Home

Something got my neighbor's chickens

Posted By: greenetrapper

Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 06:13 PM

So my neighbor had 13 chickens. She forgot to close her Coop door last night. This morning there are feathers everywhere and two carcasses with the heads ripped off and 9 chickens missing. We have looked all over for the other chickens or any signs of other carcasses and have found nothing. What could do something like this.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 06:15 PM

Raccoons had chick-fil-A last night grin
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 06:21 PM

Dogs
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 06:22 PM

Any bird dogs around? My shorthair did this once and put them all in a pile by the back door. I kept telling the wife at the time not to let the chickens out if the dog was outside. Said she forgot they were out when she put the dog out only took about 15 minutes and we had 20 dead birds.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 06:30 PM

It was most likely raccoons from the description. Raccoons make a lot of repeat business for me. Mink make a lot of repeat customers for me too, but they don't do damage like that.

Keith
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 07:03 PM

Horrible....I can't say any more...
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/01/21 08:25 PM

and there were two.....I have not seen coons haul away 9 chickens - kill 5-6 or so yes but kill that many at once could have been several I guess but I'd guess more dog/coyote like - fox will get a couple and carry them away - seen 2-4 at a time and keep at it several days. 9 chickens your talking around 50lbs of packing.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 06:10 AM

Just a fowl deal.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 06:34 AM

I have had my dog run the chickens off once. Found them the next morning listening for the rooster to crow. Found them all scattered in the tall weeds and herded them home.
Might be some alive still out there. Try listening for them.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 12:25 PM

Just had a coon kill 8-10 and drag off all but 2. Ate the head off one and left the rooster dead whole. He wasn't a very big coon either. Probably 1 year old.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Just had a coon kill 8-10 and drag off all but 2. Ate the head off one and left the rooster dead whole. He wasn't a very big coon either. Probably 1 year old.

I don't like feeding the coons or opossum. Since they stay in premier 1 electric stop fence and the coop gets shut up at night I only have had 1 lost to hawks.
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 01:06 PM

Could be coons seen this happen before... Worth while investment... https://www.chewy.com/chickenguard-...Tgo2F9aeBqu1KJFVcVBUGTFoPWhoCGUsQAvD_BwE

Posted By: jtg

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 01:09 PM

Owl
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jtg
Owl

NO owl would kill one then leave . Bet some are still running loose but each night gone means less still alive.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Michigander

I don't like feeding the coons or opossum. Since they stay in premier 1 electric stop fence and the coop gets shut up at night I only have had 1 lost to hawks.

I only shut my chickens in when I notice predation issues. My flock is generally self refreshing this way. Gives me a good excuse to hatch more. My property is half a mile away from good habitat so I usually only have one coon a year that creates trouble. The road is far harder on them than predators.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 02:36 PM

My neighbor was losing chickens every nite blamed everything, No sign of lost fowl ended up catching 3 huge coon predation ended
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
My neighbor was losing chickens every nite blamed everything, No sign of lost fowl ended up catching 3 huge coon predation ended

Did the same thing, till the camera showed the truth...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jtg

Re: Something got my neighbor's chickens - 05/02/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by jtg
Owl

NO owl would kill one then leave . Bet some are still running loose but each night gone means less still alive.

Nope, Sometimes as you describe. Other times they will bite the heads off a few, take others. Set a live trap inside the door of the coop and you will know for sure.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums