Home

Bird #2 only took a month.

Posted By: Law Dog

Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 04:27 PM

A month to the day 1st bird April 10 then I hunted MO for a week and have been to the Black Hills 4X so far in between then and now, picked up my 2nd bird today done by 6:15 came right in no hens or jakes all alone to the top of the draw. I was surprised how few gobbles I heard at sunup, heard other birds but none were close but this one was 100 yards from the top of the draw.

Good thing he was at the top as I was not chasing gobbles in those thick, steep draws as it always ends up in the flats later in the day often.

Not a bad bird 19.5 lb 3/4 in spurs and a 9 in beard thick by SD standards most are pencil thick.

[Linked Image]

Good thing he came out of this jungle as I did not plan on going in that mess, good cat country.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 04:39 PM

That looks like Nice country to Hunt or Trap in. Persistence pays turkey hunting when its tough.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 04:45 PM

Good job! Looking at that country, you earned that bird all right!
Posted By: bass10

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 05:11 PM

You got your moneys worth out of that second tag, great job! I love those beautiful birds.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 05:30 PM

Good for you Jerry.

I would have stayed out of that jungle too.... unless it was closing weekend, or I hadn't gotten one yet.

Sounds like you weathered a tough season.

Pete
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 05:31 PM

Way to go, LawDog! I have a tag for this week. Hunted 3 days last week and heard a total of 3 gobbles in the distance and no shots at all. Hunted Saturday and did not even hear a gobble! My new fat tire e-bike is working out well!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 05:35 PM

You sure worked for that one! Sure is a purdy lookin bird. Good hunting
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 06:51 PM

They seem to get easier here in the last season. Hens are all on the nest or move off to lay quickly after leaving the roost. If one gobbles when it leaves the roost he is often times a dead bird walking. Good job. LLL

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 07:09 PM

Fifth trip to the Black Hills coming up just need a few good days in a row before I book a room again, they need to disperse one of these days. LOL
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/10/21 11:38 PM

Congrats Jerry!
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 01:03 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 02:44 AM

Way to persevere Jerry!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 02:51 AM

Good deal man! On the way home from NM...I’ll never hunt the end of season out there again.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 02:57 AM

Congrats !

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Good deal man! On the way home from NM...I’ll never hunt the end of season out there again.

I’m hoping for a change before the end of our season not sure if I’ll hit the last week or go back next week to the Hills just waiting for the 10 day forecast. Looks wet out there at the start of next week.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 03:13 AM

Our weather was great, birds were just tough. They are henned up bad. Gobble on the roost and ghosts after flydown. Averaged 7 miles a day and 180 floors climbed a day.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 09:17 AM

WTG cuz .
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 12:00 PM

Nice action! Gregory, Brule, or Charles Mix if you want to say...

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Nice action! Gregory, Brule, or Charles Mix if you want to say...

Gregory CO is always better in May as April had them bunched up in the thick cover in past years there.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Bird #2 only took a month. - 05/11/21 02:05 PM

we were out Sunday , we had so many gobbles 4-5 in succession just 75-100 yards out over the rise where we could not see then boom gone all at once , we figure we called in a coyote the way they shut down and headed 200 yards further off once we went and looked over the hill

2nd stand we did call in a coyote for sure and that shut that down

3rd stand the tom was coming when a hen came in from behind us , saw us and flew over us and walked him off

4th stand we hit that area from the far side 2 toms one started across the field and the wind had picked up enough he looked like he was blowing around and decided to stop

had toms gobbling back at calls till 11 in the morning when we decided we had to do other things
© 2024 Trapperman Forums