Home

just sold rats to Groeny

Posted By: VH60

just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 07:04 PM

Just got back from selling rats to Groenewold . 44 rats . My sizing pre sale was 17 XL (several close to 2XL but between the lines) , 23 2XL , 4 3XL . I was conservative in my sizing . All the rats were caught in January or February . Two were damaged , one of them slightly as far as I remember . 13 @ 6.00 , 23 @ 4.00 and 8 @ 2.50 . Thats only a 4.31 average . It was fairly busy and he was going to be late for his next NY stop if he was the one going to be doing the buying so I wasn't able to ask him what a 2.50 rat looks like or what he's looking for when he grades rats . Ideally I would like to pre grade and sort the rats by size and give him one batch at a time and see how he grades them and what he offers for each batch instead of slapping them all on the table and waiting for a final offer . I'm not complaining because I did snatch that check up and ran to the bank with it but I'd like to know a little more about his methods lol .
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 07:12 PM

If you have questions ask them. He will adjust his time to answer. Do not let others take the time that you are allotted (paying for) from you.

You have a right and responsibility to learn and if the furbuyer fails you by not teaching you He deserves to Loose your business.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 07:19 PM

It sounds like you did OK.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 07:47 PM

Beav, you disappoint me. You were supposed to say: "he already knew what he was going to pay you for an average, and just arbitrarily gave values to different rats to achieve that".
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 08:21 PM

It seems to me he is VERY good at doing quick math. A couple high numbers to make it sound good but enough lows to make the average price per rat low. Seems to me everyone's average comes out about the same. Like I said quick good math skills are what makes him money. When your doing business dont let anyone rush you it's your dime and livelihood.

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 08:36 PM

Ya beaverpeeler I slipped up on that one.

Your not going to dicker with groney. Your going to have at least 3 grades and that's It.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VH60
Just got back from selling rats to Groenewold . 44 rats . My sizing pre sale was 17 XL (several close to 2XL but between the lines) , 23 2XL , 4 3XL . I was conservative in my sizing . All the rats were caught in January or February . Two were damaged , one of them slightly as far as I remember . 13 @ 6.00 , 23 @ 4.00 and 8 @ 2.50 . Thats only a 4.31 average .

At the Herkimer auction this past Saturday,
1,413 rats averaged $4.92 and T-man member
newfox1 averaged $4.93 on his rats.

Groeny should be paying a little better for our
Top Of The Line New York State Rats
since he was paying close to the same price for
North Carolina rats last week.

He's going to have to do a little better than that
going forward if he is going to continue to ROCK !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: newfox1

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 08:58 PM

He's gonna rock you this weekend walleyed.LOL

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by newfox1
He's gonna rock you this weekend walleyed.LOL

Ahh, Nope.

He had better bring his A-game
if he wants to get walleyed's
shedding, hairless, bit up muskrats !!! LOL laugh

w
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/15/21 10:03 PM

The Groeny challenge....toss him hundred rats of the same size and grade and he’ll show you how to sort them into four piles.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
The Groeny challenge....toss him hundred rats of the same size and grade and he’ll show you how to sort them into four piles.

Exactly!!!!!!!!
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 02:38 AM

Being in a hurry works well for him. After all he's doing you a favor buying your fur LOL. With no auction prices to push market he has the luxury to not increase prices. Hopefully that changes in the near future

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 03:54 AM

We can only hope the internet auction will do better. But there Is always the dreaded PT room to consider
and the commission and the per pelt handling charge. Time will tell.
Posted By: VH60

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 09:07 AM

Walleyed , I wish I was closer to Herkimer but I would have to have a big pile of rats to make it worth it . I did see something unusual while I was watching other guys sell . A guy from New Jersey put his rats and some beaver on the table . Groeny gave him a price on the rats and the guy said no sale , which seemed to catch Groeny off guard a little I think . The guy asked Groeny what he would pay for the beaver and Groeny kinda threw his hands up a little and said , well what do you want for them ? The guy said $12.00 a piece . Groeny did some sorting and did give the guy $12.00 for at least a couple of them , I couldn't hear the offer on the rest but I suspect the ability to do quick math and some salesmanship got Groeny his averages LOL .
Posted By: nimzy

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 11:01 AM

Unusual wink ?

A resistor? I heard them fellas from jersey are notorious for being difficult. Lol

We could use some more backbone. Thanks Jersey Dude (Whoever u r)
Posted By: Hern

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 11:10 AM

Couple weeks ago, a friend averaged $4.94 on Pennsylvania 'rats from the Groeny truck.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hern
Couple weeks ago, a friend averaged $4.94 on Pennsylvania 'rats from the Groeny truck.

I wanted to give him a shot this year ( his first buying safari into Pa. ), but his route run was the night before our trout season opener, and I had a camp full of guys. I dropped everything off for FHA this season.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 12:55 PM

Hey send them to NAFA !!! LOL LOL LOL see what they bring or Hey post your last price you got from NAFA after commission .......
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever

Exactly!!!!!!!!

That dirty Rat!!! ( said in a NY accent)
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by VH60
Just got back from selling rats to Groenewold . 44 rats . My sizing pre sale was 17 XL (several close to 2XL but between the lines) , 23 2XL , 4 3XL . I was conservative in my sizing . All the rats were caught in January or February . Two were damaged , one of them slightly as far as I remember . 13 @ 6.00 , 23 @ 4.00 and 8 @ 2.50 . Thats only a 4.31 average .

At the Herkimer auction this past Saturday,
1,413 rats averaged $4.92 and T-man member
newfox1 averaged $4.93 on his rats.

Groeny should be paying a little better for our
Top Of The Line New York State Rats
since he was paying close to the same price for
North Carolina rats last week.

He's going to have to do a little better than that
going forward if he is going to continue to ROCK !!!! laugh

w

Ok one question did a commission come off these averages? IF IT was an auction I assume commissions. Lot of times people post a price to make it look like others are doing better. BUT what was cash in hand after the dust settles.
Posted By: TrapprChris

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 02:03 PM

I agree with beav. I was there in Port Jervis yesterday and he alrady knew what the average would be, had rats go for $7 down to $1 for a $4.50 average Lol
Same with beaver, but it beats being held at FHA for months.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 04:13 PM

Jbyrd, 8% commission at herkimer I think, that would be .39/ rat that would mean I cleared $4.54 add .32 / rat for glands that would be $4.86 net.

/
Posted By: claycreech

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 04:41 PM

$6 average on 182 Missouri rats in the country.
They were exceptionally big rats. Only 8 of them were under 2xl.
If you’ve got rats and have access to him, you need to give Trevor Barnes a shot at them.
Posted By: eric space

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 05:13 PM

I was at Port Jervis yesterday. I didn't have a lot to sell. Going there I figured if I came home with $600.00 I would be happy. Came home with $765.00.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 06:24 PM

How did the mink do Eric?
Posted By: Boco

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 07:43 PM

You guys say you dont have to sell to groany if the price is not agreeable.You can take home what you think is undervalued-I hear that all the time on here as one of the advantages to selling to him over the auction.
Why not just sell the 7 and 6 dollar rats and walk with the ones he low balls you on-the 1 to 3 dollar piles.Take them home and sell him the 7 and 6 dollar ones.

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 08:03 PM

Well there have been times when he won't do the deal unless you sell him all the rats. I know I walked with 150 coon one time. He graded them out In 3 piles. There were 18 $20.00 coon In one pile I wasn't happy with the prices on the other 2 piles. So I said well I'll sell you those 18 coon for $20.00 he said I can't do that. I need to buy them all. Don't know If things have changed or not.

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Well there have been times when he won't do the deal unless you sell him all the rats. I know I walked with 150 coon one time. He graded them out In 3 piles. There were 18 $20.00 coon In one pile I wasn't happy with the prices on the other 2 piles. So I said well I'll sell you those 18 coon for $20.00 he said I can't do that. I need to buy them all. Don't know If things have changed or not.

Groany did that to his preferred customer & press agent ?

Was he mad at you after that, Beav ?

w

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 08:36 PM

I don't know It was a long time before ever went back. The other time I walked Is when I took him 700 rats that I had pre graded from several 1000 ND rats. He offered me $5.00 at a nose count I walked and got a average of $7.50 at NAFA.

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 08:49 PM

You know right there something shady is going on.
Posted By: eric space

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 10:47 PM

Kelly, mink around here have diseased out, not many left. I sold 3 but they had been in the freezer for a few years. 2 brought $7.00 and one with a big hole in the back brought $3.00.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/16/21 11:03 PM

Beav,

This is my point in case. He graded on a predetermined average. If everyone can’t see that, I can’t help.

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/17/21 12:45 AM

He has orders to fill and he knows what the broker Is willing to pay. So he knows what he can pay and still make a profit.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/17/21 01:06 AM

Def buys on a predetermined avg.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/17/21 01:11 AM

He has orders to fill and he knows what the broker Is willing to pay. So he knows what he can pay and still make a profit.

So, you're saying it's more of a math exercise than actual grading?
wink
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/17/21 01:35 AM

And Groeney 's tape measure must be different than any one I have ever used

Re: just sold rats to Groeny - 04/17/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101

So, you're saying it's more of a math exercise than actual grading?
wink

Putting fur in 3 or 4 different piles is not grading,lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums