Home

My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man!

Posted By: Finster

My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 08:23 PM

This guy is really lucky he is still breathing.

Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 08:42 PM

Ok I'm no gun expert but to shoot a 50 CALIBER BREAK down with a screw in breech plug is asking for it !! Yes and he got it. God was with him but the flimsyness of that whole gun design looks to be unsafe to me. 100 bucks a round? that's just stupid. And for what ? To kill a fire hydrant? But he doesn't shoot one of those anymore !!!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 08:53 PM

He is super lucky to be breathing. Wild story.

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 09:16 PM

my son was showing me this yesterday he explains very clearly in his video

the saboted armor pericng rounds were a limited run , he thought them to be un tampered with

however there is some history of the 308 version of this type of saboted round having catastrophic failure when the sabot fails and the tungston carbide projectile hits the barrel.

this guy knew that he had a clear barrel

he had found the previous bullet fired in the target

the screw breach is actually quite strong the manufacture stated to sheer off the treads as it did it would have had to exceed 85Kpsi it likely went well beyond that.and not only did it sheer the threads it took the tabs that endure it will not close unless fully in battery. one of those tabs ended up in his lung

the barrel is around 25 pounds and the breach is designed to be a more solid lock up than the Barrett

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 11:42 PM

What is the saying on here play stupid games win stupid prizes ? What and or Why does anyone need to hunt fire hydrants? Sorry but his whole video and fire arm is stupid. YES glad he made a second video showing what can happen if you play stupid games using stupid toys!!!!

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 04/30/21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
my son was showing me this yesterday he explains very clearly in his video

the saboted armor pericng rounds were a limited run , he thought them to be un tampered with

however there is some history of the 308 version of this type of saboted round having catastrophic failure when the sabot fails and the tungston carbide projectile hits the barrel.

this guy knew that he had a clear barrel

he had found the previous bullet fired in the target

the screw breach is actually quite strong the manufacture stated to sheer off the treads as it did it would have had to exceed 85Kpsi it likely went well beyond that.and not only did it sheer the threads it took the tabs that endure it will not close unless fully in battery. one of those tabs ended up in his lung

the barrel is around 25 pounds and the breach is designed to be a more solid lock up than the Barrett

That gun looks like the survival 22 that the components store in the stock. Most barretts I've seen look like their the size of a lawn mower. PLUS the piece that broke of looked like cast aluminum !!! Or some sort of pot metal. Cheap made . Why not just mount the barrel in a wooden crate and hit it with a hammer and nail. Sort ,like a cannon. !!.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 12:08 AM

Im betting when he was a kid he made pipe bombs and made zip guns.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 12:44 AM

Didn’t watch the vid,probably won’t.
Had a guy bring a 50 bull pup into the shop in Pasadena Tx when I was working there. Seems his 50 liked to break things. First it was the mount for the bipod, so I fabricated one out of steel that mounted to the heat shield same place as the original but with heavier fittings .
Asked him what he was shooting in it. Mill-Surp so I explained about powder granules being ground down by extended vibrations rideing around in military vehicles, causing a much faster burn rate thus higher pressures. Told him about pulling the bullets and sifting the powder out of the powder.
Couple of weeks go by he’s back, bipod mount broke the heat shield. My mount was a little stronger than OEM I guess. lol. Asked him about the sifting, said hadn’t got around to it. So beefed up the heat sheild and told him clean up his powder issues. Week later he’s back. The durned thing has sheared the bolt handle off the bolt. Actually part of the lockup in addition to the locking lugs on front of the bolt. Wanted me to weld it back on. Told him to take his toy to some other shop, that I wasn’t going to help him blow his head off.
Oh yeah the guy was a lawyer! Common sense? Not much!

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Didn’t watch the vid,probably won’t.
Had a guy bring a 50 bull pup into the shop in Pasadena Tx when I was working there. Seems his 50 liked to break things. First it was the mount for the bipod, so I fabricated one out of steel that mounted to the heat shield same place as the original but with heavier fittings .
Asked him what he was shooting in it. Mill-Surp so I explained about powder granules being ground down by extended vibrations rideing around in military vehicles, causing a much faster burn rate thus higher pressures. Told him about pulling the bullets and sifting the powder out of the powder.
Couple of weeks go by he’s back, bipod mount broke the heat shield. My mount was a little stronger than OEM I guess. lol. Asked him about the sifting, said hadn’t got around to it. So beefed up the heat sheild and told him clean up his powder issues. Week later he’s back. The durned thing has sheared the bolt handle off the bolt. Actually part of the lockup in addition to the locking lugs on front of the bolt. Wanted me to weld it back on. Told him to take his toy to some other shop, that I wasn’t going to help him blow his head off.
Oh yeah the guy was a lawyer! Common sense? Not much!

The last three sentences is all you needed to say. grin
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by WyFurHarvesters

Who didn't? and why would you not.
Posted By: Boco

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 03:39 AM

That guy is lucky,he could have wound up as a vegetable if that chunk of steel went into his heed.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 03:41 AM

Daaaang

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
That guy is lucky,he could have wound up as a vegetable if that chunk of steel went into his heed.

I think you have bumped your "Heed" many a time.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 02:16 PM

Who didn't? And who still doesn't?
Posted By: Ethan1234

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/01/21 03:45 PM

That dude was blessed by god

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ethan1234

Yes but not with BRAINS !!
Posted By: Mark K

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 03:05 AM

I was talking to a weapons expert today and he says that the Serbu is a POS.

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mark K
I was talking to a weapons expert today and he says that the Serbu is a POS.

I have heard the same thing. I looked into them awhile back. I didn't like the design and I also heard some horror stories about them. I think there is another one on youtube that exploded. I'll try and find the video.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
What Why does anyone need to hunt fire hydrants? !

Truth!

And why does anyone need to have a 25 round mag, or own a semiautomatic firearm?

And no one needs a handgun either, that's crazy talk!

Welcome to Canada my friend...

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 02:10 PM

Yes and of course the guy was going to blame it on the $100 round. NOT his bad choice to buy the POS gun

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 02:11 PM

Heck a mouse may have crawled into the barrel why he was field dressing his fire hydrant !! House wren looking for a nesting place ?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan1234

By God,Yes
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 03:43 PM

slap ammo is not designed for those type weapons, article I read said it was designed for a certain model machine gun.

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 04:00 PM

I think it was a combination of things.
1. Cheap firearm.
2. Old ammo not meant for that firearm.
3. Ignorance in noticing things going wrong beforehand. With ammo behaving the way that ammo was, it should have sent up red flags.

Anytime you are dealing with military surplus ammo, you should have a heightened sense of awareness. The military does some strange things with ammo especially when it comes to "specialty ammo" . In Vietnam, they even loaded ammo with (I believe) C-4 or some other high explosive and dropped it behind enemy lines. It was a tactic to hurt morale, instill fear and doubt about their own weapons and ammo.
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 06:00 PM

Years ago there was some Dominican 50bmg floating around that was extremely dangerous to fire. Whe you store ammo in a nonclimate controlled warehouse in the Caribbean, well...
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: My 50 Cal Exploded - One lucky man! - 05/02/21 07:19 PM

Made my first zip gun and hand Canon in highschool shop class. Had to leave out the firing pin on the zip and the touch hole on the Canon. Got great grades on both. Took em home doctored em up and shot em for years
© 2024 Trapperman Forums