Home

Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo

Posted By: Providence Farm

Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 03:29 AM

I put my swarm traps out about a month early this year. I have out 5. 3 on my farm all a few hundred yards apart in locations that have caught swarms before and 2 are over 100 miles away one at a friend by my job the other at my wifes grandmother's house. My friend had a swarm land in his yard last year and my wife grandmother has a swarm in her house that threw a swarm last year and they bring in bees all the way around them for the melon crops. Both great locations. I'm going to try my first cut out at her grandmother's this year when they replace the siding.

Today my friend sent me a clip of bees in the one at his house and I checked the 3 on the farm for the first time in 4 day and one is seeing a lot of activity and they are all ready taking in pollen. No action on the others yet.

If things go well I just went from 2 hives to 4 and swarm season is just starting. I may expand up to 6 or 8 hives this year. Its pretty exciting for this 2and year bee keeper. I traped my current bees last year and both hives survived and are looking great This year so far. Probably just beginners luck.

This bee keeping can sure get addicting.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 04:32 AM

What does a bee swarm boz look like? Is it purple?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 04:53 AM

Thats pretty cool. Free bees. Congratulations. Your a well rounded trapper now. smile

I only caught one swarm, It was from my first hive. We don't have wild honey bees here .Wish we did.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 11:33 AM

Let a lady from church put some bee hives on my place.

I don't have to mess with them and they don't bother me.

I get honey for "rent" wink

Honey she gets out of the hives on my place is some of the best in the county according to her and the bee keepers association here
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
What does a bee swarm boz look like? Is it purple?

Mine are white but the purple box on your place dose look like it could be a swarm trap. Dose it smell lightly of lemon grass oil? Should be faint if so to much and bees wont go in. It's only a few drops on a cotton ball.

I would have opened it up and looked inside and see if it has hive frames inside.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 12:25 PM

I’ve caught a bunch of swarms in the last 50:years....the earliest I’ve ever encountered here in Pa. has been April 30th. Folks believe that a stretch of warm weather will promote swarming. To a degree, it’s kinda true...a swarm is more likely to emit on a nice warm sunny day. But the clock on swarming started more than a couple weeks ago, when worker bees began to develop new queen cells. Once the wheels are set in motion, it’s an unstoppable force .

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 12:27 PM

Hers a good swarm trap lure recipe...

https://www.keepingbackyardbees.com/lemongrass-swarm-lure-recipe-zbwz1807zsau/
Posted By: old243

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 02:03 PM

I checked one of my hives , the other day. Had capped queen cells . Split the hive into a 5 frame nuc with a frame of brood ,and a queen cell. With extra bees .Another cell into , a queen less hive. It is very early here, don't know if a virgin , will find drones yet. How long can they remain unmated, before being no good? I put out 2 swarm traps as well. Caught 2 swarms last year. Looking forward to better weather. Has been very backward, here. Interesting hobby. old243
Posted By: old243

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/27/21 02:13 PM

Regarding painted bee boxes. My daughter , also my bee keeping partner. Is the head nurse , in a long term care wing of our local hospital. The patients are always needing projects. She took a honey super in, and the patients are busy painting and decorating it. If they like doing it I have lots of hive boxes. to keep them occupied. I will donate the paint. old243
Posted By: PaRay

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/28/21 04:03 PM

I'm getting ready to put out my first swarm traps, are you using Swarm Commander and if so, how much?
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/28/21 04:10 PM

I'm curious of what is the common etiquette on trapping a swarm. Is it frowned upon to trap swarms near another persons hives? Are they fair game once they swarm?
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/28/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by PaRay
I'm getting ready to put out my first swarm traps, are you using Swarm Commander and if so, how much?

I personally have not noticed a difference between Swarm Commander and just Lemon Grass Oil. Location is far more important I believe.

We are a good long time away from swarm season here, though. The Dandelions just started to pop up here.

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/28/21 04:31 PM

Knew of two swarms yesterday in western Pa. It’s time.
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Its bee swarm season. Woo hoo - 04/28/21 05:01 PM

My Daughter and son-in-law picked up a swarm here in SW Missouri yesterday
© 2024 Trapperman Forums