Home

FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now

Posted By: beaverpeeler

FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/22/21 03:29 PM

Like many have speculated; Mark Downey even came out and said "hard decisions" have had to be made this past year to keep the last remaining wild fur auction alive.

But that things are improving and prices and clearances of this last sale reflect that...blah blah blah.

What stood out to me is the stark contrast of sable averages (which looked pretty decent compared to past years) and otter which averaged $16.50
Posted By: Boco

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 12:42 AM

There is a lot of different sections of otter making up the auction house collection.That is why the auction avg doesnt mean much.You probably need to go to the warehouse and see what they collect to grasp that statement.
The top price of $60 is what caught my attention.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 01:08 AM

Their Christmas money cost me $20 a marten. Ho!Ho!Ho!. frown
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 01:16 AM

I went through the fur I sold. The local dealers in this are paid a higher average then what I sold on this first sale. All my coyote and fox were not caught early all about the time they should be, between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They went for lower then I expected. I think I go back old school and sell local next season.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 01:30 AM

Looks like rats did pretty good, eh?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 01:49 AM

Rats and beaver did ok. The long hair seem to suffer a bit. IMO
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 02:47 AM

I don't see beaver doing very good.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:02 AM

Cats did horrible, not only did I average almost double their average this year on mine, but I sold five for more than their top lot. . . lots more. Coyotes look decent and squirrels were hot. Marten weren't too bad. But really the only thing I seen the buyers went nuts on was squirrels.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:25 AM

I'm not sure I'll ever send a single scrap of fur up there ever again. As of right now I have no intention whatsoever
Posted By: drasselt

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:37 AM

Auctions are an option. Some fur I sell here, some fur I sell there, some fur goes somewhere else.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:40 AM

Fisher and otter....ugh.....The only shining item,is Castor and rats
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:49 AM

Plus they sold less than 1/2 of the beaver offered
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 05:21 AM

There was lots of competition on wolves, black bear and wolverine. Wild silver fox andnarctic fox were a bit crazy too.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Poorcoon
I'm not sure I'll ever send a single scrap of fur up there ever again. As of right now I have no intention whatsoever

10 months later...

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by Poorcoon

10 months later...

LOL
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 12:00 PM

Not again.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I went through the fur I sold. The local dealers in this are paid a higher average then what I sold on this first sale. All my coyote and fox were not caught early all about the time they should be, between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They went for lower then I expected. I think I go back old school and sell local next season.

Who you selling to locally? If you don't mind me asking.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 12:17 PM

Well she had a good run 600 year old industry. Start lowering that coffin.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Mark said "hard decisions"
that translated in banking terms, is sell something to pay off dept, plain and simple term
We thank you Dirt for holding up the fort. You are not on Marks IGNOR icon, like some 220 others are.

There is one thing that this forum is doing is moving him to get results out in the media even faster
Look at the posting of coyote averages, it was within 20 minutes of closing that sale.
But remember it was only the average of the first page of the offerings, forget the other 30 some odd pages for a true average.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 01:27 PM

It does appear that FHA management is listening and trying to get information out more timely. Trapper accounts updated during the auction, news releases, etc. I see that as a positive sign.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
There is a lot of different sections of otter making up the auction house collection.That is why the auction avg doesnt mean much.You probably need to go to the warehouse and see what they collect to grasp that statement.

But they sold 60% or over 5000 of what they had and avg was still $16. Was 60% of their collection crappy pelts? I think not. The $60 top was just that...a top lot of probably less that 20 pelts.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 02:46 PM

I never checked what sold high end or low,but I bet it was lower end stuff skewing that number.
definitely a big light at the end of the tunnel after the FHA sale for northern trappers.
Posted By: MJM

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Boco

But they sold 60% or over 5000 of what they had and avg was still $16. Was 60% of their collection crappy pelts? I think not. The $60 top was just that...a top lot of probably less that 20 pelts.

The top lot of otter brought $61 and there were four in the lot. The next highest string was 61 otter at $51. There were a few in the 30's and 40's But plenty in the 20's and under. I did not see any thing that looked good on how the otter sold.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

Mark said "hard decisions"
that translated in banking terms, is sell something to pay off dept, plain and simple term
We thank you Dirt for holding up the fort. You are not on Marks IGNOR icon, like some 220 others are.

There is one thing that this forum is doing is moving him to get results out in the media even faster
Look at the posting of coyote averages, it was within 20 minutes of closing that sale.
But remember it was only the average of the first page of the offerings, forget the other 30 some odd pages for a true average.

The sold catalog came out in record time. You are welcome. Next thing I would like them to try is have last receiving dates after sales. That could either be good or bad for their bottom line.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 03:11 PM

But they sold 60% or over 5000 of what they had and avg was still $16. Was 60% of their collection crappy pelts? I think not. The $60 top was just that...a top lot of probably less that 20 pelts.[/quote]
The top lot of otter brought $61 and there were four in the lot. The next highest string was 61 otter at $51. There were a few in the 30's and 40's But plenty in the 20's and under. I did not see any thing that looked good on how the otter sold.
[/quote]

Checked the sold catalog
Just what I figured,a lot of the good otter unsold.
Mostly what sold was stale goods(singed)blue ll's andsmaller sizes.
Even considering the collection that sold,the price is about double from recent past sales.Looking good down the road for sure.

Good larger beaver sold well too and for good price.
A slt grade will cost you half.
Beaver trappers need to buck up on their handling skills from trap to freezer to avoid that.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 03:34 PM

In my case, beaver cause themselves to be a slt Auction grade. Of course it should cause a beaver with less than 10 percent fur loss to be sold for 50 percent off. That is just reasonable.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 03:40 PM

In my case, beaver cause themselves to be a slt Auction grade. Of course it should cause a beaver with less than 10 percent fur loss to be sold for 50 percent off. That is just reasonable.

I agree, but I won't blame FHA on that. Every buyer I've ever known drops a beaver with any bite marks particularly in the square between the legs, by at least half. I can fix a case skinned hide so it looks like it was perfect 95% of the time. Can't do much about hiding flaws or sewing in a beaver that is stretched round.
Posted By: spjones

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 03:54 PM

The. LRD for the July sale is April 30 around here, just saying

As for the Christmas cheque’s, it silenced the “fha is going out of business” crowd full stop

Smart business

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by spjones
The. LRD for the July sale is April 30 around here, just saying

As for the Christmas cheque’s, it silenced the “fha is going out of business” crowd full stop

Smart business

Are you saying they want coyotes? They used to do the same( extend the date) when they wanted marten.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
It does appear that FHA management is listening and trying to get information out more timely. Trapper accounts updated during the auction, news releases, etc. I see that as a positive sign.

A lot of folks complain about FH lack of communication - no one answering the phone, not returning emails, not explaining things on Tman - but they are very much aware of what is being said on Tman. Several of the upper level management follow Tman. They don’t comment on Tman but they pay attention. Even Herman Jansen at NAFA followed Tman.

They don’t post on Tman for reasons I stated in a previous post - no matter what they would post, it would only start an argument, so why bother.
Posted By: spjones

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:14 PM

Obviously squirrel’s

The coyote market is finished

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

I agree, but I won't blame FHA on that. Every buyer I've ever known drops a beaver with any bite marks particularly in the square between the legs, by at least half. I can fix a case skinned hide so it looks like it was perfect 95% of the time. Can't do much about hiding flaws or sewing in a beaver that is stretched round.

Buyers did ( or do ) this because it isn't normally 50% off on slts at auction. That is how they make money. This 50% drop is a reflection on how weak the beaver market is still. I bet the slts are going in the hatter pile yet again.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2

Having worked with tanned beaver quite a bit,they are one of the easiest pelts to repair.Even damaged pelts can easily be made whole again with little effort.
Size and character of the fur makes this easier with beaver.
All else being equal,a slt dmg beaver pelt should be sold for near same price as one with no dmg.
When fur is in higher demand than it is now,you will see very little if any discount for vsl,or slt's.
However,we are not there,so best to not inflict any slight defects in the handling.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 04:17 PM

Obviously squirrel’s

True, That is where the big money is. smile
Posted By: The Beav

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 05:12 PM

I don't see where the rat market Is improving. When the smoke clears the rat average will be below $5.00.
Posted By: hippie

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I don't see where the rat market Is improving. When the smoke clears the rat average will be below $5.00.

Well below if my past experiences hold true.
Posted By: WBG

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 06:14 PM

Boco;; could You please tell Me where You purchased Your rose colored glasses, mine don't seem to be working correctly. Likely the worst sale since this mess started in fall 2013
Posted By: Northof50

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 09:36 PM

Obviously squirrel’s

True, That is where the big money is. smile

Don't let the word get out some of those Alberta trappers can harvest a 1000 squirrels easily.
Remember they put a statement out a while back. "We do not want squirrels"
it is time consuming grading/entering records/ for 35 cents for the commision
What happened last auction is a fur buyers agreement between the two buyers did not hold up...and one guy got them all
and to go from 7,000 down to 3000.....supply and demand kicks in.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 10:10 PM

Boco,
Im wanting to be as positive as you are....
Posted By: kingrat

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 10:32 PM

I will say I was very surprised the accounts were updated that quickly and a report a couple days after the sale. That's a great improvement. Now when's my money coming.

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kingrat
I will say I was very surprised the accounts were updated that quickly and a report a couple days after the sale. That's a great improvement. Now when's my money coming.

They are waiting until Christmas, since that was so popular. smile

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 10:40 PM

I doubt you will see your money until May 11 or later.

May 11 is the prompt date - the day that buyers must pay their bill or be charged interest.

Money has to come in before it can go out. smile
Posted By: kingrat

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 11:18 PM

Ok nancy hurry up and pay so I can spend it on my new fishfinder

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 11:50 PM

I didn’t buy anything at this sale. Sorry.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/23/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingrat

This always happens....they need to improve on posting the results of the PT sales.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/24/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
I doubt you will see your money until May 11 or later.

May 11 is the prompt date - the day that buyers must pay their bill or be charged interest.

Money has to come in before it can go out. smile

Try not to make too much sense around here! LOL
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: FurHarvesters Auction results are posted now - 04/24/21 01:50 AM

Prices still in the toilet.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums