Home

ford mechanics ?

Posted By: il.trapper

ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 01:45 AM

2002 f-150 2WD. 4.6 L Titan.

She locked up on me Saturday. Won't turn a bit. Planning to replace the motor but was told I can't pull the motor with the Torque converter still attached to the flywheel. I can't see room enough to pull motor and tranny together. What are my options?

I have thought maybe pull the intake and possibly the heads to allow for enough room to lift the motor, take the pan off and loosen the main and rod bearings so I can turn it. Feasible?
Posted By: k snow

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 01:54 AM

Are you able to pull the cab off?
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 02:55 AM

Can't you just take the bolts out from the torque converter. That's the way I always did it. On older vehicles though. Then just pull the motor with the flywheel on it.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 03:00 AM

I've never only ever done.them in the shop, and pull the cab off to do it. It's super simple, and makes it way easier. Doing it in the driveway would be a different story though. Obviously if you can't turn the motor over, you can't get to the torque converter bolts, so either the convertor had to come out attached to the motor, or the engine and trans have to come out as one. You may be able to do one or the other by removing radiator, condenser, core support, etc. Strip the front end as much as you can, and you may have room to get them out together.

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 05:01 AM

wow......you fellas sure can cheer a guy up.....LOL

I don't want to have to raise the cab, but will I guess if I have to. Same with removing the entire front core support and all that.

I am really hoping to be able to get the pan off and loosen the bearings in hopes I can turn it then.

Two fellas told me the way the tranny is made in these trucks I would be really lucky to not break a piece off the tranny pulling the converter on the flywheel. going to see about just trading it as is tomorrow.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 11:16 AM

This may sound odd and loosegoose has probably seen this before too. But take the serpentine belt off and see if it will crank over. I had a 1989 GMC Sierra that would not turn over with the belt on because the alternator locked up. I was all ready to call the scrap yard till someome suggested removing the belt and tryimg again.

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I've never only ever done.them in the shop, and pull the cab off to do it. It's super simple, and makes it way easier. Doing it in the driveway would be a different story though. Obviously if you can't turn the motor over, you can't get to the torque converter bolts, so either the convertor had to come out attached to the motor, or the engine and trans have to come out as one. You may be able to do one or the other by removing radiator, condenser, core support, etc. Strip the front end as much as you can, and you may have room to get them out together.

That's what I remembered hearing from the Ford guys I talked to. I do remember having to lift the cab to replace o2 sensors on the Ford pickups.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 11:36 AM

Jug of gas and a match.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 11:37 AM

If that was here the rad support would come out since it was rotted and need replaced anyways.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, sensoritis over here too.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84
This may sound odd and loosegoose has probably seen this before too. But take the serpentine belt off and see if it will crank over. I had a 1989 GMC Sierra that would not turn over with the belt on because the alternator locked up. I was all ready to call the scrap yard till someome suggested removing the belt and tryimg again.

Yes,I've seen that. Customer says engine sounds like it's coming apart, locks up when it gets hot. I look at it and as soon as I open the hood, I see the AC compressor is torched. Remove the belt and it runs like a champ.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 12:17 PM

I had a 1997, same design. I was told if I had trans or engine replacement it is easier when you lift the cab. That is a dealer saying that.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 12:28 PM

Trade it in on a Dodge
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 12:32 PM

Just pull the Motor and Transmission together. Take the Front clip off the Truck atleast, so you can reach everything easily inside the Engine bay.
Posted By: live action

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 02:17 PM

x2
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 02:41 PM

Found
On
Road
Dead
Posted By: bluegrassman

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 02:58 PM

the alternator or ac compressor can lock them up like mentioned above but are you sure the starter isn't just bad? take belt off and try it. put a socket on crankshaft and try turning it by hand and see if it will turn. i've seen a couple of times where people thought the engine was locked up when all it was was the starter. those 4.6's are actually really good motors.

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 03:10 PM

Checked everything there is to check. It lost oil pressure and seized. I have done my share of wrenching, but quit in the 90's.

Ford has had this problem for years. They used to use fiber timing gears that when the fiber wore off it would clog up the oil pickup and sometimes the pump itself. Now with these motors they use fiber followers and tensioners and the same thing is happening. These also have a carbon gear in the oil pump that can go at any time.

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Checked everything there is to check. It lost oil pressure and seized. I have done my share of wrenching, but quit in the 90's.

Ford has had this problem for years. They used to use fiber timing gears that when the fiber wore off it would clog up the oil pickup and sometimes the pump itself. Now with these motors they use fiber followers and tensioners and the same thing is happening. These also have a carbon gear in the oil pump that can go at any time.

I think I'd rather have the self ejecting spark plugs.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: ford mechanics ? - 05/04/21 09:21 PM

It is for sure easier to do an engine swap with the cab off if you have the means of doing it. A halfway decent mechanic can have the cab off in under 2 hours and then everything is open and easy peasy to get to. Have pulled cabs on every model Ford pickup from 94 up and also pulled the entire bodies on expeditions, excursions, and E350 cargo vans to do engine swaps and other engine work. You should be able to pull the engine with the converter attached as log as you don't have too much of an upward bind on it as you separate the engine from transmission.
© 2021 Trapperman Forums