Home

Sending skunk quill

Posted By: 20scout

Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:04 AM

Has anyone ever tried vacuum sealing a bottle to see if that would help contain the odor? I've sealed to bottles with plastic coat but thought if I would vacuum seal them that it might be an additional barrier. Any opinions?
Posted By: Sawmill Creek

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:06 AM

Vacuum sealing doesn't work. Packed in kitty litter has had the best results for me
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:33 AM

Pack your jars in dirt or kitty litter inside a new paint can. Then box and ship.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:39 AM

Floor dri can be used as well, if you dont have kitty litter.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by webfootwhacker
Pack your jars in dirt or kitty litter inside a new paint can. Then box and ship.

Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:56 AM

^^^^^^^ thats the ticket ^^^^^^
Posted By: MJM

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:56 AM

It would not hurt, but you something to absorb the smell. Vermiculite works well and is light.
I once put a waxed 4 oz bottle of essence in a quart canning jar and tightened it all I could. I taped the lid on the quart jar after it was tight. I then put foam in a ammo can and put the jar in it. I calked the ammo can lid and the smell still seeped out. I had to use a large screw driver to open the ammo can and it sounded like it was vacuum packed.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 02:04 AM

I like the plastic peanut butter jars to seal a 4oz bottle of essence after wrapping it with newspaper and zip lock bagging it then seal it with duct tape. The pain cans you can buy at some hardware stores.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Has anyone ever tried vacuum sealing a bottle to see if that would help contain the odor? I've sealed to bottles with plastic coat but thought if I would vacuum seal them that it might be an additional barrier. Any opinions?

I do all the time but I believe the real key is they bottles that I use with this special lid. https://www.berlinpackaging.com/ab4poly-24-4-oz-amber-glass-boston-round-bottles-black-phenolic-cap/

You'll never have to plastic coat your bottles again or send in a paint can full of whatever. In this bottle and vacuum sealed, I can't even smell skunk.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Originally Posted by 20scout

I do all the time but I believe the real key is they bottles that I use with this special lid. https://www.berlinpackaging.com/ab4poly-24-4-oz-amber-glass-boston-round-bottles-black-phenolic-cap/

You'll never have to plastic coat your bottles again or send in a paint can full of whatever. In this bottle and vacuum sealed, I can't even smell skunk.

Those are the same jars I use only mine are clear vs brown. The cap is the same though.
I've heard of packing the jars in sand in a paint can but sand can be heavy. I like the idea of floor dry but was just wondering if the vacuum sealed bags was worth the effort. Think I'm going to use Law Dogs suggestion with the plastic peanut butter jars.
Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Newt

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 11:28 AM

This is the only way
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 11:51 AM

A little while back, USPS was either destroying EVERY package I sent, or it would get lost. This happened for a month. I filed numerous complaints, but they wouldn't pay out the insurance. Said it was "the senders responsibility to properly package items." So, my brother and I sent a 1oz jar of skunk essence back and forth to each other for a month. I can tell you how "NOT" to pack it. cool Funny thing is, my packages started arriving in one piece and on time. I got a formal letter asking me to stop sending "whatever smells so awful" from the local PO.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 12:33 PM

Baking soda absorbs odors.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Sending skunk quill - 04/17/21 01:21 PM

Some day some slacker will end all skunk shipments because of poor packaging just think how serious the outcome could be if a bottle broke at the wrong time in transit. eek
© 2024 Trapperman Forums