Home

Does beam shape matter

Posted By: rattrapper1234

Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 01:18 PM

Does the curve of your fleshing beam need to match the curve of your knife? I made a beam that perfectly matches my cheapie knife but now I'm thinking about investing in a steinmeyer knife. Do I need to make a new beam now?
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 01:24 PM

In opinion not really, but you will see opinions all over the place on it

And if your serious about doing your own fur your money ahead getting one of Lee’s knives
Posted By: LDW

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 02:48 PM

Your knife only needs to contact 1 1/2 or 2 inches of the beam. Don't try to push more than that for best control. You will never regret one of Lee's knives, I own 2.
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 03:08 PM

LDW is spot on with his comment.. When i was scraping a bunch of coons I preferred a 6" beam vs an 8" as it gave me a better working surface I felt.. I started off scraping coons on a peeled poplar pole and the concept was the same, think the cushioning the hide provided on the pole was quite helpful actually.. FWIW..
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 03:15 PM

I used to think it matter more than I do today, but do agree with the 2 inch statement as to contact surface and thus a beam that gives one that amount of contact surface would be what you would want and how it is shaped to do that would be the goal.

Bryce
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 05:01 PM

No, it does not need too match the curve of your knife.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Does beam shape matter - 05/03/21 10:49 PM

When pushing and slicing your knife should just about be flat to the hide so the shape of your beam Is a mote point. Other then having the edges rounded off.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums