Home

Question about labor laws

Posted By: coonman220

Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 02:52 PM

Can a factory where u work at have mandatory overtime on wkends an u work part time an say u got work wkend ? They been get more busy where work at, have inquire about another pt job, an lot jobs around butnot want drive far an work pt for other pt job, tired do all work an work death an not been get along good other workers lately, hope to go soon, something where mask not require much as in hot summer , can't take it with mask all time, I can't breathe already now, it been horrid have come work at 5 am on sat for 6 hrs very hard fast pace work, worn out tired from week an work at nite, 6 hrs at that place with no overtime pay, after taxes on 6 th day, a measly $50 bucks, on 5 th day I make maybe $45 after taxes, in 5 hrs, day 1 to 4, in 5 hrs a day, about $55, I as soon go out on sat an walk along road as do that crap an pick up .05 cans , I get no ot pay
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 03:41 PM

Where I grew up and worked when you accepted a job you worked when they wanted you to, period. If you don't like the hours get a different job.
If you wanted a job that doesn't involve too much mandatory overtime I suggest you work a union or State job
Now can collecting is a self employment job, hey pick your own hours!
My Dad didn't like complainers. He'd say s*#& or get off the pot.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 03:51 PM

The short answer is yes.

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Where I grew up and worked when you accepted a job you worked when they wanted you to, period. If you don't like the hours get a different job.
If you wanted a job that doesn't involve too much mandatory overtime I suggest you work a union or State job
Now can collecting is a self employment job, hey pick your own hours!
My Dad didn't like complainers. He'd say s*#& or get off the pot.

Ya well for years work someplace same old stuff an low pay as temp gets to anyone , what got do for 13 bucks hr, do stuff worth $25 hr, ya time to go an like tell them stuff it, not sure if mandatory ot was today but idk, not do that amount skill work for next zero pay , if would say I had to, I was go tell them not for $9 bucks hr take home , like $150 in cash , idk , if most them quit where u talk about at, he have fun, I personally like see some office ppl an mangement come out office an work 15 hrs a day in production a weekend, they need have union there an or be shut down by ossia
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 03:58 PM

In Kansas they call it "at will employment". You can be fired for any reason the owner of the business wants to fire you for except refusing to break the law or for religious or racial reasons.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 04:06 PM

Right now you get around 300 bucks extra when on unemployment until September. Get fired and enjoy summer off. Haha. Or just be a Door Dash employee. You're your own boss making your own hours delivering food or whatever to people's front doors.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 04:07 PM

You aren’t happy to at least have the job in the first place? And what a bonus that they are offering you over time hours to have the opportunity to make more money!
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 04:13 PM

I'm union and work 70 a week that's in 6 days , so all unions don't work or

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
You aren’t happy to at least have the job in the first place? And what a bonus that they are offering you over time hours to have the opportunity to make more money!

Yep. He could fix his truck with all the extra money. I'm on mandatory 50 hours a week. Saturday we can work as much as we want. I'm debt free (other than house) and using the extra money to pay down my mortgage and invest more. I'm not working past 60. Life is to short. Make hay when ya can. Never know when the overtime will end. Unless of course America is gone by then. Haha.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 04:31 PM

Yes they can. If you don't like it quit. All you do is whine you have no money and then when you have a chance to make more you start crying about it.

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 05:10 PM

I good worker an beat lot other workers on amount work do, I like get pay for it, not gype all time an do all work whole let full time slacker take easy, I not into work for $9 bucks hr an like get pay, I just saying u could make more money pick up pop cans on sat morning that, ya I guess I can get fired am whatever as might be best thing happen, get unemployment from temp agency , lol
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 05:26 PM

Dave, are you employed directly with the company you are working part time at or are you employed through a temp agency?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 07:11 PM

Go pick cans next Saturday and see if you got $50 worth. If you do, compare how long and what the expense was picking cans compared to working overtime on Saturday.

Then do it again the next Saturday. And see how that goes. Did you have to drive further, walk longer, dig deeper than the previous Saturday to find the cans?

You get what you want outta life. And unfortunately coonman, you’re picking cans.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 07:13 PM

It varies from state to state. Labor laws in PA aren't the same in IA.
PA is an at will state. So they can fire you for wearing the wrong color shirt one day. I think in PA the only ones exempt from having to work mandatory OT are medical workers.

If you're going through a temp agency you might want to ask them what they say about it. But if I recall you were complaining not long ago about not getting hired on by the company. So you might want to watch with refusing to work OT.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 07:20 PM

Quit the dang job already!~!!!!
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 08:13 PM

Wow another thread on your job. I've given suggestions that pay $7 to $9 an hour more and are full time in a climate controlled environment yet here we are.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 08:22 PM

I think coonman has a cousin who writes for the Impractical Jokers tv show and gave that guy his password to his tman account at one time.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 08:39 PM

No you don’t. You can quit. A business being busy. Is a good thing
Posted By: Savell

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Can a factory where u work at have mandatory overtime on wkends an u work part time an say u got work wkend ? They been get more busy where work at, have inquire about another pt job, an lot jobs around butnot want drive far an work pt for other pt job, tired do all work an work death an not been get along good other workers lately, hope to go soon, something where mask not require much as in hot summer , can't take it with mask all time, I can't breathe already now, it been horrid have come work at 5 am on sat for 6 hrs very hard fast pace work, worn out tired from week an work at nite, 6 hrs at that place with no overtime pay, after taxes on 6 th day, a measly $50 bucks, on 5 th day I make maybe $45 after taxes, in 5 hrs, day 1 to 4, in 5 hrs a day, about $55, I as soon go out on sat an walk along road as do that crap an pick up .05 cans , I get no ot pay

... I heard that coonman.... what you aught to do is ... slide up next to the manager... point and tell him there’s a big leak in the roof... and right when he looks up ... pull your mask off... jerk his britches down... and give him an ol country bare butt covid mask whipin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 09:23 PM

If you got no union maybe there is some kind of gov't labour board you could check with.
I doubt you can be forced,under threat of termination, to work beyond a certain number of hours in this day and age.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 09:45 PM

I think that butt whippin idea is your answer.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 09:45 PM

Republic Steel is hiring.

Job Details
Description
Republic Steel is North America's leading supplier of Specialty Bar Quality (SBQ) steel, which customers utilize in a wide range of products that directly impact lives around the world, including automotive, heavy machinery, agricultural, and defense applications. Every day you or someone you know uses a product built with our steel. We are looking for talented leaders that want to be a part of a company and industry that built the world.

We're everywhere!
Our steel goes into everything from bicycles and hand tools to bulldozers and automobiles. Odds are you've seen our steel at work!

Republic Steel is an essential business and during this difficult time, we are fortunate enough to keep our workforce employed and are still moving forward with hiring.

Job Summary: General laborers are responsible for assisting with the day-to-day rolling mill operations within a heavy manufacturing setting. Persons in these capacities may be responsible for operating overhead cranes and forklifts.

Hourly rates start at 80-percent of the base rate of pay for the first six (6) months for all hours worked and progress to a full rate of pay. Full rate of pay starts at $20.20 per hour plus incentive pay!

As an employee, you will have access to our robust benefits package which includes competitive medical benefits, prescription drug coverage, retirement plan, dental and vision coverage!

Apply now for an opportunity to sit for an aptitude testing session.

Minimum Requirements:

Candidates must have a minimum of a High School Diploma, GED or equivalent from an accredited school.
Candidates must be 18 years of age.
Candidate must be able to work a flexible work schedule to include holidays, weekends, rotating shifts and overtime.
Employment is contingent on successfully passing a background check and physical examination, including drug and alcohol screenings.
Must pass a written assessment test.

Preferred Requirements:

Two (2) or more years of experience in a heavy manufacturing environment

Qualifications
Education
Required

High School or better.
Posted By: K52

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 09:51 PM

His problem is he works through a temp agency and they charge the company for his labor thus his pay from them will always be lower than what a regular worker will earn. Him being part time there is no way he's working too many hours overtime, and I don't know what that would be. I've worked 7/10's and 12's straight through on some jobs that would go for a month. Dave knows this and has been told a hundred times to quit and get a full time job and one he hires on at, not through a temp agency. Dave is scared to change, if it was that bad I can't imagine anyone not quitting and improving their life. He's been given several job contacts but won't pursue them, I think he's afraid it will limit his coon trapping that makes him so much money. Keep doing what your doing and keep getting what your getting, only you can change your situation in life.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/24/21 11:56 PM

Dave, the answer is YES! And since you are not working 40 hrs/wk they only need to pay straight time wages.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 12:08 AM

I'm sorry but have you not looked into getting a different job yet ? Like seriously as much as you post about how crappy your job it seems like you'd have been tossing out applications left and right. I mean your sounds alot like my last job and after a year of putting up with that bs I made sure I had enough saved to tide me over two or three months and sent out a bunch of applications. Two weeks later I was in a pretty nice cushy job where I dont do half as much work for about $5 more. Even now I've made sure I have two other possibles lined up. I'm not super experienced in the world but seem to me if your not after retirement or something you should always try to have a fall back plan even if it's just moving somewhere with a slightly better work environment. Screw working for somone/somewhere you hate all your days
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 12:09 AM

cry
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 01:40 AM

Heck no they can’t make you work! Just sleep in and go back to work on your normal days and time. I wouldn’t let them tell me what to do. Stand your ground...just say NO!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 03:39 AM

Yup....do what Savell said... then you’ll get some Street Cred ....
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 04:26 AM

And the beat goes on.......

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:05 PM

Next job should not be work with metal , beat bad on pay an amount work had do for 4 years at 2 places, u could make more money work at Burger King or as a bldg clesner, I seen ad that hire for die setter experienced at $15.50 , that ridiculous for amount crap u put up with an have take, there no way in world if could do it I attempt it that place , I rember one start there an last few days, forklift drivers usally done in few days to few weeks
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:18 PM

The only applicable law that I (layman) am aware of is the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. It states that all employers that deal in interstate commerce must pay non exempt employees time and a half after 40 hours of work.

They can impose any hours they want; but, need to pay extra after 40.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
The only applicable law that I (layman) am aware of is the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. It states that all employers that deal in interstate commerce must pay non exempt employees time and a half after 40 hours of work.

They can impose any hours they want; but, need to pay extra after 40.

Or....over 8 a day. Its an either/or type thing.

One place I worked at payed overtime for anything over 8 a day but if we worked 6-8hr days, no overtime. That said, if we worked 4-10 hr days, we got 8hrs overtime pay.

My last job for someone else was a flat rate shop. There was no overtime at all. We worked 5-10hr days but only got paid for the pieces we finished so there must be several ways to set it up.

And Coonman.....there's only one person who can help you, and that's YOU. Complaining here for a couple years won't help one iota.

Posted By: white marlin

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:39 PM

one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
[quote=T-Rex]The only applicable law that I (layman) am aware of is the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. It states that all employers that deal in interstate commerce must pay non exempt employees time and a half after 40 hours of work.

Or....over 8 a day. Its an either/or type thing.

The federal law says anything over 40 requires time and a half, no mention of hours per day. Your state might have something different.

I've worked 10 hour shifts for 25 years and don't get overtime until we are over 10.

Dave, the fast food joints up here are advertising up 16 per hour starting.

Posted By: hippie

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:50 PM

Didn't think of that!

Laws could be different depending on the state.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 05:52 PM

Next job should not be work with metal , beat bad on pay an amount work had do for 4 years at 2 places, u could make more money work at Burger King or as a bldg clesner, I seen ad that hire for die setter experienced at $15.50 , that ridiculous for amount crap u put up with an have take, there no way in world if could do it I attempt it that place , I rember one start there an last few days, forklift drivers usally done in few days to few weeks

.....then ummmmm ....like why not go work at burger king ? Seems like their always hiring and if your current job is so bad .....
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 06:46 PM

In this area everybody is hiring. The place I work cannot find enough "good" employees so they are filling spots with bodies because we are so busy.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 06:56 PM

Good employees don't complain. They move on if their unhappy. Asking for a raise isn't complaining.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 07:16 PM

Wolfdog91. Lot of good advice in your first post. Some people just like to complain and think they are victims.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

.....then ummmmm ....like why not go work at burger king ? Seems like their always hiring and if your current job is so bad .....

.. just a guess....but probably cause Burger King make do lot bad thing like work with hot grease lol
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 08:09 PM

How about going back to COLLEGE and be a Court Stenographer .

Oh, I could just picture a Lawyer asking the Judge to read back to the Jury, what the Court Stenographer typed out !!! ROFLMAO!!!
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 08:11 PM

Cry that you don’t make enough money, then cry when they offer extra time to make more money.

Bless your heart Dave, bless your heart...
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 09:55 PM

If anyone wants to start a gofundme. I have to drive by his town tomorrow on my way to Davenport, I could drop off some tissues or job applications.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Cause he would go to the window and say" You frech fry ketchup want coke sauce burger bun".Hows the customer supposed to answer that? grin

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 10:21 PM

You guys are harder on him than you are on the anti-american here.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

I’ve read hear and there on Trapperman forum that trappers are the greatest people.Scratching my head on that one!!!
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/25/21 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty

I’ve read hear and there on Trapperman forum that trappers are the greatest people.Scratching my head on that one!!!

I suggest reading through about 2 years of Coonman220's posts and get back with us...Heck 1 year, that should do it. I never thought he was a living breathing personality, I figured he was another member trolling....But I was assured he is real.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/26/21 01:00 AM

Dave, find a job you like and send me your information. I will write your resume and complete your application and you will be working full-time, with benefits at the fast food joint of your choice for $15/hr and free meals by next week. Nearly every employer here gets 50 job applications a week but nobody shows for interviews because unemployment pays more. There has NEVER been a better time for a fella like you to land a job! If you can fog a freakin' mirror, you can have a full-time job with benefits. Fire your employment agency and hire a resume writer!
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/26/21 01:04 AM

I work in a rather larger factory. From time to time we have temp workers come in to do work for us. They might work with us a couple months or a couple years. The temps are used to take some of the work load off of us. They also work full time, tho I am sure they have jobs that are part time. When the contract runs out they go to a different area of the plant that they have contracts in.

Not sure how it works with the temps agencies but we get overtime for any time we work outside of our normal shift. We work 12 hour rotating shifts. If I stay over two hours I get time and a half even if it is on our 36 hour week.

Also, they can not mandatory us with less than a weeks notice. I think this might be a company thing.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Question about labor laws - 04/26/21 01:19 AM

Are you married Coonman? Read somewhere that it's the lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums