Home

Moving to MN

Posted By: Weatherby270

Moving to MN - 04/27/21 10:13 PM

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new here - been lurking for a while but only recently made an account, and never posted. I thought this would be the best place to ask...

My wife and I are moving to Minnesota (Itasca county) this fall and I am trying to get everything figured out. Living in central Wisconsin my whole life, I have a WDNR hunter's education card from when I was a kid, and used that to get my CCW permit. I got into trapping recently and took the state's online trapper's education course.

From the sounds of it, I'll have to take some classes to get my MN CCW permit. Does anyone know if there is state reciprocity for hunter's education or trapper's education between Wi and Mn? Or will these be things I have to get "re-certified" for?

Any other advice/info on hunting, trapping, and living in northern Mn (is Itasca county considered "northern"?) would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Moving to MN - 04/27/21 10:38 PM

I grew up there. Can't tell you about all the law abiding things you were wondering about, but the fishing is good. Waterfowl and water trapping there is good too. Deer hunting will likely suck compared to where you came from.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Moving to MN - 04/27/21 10:40 PM

Please don't wear the purple. Lol
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Moving to MN - 04/27/21 11:08 PM

I believe hunter safety is recognized nation wide. I have used my MN card to hunt in ND and CO without issue. I also work with folks that live in WI and they seem to have no issue buying MN licenses.

Not sure about the trappers education course. I believe the regulations state you need 'a' trapper education course and says the MTA offers one. It doesn't seem to specify. Not sure how old you are but you only need one if born in the 90s or later. Also if you have a trapping license from a previous year it is supposed to exempt you from the requirement.

Yes I would consider Itasca County northern MN.

There should be some good bear hunting near where you will be and it should take less preference points than in WI although the number required keeps creeping up, at least where I hunt.

As said fishing should be good and deer hunting most likely not as good.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Moving to MN - 04/27/21 11:22 PM

Iff'n I were you, I'd migrate about 300 miles Southwest of your current destination. This state is controlled by a tryant!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 12:32 AM

Prayers sent.

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Please don't wear the purple. Lol
Never! Lol I'll be the one guy in town sporting green and gold.

Originally Posted by Jackdale
Deer hunting will likely suck compared to where you came from.
Unfortunately the land I always deer hunted near Shawano had a massive deer ranch built around it - 20 foot fences all around it. The deer hunting there has been garbage ever since. That same ranch brought CWD to the county too.

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Iff'n I were you, I'd migrate about 300 miles Southwest of your current destination. This state is controlled by a tryant!
I wish I could - I'm moving for work.

Originally Posted by Nate L
I also work with folks that live in WI and they seem to have no issue buying MN licenses...
Thanks for the info! That sounds promising.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 12:54 AM

Yep...What I was thinking. Keep going till you hit the Dakotas and live free....well free-er anyhow.

That said MN trapping regs are a lot more user friendly compared to WI...depending on what you trap and method used.

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
That said MN trapping regs are a lot more user friendly compared to WI...depending on what you trap and method used.

When I first read through the regs I thought I must be missing something. There's hardly any restrictions... nothing like the 20+ page WI trapping regs booklet.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:11 AM

If you are moving to Itasca county you will be in a good trapping area or any outdoor activity area.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
Prayers sent.

^^^^^^^ What Jim said......
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 03:30 AM

Trapper Les wouldn't consider Itasca County northern MN lol.

Whether you need trapper ed or not depends on your age. Anyone after Dec 31 1989 has to complete a trapper ed class. I don't think MN recognises another states certification.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 05:38 AM

Why ?
Posted By: deerdragger

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 11:30 AM

I've lived in Itasca County since 2002 and I love it. The county has 1,000 lakes and an almost endless amount of public-access land (fed/state/county and papermill land). Living in an area that people travel to for vacations is a pretty good indication that you're living in a good area.

What part of the County will you be living? Grand Rapids is big enough but small enough. Wally World, Home Depot, Target - that sort of thing. There is also a pretty active arts community (if you're into that sort of thing) - with the Reif Performing Arts Center that is a gem.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by deerdragger
What part of the County will you be living?

Sounds like we'll be neighbors. We're moving to Grand Rapids - or at least near there. We were considering moving to Bovey, but with the alleged flooding risks, that may not happen.

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Whether you need trapper ed or not depends on your age. Anyone after Dec 31 1989 has to complete a trapper ed class. I don't think MN recognises another states certification.

That's what I thought. I was born after '89, so it looks like I'll be taking another course.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:17 PM

Minnesota needs more cheese heads! Just ask moosetrot
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Yep...What I was thinking. Keep going till you hit the Dakotas and live free....well free-er anyhow.

This^
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nate L

I believe hunter safety is recognized nation wide. I have used my MN card to hunt in ND and CO without issue. I also work with folks that live in WI and they seem to have no issue buying MN licenses.

Not sure about the trappers education course. I believe the regulations state you need 'a' trapper education course and says the MTA offers one. It doesn't seem to specify. Not sure how old you are but you only need one if born in the 90s or later. Also if you have a trapping license from a previous year it is supposed to exempt you from the requirement.

Yes I would consider Itasca County northern MN.

There should be some good bear hunting near where you will be and it should take less preference points than in WI although the number required keeps creeping up, at least where I hunt.

As said fishing should be good and deer hunting most likely not as good.

A friend of mine and me went to CO elk hunting. Neither of us had a firearms safety certificate. But, we both are firearms training instructors me over 10 years, him over 5 years. They wouldn't accept our cards showing we were instructors. That wasn't good enough they insisted on a firearm certificate. I was old enough not to need one, but he had to get one by going through a class that he teaches.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 06:01 PM

I'm guessing Cohasset or Bovey would be cheaper places to live than Grand Rapids. Fishing is good with a lot of opportunities and many nearly untapped small lakes. I got deer every year, but was not particularly picky. Can I ask what you do for work?

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by bfisch
I'm guessing Cohasset or Bovey would be cheaper places to live than Grand Rapids. Fishing is good with a lot of opportunities and many nearly untapped small lakes. I got deer every year, but was not particularly picky. Can I ask what you do for work?

I'm not picky about the deer I shoot either. I'm no trophy hunter, I just like to fill the freezer.

I've been looking at Cohasset and Bovey, I just keep hearing things about the Canisteo mine pit overflowing and flooding Bovey within the next few years. It sounds like an outlet has been needed there for almost 20 years, but they can't get anything going. The MN DNR page projects that it will overflow within the next 3 years... Don't know if I want to be somewhere that might be underwater soon.

As for what I do for work, I'm a teacher. Given my field, I'm pretty wary about things I say on the internet getting traced back to me, so I'll leave it at "teacher". I never say anything off-color, but who knows what will be considered off-color 10 years from now.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Moving to MN - 04/28/21 11:16 PM

I would think you could find a place in Bovey that would not flood. I grew up in the Blackberry area and enjoyed time on the Mississippi River. If you don't mind a longer commute, I also thought the Boy River area was nice, but we all have our own ideas of what we like and want. If I were to move, I would rent temporarily until I decided where I wanted to stay permanently.
Posted By: deerdragger

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 11:14 AM

Rental properties are far and few between - and crazy expensive - in this area. Another fairly obvious consideration would be what school district you want to be in if you have kids. I don't have an unkind thought about any of the local school districts, yet I will point out that Grand Rapids has the most modern facilities.

All in all, I'm confident that you are going to enjoy living in this area. There isn't any other place in MN I'd rather be.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 12:12 PM

THe Bovey area is nice and housing cheaper than right in Grand Rapids. Lots of places to live outside of town or on a lake. I can't imagine the town actually flooding, they would surely do something long before that happened, plus there is a lot of the town that is well above the water level.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 12:37 PM

Regarding concealed carry, yes, you will need to take a MN approved CCW course.
I hold both WI and MN concealed carry permits.
MN does NOT recognize Wisconsin's CCW certification because WI does not require "live fire" (50 rounds min) and MN does. I had to take a MN approved CCW class to be certified in MN.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 12:46 PM

Welcome neighbor. As others have said, the real estate market is insane right now. A family member is listing their house with 200 acres on Monday and it will likely bring $50-100k above the asking price. That is the way it has been the last few months. This area is a sportsman's paradise for sure. For "affordable" housing options don't overlook Hill City either. 15-20 minutes from Grand Rapids on Hwy 169 and far cheaper taxes in Aitkin County.
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 12:48 PM

I've spent a week or two a year in Itasca county for many years fishing since the mid 80's.. Looked at a couple cabins last year in the Marcel area as we are thinking about retirement closing in on us. Might just be summering in MN and wintering in South Texas.. We really like the area from Marcel up to north of Talmoon.. Bit of a drive back to GR, but would be a great country home type area.. Fishing is fantastic LOL..Obviously..
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hall

I've spent a week or two a year in Itasca county for many years fishing since the mid 80's.. Looked at a couple cabins last year in the Marcel area as we are thinking about retirement closing in on us. Might just be summering in MN and wintering in South Texas.. We really like the area from Marcel up to north of Talmoon.. Bit of a drive back to GR, but would be a great country home type area.. Fishing is fantastic LOL..Obviously..

Great minds think alike. I'd look north to the Marcel area as well.

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by deerdragger
Rental properties are far and few between - and crazy expensive - in this area.
That's what I'm quickly finding out. It looks like most of them are also 55+ communities or low income housing as well. We're considering an extended stay hotel or month-to-month Air BnB until we can get a house. At least that way we aren't locked into a year lease.

Originally Posted by TraderVic
MN does NOT recognize Wisconsin's CCW certification because WI does not require "live fire" (50 rounds min) and MN does.
Thank you, I'll have to enroll in one. It looks like I might be able to take a MN approved course here in WI before we move.

I started the MN online Trapper's Education course, and I gotta say, It's a heck of a lot simpler than Wisconsin's. The online course in Wisconsin is pretty long and comprehensive, but Minnesota's is pretty brief. I suppose Wisconsin needs it though, since their regs are more complicated.
Posted By: GUK

Re: Moving to MN - 04/29/21 08:48 PM

So many great places to live within 20 minutes of Grand Rapids....... choosing a place to live could be difficult.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums