Home

Fish Identification

Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:09 AM

Does anyone know what kind of fish this is? Found it and a few suckers and creek chubs in our creek. They were hanging around in groups inside holes in the bank that looked like where old underground streams were.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:12 AM

Idk, I've never seen a smallmouth fry...maybe? Hope you get your answer, I'm stumped!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:16 AM

Mudminnow.

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:16 AM

I don't think it's anything bigger than a sucker due to the creek only being like a foot and a half wide and around a foot or so deep where they were.

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:18 AM

JP that may be it.

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:20 AM

Yup it is. I catch millions of them each year.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Mudminnow.

Jurrasic Park is correct. It's a Mudminnow and probably a Central Mudminnow. At one point, I kept 56 species of fish and I used to go on trips to collect different species of native fish.

Keith

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:31 AM

How big do they get? Also is their primary source of food insect larvae and eggs?

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:35 AM

They get up to about 9” I’ve seen and kinda that same size as a trout. They survive very well in low oxygen waters. They’ll last longer out of water than other minnows. Very hardy!

Not sure what they eat.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 03:35 AM

Central mudminnow- https://www.lakesuperiorstreams.org/understanding/centralmudminnow.html
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 10:37 AM

JP nailed it.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 10:49 AM

In my experience they make terrible bait compared to an emerald shiner or even a golden shiner. Definetly a very tough fish that can survive in conditions most others can't though.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 11:12 AM

They make a good bait if you can keep them suspended from the bottom with a bobber. We sold minnows when I was young and we kept the mudminnows in a wooden barrel buried within a couple of inches from the top. Filled with water it stays cool and a lid on top keeps it dark inside. No need to add air or running water. They are very hardy, but I agree with Michigander that other minnows are a better bait.
Posted By: corky

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 12:11 PM

Not the best walleye bait but smallmouth slam them here.
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 12:34 PM

I get several of them while scooping willow cats. Walleye love them like willow cats.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Fish Identification - 05/01/21 01:47 PM

I have a pile of them in my marsh. They sure are a tough little fish.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums