Home

Street repair

Posted By: coonman220

Street repair - 05/11/21 03:46 AM

Next summer they tear. street out, no worse any other street town, not bad shape,I think the millionaire on block want new street an make hard me an 2 others, in 17 months have awful bill,partial portion bill for curb an water pipes ,$4-$7 $$$$0, unknowen till next year the cost plus not use driveway weeks , I don't get way town went about it , so residents pay, but if no refinance an no $$, they send on to county on taxes, mortgage loan go way up, ,escrow acct, $300 plus month, not happy about it, show to watch where move
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 03:55 AM

I wouldn't worry about it . In 17 months when the bill is due , you'll prolly already be dead from working at the racist death factory.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:04 AM

Hmmm that sound be on the dot town or county to foot the bill. The main lines (upto the meter) are the city's, if they have bust that or driveway they should foot the bill.

Years ago they wanted to widen the road in front of my childhood home and the city used emmanent domain to take about 15' + wide section of the yard and sidewalk area.

Usually stuff like this has a notice of permit posted with contact info, for those who would like to voice opposition. I would suggest you and the neighbors use that to oppose.

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:08 AM

I don't know who to opppose it to, city clerk say they don't want property tax go up an want do things there way , I don't know what can do about it , hire attorney an very expensive an maybe do nothing can do , if I don't pay bill next year later, they send it to co taxes, so mortgage co get bill an I have 18 months pay $5-7k additional
Posted By: adam m

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:36 AM

Usually road improvements are voted on in the elections and most of the time they say they will increase taxes. Not sure what to suggest
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:58 AM

Yup Dave common way to pay for capital improvement ... pay assessment up front or pay thru property taxes. So pay one way or the other, or sell and move. If you decide to sell, you will have to disclose to the buyer the amount of the assessment. Good luck going forward.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 05:00 AM

I bet you’ll enjoy driving down that new road once it’s all done!
Posted By: iowayote

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 05:53 AM

"I think the millionaire on block want new street an make hard me an 2 others"

That is definitely what i would do if i were a millionaire, tear up an entire street just to whizz 3 people off.

Paranoid much ??
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by iowayote

That is definitely what i would do if i were a millionaire, tear up an entire street just to whizz 3 people off.

Paranoid much ??

I know people just like that. No need to be snarky. Why kick a man when he's down?

Charlie
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 08:23 AM

Ever ask that Millionaire who he sold his coon to? Is that Fluid Film dripping off your truck softening the asphalt, causing pot holes? You live on a paved road? I am a mile of rough gravel from pavement and have to grade it myself in the spring with my plow truck before it hardens up....
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 08:47 AM

it is a normal city thing to do make you pay for your curb and gutter.

run for city council and shut down the project

about 2006 someone decided that we needed side walks on every street both sides , because it was the standard for new streets to have a side walk on both sides

we have a sidewalk on one side that few people use they just walk down the street most of the time with little traffic

city said starting at 1st Ave 2 blocks every year , it was an election year before the project got started a neighbor ran for council by walking around and telling everyone that she would shut down the sidewalks that were going to take out every tree on the street. she won and I don't have sidewalks and didn't have to pay for them.

she only stayed on council 1 term didn't run again but it ended a very unpopular project.

so we still have tared gavel roads and not curb and gutter and no sidewalks on both sides of every street.

boats parked in the front yard , cars on blocks , it is red neck utopia

Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 11:13 AM

Around here if it's a county road then the county pays for it and I have never seen them do an assessment for the property owners on that street. They repave our little road at least every 5 years and are always cleaning the ditches and replacing culverts but I've never received a bill for it other than my normal property tax
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 11:35 AM

I imagine it varies by state, county and town.

I do a lot of work on roads that are being redone and talk to a lot of homeowners how it's financed. Generally here in MN if its a city street the homeowners will be assessed some amount for the whole project, if it's a county or state road the homeowner is assessed for the city utility portion ie water and sewer.

It's also been my experience that generally if it's a residential street it's not being redone because of the road condition but because the water or sewer needs updating.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 11:39 AM

When they do work like that in my city they give you a payment plan speed over many years.I would ask about that.

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:10 PM

They don't have pay plans here
Posted By: Staner

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:25 PM

Why do I keep opening these threads ??? crazy
Posted By: Savell

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:25 PM

... well if diplomacy isn’t getting you anywhere on this deal ... then what you aught to do is , get you a bike and pose as a jehova witness and knock on that millionaire’s door... when he opens it rush in there , jerk his britches down and just beat the asphalt out of his bare butt with a hardback copy of the New World Translation

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Staner

The entertainment value of Trapperman is Priceless.If Trapperman had oscars coonman would definitely be nominated!
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:40 PM

Maybe those water pipes they are replacing are lead
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
They don't have pay plans here

Sure they do .... Add on to your property taxes.
Posted By: grampy

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 03:22 PM

Troll or pessimist??
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Originally Posted by iowayote

Paranoid much ??

I know people just like that. No need to be snarky. Why kick a man when he's down?

Charlie

Dave is ALWAYS DOWN or IN THE NEGATIVE of things. everyone is always out to get him or so he thinks
Posted By: rex123

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:28 PM

I can see it now he knocks on your door tells you it's the end of the world then hands you a bucket of grease, says paint the bottom of your truck before they tear the street up. lol
Posted By: corky

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by coyotesoldier229
Maybe those water pipes they are replacing are lead

That could explain a lot.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 04:54 PM

hey if they are lead can you snag them I will give you 50 cents a pound to help you pay for the bill your getting
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 05:01 PM

Pete I got a bunch of lead at that price.
Shipping might be a little ruff lol.

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 06:25 PM

Ya I just call courthouse an explain it, city dictates whY do an bill be split up 10 yrs, at 10 per cent interest , my mortgage in escrow or lender , payments go up but not skyrocket , but if tear out sidewalk or part driveway , may be seperate an not sent courthouse , still bunch crap street no worse than any others, it just one person on block am or some other bigshots in town want it for some reason, small ppl like me an sone other neighbors, 1 poorer, have no say so
Posted By: hippie

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 06:45 PM

Walk up to your millionaire neighbors house and ask if he'll set down with you and help get your finances in order. I bet he can help you.
Posted By: K52

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 06:56 PM

I'm probably stupid, but why would your mortgage on your house go up? Wouldn't it be a separate bill unless you have your property taxes figured in your house payments some how.

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by K52
I'm probably stupid, but why would your mortgage on your house go up? Wouldn't it be a separate bill unless you have your property taxes figured in your house payments some how.

If u have a mortgage payment , ur ins an taxes are included, escrow acct, no interest charges but on this deal there would be by city , lots, there also say 10 per cent off if prepay , town make profit off it, mortgage co always does that payment, not want u call up say my house burn down an sorry I forgot pay hazard ins

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by K52

If u have a mortgage payment , ur ins an taxes are included, escrow acct, no interest charges but on this deal there would be by city , lots, there also say 10 per cent off if prepay , town make profit off it, mortgage co always does that payment, not want u call up say my house burn down an sorry I forgot pay hazard ins
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 09:40 PM

Next summer they tear. street out, no worse any other street town, not bad shape,I think the millionaire on block want new street an make hard me an 2 others, in 17 months have awful bill,partial portion bill for curb an water pipes ,$4-$7 $$$$0, unknowen till next year the cost plus not use driveway weeks , I don't get way town went about it , so residents pay, but if no refinance an no $$, they send on to county on taxes, mortgage loan go way up, ,escrow acct, $300 plus month, not happy about it, show to watch where move

All you paved road folks are spoiled fancy lads.

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 09:48 PM

I wish was gravel road in country , impossible, everyone want move country, big money houses, no cheap stuff nowhere around this county or very rare hard do, unless ur relation farmer , I have rented always bfore this, got house in 06, try for at least 5 years buy house, had setbacks, good deals go fast an bad deals don't sell, grab this house, wasn't real happy town or location either but beeter some houses look at by far , so this complicated street stuff an complicated paperwork an assessment of residents property owners an codes new me, go post office box daily an check for updates by city council an codes an new laws or codes they make up all time, not real happy town stuff, probly get worse bigger town, u got watch what town u buy house at an lot things consider

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Staner

Everyone slows and looks at train wrecks....
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

All you paved road folks are spoiled fancy lads.

Down side is wife got 2 buckets driveway sealer. Wonder who's gonna sweat their butt off some hot day smearing that around????? cry

Re: Street repair - 05/11/21 11:13 PM

Dave, I work on this stuff alot, the sidewalks and the driveway that is in the road right of way will be part of the assessment, not an extra.

It could be there is lead lines, if I had to bet I'd say it's clay tile sanitary that's the culprit. I don't believe it's because it's the millionaire down the block who wants a better road.

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 12:02 AM

Copper water pipes for sure with me, clay tile goes out back an long way bfore another street , I hope sidewalk is, city clerk say might not be , not wanna loan for there stuff

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

Dave, I work on this stuff alot, the sidewalks and the driveway that is in the road right of way will be part of the assessment, not an extra.

It could be there is lead lines, if I had to bet I'd say it's clay tile sanitary that's the culprit. I don't believe it's because it's the millionaire down the block who wants a better road.

Mr. 49er sir .. I respect your experience in these matters as well as your detailed explanation... but I’ll have to respectfully disagree and stand by my assessment that the dadgum millionaire needs a bare butt whipin in some way shape or form... I’ll leave the method up to our victim coonman

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 12:49 AM

Well Savell sir, that just goes without sayin lol.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I wouldn't worry about it . In 17 months when the bill is due , you'll prolly already be dead from working at the racist death factory.

cry grin cry grin

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:14 AM

Well Savell sir, that just goes without sayin lol.

..just throwing this out for brainstorming purposes.. but what if coonman disguised himself as a plumber... and showed up at millionaires house with about a 3 foot stick of that ol thick wall 3/4” schedule 40 pvc pipe.. knocked on his door... and then.. awe never mind lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
... well if diplomacy isn’t getting you anywhere on this deal ... then what you aught to do is , get you a bike and pose as a jehova witness and knock on that millionaire’s door... when he opens it rush in there , jerk his britches down and just beat the asphalt out of his bare butt with a hardback copy of the New World Translation

I'm noticing your solution to a lot of problems is a bare butt whoopin. You have to admire this straight forward approach.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:24 AM

Dang coonman, you might want to buy a lottery ticket. With all this bad luck you've been wallowing around in you're bound to have a good streak a coming.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 02:00 AM

I have no one to blame ...but my self..for clicking on to this train wreck...

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

What are you talking about Ness... I’m a dang subscriber... best thing since Barry Leroy
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Dang coonman, you might want to buy a lottery ticket. With all this bad luck you've been wallowing around in you're bound to have a good streak a coming.

Reminds me of the first half of the Book of Job!

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 03:28 AM

New street is what someone or some want , no worse any other street town, water main an pipes is something they do just because new street , hope not issue with sewer as mine don't go out street replace, goes out back, someone had sewer pipes on neighbors land, 1 ft my 2nd drive is on neighbors land for years, 3 neighbors in 15 yrs, 2 outlets, 1 bury and an one 3 ft in neighbors for who own this house yrs ago for his rv to pump out , my sewer pipes go for 2 or more 100 hundreds an into another neighbors house away an into street , hope they don't say something when see no sewer go out onto street , if so an say new sewer, I give up as this deep an expensive lot digging, I think let house go back bank , street is lot better some I seen, I don't get it, seen streets 10 times as bad , go outstate Illinois there broke, fix only main roads an minuimal, city streets are shot, I was Rockford once few years back, streets are totally shot, full huge crater chuckholes , what state has worse road Pennsylvania ?
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 10:23 AM

I swear

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 12:44 PM

The Iowa roads has always been a running joke for us wisconsinites!
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:04 PM

Did the city ever repair or replace the area of your curb they broke out when they were removing leaves?

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:12 PM

If they are doing it because someone wants a new street as you say get the block residents organized and oppose it.

If you want info and what is being done and who pays for what quit communicating with the city clerk and get ahold of the project engineer.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:36 PM

Well boys, I have done a bit of municipal engineering work and over the years have never replaced anything that weren't no badder than the next street.
There is usually an underlying issue, so to speak, being water or sewer mains that are failing, storm sewer, maybe time to upgrade gas, electric, etc.
New pavement and base is usually part of the overall project as it is the most cost effective to replace everything at once.
A municipality typically has a yearly budget and scheduled maintenance plan that addresses this. You are likely to be assessed for new sidewalk, curb and gutter etc.
as this adds value to your property. There is usually a public information meeting that addresses all this a year or so beforehand.
If none of this holds true then I concur with Savell's method of justice although schedule 40 pvc seems a bit harsh.

Zim
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scout1
Originally Posted by bleeohio

Reminds me of the first half of the Book of Job!

I doubt the bible gets opened and commented on as much as Coonmans posts
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 06:09 PM

What are you talking about Ness... I’m a dang subscriber... best thing since Barry Leroy

Hahahaaa,,,I think coonman bought his truck from Barry. grin
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Street repair - 05/12/21 10:19 PM

In my town of 25,000 they have been separating the sanitary and storm sewers. They have had streets tore up for 5 or 6 years here and there around town. This maybe the case for you coonman.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Street repair - 05/13/21 12:11 AM

They replaced streets in a town near here. Made everyone update their sewers and water lines, then charged interest and garnished wages and tax refunds, lottery prizes and such for those who didn't pay upfront.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Street repair - 05/13/21 12:25 AM

Yup.....I can’t help my self...lol
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Street repair - 05/13/21 01:39 AM

Don't forget an Amen when you're done.

Re: Street repair - 05/13/21 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
They replaced streets in a town near here. Made everyone update their sewers and water lines, then charged interest and garnished wages and tax refunds, lottery prizes and such for those who didn't pay upfront.

They told me go on property tax but o don't know if all be included, if I got put new sewer in expensive, might get sued, not feel like get loan for there junk

Re: Street repair - 05/14/21 01:50 AM

There mark out gas line now on street , supposed evalvuate an replace some line, hope elvaute it with some kinds radar stuff without dig
Posted By: headache73

Re: Street repair - 05/14/21 02:52 AM

They sure do some strange things up there

Re: Street repair - 05/14/21 03:03 AM

There mark out gas line now on street , supposed evalvuate an replace some line, hope elvaute it with some kinds radar stuff without dig

They will evaluate to see if it's in the way or depending on age of the pipe now is a good time to replace it.

Re: Street repair - 05/14/21 03:49 AM

There goes another $10k
Posted By: run

Re: Street repair - 05/14/21 09:31 AM

I live on a dirt road. Sounds like I'm missing out.

Re: Street repair - 05/15/21 12:10 AM

I don't know who to opppose it to, city clerk say they don't want property tax go up an want do things there way , I don't know what can do about it , hire attorney an very expensive an maybe do nothing can do , if I don't pay bill next year later, they send it to co taxes, so mortgage co get bill an I have 18 months pay $5-7k additional

There are several things that you can still do...... Get signed up to be on the agenda for your next city council meeting. Make your concerns known in a public forum. You might find out there are others that will be affected by this project and they might be against the project too. Get in touch with your councilman and let your thoughts be known. How much is the city levy / rate now in your town? I thought special assessments were done by the amount of property frontage, unless you have a huge lot, you may pay a lesser assessment than say the "millionaire" at the end of the street.

Re: Street repair - 05/15/21 02:47 PM

Ya besides the cost, the noise an not be able drive in driveway for weeks an all hassale totaly sucks, street no worse many others, better than many other streets I Been on , that town for u where u move an people, they probly want to replace every street someday , west Dubuque is nonstop construction new roads all over an new telecommunications, new houses, etc, ruin lots woods an countryside with roads , that why against work in that town, the hills, in rush hr u hit lot red lites, road not design handle that much traffic , to work in inner city down hill on us 20 an go down an up that every day, 45 min thru rush hr traffic from 1 side town to other, it have pay at least $25 hr, u wear ur vechile out in few yrs, hard on brakes an auto transmission, some hills that town an on co hiway outskirts around it, I rarely travel on, grade hills is got be worse innstate unless west Iowa by Missouri River is worse or same

Re: Street repair - 05/15/21 06:37 PM

I hear you Coonman... I ain’t into noise and hassle either

Re: Street repair - 05/15/21 08:29 PM

Ya besides the cost, the noise an not be able drive in driveway for weeks an all hassale totaly sucks, street no worse many others, better than many other streets I Been on , that town for u where u move an people, they probly want to replace every street someday , west Dubuque is nonstop construction new roads all over an new telecommunications, new houses, etc, ruin lots woods an countryside with roads , that why against work in that town, the hills, in rush hr u hit lot red lites, road not design handle that much traffic , to work in inner city down hill on us 20 an go down an up that every day, 45 min thru rush hr traffic from 1 side town to other, it have pay at least $25 hr, u wear ur vechile out in few yrs, hard on brakes an auto transmission, some hills that town an on co hiway outskirts around it, I rarely travel on, grade hills is got be worse innstate unless west Iowa by Missouri River is worse or same

I'll bet you 500 bucks they are fixing it because of problems under the street. You need to talk to the engineer about your sewer line. There is a small chance, the chance is very small, they'll require it to be updated. If not they'll stub a line to your lot for the when the day comes your lateral line fails.

Re: Street repair - 05/15/21 11:13 PM

I hear you Coonman... I ain’t into noise and hassle either

Yep
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Street repair - 05/16/21 05:19 PM

I just think you should take advantage of the situation. Now that you will get sewer line just write it off as a business expense on your taxes. If you get audited and they as why you wrote it off as a business expense. You can explain that you use the sewer line to dispose of your coon carcasses. Being you will have access to a sewer you can just pick up the manhole cover and dump the coon carcasses in the sewer. You always got to think this kind of thing thru to a positive solution.

Re: Street repair - 05/16/21 05:38 PM

Being a City Slicker has its downside....My water comes from a well I drilled, my sewage goes to a septic system I paid for. My Natural Gas comes from a line 1/4 mile long I paid for. My driveway also 1/4 mile long I plow snow, and grade in summer, to get to a mile long gravel road the county takes care of...I wouldn't have it any other way. If I was Coonman I would find a apartment and let the bank have the house. Or pay up.....Folks that spend themselves into a corner, then complain about it, that's priceless.

Re: Street repair - 05/16/21 06:38 PM

Ya I was told by more one in not many yrs ago to let bank have house an move apt, ,rent is sky high nowadays however , not sure other problems go on rent, if do, so much for trapping, one reasons got house, also pets are problem if renting, idk care much if housecats get hard on old carpet in house an stuff an go all over house , fun have around an something do

Re: Street repair - 05/16/21 09:06 PM

... you ain’t doing anything borderline inappropriate with that cat now are you coonman?... cause that can lead to a whole nother mess of problems

Re: Street repair - 05/17/21 05:51 PM

So now gas company call after leave message for them an wrong info, no gas lines be put in, got wrong info from city clerk , why is she say this ? Not right, so gas company say fiberoptic cable be put in , I not gonna mess city clerk nomore, I read online that cable is go be out in 30 inches deep an plow in? There not around yet , can anyone tell me how fiberoptic cable goes, ? I believe it is tunnel underneath without dig holes or trenches ?

Re: Street repair - 05/17/21 07:12 PM

They might "plow" it in. If so, you might be able to see a slight disruption to the top of the soil, sort of like when they plow in plastic drainage tile in farm fields.

Re: Street repair - 05/17/21 09:05 PM

Hope don't hit waterline as mark but shallow from bottom hill at sidewalk for short stretch until go down below street , hope it below 30 inches
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Street repair - 05/17/21 10:45 PM

Move to the country and you won't have to deal with any of that stuff.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Street repair - 05/17/21 11:32 PM

If you stay out of the street you may get run over .

Re: Street repair - 05/18/21 01:36 AM

So now gas company call after leave message for them an wrong info, no gas lines be put in, got wrong info from city clerk , why is she say this ? Not right, so gas company say fiberoptic cable be put in , I not gonna mess city clerk nomore, I read online that cable is go be out in 30 inches deep an plow in? There not around yet , can anyone tell me how fiberoptic cable goes, ? I believe it is tunnel underneath without dig holes or trenches ?

They will either plow it in or directional bore it in. They won't hit sewer or water at 30" unless you are on bedrock .

Re: Street repair - 05/18/21 02:28 AM

Hope don't hit waterline as mark but shallow from bottom hill at sidewalk for short stretch until go down below street , hope it below 30 inches

You worry about some things that don't warrant worry.

You're going to drive the construction crews bananas

Re: Street repair - 05/18/21 02:53 AM

Yes Steven or he'll die of a stroke first. Coonman you need a hobby outside of trapping season because you have way too much time to worry
Posted By: run

Re: Street repair - 05/18/21 10:39 AM

You worry about some things that don't warrant worry.

You're going to drive the construction crews bananas

I agree.

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 07:23 PM

Got call city clerk, letters are in mail, lot ppl complain more me, so I don't think I got water cutoff valve on lawn, I guess not worry about it till project , no sense in it bfore, anyone know if everyone house in a town automatically get one ? Maybe bury under sod an dirt aways an not see it
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 07:35 PM

Translation?
Anyone?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 07:56 PM

ooo e ooo ah ah, ting tang wallah wallah bing bang, ooo e ooo ah ah ,ting tang wallah wallah bang.
My friend the witch doctor he told me what to do--my friend the witch doctor he told me what say.
Tom
Posted By: canine933

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Translation?
Anyone?

Exactly!!

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 08:04 PM

Not sure if everyone house has water cutoff valve on it, from street to ur house, most have by curb or sidewalk , I know where pipe is but never see cutoff valve, unless under grass, just wonder if u have house in town if always a cutoff valve ?

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 08:44 PM

Was stupid me talk city clerk an say that didn't think cutoff valve, I belive she say that be straighten out next summer, I guess not make sense or wouldn't ask me have one put in an dug out if go be all rip out in less year an do it again, just wonder if any house in any town has one for sure ? I don't know, never seen it unless under sod

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Translation?
Anyone?

He's asking about his water shut off valve and if he has one.

Dave, it's possible but highly unlikely you don't have one. Here in most places I work they try to bury the covers at or just below grade, you dont want the lawnmower to hit it. Frost can sometimes lift the top section back up.

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 10:09 PM

Was stupid me talk city clerk an say that didn't think cutoff valve, I belive she say that be straighten out next summer, I guess not make sense or wouldn't ask me have one put in an dug out if go be all rip out in less year an do it again, just wonder if any house in any town has one for sure ? I don't know, never seen it unless under sod

Do you have a sidewalk? Most of the shutoffs I've seen are on the street side of the sidewalk. Ours was buried like you said, under the sod. I found it quickly using a metal detector. When we replaced our sidewalk, we raised the cap for the shutoff valve to be above the sod and just below the surface of the sidewalk.

If you want to know where your shutoff valve is, don't pay your water bill. The city will find it for you when they shut off your water. grin
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 10:12 PM

Take a driver or rebar and poke around the yard, you’ll hear/feel it when you hit it. Every house/yard has one.

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 10:47 PM

Ya probly

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 11:01 PM

Looks like this: Sorry got them mixed up! No this is one for sewer breather. Right pic below for water valve.

Attached picture 20210520_185418-1.jpg

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 11:15 PM

When I lived in town, mine was a trip hazard. Was in city right a way along sidewalk and stuck up 4 inches. Can't tell you how many times in 20 years I tripped over it or mowed around it.

It is probably buried just under the soil. Metal detector will find it.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Street repair - 05/20/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
ooo e ooo ah ah, ting tang wallah wallah bing bang, ooo e ooo ah ah ,ting tang wallah wallah bang.
My friend the witch doctor he told me what to do--my friend the witch doctor he told me what say.
Tom

grin

Re: Street repair - 05/21/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Looks like this:

The vast majority I see here in MN look like this.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1016/5405/products/ServiceBoxUpper_1200x.jpg?v=1588973268
Originally Posted by bankrunner
When I lived in town, mine was a trip hazard. Was in city right a way along sidewalk and stuck up 4 inches. Can't tell you how many times in 20 years I tripped over it or mowed around it.

Frost can lift them, the top section of the riser slides inside of the lower section. Mine likes to lift once in awhile, a couple taps with a two pound hammer drives it back down.

Re: Street repair - 05/21/21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Looks like this:

The vast majority I see here in MN look like this.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1016/5405/products/ServiceBoxUpper_1200x.jpg?v=1588973268
Originally Posted by bankrunner

Frost can lift them, the top section of the riser slides inside of the lower section. Mine likes to lift once in awhile, a couple taps with a two pound hammer drives it back down.

It was down as far as it could go. Company i work for does concrete and excavation. It got fixed right before I sold it, as the knuckleheads directional boring hit my service line. Hacks couldn't patch the sidewalk panels, looked like they poured with an 8" slump then broomed it.

Re: Street repair - 05/22/21 01:57 PM

Water valve: This is neighbors. Mine is under grass right beside sewer breather/cleanout.

Attached picture 20210522_091518~2.jpg
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Street repair - 05/22/21 03:23 PM

Call in a locate. Ask to have the service and main located.

Re: Street repair - 05/22/21 04:09 PM

It well be next summer, call in to ask that in this town is gonna do nothing but make the ones in city mad because ask them do some more work, seems to me I was cut grass an looking down a number yrs ago in yard by water line an see something hidden down underneath or caught glimpse something, probly is it, copper lines, I not for stupid street replacement as no worse anywhere else an better someplaces, I not refinancing house over it an bill can go on courthouse on taxes , they just got done tear everthing up in front with stupid micro line for cable or pH or whatever for windstream maybe, I had them for few months years ago an nothing problems an billing an want me hookuk , I think got bill for $500 a told them stuff it an get it off house an pay nothing, I don't think it even work, it was more worthless then Mediacom , whatever kind line it is, the city want sell it service an I not get it, they stuff it
Posted By: keets

Re: Street repair - 05/22/21 04:12 PM

grin

Re: Street repair - 05/22/21 05:31 PM

Coonman,
U just call in an make them mad!!! Let them know u pay their wages and they work for u!!! (That is if u pay ur taxes)

Sometimes u just gotta let them know who the boss really is!

Get urself some signatures on a petition an run fir mayor!! That will show em!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums