Home

Latest China junk you bought?

Posted By: Law Dog

Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 07:28 PM

I bought a 6 pack of oil filters for the Tacoma a year ago, Toyota changed oil and filters for the first couple years tuned out you need a special filter cup to get it off. LOL I bought Fram brand filters “Made in China” now not happy about that anyway I changed the oil today the smaller o ring is wrong sloppy loose. mad

So what wrong, junk or short lived treasures have you ran into recently that Made In China has blessed you with?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 07:32 PM

Fram Filters are about as bad as they get. You would e better off using an old sock.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Fram Filters are about as bad as they get. You would e better off using an old sock.

X2
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 07:37 PM

X2, One third of the Fram filters they cut the tops off, the element was not attached
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 08:09 PM

Bought a NLA chainsaw top end new on amazoon, CHEAP too.
Played mail man, cleaned parts, scrounged parts, reassembled,
primed it and started on half a pull.
Hardly any zip. Maybe needs to break in.
Ten tanks gas later I checked piston to head quench.
It was three times more than spec.
Cheap education if not counting my time.

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 08:50 PM

Its our own fault for the most part as folks just want cheap cheap cheap. And thats what we get. ..... I have a bras plaque that I made years ago on a CNC mill at work. On it is says.

CHEAP
FAST
GOOD
................ PICK TWO.

People keep wanting all 3 and thats just not going to happen in the real world for the most part.
I have that plaque hanging above the lathe in my workshop trailer and it has been thought provoking for a lot offolks over the years that have given the thing a good dose of looking at.

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 08:54 PM

I hate the use of American type names but the junk is made in other places.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 08:54 PM

Nothing lately, I try not too.
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 08:59 PM

Sometimes it's hard to find things that aren't made in China. I do what I can to avoid it.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 09:15 PM

I had the china boat from the local restaurant, does that count?
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 09:18 PM

Its our own fault for the most part as folks just want cheap cheap cheap. And thats what we get. ..... I have a bras plaque that I made years ago on a CNC mill at work. On it is says.

CHEAP
FAST
GOOD
................ PICK TWO.

People keep wanting all 3 and thats just not going to happen in the real world for the most part.
I have that plaque hanging above the lathe in my workshop trailer and it has been thought provoking for a lot offolks over the years that have given the thing a good dose of looking at.

Nah. It business owners that want the highest profit possible and also regulations that made things expensive to make here.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 09:34 PM

Sprung, no it's the people here, they want good cheap stuff and can't get either, but will not pay for American goods made here because they are cheap with buying it. People here don't care about regulations, government does because of liability suits affecting them. Share holders keep pushing for more dollar return as well, not a fan of china products however you do have to see where the dollar leads you !!

Soon as they learn that our stuff is top grade, out lasts anything from over there and get over the fact that it will cost them more because they choose to make more here, then things will get better.

Unfortunately, people like what they make here and are convinced they can make china cheap crap last by trying to back yard fix it !!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by rszwieg
Sometimes it's hard to find things that aren't made in China. I do what I can to avoid it.

X2

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 09:56 PM

There is money to be made and it’s easier to hide in the import system, the same people that told us paper was bad but plastic was better have been playing us all along. Follow the money.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
There is money to be made and it’s easier to hide in the import system, the same people that told us paper was bad but plastic was better have been playing us all along. Follow the money.

Yes, those plastic bags along the roads and in the trees and fences are SO much better than the biodegradable paper bags!
Posted By: rex123

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 10:38 PM

That's right CHINA makes nothing but crap on this hand but on the other hand I hope they buy our fur?
Posted By: charles

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 11:04 PM

My Ford dealer is cheaper than the quick change spots, so I have stuck with their Motorcraft brand of oil and filters. Forgot who makes them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 11:13 PM

Ramen noodles then I toss in some good old American venison.

Probably junk but I still eat em. Lol
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/09/21 11:20 PM

I go to what many would consider Ridiculous lengths ~ and some Sublime expenses, just to Not buy chingchong.

I regularly need kitchen utensils. I go on the bay and search for second hand. Good, old fashioned stuff from a Grandma's kitchen.

Recently bought a ladle.
[Linked Image]

There ye go. What? Few $ at Walmart? I paid £9.00, to England. It was made there. Then, nearly £12.00 in postage! €25.57 all told. Could have got the same, in town, for €5.00. I don't care. It's all down to Principles, is it not? Each man standing up for their own.

Got my beloved, Indian made serving spoon from USA. Few dollars. Paid shipping through the nose!!! $23.00, if I remember? grin Who cares? I make my curries with it ~ in my Italian made pans. And they're my pride and joy! grin

Anything but 'Made In China'. China is a cancer.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 12:32 AM

Duke pro 650
Posted By: SleekOtter

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 12:33 AM

Anything Craftsman. Talk about gone to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) in the last 20 years. It's all we had I the house growing up and there were no issues. As I got older I acquired more Craftsman products and the next one is wimpier than the last.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 01:02 AM

I dont understand the economics behind paying a bit more for quality items rather than saving a few bucks and having it fall apart within a few uses. I have no problem shelling out for quality but its getting harder to find. I get a lot of older USA made stuff at estate auctions.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 01:02 AM

When I was a kid in the early 60’s, Japanese stuff was derided as being cheap and poorly made. Everything from toys to cars. A cheap tool was called a Jap wrench. In time, the quality of Japanese products went up, and in a few instances, surpassed the quality of some American made goods. I think it’s gonna be a while before anyone sees an improvement in the quality of Chinese products.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pest's Dad
I go to what many would consider Ridiculous lengths ~ and some Sublime expenses, just to Not buy chingchong.

I regularly need kitchen utensils. I go on the bay and search for second hand. Good, old fashioned stuff from a Grandma's kitchen.

Recently bought a ladle.
[Linked Image]

There ye go. What? Few $ at Walmart? I paid £9.00, to England. It was made there. Then, nearly £12.00 in postage! €25.57 all told. Could have got the same, in town, for €5.00. I don't care. It's all down to Principles, is it not? Each man standing up for their own.

Got my beloved, Indian made serving spoon from USA. Few dollars. Paid shipping through the nose!!! $23.00, if I remember? grin Who cares? I make my curries with it ~ in my Italian made pans. And they're my pride and joy! grin

Anything but 'Made In China'. China is a cancer.

I like the way you think. You are absolutely right.

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 01:51 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a new skills .. the Mag77. One would think its an American icon of a saw. Guess what, the darn thing is made in china. So I thought.... hang on, Bosh makes a very similar saw, and thats a decent German brand. ... Its made in the same plant in China than the Skillsaw. Sometimes ya just cant win. But I try not to buy Chinese if I can help it and will not shop at Wally world or Target and a few others. But it aint easy getting away from the Chinese stuff at times.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 02:12 AM

I got the China virus back in February for free but it was still over priced
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 02:34 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a new skills .. the Mag77. One would think its an American icon of a saw. Guess what, the darn thing is made in china. So I thought.... hang on, Bosh makes a very similar saw, and thats a decent German brand. ... Its made in the same plant in China than the Skillsaw. Sometimes ya just cant win. But I try not to buy Chinese if I can help it and will not shop at Wally world or Target and a few others. But it aint easy getting away from the Chinese stuff at times.

I wanted a set of digital calipers... With the intent of being able to set them and zero out at that setting. My first thought was Starrett, USA made precision instruments.

Nope. Made in China. And still well over $100.

So I bought a set of Hornady digital calipers... Probably made in the same dungeon by the same children that make the Starrett ones, but they were there and half the price. And I was already PO'ed and anxious to get out of town.

I'm sure I'll be sorry at some point. Should've held out and bought a set of Mitutoyo digitals... Made in Japan, but good stuff... Not filed out of Chinesium by the children of the lowest bidder. But if all else fails I still have my Brown & Sharpe dial calipers.

If you know you're buying crap you might as well pay as little as possible.

Mike
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 02:44 AM

I bought the wife a set of bone China, made in England. Definitely not junk.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 07:31 AM

I bought my brother a $120, 52cc Chinese chainsaw for Christmas so he'd stop borrowing my Husqvarna xp grin so far so good.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 11:59 AM

I ate crab legs at a Chinese place and it turned out rather crappy for me
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 12:21 PM

I ordered parts for my truck online knowing they were made in china. They were 1/4 the price that Napa wanted. I was told by some that I should get the Napa parts because the ones online are just white box parts made in china. I did end up needing a unexpected part and went to Napa to get it, they literally handed me the part in a white box labeled made in china.

I have recently started operating under the principal that if I can't find anything other than a chinese product, I am at least going to spend as little as possible on it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 12:21 PM

I have a big problem with people who buy American flags that say Made in China on them. Oughta be illegal to even sell them
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by Pest's Dad
I go to what many would consider Ridiculous lengths ~ and some Sublime expenses, just to Not buy chingchong ......

I like the way you think. You are absolutely right.

Thank you.

Re: Latest China junk you bought? - 05/10/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
I got the China virus back in February for free but it was still over priced

And it did not last long like most things from over there ..right ??
© 2024 Trapperman Forums