Home

Eggs $.92/dozen today

Posted By: charles

Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 02:50 AM

Saw eggs for .92 per dozen. Assuming carton costs maybe .05-.10, can there be any profit at this price? How much would it cost to feed 12 hens a day? Then there is freight, labor, and a middle man, and some breakage. Bad time to be in the egg business.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 02:59 AM

I sell eggs like crazy for 1.00 a dozen.

The eggs pay for my feed.

I have 50 laying hens

I buy 100 lbs of mash 200 lbs of cracked corn and 100 pounds of whole corn a month and they free range

I have 60 pullets right now eating 50 lbs of grower every 10 days
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:01 AM

Right now Aldis is up to 77cents a dozen. One of the cheapest foods there is.
Tom
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:08 AM

At $1.00 per dozen and now corn well over $6 per bu. and soybean meal well over $400 a ton they won't stay cheap for long or they will get in short supply which will raise the prices. Shortages of many commodities and items showing up quickly as the economies ramp up.

Bryce
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:11 AM

Economies ramping up? More like the money supply has been artificially diluted. Hang on boys.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:13 AM

[Linked Image]

I get 3,50 a dozen....all day long up here in the Northeast.

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

I get 3,50 a dozen....all day long up here in the Northeast.

I could get more but I just enjoy my chickens so as long aa they pay fo theirr feed im happy

Some people spend their money on beer...cigs..or an elk hunt...with no rreturn.

Least for now my girls are holding there own
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by cathryn

I have 50 laying hens

I buy 100 lbs of mash 200 lbs of cracked corn and 100 pounds of whole corn a month and they free range

This reminds me of a shirt I saw at a convention years ago: "I'm a trapper....I spend $100 to make $50".
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:34 AM

Eggs are usually under a dollar a dozen here. Especially if you buy them by the flat like I do. Seen they were $7.50 a flat the other day, so $1.50 a dozen. Egg prices fluctuate, but I haven't paid that much for eggs in... well ever. The wife is talking about getting chickens at that price for eggs.

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by cathryn

I have 50 laying hens

This reminds me of a shirt I saw at a convention years ago: "I'm a trapper....I spend $100 to make $50".

How much do ya make on a case of beer or carton of cigs or a preference point.lol

I look at it as at least my habit breaks even
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 09:42 AM

1.07 for a dozen and a half at local sav-a-lot all winter till now. Must be making money somewhere
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by charles
Saw eggs for .92 per dozen. Assuming carton costs maybe .05-.10, can there be any profit at this price? How much would it cost to feed 12 hens a day? Then there is freight, labor, and a middle man, and some breakage. Bad time to be in the egg business.

Same situation with milk. I think the last gallon I bought was $1.78 gallon. Cheaper than that some places.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 10:20 AM

I'd like to see $1.78 milk...eggs at the dairy have been at $0.99 for a couple years. Local dairy and local egg farm
Posted By: DWC

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 11:29 AM

Are eggs good for a person right now? The “experts” seem to go back and forth whether youll die sooner or live longer from them.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Economies ramping up? More like the money supply has been artificially diluted. Hang on boys.

Here is one of them. You do use the same dollar. LLL
Posted By: BobMo

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 12:06 PM

The money is made on the manure
Posted By: white17

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 01:35 PM

Little over $5.00 a dozen here
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 02:04 PM

That's why most commercial egg producers of scale have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of laying hens going each and every day. Entry level for large-scale commercial production is a quarter of a million birds. Local-to-maybe-some regional scale commercial operations can be done but that's not where most of the big-chain groceries are getting their eggs. I see "farmer's market" and others selling "farm fresh" eggs for $2-4 a dozen but the percentage of the population that will pay that is small. I wish I could find the 2017 Ag Census map showing the number of laying hens by county. The number of dark colors with the most birds is fairly small, maybe 50-100 counties out of the 3,100 total...
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 05:08 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wal-Mart , Kissimmee FL , December 2019
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 05:37 PM

Have heard it said that eggs are a loss leader in stores where there is competition. They sell eggs cheap....and maybe at a loss.....to get you into the store, where you buy other stuff that isn't so cheap. Around these parts, Walmart and Aldi have the cheap eggs. They also have expensive eggs ($5 doz+) right next to them. I sell the expensive eggs cheap.......$2.50 per doz....mainly cause it makes the math easy. $5 for 2 doz or $10 for 4.

People wiling to pay premium to buy mine, with rich orange yolks that have a distinct flavor vs. the pale yellow no flavor 90 cents a doz eggs. But I have heard of some folks used to the pale yellow eggs that can't stand the rich farm eggs.

Picked up 80# feed yesterday. New price is $10 per bag.....up from $8 a bag just a few weeks ago.

Corn and bean prices getting up into record territory. But most of the big layer operations would have locked in all prices for inputs and sales months, if not years, ago. Cheese won't get binding for another 6 to 8 months. Egg prices will have to go up by then if there is gonna be any eggs. Industry very cyclical and players are used to it.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 05:41 PM

There is a huge difference in quality of eggs, I am using large eggland's best right now. Was using their cage free but the best is really pretty similar to those for less$. I eat a lot of eggs.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 05:42 PM

I sell mine at a farmers market for $5 a dozen. Rarely take any home. I can tell you with my small flock and feed costs for them, less than that I'd be losing money.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 06:54 PM

have heard 2 bucks a dozen is breaking even on eggs
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/27/21 07:11 PM

The very large commercial producers have much of their production contracted out for volume and time period, just as they have their input costs paid for and contracted for volume and time periods. Running a couple million laying hens sounds ominous but if you have production contracted and input costs covered then the real changes come when the contracts need to be renewed and extended. As to retail prices, Grocers may use say milk or eggs as loss leaders to bring customers through their stores to buy the other items. That does not mean the producer or egg or milk broker is selling them eggs for those prices. Losing 50 cents to a $1 a dozen on eggs for specific periods of time is a business investment and fairly common practice. Probably 70% of the cost of producing eggs, poultry meat and even a market hog is feed cost. So yes the production cost for those items will go up substantially and we will see how much of that reaches the shelves of the retail outlets.

Bryce
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/28/21 11:48 AM

I collect about 1000 eggs a month, and sell them for $2/dz in So. IL and $4/dz in Northern Illinois. The eggs pay for the feed, plus extra. My wife and I have plenty for us as well. Even when I had 24 hens, the chickens paid for themselves with a little profit. Having automated feeders and waters save time, and time is money! I wish I had built my coop larger, but I'm making do with 50 chickens for the time being.
I'll stick with my farm fresh, free range eggs over the cheap eggs from Kroger. When you crack one in a skillet, the yolk sticks up nearly a inch and is bright orange versus the store bought eggs with flat dull pastel yellow yolks. And the flavor doesn't even compare.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/28/21 12:13 PM

People wiling to pay premium to buy mine, with rich orange yolks that have a distinct flavor vs. the pale yellow no flavor 90 cents a doz eggs. But I have heard of some folks used to the pale yellow eggs that can't stand the rich farm eggs.

Just about the same here when my bro and SiL had hens and I used to market some of the excess. Probably sold the most for $2.50 a dozen. My SiL on my wife's side is one of those people too indoctrinated into eating pale yellow, bland factory eggs. Others were freaked out because my blood had roosters running with the hens. I never had an issue with them. Alas, those days are gone, for at least now.
Posted By: coalbank

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/28/21 12:54 PM

Cathryn, that is at best a very tight budget. I have 50 hens and they eat considerably more than 4 dollars a day of feed. We ask 3 a doz and that is cutting it close. 165 chicks just hatched and the feed just jumped 3 bucks per bag.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Eggs $.92/dozen today - 04/28/21 01:26 PM

Chickens will pick a beaver carcass clean in no time. Lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums