Home

Ford 2N's

Posted By: Alex the dog

Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 06:11 PM

Last week purchased two non-running Ford 2N's from a local estate. Hauled them home and started going thru the one that last ran. I had planned on making a summer project to get one of them running but once getting under the hood I don't think I can wait until end of summer to hear it run!

Anyone else have experience with this iconic line of tractors?

Dave
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Newt

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 06:23 PM

What year is it?
Posted By: headache73

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 06:48 PM

Just sold my 8N last year. Good little machines, unless you need live PTO

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Newt
What year is it?

I believe a 1944 for the one on a trailer and 1945 for the one I am tearing down.

Electrical isn't my strong point so these units look pretty straight forward when I looked at a wiring diagram.

Found a "bonus" ant colony below the coil.

Dave

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 07:25 PM

Cool and you got a trailer in the same color ... Classy. I think them ants are trained by uncle Henry and are the guys that start the thing. The coil capacitor is there just to wake them up on cold mornings.

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Cool and you got a trailer in the same color ... Classy. I think them ants are trained by uncle Henry and are the guys that start the thing. The coil capacitor is there just to wake them up on cold mornings.

That's funny! Trailer actually came from another estate I had the chance to pick thru before it was cleared out. Have not found any more ants in it but quite a few walnut hulls so the squirrels claimed residence at one time too.

Dave
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 07:57 PM

Those rear tires look like they have some good rubber on them...Big plus!!

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 08:31 PM

Whats a 1937 9N worth running orginal paint.front bucket. Kept outside its whole life iI beleave
Posted By: 080808

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 09:05 PM

I have an 8N. May be different but timing is soooooooo important.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 09:33 PM

I have 4 - 8 N 's now ...easy to work on and parts are readily available...
Fun tractors to drive and show ..
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 09:36 PM

What's the plan for the paint? I'm sure if you're like me you won't be able to sleep at night until you get it runnin'. I'd like to hear the story on the Trump sign too.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/26/21 09:53 PM

Whats a 1937 9N worth running orginal paint.front bucket. Kept outside its whole life iI beleave

9n came out in 39. 2n in 42, and 8n in 48. If it sat outside since 39 can't be much paint left is there? If it runs good and loader works $1000 to $2000 depending on tires, and condition
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 12:01 AM

My Dad owns one Dave. He bought it used back in the 1970s and still going strong.

It is the tractor I started driving on.

Brian

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Those rear tires look like they have some good rubber on them...Big plus!!

On the '45 tires are pretty good, on the 44 rears are weather checked but hold air, fronts are shot so looking for some used 19" motorcycle tires to put on so I can roll it around for the time being.

Dave

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
What's the plan for the paint? I'm sure if you're like me you won't be able to sleep at night until you get it runnin'. I'd like to hear the story on the Trump sign too.

From what I've read those years came as battleship gray so somewhere down the line I would like to get the '45 back to that. The '44 is missing a generator and steering box has some issues, not sure of hydraulics on either. If I can get both running will likely sell one to cover further work on the other.

As far as the Trump sign goes I put it up Fathers Day weekend and 3 weeks later in the dark of night a person or persons needed to trespass and express their opinion on the sign. One local politician offered to replace it for me but I chose to leave it out there for others to see. It did lead to some good conversations with strangers that would stop if I was cutting lawn or working in the flower bed up by the road. Both Trump supporters and some not. Regardless of what position they had, I thanked them for stopping and having the courage to talk face to face.

Dave

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
My Dad owns one Dave. He bought it used back in the 1970s and still going strong.

It is the tractor I started driving on.

Brian

That is pretty need Brian! Hopefully some day you can own it and keep it in the family.

After I brought them home my Mom came over and told me her and Dad had bought one shorty after getting married and sold it to a cousin before they bought a Leyland tractor in '72 that I now own. Never knew that about them and need to talk to that cousin!

Hope to see you on the 16th in Reedsville.

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 02:08 AM

Have a ferguson to-20 that looks very similar, good luck with your project.

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 10:07 AM

Well drained radiator and removed for easy access to inspection nut on oil pump. Lots of crud in radiator so will try flushing with water to clear out. Any advice on how to remove the crud would be appreciated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 10:53 AM

^^^^^^^
Take radiator to a radiator shop and have it 'boiled/flushed out' and flow tested. Affordable , about $20. They will also pressure test it for leaks. Any leaks can be soldered up for additional costs. Some better equipped auto parts houses with a machine shop offer these services too.

Done this on many a automobile.

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 11:16 AM

My mistake 1939

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
^^^^^^^
Take radiator to a radiator shop and have it 'boiled/flushed out' and flow tested. Affordable , about $20. They will also pressure test it for leaks. Any leaks can be soldered up for additional costs. Some better equipped auto parts houses with a machine shop offer these services too.

Done this on many a automobile.

Thanks Cragar, will look up a local shop and see what they can do.

Dave
Posted By: Owen

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 03:45 PM

You lucky dog. Very easy to work on. I usually buy my parts from Yesterdays tractor.

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 04:04 PM

I don't know what's the hold up. I'm ready to see it up and running. Maybe by the weekend??? grin

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 04:26 PM

I don't know what's the hold up. I'm ready to see it up and running. Maybe by the weekend??? grin

Ha! I did run jumpers direct to the starter last night to check if it would engage and it did. Also pulled the Marvel Schebler TSX33 carb off to go thru and clean it up. Won't have much time until next week to get back at it due to keeping a good family / 2N project balance grin

Dave
Posted By: gcs

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 10:51 PM

Those things are pretty easy to work on, basically need a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, lol
You'd be surprised how well they can run with no maintenance ,sitting outside for years...

Only piece of 80 year old technology where you can usually still remove the nuts off the bolts and get to reuse both.... grin
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/27/21 11:50 PM

I guess he is out brush cutting with the thing

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/28/21 12:33 AM

Some inspiration for ya Alex (found on the internet, not my picture)...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/28/21 03:44 AM

Very cool! ^^^
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Ford 2N's - 04/28/21 01:02 PM

This thread needs more pictures!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums