Home

grease sandwiches

Posted By: AKAjust

grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 08:44 PM

Anyone ever eat one?
Back when I was a kid my grandma visited us and dad asked her to make grease sandwiches. She shot him a nasty look and said something like "You never ate those" Anyway she made some. I haven't had any since but I remember they didn't taste too bad.
Funny how my old mind drifts back to those days.
just
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 08:50 PM

Bacon grease on toast? Yummy. Basically just use bacon grease like butter, and maybe a sprinkle of salt.

Come to think of it, ive got a bunch of coon fat I just rendered. Now I have an idea.....
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:14 PM

how about a lard sandwich?

same idea you get nutrition to keep going but not much flavor

you could keep a can of canned lard 50 years without issue
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:18 PM

I once soaked up the grease/oil/water from ring bologna into a couple pieces of bread, ate it, then puked my guts out. Never again.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:25 PM

My brother Nick and cousin Matt once got on a deep frying in lard kick and tried deep frying cheese sandwiches. It did not go well. The bread soaked up the grease making grease sandwiches, that were virtually inedible.

A little bacon grease on bread doesn't sound bad.

Keith
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:43 PM

Spam use to have a lot more gelatinous goo in the can. My friend loved this spread on toast.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:44 PM

Greasy Grits & Gravy.With some S.O.S. grin
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 09:46 PM

My grandmother would take plain white Wonder bread and soak up the grease from a cast iron skillet of bacon and eat the bread.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 10:00 PM

Redeye bacon or ham gravy with vine ripened tomatoes and toast or biscuits. Yeppers
Posted By: slydogx

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 10:09 PM

My mom used to make "Texas toast". Soak bread in bacon grease and then crisped up under the broiler.
Was really good
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 10:13 PM

everytime my Mom made a porkroast we had lardbread sandwiches
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I once soaked up the grease/oil/water from ring bologna into a couple pieces of bread, ate it, then puked my guts out. Never again.

grin
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 10:18 PM

Alcohol a factor Benson??
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/14/21 11:46 PM

a pan of bacon grease a little water , flour , milk , salt and pepper and you have an excellent gravy and every one wants to dip their biscuits in it
Posted By: Starbits

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 12:34 AM

My Mom said one of her favorite things growing up was goose or turkey grease spread on bread like butter. I thought it sounded horrible and I never tried it. Maybe I should have.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 12:46 AM

Bacon grease on homemade bread, washed down with ice cold milk.

Many a night I battled the dog for first shot at the old Griswold.

WS
Posted By: Marty B

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten

Well who would eat hotdog water sober?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 01:55 AM

My old man ate ,what they called....” A Fat Back Sandwich “ ....anyone know what that is ?
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
My old man ate ,what they called....” A Fat Back Sandwich “ ....anyone know what that is ?

Very popular down south. Basically a bacon minus the meat portions... all fat. It's taken from the spine of the pig instead of the belly and is sliced and fried just like bacon.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 02:46 AM

lard sandwiches on pumpernickel bread with good amounts of pepper and other toppings of choice.

Bryce
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 02:55 AM

Made my middle boy a room temp creamy bacon Grease
Sandwich on wheat today for lunch. Just the way he likes it.
Posted By: headache73

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 03:03 AM

When I was a kid, my Dad loved what he called wilted lettuce. After frying bacon, he put raw lettuce in the skillet and cooked it in the grease. I thought it was nasty, but he loved that stuff, right up until his first heart attack grin
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 01:36 PM

Y
Originally Posted by headache73
When I was a kid, my Dad loved what he called wilted lettuce. After frying bacon, he put raw lettuce in the skillet and cooked it in the grease. I thought it was nasty, but he loved that stuff, right up until his first heart attack grin

Yes mom made that once in a while. Loved it.
just
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 01:46 PM

Robert Ruark talks about soaking up the bacon grease with bread and eating it in his book The Old Man and the Boy.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/15/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
a pan of bacon grease a little water , flour , milk , salt and pepper and you have an excellent gravy and every one wants to dip their biscuits in it

X2! I can eat a loaf of bread with a big bowl of gravy to dip bread in. Yum
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/16/21 12:29 PM

My mom had one them little tin cans with a screen in top it in fridge.. All bacon grease went in that can. May times I spread that Bacon Grease on bread like butter ate it.. Was also used to fry eggs in when didn't do the bacon with them..I also dice up bacon fry it, add little cider vinegar bit sugar right in the pan with grease. Mix it up pour it warm over some fresh from the creek water cress.. then ya got some good eats.

Mac
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/16/21 01:05 PM

My mom said back in the depression you was still amongst the living if you had a biscuit or cornbread and some pork grease.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/16/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten

grin
Posted By: BW55

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/16/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by headache73

Wilted lettuce is the only reason that I plant leaf lettuce. Pan fried fresh green beans with onions in bacon grease may be my favorite though.

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/16/21 01:29 PM

My folks all grew up on milk, eggs and lard. Now depending on the report you read all of those foods will kill you. May be some some truth to it my folks all died, lol !

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/18/21 11:02 PM

They just showed a young lady on the news that died at 116 years of age. They had asked her what she attributed a long life to. She said other than living right she ate bacon and sausage almost every day !
Posted By: River Birch

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/18/21 11:15 PM

Had a teacher (Mr.Bell) who spoke often about growing up eating Goose grease sandwiches...

Goose grease was seasoned with vinegar, lemon, onion, and parsley before it was whipped with a little cream to make a sandwich spread.

Posted By: seniortrap

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/18/21 11:21 PM

I ate a lot of butter on bread for dinner.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: grease sandwiches - 04/18/21 11:46 PM

Grease and drippins we cooked our vittles in NEVER went to waste.Pour over the whole supper and mop it up with your bread or biscuits.Best part of the meal.Even better the next morning.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums