Home

Shotgun reloader?

Posted By: trapperkeck

Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 02:11 AM

Back when I was a kid, in the 80's, we had a Lee Load-all shotgun shell reloader. Well, over the years, I haven't loaded any and my brother sold my reloader. I am getting back into trap shooting an want to reload. I never had any trouble with the thing, is there any reason I shouldn't buy the new Lee Load-All 2? I have a bunch of 20 gauge Winchester AA hulls I would like to load. Any suggestions on powder or wads?
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 02:35 AM

RXP20 wads

Green dot powder

I'd be happy to trade primers and wads for any powder you want to part with.

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 02:46 AM

I am seriously considering dumping my 20 ga in favor or a 28 gauge.

If (big if in today's market) I find my new shotgun, I would have a MEC 20 gauge Sizemaster for sale...Cheap.

Trap shooting requires a lot of ammo. Probably more than you would want to crank out with that Load-all. The Sizemaster might keep you satisfied for a while; but, if you get serious, you will soon want a progressive machine.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 03:31 AM

The Mec sizemaster will produce more uniform loads and faster too. I’ve used a lee load-all for 12ga. field loads it will make shotgun shells but felt flimsy
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 11:14 AM

Mec 9000g or if you want to spend some money get the 9000h
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 11:41 AM

I run 4 MEC reloaders for 12 & 10ga, each one is set up for something different. I tried a Load-all once, and didn't like it. I didn't like the feel, nor the crimps it produced. I know MEC's customer service is outstanding too should you need any parts. I'm fond of Red/Green Dot powder for target practice while I prefer Unique, Steel, and Blue Dot for hunting purposes.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 12:09 PM

I'd go with a Mec reloaded also as for powder I'm a fan of 700 or 800 high score and get the universal charge bar also .
I'd load up 200 - 500 trap loads in nothing flat or Winchester double A bulls to Federal paper bulls but with paper remember if you see a pin hole in the side of the hull toss it in the garbage don't reload it again .

Allan
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 05:47 PM

Just don't reuse the SAGA hulls. In the 20 gauge the diameter of the shell is about .010-011 large than a Remington or Winchester. Plus their .030 longer.

Not easy to load or extract. A buddy of mine found out what happens when you buy CHEAP EU ammo.

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
... I'm a fan of 700 or 800 high score....(strike out by T-Rex)Allan
I'm too lazy to do the research right now, but don't believe the 700x is suitable for 20 gauge. I do love it for extra soft low recoil 3/4oz 12 ga trap loads, though.
Posted By: Chukar

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 08:44 PM

I have loaded over a 1,000 rounds with a 20 gauge Load All, no issues ever.
My preferred game load is with Unique, which I use for my .38 spc. also.
I also have 2 Mecs, 12 and 20 gauge.
The Load All is used mostly now for buckshot and 3" loads, because it is very easy to switch.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 09:52 PM

Dillon makes some cool stuff.
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/02/21 10:59 PM

I can load a box of shells in about 15 minutes with the MEC 600. Using my MEC 9000G I can produce a box of shells in 3 minutes. I have 2 600 presses, a 12 and a 20 that are used for working up loads and any thing out of the ordinary that I won't need many of. For my Sporting, Trap, and Skeet loads in 12 and 20 I use a pair of 9000G presses. My three kids and I go thru a LOT of shot shells. The 12 is over 30 years old and has been rebuilt once. The rebuild cost me $125 including shipping. I do not use the universal charge bars as I found them to be very inconsistent with the powders I preferred at that time. I haven't found any drawbacks to the powder bushings.
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/03/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner
I can load a box of shells in about 15 minutes with the MEC 600. Using my MEC 9000G I can produce a box of shells in 3 minutes. I have 2 600 presses, a 12 and a 20 that are used for working up loads and any thing out of the ordinary that I won't need many of. For my Sporting, Trap, and Skeet loads in 12 and 20 I use a pair of 9000G presses. My three kids and I go thru a LOT of shot shells. The 12 is over 30 years old and has been rebuilt once. The rebuild cost me $125 including shipping. I do not use the universal charge bars as I found them to be very inconsistent with the powders I preferred at that time. I haven't found any drawbacks to the powder bushings.

I had the same problem with the universal charge bar and powder. It was horrible with green dot. I went back to the mec shot bar and bushings and never had any trouble.
Posted By: white17

Re: Shotgun reloader? - 05/03/21 03:14 PM

I too disliked the Universal charge bar with Green Dot.......so I switched to International Clays. Works fine and I believe the International burns cleaner than Green Dot

I'm using a very old 762 R Grabber progressive machine......20 gauge
© 2024 Trapperman Forums