Home

What got you guys on T-Man

Posted By: Gone Trappin.

What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:35 PM

What got me on T-Man was when I was first getting into trapping last year and I started doing research online when I came across this website. I probably stalked it for 2 months before I joined it.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:37 PM

It's good to read and share information and pictures with a group that are all interested in the same thing.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:45 PM

Was looking for good solid information from serious like minded people, which then turned into a great friendly base to share and ask ideas about most anything.

Some times though you have to have a pretty strong back bone to read some of the stuff placed here though about anything, but this area (Trapper Talk) is for free thought not just trapping, which is a very difficult subject for a lot of people to grasp LOL
Posted By: Drifter

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:51 PM

Stumbled across it on accident when the chat was going strong. Felt at home more like around the fire like at convention.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:53 PM

I read and re-read everything I could find on this site for probably 2 years before I joined. Lots and lots of good info here.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
Was looking for good solid information from serious like minded people, which then turned into a great friendly base to share and ask ideas about most anything.

Some times though you have to have a pretty strong back bone to read some of the stuff placed here though about anything, but this area (Trapper Talk) is for free thought not just trapping, which is a very difficult subject for a lot of people to grasp LOL

What GG said
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 10:12 PM

I started hanging out here years ago because I don't get much time anymore for conventions or rendezvous so it's the best of both worlds.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 10:28 PM

Got on way back near the beginning.

Was a great place to share info and chat with other trappers across the country
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 11:22 PM

One winter when I wasn't busy enough, sitting around too much and somewhere between melancholy and depressed, I had the thought "maybe I should start trapping." I read boxes of hand-me-down American Trapper mags as a kid but had never done it. I started looking for info online and, of course, discovered T-man. I lurked for awhile before finding a thread I could contribute to (about construction, not trapping), so I made an account.

More than just a stellar resource on trapping, T-man has blessed me immensely as a community of mostly like-minded people.
Posted By: eric space

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/07/21 11:30 PM

Word of mouth at a trappers convention.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 12:05 AM

Can't remember the 90's had a stroke
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 12:14 AM

This site was and is a great place to learn. I started out with a dozen traps for my place. Now I have way too many traps, trap thousands of acres and am teaching my sons. I learn something here, in the shop and in the field everyday.

The archives, strictly trapping and fur handling forums are the real places to learn. This forum is just good for entertainment and sometimes meaningful discussion.
Posted By: WyFurHarvesters

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 12:51 AM

For sure not the politics
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 01:09 AM

Good way to learn, there is a world of knowledge on this site.
Never know what you can learn, everything from rust proofing your pickup frame
On down to better ways to catch critters
Make sure you share some pictures huh.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 01:28 AM

Boredonm
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 02:27 AM

Googled trapping forums
Tman came up
I lurked for a long time
Then joined, been here ever since
Except for the liberal traders on T man, it’s a great place, have learned tons of information
I’m really gonna miss Trapperman when it’s gone.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 02:31 AM

I can’t rememder....but Iam glad Iam here....
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 03:28 AM

It started out with me researching some traps but now of course I hang around for the memes and top notch medical advice. Oh and I've even made a friend or two over the years.
Posted By: Marty

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 03:36 AM

I was looking for trapping info, found that and salt of the earth folks to correspond with. Its been great, thanks ya'll.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 03:39 AM

Was looking for a place with like minded people still looking! LOL crazy
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 03:39 AM

found the site when I got into trapping had been wanting to trap for a while and life had gotten in the way so when my son was about 8 we took trapper ed together and got started.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 03:56 AM

Always loved the smell of skunk. Raised a red fox in the house like a dog. Had an older brother that got me into trapping in high school but always had "the bug". Got pretty deep into fur trade re-enactments for many years and dealt a lot of furs, beads, etc. to retail dealers for many years. Had my own shop for a while.

When my son was about 9-10 he developed an interest in trapping, soooo...got back into it. Picked up some traps and we started a muskrat line and did well. While surfing the net in the late 90's or early 2000's I happened on on a forum called Trapperman. Been here ever since. Fought a few battles here and there but overall I think this is the best bunch on the best forum on the internet.

I still love the smell of skunk.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 04:05 AM

Stumbled across this site by chance...love the back n forth!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 04:21 AM

I googled if trapping was still legal in Canada. This forum popped up and I joined right away. I was hoping to add another reason to be in the bush for more than hunting seasons.
Now I know everything! Like everyone else here lol.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 05:13 AM

Found this site about 2001 or 2. Not sure how I found it. There was another Alaskan on it and he had good info on posing pics. I was doing well trapping in western Alaska, and wanted to share info. Joined soon after and have enjoyed it ever since.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 05:19 AM

At a public outhouse I saw scribbled on the wall...."for a good time log on to Trapperman.com". The rest is history. laugh
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 08:26 AM

Got a cell phone from work(never have had a home computer) and was home figgeting with it and looked up something to do with trapping. This site came up, lurked for many many years. Then crippled my leg and had six months in a chair and read on it every day. Finally joined couple years ago. I like the mix of trappers on here always something new to learn.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 09:52 AM

YEARS ago found the forum through suggestion by Mr. Newt and Mr. Olson, and also Mac. I think we were on the trapping forum on Greybeard Outdoors and someone there was making fun of for me using #2 longs for coyotes. Like really giving it to me because i was (and still do). Really let me have it. I know what I do and what works for me, and they just wouldn't let it go. Mac and Newt said don't listen to them and maybe try this other forum trapperman. So I took their suggestion and came over here.

Paul runs a great shop, folks on here are genuine, and i just liked the info and comradery. Also like following the guys in Alaska on wilderness forum. Definitely not the staged TV crap on this site, real folks and real lives.

I was always a huge fan of Charlie Dobbins, still am, and I have a signed copy if his land sets and trapping techniques book. Its my Bible for coyote, coon, and cat trapping around here.
My copy is pretty well thumbed, worn, had to tape the binding back together several times. But I always reread it before each season. Amazing to find new stuff in it each year, too.

Huge fan of John Graham. Same with Marty at keg creek. Just lots of good stuff and real folks on here who get it.

Jim
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 10:03 AM

i was mentoring a young man and he got into trapping, because that what i did, he would come over to the trap shed an talk about this site , so I lurk for a while and finally join , some years ago ,
Posted By: MnMan

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 11:41 AM

I have always trapped but was continually seeking to learn new things and googled trapping information and found this site and lurked for years before finally joining in 2007. I am still learning and being entertained on this site and appreciate being a part of it all.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 12:53 PM

Its been so long ago, I can't remember why I am here
Posted By: rvsask

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 01:18 PM

I believe it was a google search on Fisher sets years ago. I lurked for a few Yrs before joining.
Posted By: cotton

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Stumbled across it on accident when the chat was going strong. Felt at home more like around the fire like at convention.

same here lol been here since 2000 now
Posted By: poconobear

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 04:58 PM

I’m a self taught trapper. You all have shortened the learning curve for me
Thanks to you all
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/08/21 11:23 PM

I was told about tman by a friend and checked it out. Stayed for the Savell slap tamin stories. Lol
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 02:00 AM

I thought it was a dating site.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 02:22 AM

The main instructor of my trapper ed course recommended Trapperman.com as a resource to further advance our knowledge.
He is a fairly prominent member here, although I haven't seen him post much recently.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 03:41 AM

I had some traps to sell...
Posted By: James

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I thought it was a dating site.

LOL! Classic!

I came here after I resumed trapping about twenty years ago. Found it on the internet.

We had no such resource when I was trapping back in the 1970s. Trappers were secretive about their methods, or sold information about them. I learned how to make a dirt-hole set from a pamphlet (advertised as a "book") I bought from E.J. Daily.

Jim
Posted By: LDW

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 12:23 PM

I stumbled onto than while googling something trapping related. I joined immediately and have enjoyed ever since. I believe I was recovering from back surgery at the time.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 12:29 PM

Got my first hand me down computer in think 1996?? Was trying to find info for up coming NTA in Rochester MN.. Can't recall if ended up on otter creek then linked to t-man or think it was link off NTA site? Either way ended up in chat on t-man with just several people there at that time.. Actually met couple people at NTA in Rochester but didn't realize it until was back in t-man chat later. One recall the most was Ray-A. He was sitting on tail gate of his truck playing guitar we were walking by. Stopped to listen and chatted with him just a bit..Couple days later was back in t-man chat realize was him LOL.
I had my son and one by buddy's son with me in Rochester. Made a point of going to see Charlie Dobbins do sit down question and answer.
Guess rest is history been coming here to t-man ever since. I really only site I go to regular even if only lurk at times..

Mac
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 01:00 PM

we didn't have a home computer at the time,,,so id go up to the local library and get on........I happened to run across trapperman while looking up various trapping sights.....it had to have been around 2000 or so, cant remember the exact year.....lots of faces and personalities have came and went on here since then. .........I kind of chuckle when some of the newer folks on here find out that i'm actually a 50 year old kid...that's been here for quite some time. paul did the trapping community a great service coming up with this site.................and what a community we have become.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 03:04 PM

I was sitting with a buddy in his living room after a day of trapping when he started laughing at a post on this site he frequented. I went and registered.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 03:45 PM

I was looking for information and stumbled on this place many years ago .
Posted By: cmcf

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 04:58 PM

Asked on lure and bait makers forum about prairie dogs in bait formulation.
Posted By: jk

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 08:53 PM

Was # 3110 long time back. Started on otter something trap site and it was cancelled, everyone there mentioned this and I got HOOKED......jk (my initials)
Posted By: Savell

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 09:04 PM

... I just looked and I’m member# 105 ... got on here because I saw Slim Pedersen was on here... I had his books and videos... so I registered and told him he was my hero and then I think he got mad at me lol

Then I started cuttin up and Mr. Paul didn’t run me off so I just kept hanging around lol
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 09:10 PM

I did for the fun. In the old days before the second ? Crash there was a lot of hummer on here..

( Nick naked in a cage with???) Lol

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 09:18 PM

I also thought if I sucked up to dobbins I could get a deal on his lure.
That worked out great, think I got kicked of.3 times after the new site....
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 09:33 PM

I saw an interview with Paul in the Trapper.

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
. I just looked and I’m member# 105l
So, that is member 105 after which crash??
Posted By: Savell

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 10:43 PM

. I just looked and I’m member# 105l

I don’t know... probably early 2000 for the crash I remember

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 10:54 PM

...probably early 2000 for the crash...
That number would not have carried over from subsequent crashes. Each crash started a new member number sequence. You may have been member number 1000, then happen to get on early after a reopening and become member # 10.

Current member numbers reflect those who joined/rejoined after the crash of 2006
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 11:51 PM

For money and laughs, still waiting on the money. grin

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 11:56 PM

To listen to Brent. Catwaker or something from Idaho
He was fun. Lol
Met him in OR. and he cooked food for everyone.. One heck of a nice guy.!

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/09/21 11:58 PM

Yancy. Now there was a great guy

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/10/21 12:00 AM

Zagman... The (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) you could learn from him....

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/10/21 12:01 AM

Mr Lennon,........

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/10/21 12:05 AM

Newt
Buzzard gave me a contract form that made me lots of money. Even when he did not like me.lol why would you not love me.....
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What got you guys on T-Man - 05/10/21 12:55 AM

I didn’t know how to run a computer in 2006..... and still don’t....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums