Home

Introvert or Extrovert?

Posted By: SGT. C

Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 02:40 AM

Which one are you?

I'm an introvert- I don't like large crowds(can only deal with maybe an hour at most). Like to be outside of the circle looking in to get a feel of things at first. Normally very quiet, don't mind spending large amounts of time by myself. Only have a few friends that are true friends rather then having many so called friends .Like to spend time at home rather then going out all the time. I live back in the woods for solitude. Love spending time with the wife and dogs at home vs spending time with people most of the time. I truly enjoy quiet times, no loud noises, most of time drive without the radio on. When at home, cell phone gets turned off. Land line only.

Now, this isn't to say I'm antisocial. But, typically, people annoy me and I seek quiet for refuge. So, therefore, people either avoid me or until they get to know me. Then once understood, they know i will be there if needed. But, don't bother me with daily non sense.
In the military, I was always like this. When something needed to be done right, they came to me. Because, they knew i didn't have time to play games and once locked or focus onto something. I always seen it through and was left alone until I was done.

So, wither right or wrong. There it is. Nothing wrong being an introvert. Something about solitude that makes me thrive, versus having to get my fill being around people all the time. Living off the grid is my way of living. I would love to be able to only go into town once a month and I would be just fine with that. Sarge
Posted By: Gone Trappin.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 02:50 AM

Extrovert
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 02:55 AM

I am obviously an introvert. I rarely speak or git lippy online. whistle
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:05 AM

Introvert
Posted By: waggler

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:05 AM

Even split here.
Depends who I'm around and for how long.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:30 AM

The US population is about 70% extroverted, according to the research and surveys. Based on the surveys I have completed I am extroverted but not significantly so. The degree of each of the two is the more impactful aspect of one's behavior. There is also a large distinction between rural and urban, with rural residents being much more likely to be introverted and urban dwellers more extroverted. The real issues come up when one is strongly one way or the other and not in the environment that suits their style. A lot of these issues show up in the workplace. People can live where they feel comfortable but may not always have careers or work places that suit them well.
Extroverted people tend to their image support from others and feedback from others, where as introverts tend to live by their own drum. Strong extroverts gain energy interacting with people, while strong introverts find dealing with people and especially a lot of people tiring and energy sapping.
Extroverts can and do spend a lot of time in alone type activities, but share much of what they did with many. Introverts do the same thing and don't say much about what they did.

Bryce
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:36 AM

Not sure if I'm an introvert or an extrovert but one time I had a girl call me a pervert.

Moosetrot
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:38 AM

Introvert mostly I think
Posted By: Posco

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:38 AM

I'm a mixture of both.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:41 AM

I've always been a loner and go my own way. However, I do enjoy interaction with others and groups on my terms. I don't try to dominate or hog the limelight but when I have knowledge on a topic or feel I have something to offer to a conversation or project I freely contribute.

Case in point, the job I'm on now is a film set and I really have very little in common with the crew. As the snake wrangler on set I'm happy just doing my thing of scouring the area to remove anything found so these folks can film without worry. Yet I can hold conversations with any of them on common ground. Had a nice conversation last night with a young gal from Vicksburg. Evidently she's some sort of star and has traveled the world yet we had a nice conversation about her Mississippi roots. Maybe I should've put in a plug for Wolfdog?
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:49 AM

Mostly an introvert. Add beer and I turn into an extrovert.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 04:01 AM

When your real popular its hard to be an introvert.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Not sure if I'm an introvert or an extrovert but one time I had a girl call me a pervert.

Moosetrot

Only once --- you must surely be an introvert. grin
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 04:39 AM

I don't talk unless I have something to say and then only if someone appears willing to listen. "Making conversion" is not for me. Most folks consider me an introvert. Those who know me well disagree. To me I'm just me.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 04:46 AM

Introvert. But I have to go to Winnipeg tomorrow. Dreading it big time!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 04:50 AM

Definitely an introvert. The best time I have is when I'm by myself doing something I love doing, with the exception of being with my wife. I absolutely enjoy that. I have no what you would call close friends. I do have casual friends. I use to give a lot of demos, but I'm not a demo sort, so I retired from it after doing about a hundred of them. I can manage folks because of my training, but I'd rather not.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 08:14 AM

The older I get, the less I can tolerate people.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:44 AM

I like people one on one or very small groups in moderation. My wife and kids are about the only people I care to have around me.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:49 AM

Introvert.

Not at all shy. Not anti-social. I can talk comfortably in front of large crowds. But I prefer a very small group of friends over a big party.

Extroverts gain energy from social situations.
Introverts expend energy in social situations.

My wife leaves a party fired up, excited, ready for more. I leave a party exhausted from all the interaction - even though I probably had a good time.
Posted By: corky

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 11:49 AM

Introvert
A few very good friends, otherwise just leave me alone.
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 12:29 PM

Introvert.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Introvert.

Not at all shy. Not anti-social. I can talk comfortably in front of large crowds. But I prefer a very small group of friends over a big party.

Extroverts gain energy from social situations.
Introverts expend energy in social situations.

My wife leaves a party fired up, excited, ready for more. I leave a party exhausted from all the interaction - even though I probably had a good time.

^^^ This
Posted By: magsdad

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 01:42 PM

Introvert
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 01:43 PM

Introvert, not shy, can talk your head off , when I feel like it or need to because of sales. I try to stay away from crowds! Work by myself and can count the number of friends on one hand and have not seen most of them in at least a year. Rather be on the water or wood’s by myself! Always been this way.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 02:40 PM

All you introverts described me to a "T"!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 02:49 PM

Introvert here!
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 03:18 PM

Introvert for me
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
All you introverts described me to a "T"!

Me too Lee. Its like looking in the mirror reading some of these comments. I do come from a large family and I am a extrovert with them. With anybody else, introvert.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 06:53 PM

Sarge. Form an orderly cue behind me grin

I am anti social.I'll be glad when this 6 feet social distancing nonsense will be over and I can go back to my much preferred 6 miles.
Posted By: Sasquatch96

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 06:54 PM

Always heard it was better to have four quarters than 100 pennies. Makes sense when it comes to people/friends. I am an introvert, but my job makes me be an extrovert.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twolines
Definitely an introvert. Don’t have any friends...wife is my only/best friend. Can’t even trust my own family anymore really...
Don’t like big crowds, don’t like to be in public generally. I’d rather be busy with one of many hobbies.
I was popular in my younger days but realized quickly most people are overrated and likely just want something.

Just when I was looking for a new best friend. Lol
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
The older I get, the less I can tolerate people.

^^^this
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 08:12 PM

Introvert, I'm another one that has to be around customers for work but after that I'd usually rather be by myself or with my wife.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 09:17 PM

Very interesting that trappers seem to be almost 100% introvert. Seems almost impossible to pick any group and get 100%.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 09:21 PM

Definitely an introvert. I am not a "people person" at all and I despise meeting new people. I'm not social either and I would usually rather be doing something by myself.

I don't have very many close friends but that's ok with me.

I don't spend time with people who have different values and interests than me. If you aren't politically conservative and enjoy guns and the outdoors, I don't want to spend any time with you because I have nothing in common with you. I'm much more talkative with someone after I get to know them a little while.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Very interesting that trappers seem to be almost 100% introvert. Seems almost impossible to pick any group and get 100%.

That's what I was thinking. I guess we're not in the 70%.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 09:27 PM

Not surprising at all to find trappers introverted and many strongly so. There may be what, 200K of trappers in the whole USA which amounts to .0006% of the US population. With 70% of the US population extroverted and I would bet that the bulk of those against trapping, hunting etc. to be strongly extroverted as well, we need to really work hard on how to communicate our heritage, the antis not only have more money and many supporters they have the upper hand in how to communicate to the larger segment of the population.
Bryce
Posted By: Boco

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:34 PM

Say it LOUD
I'm Black and I'm PROUD!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:35 PM

You left out narcissistic, passive aggressive, oppositional defiant, paranoid schizophrenic! whistle
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:52 PM

Introvert but love to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) slap any arrogant know it all when appropriate.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:54 PM

I like the sound of running water. It's soothing. Guess that is way I'm a beaver trapper. LOL
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
Originally Posted by Twolines
Definitely an introvert. Don’t have any friends...wife is my only/best friend. Can’t even trust my own family anymore really...
Don’t like big crowds, don’t like to be in public generally. I’d rather be busy with one of many hobbies.
I was popular in my younger days but realized quickly most people are overrated and likely just want something.

Just when I was looking for a new best friend. Lol

laugh laugh
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/17/21 11:37 PM

Easily an extrovert if any of that mumbo-jumbo is real.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 12:25 AM

Definitely an introvert for the great majority of my life outside of my career. Which is weird because my career I'm right in the middle of things. I think that's why I prefer to be alone when I am not working.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 01:51 AM

Dale, I do not like large crowds either, but can talk to anybody anywhere about nearly anything. So does that make me a hybrid.??
The wife is super shy and introvert.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Dale, I do not like large crowds either, but can talk to anybody anywhere about nearly anything. So does that make me a hybrid.??
The wife is super shy and introvert.

Just weird. LOL

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 02:59 AM

A lot of this discussion about liking to be alone but can and do talk with many people etc. etc. really misses a lot of what personality structures tell us. Extrovert and introvert is more about how we recharge or drain our batteries then whether we talk or not.

Bryce
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
A lot of this discussion about liking to be alone but can and do talk with many people etc. etc. really misses a lot of what personality structures tell us. Extrovert and introvert is more about how we recharge or drain our batteries then whether we talk or not.

Bryce

Answering questions from an online Meyers-Briggs personality test is one avenue to further pigeon hole one's personality structure into 1of 16 types. Uses percentages to show the "strength" of your traits based upon the response of your answers in four core areas. Once a personality trait is ascertained you can compare your results to the descriptions of each group - surprisingly accurate in the cases of my wife and I.

As for me: INTJ

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 12:22 PM

Is it possible for one to exhibit both set of traits? I know I am for the most part extroverted but I both crave and enjoy my alone time.

Spendin a couple weeks up at 7500 ft or in a tent by the river would be an example. Also, runnin traps or ridin some remote fence lines are some of my fav ways to spend a day or 3
Posted By: Posco

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
[font:Comic Sans MS]Is it possible for one to exhibit both set of traits? I know I am for the most part extroverted but I both crave and enjoy my alone time.

I'm very much similar. I can do ten days lone in a tent and I can be right in the middle of the mix. One thing I found incredibly surprising was the number of guys I worked with who were taking medication for social anxiety. Fully half the guys I worked with at my last job were taking prescription medication for it. Most of them I would have never dreamed had that hard a time functioning in society. There might have been more, those were just the guys who confided in me.

A lot of guys have mentioned they do well one on one but don't like being in large gatherings of people. Is it that they're not comfortable in their own skin, pecking order issues...I don't know. I have noticed how people change. I can be engaging someone in a conversation and things can be going along fine until someone else enters the picture and their entire demeanor changes. It happens all the time. Human beings are a complicated creature.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 12:48 PM

I have taken the Myers-Briggs a few times and also used the short version with my adult farm classes several times. Yes people can exhibit both traits and, quite often. In our more modern, mobile and tech based culture most people are put into environments where their base trait will be challenged even more than in the past.

Bryce
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/18/21 01:27 PM

I just can't muster the courage to announce one way or the other.

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/19/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Is it possible for one to exhibit both set of traits? I know I am for the most part extroverted but I both crave and enjoy my alone time.

I'm very much similar. I can do ten days lone in a tent and I can be right in the middle of the mix. One thing I found incredibly surprising was the number of guys I worked with who were taking medication for social anxiety. Fully half the guys I worked with at my last job were taking prescription medication for it. Most of them I would have never dreamed had that hard a time functioning in society. There might have been more, those were just the guys who confided in me.

A lot of guys have mentioned they do well one on one but don't like being in large gatherings of people. Is it that they're not comfortable in their own skin, pecking order issues...I don't know. I have noticed how people change. I can be engaging someone in a conversation and things can be going along fine until someone else enters the picture and their entire demeanor changes. It happens all the time. Human beings are a complicated creature.

50% is a big bunch of guys for sure. I would hope to be the same man no matter we met- at a rondy, a church function, a waterin hole, or on the job. Anything short of that would make me believe one is obviously NOT comfortable in their own skin.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/19/21 03:12 PM

A mix, but tend towards introvert... Not a hermit, nor am I gregarious. Other individuals or small groups are fine... But the fewer people, the more comfortable I tend to be.

Mike
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/19/21 07:34 PM

Used to be an extrovert. But, gradually became an introvert. I shy away from any gathering of people, especially since the pandemic. I avoid things like weddings, funerals, graduations, etc.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Introvert or Extrovert? - 04/19/21 08:35 PM

some where in the middle , the wife is solid introvert.

don't like big or large crowds but need some outside contact , like small groups and visiting.

you know small groups as in not more than all my cousins, aunts and uncles at once , so say 100-150 at a time is about as big as I like to go

normally smaller but I have a lot of cousins so it happens my wife really doesn't care for those gatherings even if they are family
© 2024 Trapperman Forums