Home

Help for someone new

Posted By: rhighley

Help for someone new - 05/04/21 05:27 PM

Hello My name is Robert andI have ran lines for many years with my father while he did the bulk of the work, setting, prepping and the bulk of the skinning and stretching of the hides. He recently passed away in Feb. and I would like to continue the tradition but there were things that he didn't teach me. I am currently in a graduate school program that requires the bulk of my time but would like to to make sure that his traps and other things are taken care of. Currently I would like to try and get the traps set up to be stored until I can use them again, but I am not sure of the first steps to take or the proper products to buy to do this. He frequented this forum most only reading rather than responding so I though this would be the best place to come for the information I needed. Any and all suggestion would be appreciated. Most of the traps are for coyote along with many muskrat traps (conibears and footholds).
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 05:36 PM

Sorry to here of your dad's passing. As for storage of his traps, just clean them well at a car wash if they are dirty, let them dry completely and hang them or store them inside where they will stay dry. They will be just fine until you're ready to use them. No special treatment is needed for storage. When you're about ready to use them, come back and get some advice on dying and waxing them. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 05:37 PM

You are certainly in the right place! I am sure that folks will offer advice.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 05:43 PM

Sorry to hear about losing your dad. I lost mine a couple years ago, so I know how you feel.
ADC's advice is as good as it gets. I can't add anything more. Good luck to you!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Welcome to trapperman. Take ADC's advice. Hope to hear from you when you have a little more time on your hands. Take care
Posted By: rhighley

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 07:10 PM

Thank you everyone. I greatly appreciate it, I was under the assumption I would have to dye and wax to store them, glad that I came here to ask and I will be back when it is time to put them to use!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 08:11 PM

Welcome. Pull up a chair and your favorite drink.
Sorry got your loss.
Do ADC's advice. Also in the meantime read the archives as much as you can. Which is treasure chests full of great info.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Help for someone new - 05/04/21 08:13 PM

welcome , you might want to look at them from time to time to make sure they are not rusting to bad, but what adc said is spot on smile
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Help for someone new - 05/05/21 12:49 AM

Welcome
Don’t trust JP
He takes to many pictures of himself
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Help for someone new - 05/05/21 01:30 AM

If they have been used with antifreeze I would see about dyeing them before storage, otherwise cleaned and stored under cover is fine. I and a lot of others like to dye and wax before we store for the summer, which works great but isn't necessary. If you dye, wax and repair before you put them up then they are ready to go when you grab them in the fall, but they'll store fine without that as long as they are cleaned and hung out of the rain.

Conibears I would make sure the springs are fully released without the safeties on them, especially if it is going to be a couple years before you can use them.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Help for someone new - 05/05/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by grisseldog
Welcome
Don’t trust JP
He takes to many pictures of himself

laugh

He can trust me!!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Help for someone new - 05/05/21 04:39 PM

Any time someone says he can trust you he should automatically NOT trust you but to your credit I been serchin for recent selfies and I have come up with a big goose egg (boring).

To the OP- I too am sorry you lost your dad and hope you enjoy your time here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums