.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 07:46 PM

Didn't say at shop but sound like oil may make it worse or do nothing to rusted metal , say he didn't know, an ask body shop , paint ? I don't think paint last long either, soak into rust , ya, undercoating maybe bad on rust , fluid film maybe a protective or preventive ? On auto, u can use other stuff beside automotive

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 08:22 PM

Just see mechism an lucky here, new cables on few years ago but fray mechism cable, lucky in shop, could been stranded with park brake set an not release an tow truck would had take rear wheels off an I been trouble , with manual trans u got have park brake ,no brake till engine start

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 11:31 PM

So pay bill an cop walk in I guess was an cut up front me, had his Glock on belt, off duty, plain clothes an badge belt, younger person, jeez, cut front me an had thumbs in pocket, so face me an watch, don't wanna make any false mi es around some gun happy cops, look see news, watch vid yesteday of Chicago col shoot 13 yr old kid that had no gun an put hands up air as chase down alley , don't go go that far get shot by cop
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 11:37 PM

And what does that story have to do with your ongoing truck drama

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/16/21 11:52 PM

Nothing , it happen when shop, not sure why everyone say u can oil rust metal an make rust process slow, I don't understand rust, on traps u slow it down ? Keep from get worse?

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 12:23 AM

Possus63.....does it snow where you live ? Do you have icy roads in the winter ? Do the towns ,plowing the roads,use something to combat the road ice ? It’s snows up here...and we have icy roads....and the towns and state trucks spray a brine on the roads before a storm...then a mixture of sand and salt is put down on the roads. If you don’t oil your vehicle up here...it will be toast in 7-10 years. We’re talking brake lines..tranny lines..and body panels. I’ve been in the Autobody business since 1976..and still doing it.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 12:36 AM

Its much easier to apply oil to your frame if you roll the vechile on its roof.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 12:40 AM

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Ashton Kutcher or his buddy Dax Shepard and the TV show they once had, but, I think Coonman may be the Trapperman version of Dax. I am still trying to figure out who the Ashton Kutcher of Trapperman is. It may be Savell! He does provide great(interesting) advice.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 12:48 AM

Can we all just pitch in and buy dude a new truck?
Posted By: canine933

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 12:51 AM

So pay bill an cop walk in I guess was an cut up front me, had his Glock on belt, off duty, plain clothes an badge belt, younger person, jeez, cut front me an had thumbs in pocket, so face me an watch, don't wanna make any false mi es around some gun happy cops, look see news, watch vid yesteday of Chicago col shoot 13 yr old kid that had no gun an put hands up air as chase down alley , don't go go that far get shot by cop

Poor me I make no money and have rust under my vehicle. Cops try to kill me while in line.... LOOK A SQUIRREL!!! They make medication for the symptoms you have. You also need to do a little more research on the Chicago shooting before spouting off villainizing the cop.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 01:11 AM

Possus63.....does it snow where you live ? Do you have icy roads in the winter ? Do the towns ,plowing the roads,use something to combat the road ice ? It’s snows up here...and we have icy roads....and the towns and state trucks spray a brine on the roads before a storm...then a mixture of sand and salt is put down on the roads. If you don’t oil your vehicle up here...it will be toast in 7-10 years. We’re talking brake lines..tranny lines..and body panels. I’ve been in the Autobody business since 1976..and still doing it.

North central Iowa. Yep, snow, frost, salt, brine, everything under the sun. They apply brine to our bridges and overpasses if the weather man says there is a 10% chance it may frost. I've never oiled, z-barted, or undercoated. Yes I have rust issues. I've also never owned a new vehicle. So in my case as with Dave and many others.....oiling isn't going to help when the rust is already started. I may not have the years of auto body you have since I was 4 in 1976, but we both know there is only one true way of stopping or slowing rust.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 01:43 AM

North central Iowa. Yep, snow, frost, salt, brine, everything under the sun. They apply brine to our bridges and overpasses if the weather man says there is a 10% chance it may frost. I've never oiled, z-barted, or undercoated. Yes I have rust issues. I've also never owned a new vehicle. So in my case as with Dave and many others.....oiling isn't going to help when the rust is already started. I may not have the years of auto body you have since I was 4 in 1976, but we both know there is only one true way of stopping or slowing rust.

[Linked Image]

2011 Dodge pick up....and this pic is 2-3 years old too...lol

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 01:59 AM

Yep, and I've replaced plenty of rusty rockers, cab corners, and box side in 2014-16 Chevy pickups that make that dodge look rust free! Lol. Replaced all 4 spring mounts in my ranger this year and have new rear shock mounts on the bench.....only 3 shocks attached right now.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 04:01 PM

Not really want get body shop adjeted at me in phone as if ask a question about what good if anything to put on rusted frames, there gonna say bring in an look an I not do that as very expensive an do myself , what is best? Or nothing ? I don't like way looks when look underneath or even what can see when approach by walk up can see some under , well undercoat make it rust faster under the coating ? Paint would be absorb in rust fast an u could spray 20 cans like nothing in area ? But cans spray paint ? Not good breathe when lay on back under truck either

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 04:03 PM

Slather it up with black oil once a year.(Used motor oil).
Posted By: hippie

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 04:07 PM

He's been told that so many times, he's either box of rocks dumb or so lazy he stinks.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

He's been told that so many times, he's either box of rocks dumb or so lazy he stinks.

What ? There say at shop that oil is not good idea on rust
Posted By: K52

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 04:58 PM

Best thing you could do with that truck is to quit looking under there and drive it and quit worrying about it.
Posted By: hippie

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 05:09 PM

What ? There say at shop that oil is not good idea on rust

If you have a gun that's rusting, do you oil it, or do you allow it to keep on rusting? Once in awhile you have to think for yourself Coonman and just do things instead of procrastinating about it.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 05:14 PM

Local guys product is best I've seen
It went Nationwide.
The name is Fennelize.
It's in our Napa stores, BUT,
younz wont like it, I guarantee.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 05:20 PM

What ? There say at shop that oil is not good idea on rust [/quote]

The shop is trying to get your money bud.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 05:47 PM

I'm sure you've put more money into that truck than it's worth. It won't hurt to slop oil on it and it won't hurt the value of it either, not that it matters. Just do it and quit worrying about it.

Good Luck
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 06:37 PM

Just drive it forward a couple of vechile length then the rust will be under someone else's vechile

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 06:40 PM

Your question has been answered several friggin times. 90% of the guys here want you to oil it up. The other 10% tell you it's to late but you keep bringing up the shop that told you it's a bad idea.... What exactly are you wanting??

THERE IS NO "BEST THING TO DO" BECAUSE ITS ALREADY RUSTED.

Good luck.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:01 PM

How many times ,do we have to go ovah this topic.....Talk about Beating a dead Horse....PAY ATTENTION !!!!!!!

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:03 PM

FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM

SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON....my computer just ran out of ink

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Or the “ Trap Dip Question “ every fall.......every year.....

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:17 PM

If Dave would have spent as much time worrying about getting his knee repaired, than he has stewing and fretting about some rust under his pickup, he would have been farther ahead. Plus, he would have taken care of something worth while.....himself.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:23 PM

Coonman -

The coyote liked tomatoes, but the vechile didn't go for the frog bait when it was blue sky near the doorjamb. Just keep that in mind.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 07:40 PM

FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM FLUID FILM

SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON SPRAY IT ON....my computer just ran out of ink

grin grin grin

Man, so much great knowledge and experience on this subject. Nessy and Racer Man (Hippie) , to name just a couple ....I despise rust. Done my share of removal with a grinder. I wish vechiles smile were all made of polymer ! Just pop the dents back in place ....

They coat roads here in winter with that brine also. UGH

Jack's thought ...love that rye....er wry humor wink
Posted By: Savell

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 08:49 PM

... that’s a messed up deal right there.... what you should have done was wait till he looked off and then snatched that gun from him.... jerked his britches down and gave him a bare butt pistol whippin with his own sidearm

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 09:08 PM

Why would shop say that I wouldn't oil it ? To late?
Posted By: Kermit

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 09:09 PM

Change the oil in motor and then dump it behind the seat. Floorboards will last. If you already have rust you need a big container and soak in vinegar the same as traps
Posted By: Dan D

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 09:54 PM

Because you drive the guys at the shop crazy.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 10:03 PM

Take some trap dip and cut it with premium gas 5-1.... then go to one of them automatic car wash places...and tell the guy to put your trap dip in the “ Under Chassis “ tank....then drive your truck through....that will spray that stuff all under the truck. And give the guy a 10.00 tip.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Local guys product is best I've seen
It went Nationwide.
The name is Fennelize.
It's in our Napa stores, BUT,
younz wont like it, I guarantee.

I went to school with the Fennel boys. They lived within walking distance of me. In 1998, I bought a 72 Chevelle Malibou, was a one owner car. Fennel’s had rustproofed the car in the late 70s, their wax / oil product never really gets fully dry. To this day, the car has zero sign of rust. 73,000 miles on it.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan D

This right here!!! I hate working under oily vehicles. I'd charge double if I knew you oiled it down on purpose...

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dan D

This right here!!! I hate working under oily vehicles. I'd charge double if I knew you oiled it down on purpose...

Take some trap dip and cut it with premium gas 5-1.... then go to one of them automatic car wash places...and tell the guy to put your trap dip in the “ Under Chassis “ tank....then drive your truck through....that will spray that stuff all under the truck. And give the guy a 10.00 tip.

Then throw a match in the frame and hope the gas hasn't evaporated yet
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/17/21 11:35 PM

Loosen up your rear main bolts. It will oil itself soon enough. Just keep checking your dipstick. Easy peasy.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Loosen up your rear main bolts. It will oil itself soon enough. Just keep checking your dipstick. Easy peasy.
this is the best method so far.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 12:26 AM

Just loosen the valve cover gaskets....the under carriage will be soaked in no time. Fixed 63 chevys back in the day...the ones with the leaky valve covers had NO Rusted Floor pans !

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 12:30 AM

Do you have full coverage insurance on that thing dave?

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 01:48 AM

It's like Groundhog Day....all over again.

Re: Undercoat pickup [Re: coonman220] #700178909/27/20 10:22 AM
coonman220

3 cans fluid film did about 75 per cent frame an under carriage. Up into edge lower body an floor of body underside on seams where rust, along with paint brush to spread out after spray. Also shoot it in holes drill already into frame inside.. A sprayer on a hoist where can walk underneath would be best with a gallon of fluid film, spray heavy then, hard get lay underneath it with Flashlite in spots like on top frame in placez. Rust really eats away above spare tire donut, an start on edges good where upper kingpins or ball joints are at in that metsl there into , $30 on fluid film, o wouldn't use used old 5-30 oil I save as u reslly hate dirty runny mess, the fluid film is made for it an stays, like apply an don't really drip off. It creeps into metal, got lots other work done over weekend so far, before trapping season hits, unknown how much go to do it at first, I not plan to put as many miles on , probly wont have time anyhow, if coon are really going to be average $3-$4 finish, I would curtail coon trapping

Last edited by coonman220; 09/27/20 10:29 AM.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 01:51 AM

CTRAPS, maby he forgot.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 03:23 AM

That not enough an paint brush feeble, need saturated more that, air pressure sprayer an gallon, first need find out if so any good
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/18/21 08:55 AM

boat axel grease and a paint brush.

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/19/21 07:09 PM

I just talk body shop, they say paint undercoat is no good unless sandblast rust off first , oil like fluid film well slow rust down a little but reapply every 4-5 months, not sure if fluid film well spray thru a hand pump sprayer or need air pressure ? I have spend $20 on sprayer , how many $10 - 14 or 16 oz cans of aerosel would it take do pickup suspension an driveshaft plus frame an sone under body spots ? Maybe buy $20 on 2 cans every few weeks, anyone know if fluid film spray thru a hand pump sprayer or need air tank ? Would be more wasteful with sprayer an use to much also
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: What best do with rust under vechile - 04/19/21 08:51 PM

Find a high corn stubble field and do a bunch of donuts in there. That will sandblast the frame and its free.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums