Home

Early retirement

Posted By: coonman220

Early retirement - 05/17/21 09:09 PM

Talk to soacil security before, don't sound like bad idea aslong as u can work, could even work 40 hrs plus like now an prettner $1100 a month more with no tax out that, just a month an half of lil more of ss, not get month because make over $18,660 a year , consider it next summer, it take while get payment an if make to.much ss well keep first check an half , have to see , u have wait till after month u are 62 on an then 1 st check month later plus would made to much likely working an be Sept 1, get be to be in oct, I cut way down hrs for outdoors hopefully unless find better job between now an next spring as file in April, 3 months ahead
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 09:34 PM

If you start taking SS at 62, which is before your full retirement age, be very sure you understand how much money you can make from working before your SS benefits are affected. If you earn a certain amount or more, your SS payment will be reduced..
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 10:21 PM

coonman, how many threads have you started on this very subject...?

Most of your readers on here would be mighty surprised if you DIDN'T take SS at 62 and still work some on the side. A question you might ask is how long has your kin lived? If your closest kin lived into their high 80s or 90s, then taking your SS at 62 might burn you at your high years if you follow their trend. If they died in the late 60s or 70s, then you probably "beat the man" by taking it at 62. I don't think its going to matter, though, because I'd bet you'd go to start getting that money at age 62.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 10:28 PM

If your SS is 1200 or more a month The Man won't allow you to earn more until you are at full retirement age which is 66 yr 5 mo for my age. They feel that 1200 is enough. Never mind that every business needs help.
Posted By: iowayote

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 10:50 PM

I like turtles !!
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:03 PM

You are screwed, coonman.

The IRS will be 1st in line to get their cut of
your Soacil Security check to recover your
non-payment of taxes over the years.

Then the health care people will get theirs
and you will be left with peanuts to make
repairs on the muffler on your vechile.

You'd better get 3 or 4 under the table jobs
to make up the difference and catch a lot
of ditch pandas to keep you afloat.

BOHICA coonman !!!! laugh
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
You are screwed, coonman.

The IRS will be 1st in line to get their cut of
your Soacil Security check to recover your
non-payment of taxes over the years.

Then the health care people will get theirs
and you will be left with peanuts to make
repairs on the muffler on your vechile.

You'd better get 3 or 4 under the table jobs
to make up the difference and catch a lot
of ditch pandas to keep you afloat.

BOHICA coonman !!!! laugh

Used to fix our own muffler pipes with a coffee can and some hose clamps.Back on the road !!!! grin
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by iowayote
I like turtles !!

Painted or snapper?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:19 PM

I like turtles !!
Me too
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:24 PM

Sounds like you have a plan coonman. Or maybe not. It's kinda hard to tell. Yes the government will give you money. It's not supposed to be your retirement plan. It was set up when most people died younger and it was for when you can't work and don't want to die of starvation. Yeah I know you paid in and are entitled to it but it's a bankrupting ponzy scheme so might plan on it going away soon. Good luck on your "retirement".

I like soft shelled turtles for frying.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Early retirement - 05/17/21 11:53 PM

Dave,

You better check with SS again cause the story isn't quit right. SS between 62 and 66/4 is reduced $1 for $2 for every dollar over the yearly threshold, except in year 66. Find a knowledgeable tax professional too because there are taxes to be paid on SS income at the federal level, maybe our state also and certainly on all other income earned. By the way, SS doesn't comment on tax issues. And don't forget @65 and 1 month, your SS benefit is reduced by the Medicare premium (currently ~$150/month); you got no choice, it's automatically withdrawn and it goes up every year.

So not quite the picture you got painted. You don't know what you don't know. Best of luck in your retirement, if ya go there.

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 12:12 AM

The longer you wait for S.S ,,the more you will get.HOWEVER,,the longer you wait,,,the deader you get.Do the math and make a decision. grin
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 12:14 AM

Good luck coonman
Do your research
Enjoy your retirement
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 12:31 AM

Pay taxes on any fur income or you may spend your silver years in Leavenworth. LLL

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
The longer you wait for S.S ,,the more you will get.HOWEVER,,the longer you wait,,,the deader you get.Do the math and make a decision. grin

True, noone knows how long go last, some guys older an do well, some Peter out in upper 50 s already , not stuff like talk or think about lot. Try call irs few times today ,was work byself later with phone on speaker an all way home an then at home , only not get thru or disconnect after hold bfore , had few questions about ss benifits an taxes , hopefully get thru to them
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 04:41 AM

Go for it coonman, draw your social security, and work for cash like the so called non- documented workers do.

Trap in the winters, pull out all the stops, and live your life... , and feed them fish-heads, Lol.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 12:49 PM

Do you have anything in a 401K? Is your house paid for? How long do you think that trucks going to last? By your post here you've got to averaging over $100 a month in just repair bills. Those are things to consider and that being said I don't care what you do. If you can afford it, retire and live your life. You need to make that decision.

My family history isn't good. My dad died at 64, his brother at 57, his sister at 66 and their dad (my grandpa) at 71. My dad's other brother, my living uncle, is still going (barely) at 84 but he's had heart issues up the wazoo the last over 20 plus years. He followed DRs. orders to a tee and still plugged up. You aren't a male on that side of my family if you haven't had some sort of heart or blood pressure issues by the the age of 40. Every one of us has. I also lost a male cousin on that side at 56, the uncle who died at 57 son.

The other side, Mom's, ain't great either. She died at 65 and her brother died at 71 and that's that. Cancer is what got my mom. I've already been through that once myself 15 years ago. And this is why I'd love to retire at 62, whether or not that will happen is hard to say.

Good luck Coonman
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 01:23 PM

anybody under say 32 ought to read these posts and think long and hard about their future over the next 30yrs and what you want fo retirement.

Imagine being early 60s and having ~ $2M in 401k and IRAs after years/decades of maxing both out, being able to live off the 4.5% interest it makes annually giving you a $90k salary...without ever touching the principal. A couple year old (paid for in cash of course) truck and a paid for home. If you get tired of working, and want to draw your SS early (assuming it is still around), you say "see ya".. you have the cash to do so.

The hard work and discipline gives you the freedom later to decide.

This is the future I am saving for...

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 01:32 PM

Do you have anything in a 401K? Is your house paid for? How long do you think that trucks going to last?

Badger23, you must not be a regular Dave reader. I'd fall off my chair if coonman had a 401k, certainly not anything recent, maybe at his former job that he seemed to have held for a long time. As I said early on this thread, coonman has brought up this topic multiple times so I'm wondering why he hasn't actually talked to any SS ppl before this time, trying to get a hold them now--with most of them still working from home-- won't be easy.

Good luck to you Badger23, doesn't sound like genealogy is on your side for living into the mid-80s and above. It takes about to age 81 to start to make up in SS benefits for waiting longer to take it early. If you live another 10+ years after that, yeah, you'll get burned for taking it early. And the not making over say 18k a year going early without paying the 1 for 2 rule before your official "go" date for no work restrictions is a PIA but it only lasts 3 years. I hope you get to enjoy your 60s without working full-time for most of them!

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 01:36 PM

anybody under say 32 ought to read these posts and think long and hard about their future over the next 30yrs and what you want fo retirement.

Imagine being early 60s and having ~ $2M in 401k and IRAs after years/decades of maxing both out, being able to live off the 4.5% interest it makes annually giving you a $90k salary...without ever touching the principal. A couple year old (paid for in cash of course) truck and a paid for home. If you get tired of working, and want to draw your SS early (assuming it is still around), you say "see ya".. you have the cash to do so.

Sounds like a good plan ILcooner and I hope it works out for you. A major assumption that you have made is that the fed gov isn't going to mess with your 401k rules for the next 30 years. I wouldn't count on it. I still would put money into a 401k but I wouldn't make that your only retirement life raft for the next 30 years assuming nothing is going to change about them.
Posted By: run

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Pay taxes on any fur income or you may spend your silver years in Leavenworth. LLL

Where's is Leavenworth?
Posted By: TRAPPERTOM420

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 02:00 PM

Leavenworth, Kansas

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TRAPPERTOM420
Leavenworth, Kansas

Thanks.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner

This is a close mirror image to my situation, slightly different. I plan on going at 50, certainly not anywhere the 2m$ mark but enough to be plenty comfortable. House and vehicles (vechiles) paid for, cabin and mtn property paid for, rental houses (paying for themselves). I will echo the statement about younger people, even way under 32 get on track early in life. I only wish I would've had more/better guidance earlier on about the great financial plan and the various paths to chose from. You know how it works: man plans/God laughs. Anything can happen and you can only roll with the punches.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 04:36 PM

Been there, done that. Watch out for federal income tax on social security benefits (gross benefit including amounts deducted for medicare). Percentage of benefits taxed when you file your return depends on gross HOUSEHOLD, not personal, income. In my case my wife still worked and as a result 85% of my SS was taxed. No way to get around it such as by filing separately. That's any other person's income in your household if IRS knows about it, such as from W-2 forms. State income tax does not apply to SS benefits.

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 09:17 PM

Call ss today again an got $$ figgures out an when start earn so much nomore an when ss is tax when work pt an figgure out , good deal aslong as can work pt, like ssy , plan on knee replacement when on ss, if not, bad idea, any govermebt places are say big changes come with stuff an rules laws in future , don't know what , posted on other sites , doomsday
Posted By: charles

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 09:22 PM

Retirement to most of us means reaching a point in life when our SS, IRA, 401k, and investment income will support our needs. Not when we wonder if Fluid Film sprayed under our truck can extend its life a few months. I recommend you keep on saving for retirement like you already have, for a few more years.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 10:07 PM

Dave I feel the early option with employment would fit you quite well. If you can earn $18,000 per year and not lose any SS benefits and lets say your SS monthly would be $1,000 per month. That would give you 30K per year with one job. You could work a $9 per hour job full time if you wanted to. I would find a firm that would pay you say $12.50-$14 per hour you could work 32 hours per week and have 8 weeks off for trapping etc. Many places don't want to hire full time with paid vacations etc. etc. If you found the right job or jobs and your physical health held up well you could do this for many years if you needed to or chose to.

Bryce
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Dave I feel the early option with employment would fit you quite well. If you can earn $18,000 per year and not lose any SS benefits and lets say your SS monthly would be $1,000 per month. That would give you 30K per year with one job. You could work a $9 per hour job full time if you wanted to. I would find a firm that would pay you say $12.50-$14 per hour you could work 32 hours per week and have 8 weeks off for trapping etc. Many places don't want to hire full time with paid vacations etc. etc. If you found the right job or jobs and your physical health held up well you could do this for many years if you needed to or chose to.

Bryce

Dave - I like what Bryce says here. This may be a good fit for you.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 10:20 PM

From what I understand it don't work that way. They won't allow you to receive more than $1200 per month. If you receive 1000 SS per month you can earn an additional $200 per month but no more. That is until you reach full retirement age, then you can work and earn more. Maybe I misunderstood how it works.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 10:24 PM

You misunderstood.

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 10:30 PM

Feel free to limit your quality of life and your future SS benefits. Maybe you should consult a professional rather than a trapper.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 11:05 PM

As if there is any doubt dave will start collecting SS the second he's eligible to do so. He's been talking about it for years. Someone who knows, just needs to tell him how much side money he can claim on taxes and still get as much as they'll give him for SS.

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 11:12 PM

U can earn $1600 gross,month an still get close $1100 ss, considerably more than make now at 40-43 hrs week , no tax on ss if make the $1600
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 11:13 PM

Just have them pay you in cash and the sky's the limit!
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 11:21 PM

My Dad always said about retirement...."Better too early than too late."

I think when I was 65, with a full retirement age of 66, I compared what I would get if I sent on SS then versus when I hit 66. It was about $109 less. That allowed me to take a job at 24 hours per week with the State of Wisconsin, and really have no decrease in our standard of living. Our quality of life increased dramatically as I now only work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so every weekend is a 4-day weekend. When they hired me I negotiated a great benefit package as well.

At the time I told my Manager, who hired me, they they were stuck with me until no one in the office would change my "Depends".

Moosetrot
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Early retirement - 05/18/21 11:24 PM

Ever see the movie Joe Dirt?

Dennis Miller as Zander Kelly interviewing Joe Dirt on his radio program. Some of these threads give me flashbacks to the film.

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:10 PM

I can file the month after on first, so lot could change but if continue, file July 1, quit 1 job the end of second week July an continue work pt, 13 months an 1 week work left an slow down I hope an go fishing lots more next summer, I go have something good say all smart haters that burn u down when not work, they think u should be work 24/7 till dead no matter how old, worst luck I wish all haters

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:13 PM

Anyone know if ever apply small personal loan if need be, an work some pt an on soacil security, do they consider ss as income on loan app?
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by TRAPPERTOM420
Leavenworth, Kansas

Top of Kansas City

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Anyone know if ever apply small personal loan if need be, an work some pt an on soacil security, do they consider ss as income on loan app?

U ain't gettin a loan when u go on SS unless it's from uncle vinny!!!!

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:21 PM

If you need a small personal loan after you retired early maybe you shouldn't retire yet.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Ever see the movie Joe Dirt?

Dennis Miller as Zander Kelly interviewing Joe Dirt on his radio program. Some of these threads give me flashbacks to the film.

Great reference and observation.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Early retirement - 06/06/21 11:49 PM

I have a feeling you have not defined retirement in your own mind.

You are only thinking about the pension part, since you still plan on earning some money.

If you hate your work that much; RETIRE AS EARLY AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Find a job you like. Work as much as you want. Don't worry about some ceiling dollar amount. If you have to pay tax, SO WHAT? You are still money ahead. Once you reach full retirement age you can make as much as you want and the SS will be tax free.

Yeah, I'm one of those "work until you die" guys. It is one heck of a lot better than sitting around in your underwear waiting for some cute saleslady to stop by and pay you a visit.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 12:25 AM

I can file the month after on first, so lot could change but if continue, file July 1, quit 1 job the end of second week July an continue work pt, 13 months an 1 week work left an slow down I hope an go fishing lots more next summer, I go have something good say all smart haters that burn u down when not work, they think u should be work 24/7 till dead no matter how old, worst luck I wish all haters

Good luck with the rest of your life Dave, you're going to need it.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 12:30 AM

I'm retired. I was tired yesterday and tired again today.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex

You are only thinking about the pension part, since you still plan on earning some money.

Find a job you like. Work as much as you want. Don't worry about some ceiling dollar amount. If you have to pay tax, SO WHAT? You are still money ahead. Once you reach full retirement age you can make as much as you want and the SS will be tax free.

Yeah, I'm one of those "work until you die" guys. It is one heck of a lot better than sitting around in your underwear waiting for some cute saleslady to stop by and pay you a visit.

I see no downside to getting visited by a cute saleslady while sitting around in my underwear.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 12:45 AM

I see no downside to getting visited by a cute saleslady while sitting around in my underwear.

The problem is the frequency aspect to it...

Dave should start hoarding copper. The smaller Chinese business guys used to it for collateral for "loans". The problem is coonman would be dipping into the stash on a regular basis. Good luck Dave? Just keep your head out of those hydraulic presses...
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 01:03 AM

This^^ are you out of debt?

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 01:17 AM

I look at it as if you work until you die, then you have no life. No dreams. No ambition. I don’t view retirement as “sitting around in your underwear” lol. I mean I guess I might take a day or two and do that if it’s pouring rain with lightening, but that’s not a retirement goal I see.
I guess if you work in a profession others dream of, then yeah, find me dead on a trapline or sitting under a juniper with a shotgun in my hand and a dead turkey out in front of me, that would be ok. I guess then I worked until I died. Unfortunately I don’t have that job, so I’ll continue this job until “retirement” and then really have more fun than I’m having now without answering to anyone and being on anyone else’s time except my own.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 01:21 AM

I hear they feed you pretty good there. Might be at full retirement age by the time they let you out.
I'd take that chance.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

I hear they feed you pretty good there. Might be at full retirement age by the time they let you out.
I'd take that chance.

Sleepy has proposed 80 billion to add 83 thousand accountants to the IRS roles,..we witnessed these targeted citizens under the Bummer admin.,...most don't realize this,..
You'll see soon.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I look at it as if you work until you die, then you have no life. No dreams. No ambition. I don’t view retirement as “sitting around in your underwear” lol. I mean I guess I might take a day or two and do that if it’s pouring rain with lightening, but that’s not a retirement goal I see.
I guess if you work in a profession others dream of, then yeah, find me dead on a trapline or sitting under a juniper with a shotgun in my hand and a dead turkey out in front of me, that would be ok. I guess then I worked until I died. Unfortunately I don’t have that job, so I’ll continue this job until “retirement” and then really have more fun than I’m having now without answering to anyone and being on anyone else’s time except my own.

This^^ Not the year, not the day, not the hour, but the MINUTE I have enough to live comfortably, I will be retiring. And it won't be to sit around in my underwear.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 02:06 PM

I had no idea so many people hate their jobs/lives.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 02:31 PM

I would suggest having coon skin hats made and then selling them to your local market cash only of course. Make sure you put a tin can out in front of you. Put a sign out saying all donations excepted. Those libs love giving their money away to poor people. Ah heck forget about the hats just take a nice big coffee can like a Folgers one. Make sure you have a lid on it. I heard the IRS is going to Walmart's and taking a percentage from beggars now so you may want to choose a location like a farmers market. That's where all the libs hang.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 03:00 PM

Forget about retirement for now, at least3.5 more years. I have found the perfect job for you, complete with Gov. benefits. You could or should be the official joe biden interpreter.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 03:13 PM

Take your pension money as soon as you can before you're too old to enjoy it.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:00 PM

Being dirt poor is underrated , heck coonman, you'll be getting 7-800 dollars a month even after they take the 300 or so out for Medicare.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Being dirt poor is underrated , heck coonman, you'll be getting 7-800 dollars a month even after they take the 300 or so out for Medicare.

medicare is not $300 a month an I belive $150 month now or 175, they don't take it out till if u alive at 65, just talk about it, jeez, from now on I should try not post nothing at all or only trap related, it post bfore I should go federal prison for retire that I criminal , everything u post on this site , there certain ones on here that well knock u down an critize anything posted, that what this site is for, ppl critize an beat u down , sell stuff on shed that overpriced an worn out that want get rid of
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:20 PM

medicare is not $300 a month an I belive $150 month now or 175, they don't take it out till if u alive at 65, just talk about it, jeez, from now on I should try not post nothing at all or only trap related, it post bfore I should go federal prison for retire that I criminal , everything u post on this site , there certain ones on here that well knock u down an critize anything posted, that what this site is for, ppl critize an beat u down , sell stuff on shed that overpriced an worn out that want get rid of

Bullies Suck!!!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:29 PM

Sounds like you got a plan

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:35 PM

My wife just signed up..

154.50 a month for Medicare but that only covers 80% of your bills unless you have a supplement. Our supplement costs 139.00 which covers the last 20% and covers most pills.

Pointing out facts even if you don't like them, no one else will.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:37 PM

I agree with early retirement for most people, we did but we have money saved up.

Does the PT job you are going to keep give you insurance until you reach 65? If so, that's one less worry.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:39 PM

Dave,you are right about some on here that are very good at blasting certain people.Look at it this way,,those people must have nothing better to do.
If you are looking for info--post away and ignore the people who continue to pick on you.Supposedly,we are all trappers on here( I have my doubts about that and should help a fellow trapper out when we can.
Tom

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Dave,you are right about some on here that are very good at blasting certain people.Look at it this way,,those people must have nothing better to do.
If you are looking for info--post away and ignore the people who continue to pick on you.Supposedly,we are all trappers on here( I have my doubts about that and should help a fellow trapper out when we can.
Tom

What does your Medicare and any supplement cost, that would help him more than blowing off.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 07:23 PM

Medicare is $148 a month an tooken out when or if u reach 65 old, cost may go up by then, I write down all info from SS, I rember now then say about supplemental an didn't know the cost, I forgot about it , doubt would get it ,not afford , no not had insurance in 5 years , I am sure next summer, I well not care an just want cut down hrs by them or if not, early fall
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 07:30 PM

I have Medicare, work full time as well as I waited till my full retirement age to not be penalized, they take $148.00 out of my SS every month for Medicare. I have a supplemental insurance I use first if needed thats better than Medicare, however I had to purchase Medicare to get the supplemental insurance which is through a non-government entity. So you get nailed one way or the other LOL

I don't pay monthly for the supplemental insurance until I need it. My wife's insurance still picks me up for Dental and my work covers eyeglass's because it's needed for PPE at work.

So it pays to do your research about retiring and Medicare, lots of different scenarios with Medicare.

And yes there are a lot of Jabber jaw people here who can't seem to just pass up bothering you, however thats life and we all have that problem now and again, just move on !
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 08:05 PM

Dave,
You won't pay Medicare until you turn 65.
Facts:
1) Medicare goes up every year ... It won't be $148 when you are eligible. Medicare increases pretty much eat up all the cost of living increases in social security.
2) Medicare only covers 80% of doctor and hospitalization ... You will need a supplement or you own the 20% of costs + prescriptions, dental, eyes and hearing.

Best advise I can give, find a good insurance agent.

Enroll in one of the government health care plan options now or after your income is reduced when retiring. ( It's about 9% of your monthly gross, less now this year because of government covid relief plans.)

When 65, have your ins. agent find you an acceptable Medicare Advantage plan in your area that best meets your needs. Review plans yearly as situations change.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 08:39 PM

I don’t “hate” my job, I just don’t love it enough to devote my entire life to it. I have plans that don’t involve 40+ hour weeks and standby every other week in communications. I’d prefer to do that trapping or hunting, lol.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 08:47 PM

Get your supplement coverage ASAP it gets higher if you wait, mine has gone up every year so far anyway and I barely use it so that does not seem to matter to the insurance companies much. I’d be better off now without it cost wise but if the hammer ever drops that 20% of my cost could be spendy then, they get you coming or going be ready for it.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 08:50 PM

I’m with you Coonman... I’d like to see you line all these bad mouthin hands up... jerk their britches down... and cut loose on their bare butts with the radio antenna off that rusted out S-10 !
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 08:50 PM

I like my life and freedom more then my job I worked every extra shift I could get for many years, they asked I worked it now I want to enjoy my life!

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I like my life and freedom more then my job I worked every extra shift I could get for many years, they asked I worked it now I want to enjoy my life!

That is the difference between you and Dave, his house isn't paid for, he will need a new vehicle shortly, no savings, most likely no IRA or 401K. Realistically he should be doing whatever he can to make more money, whether it's getting a better job or work more hours and forget about signing up for SSI before full retirement. He won't.

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Tom

It's not haters Tom although the stuff about the IRS is unnecessary. He's been given some good advice. Can you imagine being 65 years old without supplemental insurance? Eventually, unless he is the healthiest luckiest man alive he'll need it. Then what? Either declare bankruptcy or stick it to the taxpayers.

You can run but you can't hide from basic math.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 09:43 PM

If I were coonman, I'd be watching lots of Dave Ramsey videos on YouTube

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 10:01 PM

It's too late.

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 10:21 PM

I get Six months paid vacation ,,twice a year.I also took on a side job that is noon to one,,with an hour for lunch. grin
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 10:28 PM

;
I get Six months paid vacation ,,twice a year.I also took on a side job that is noon to one,,with an hour for lunch. grin

X2

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 10:46 PM

Don't mind if I steal this quote do u?

I didn't think so!!!

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 10:51 PM

Just got my supplemental card and paperwork today. Highmark-They pay me $2/month to take it?
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Early retirement - 06/07/21 11:55 PM

The best advice I every got about retirement was "You don't make a living , you live on what you make." Have been retired for 18 years.

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 12:08 AM

Subsistence hunting fishing and trapping is a very satisfying lifestyle.
It's great to be retired and healthy enough to enjoy it.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 12:13 AM

Coonman, it boils down to this no matter what any one says it's your life to live so live it the way you choose and be happy. GOD BLESS.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hornady Reloader
I like turtles !!

Painted or snapper?

Softshell

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT

Don't mind if I steal this quote do u?

I didn't think so!!!

smile

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 01:06 AM

So, who told you to retire, anyway?

Was it God, or was it F D Roosevelt?

If it was the former enjoy your disability. If was the latter you ought to really be enjoying our new socialist economy.

Re: Early retirement - 06/08/21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Just got my supplemental card and paperwork today. Highmark-They pay me $2/month to take it?

Some guys have all the luck!! lol

Conman, now that others have chimed in, notice they recommend a supplemental as I did?

Say you need a knee....8000 out of your pocket if you don't have one.
Gonna need meds down the road like blood thinners or something that you'll need daily....out of your pocket without one.

I highly recommend you look into it. Like someone else stated and we were told, get it right away because its cheaper then.
You have 3 years before you can sign up for Medicare so ask around.

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 06:50 PM

I wish it was year from now an soon would, work new Mexican an he work hh an quit walk out door last week, not understand thing say but ask initials on paperwork , he start yell me , then today some new temps, a black guy I see yesterday not like looks an today work him ! Constant complain like I in charge work, my arms can't take this, I walk out door at break an at 11 he did an got me to help punch out work , I thought any minute gonna start fight or pull knife or go car an get a gun, he look like a rioter to me, oh well, I don't have put up threats an report them
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 07:13 PM

It's just too bad there aren't other, better jobs down around Dubuque.

Oh yeah you've been pointed to several and don't change so deal with it. You've got nothing to lose by switching jobs around there. I really think you like the job and the drama.

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 07:25 PM

Not really but pt an close home, hard find another pt job close at 15 hr, possible , scary start over again, no I definately don't like drama at work, just go show u that violence all over is increasing , I can notice it in all town even, on news, keep think neighbor kids are or can get guns, what I am figuring out is some these walk outs are ppl who go factory to factory, orientation an your an work a lil an quit, orientation an tour don't last long where I at, about hour, some places u watch safety films, maybe that what they plan on an didn't turn out , some scam like that, go place to place for tour orientation an work less than a day or maybe 2 days an do lil work an move on, walk outs are bad, u get blacklisted possibly, temp place never hire u again, also could get put on a list possiblily
Posted By: canine933

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 07:56 PM

Lord, please help me to stop clicking on his post. It’s like lays potato chips or boiled peanuts, once you start you can’t stop.

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 08:05 PM

crazy

Re: Early retirement - 06/29/21 08:33 PM

Not really but pt an close home, hard find another pt job close at 15 hr, possible , scary start over again, no I definately don't like drama at work, just go show u that violence all over is increasing , I can notice it in all town even, on news, keep think neighbor kids are or can get guns, what I am figuring out is some these walk outs are ppl who go factory to factory, orientation an your an work a lil an quit, orientation an tour don't last long where I at, about hour, some places u watch safety films, maybe that what they plan on an didn't turn out , some scam like that, go place to place for tour orientation an work less than a day or maybe 2 days an do lil work an move on, walk outs are bad, u get blacklisted possibly, temp place never hire u again, also could get put on a list possiblily

Quit worrying about part time job and look for a full time job. If you think it's scary to start over wait until you need a new pickup and you can't pay for your housing anymore, you are going down that path.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 01:28 AM

But if ya retire, who is going to put the text on Bidens teleprompter ??
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 01:39 AM

I wish it was year from now an soon would, work new Mexican an he work hh an quit walk out door last week, not understand thing say but ask initials on paperwork , he start yell me , then today some new temps, a black guy I see yesterday not like looks an today work him ! Constant complain like I in charge work, my arms can't take this, I walk out door at break an at 11 he did an got me to help punch out work , I thought any minute gonna start fight or pull knife or go car an get a gun, he look like a rioter to me, oh well, I don't have put up threats an report them

Oh..... Yeah?????

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 02:44 AM

Coonman - think of your retirement as a bushel basket. You, your employers and Uncle Sam have put some money in your basket. If you can still see the bottom of your bucket, it is too soon to start withdrawals.
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 12:14 PM

Hey coonman Dave, It looks to me like you have already decided on what is best for you.So like you posted earlier you dont know why you even posted on here asking a question about something you already know the answer to ? I have no idea why you posted about this either ? Since you have already researched it and know what you want to do already. You are are grown man - you do not and should not require anyone elses approval.

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 01:03 PM

I think you got it figured out Dave. Just keep going one way or the other.

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
But if ya retire, who is going to put the text on Bidens teleprompter ??

Posted By: walleyed

Re: Early retirement - 06/30/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Coonman - think of your retirement as a bushel basket. You, your employers and Uncle Sam have put some money in your basket. If you can still see the bottom of your bucket, it is too soon to start withdrawals.

Forget that advice, coonman !!!

Empty that bushel basket !!!

Spend your retirement stash like a drunken sailor on leave !!!

Buy more traps like it's 1979 !!!

Don't worry about the future, something will come up
like maybe another Biden/Harris STIMULOUS check !!!! laugh

Re: Early retirement - 07/12/21 10:54 PM

Sound tempting the early retirement even if not ready , 1 year from end this week, lot could change but plan on partial week an then just pt hrs, can't wait but can wait to be older, so if had to, could u get auto loan an ss is consider as income ?
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Early retirement - 07/13/21 10:51 AM

will your retired income support the monthly payments in addition to monthly living expenses? if your truck costs you 550 a month, got enough money for the rest of the month? i hear electric smart cars are great trapping vehicles...fit into tight places in the woods and they are quiet. portable blind.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Early retirement - 07/13/21 11:02 AM

Sound tempting the early retirement even if not ready , 1 year from end this week, lot could change but plan on partial week an then just pt hrs, can't wait but can wait to be older, so if had to, could u get auto loan an ss is consider as income ?

That will happen in the blink of an eye.

WS

Re: Early retirement - 07/13/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMink
will your retired income support the monthly payments in addition to monthly living expenses? if your truck costs you 550 a month, got enough money for the rest of the month? i hear electric smart cars are great trapping vehicles...fit into tight places in the woods and they are quiet. portable blind.

That's the first thing the wife and I did before she retired early, figure our YEARLY expenses just to maintain how we live now.

Not listing all here but just the major ones were....

Electric .....1,200
Heating .....600 gal.@ 2.50...1,500
Property taxes....3,500
Car a d homeowners ins.......1,100
Phones, tv, and internet......1,400
All subject to raises.

The basics come to 8,700 dollars a year...basics not including food and what not like any repairs, car licenses ECT.

It'd be a good idea for Coonman to make his list for yearly expenses and see if his SSI covers them.

Re: Early retirement - 07/13/21 10:36 PM

Hipie, Coonman still has a house payment, will need a new vehicle he can't pay out of pocket for and doesn't have any money in the bank, and no mention of 401k type plans or pension. Doesn't have health insurance and won't be able to afford supplemental when he goes on Medicare.

The only positive of his situation is he won't be alone. There are millions of Americans that don't realize what's coming when they "retire".
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Hipie, Coonman still has a house payment, will need a new vehicle he can't pay out of pocket for and doesn't have any money in the bank, and no mention of 401k type plans or pension. Doesn't have health insurance and won't be able to afford supplemental when he goes on Medicare.

The only positive of his situation is he won't be alone. There are millions of Americans that don't realize what's coming when they "retire".

You neglected his always optimistic high dollar coon to save the day for supplemental income.

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 03:45 AM

Lots and lots of senior public housing a coming. If Sleepy Joe and his party don't get us into a civil war first...
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

they'll be just fine.

there's already a "movement" afoot in DC to redistribute your retirement account to others who have none. it's only "fair". they'll call it a "living retirement" and it'll be paid for by the only large pot of money still available: the savings that responsible people put away for their own use. [those folks will get a "fair" stipend to live on, though; so it's all good]
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 10:54 AM

There is always the possibility of $50.00 raccoons in the future and who knows bounty $20.00 Possum
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 10:56 AM

The choices people make will construct the behaviors and outcome of their life's situations.

- Alfred Adler (1870-1937)

'Ol Al seems to have been close to the green with this major psychology theory chip shot IMO.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: proratman

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 11:01 AM

Other factors to consider are your lifestyle. Do you smoke? Drink excessively? Healthy diet?
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 11:04 AM

You need a budget: Once its filled out you either have enough to retire or you don't. A lot of people would retire early but can't due to not having medical insurance until Medicare kicks in at 65 and even that costs money then. On top of that you pay for supplemental insurance too. Good luck.

Job 1 Income AFTER TAXES
Job 2 Income AFTER TAXES
Social Security Income AFTER TAXES
401k Income AFTER TAXES / FEES
ROTH Income AFTER TAXES / FEES

House
House Insurance
Car Insurance
Boat Insurance
Umbrella Policy Insurance
Life Insurance

Property Tax

Back Taxes

Medical Insurance
Medicare Costs
Co Pays
Union Dues

Grocery Week 1
Grocery Week 2
Grocery Week 3
Grocery Week 4

Eating Out Lunch
Eating Out Supper

Car 1 Payment
Car 2 Payment
Car 3 Payment
Boat Payment
Tractor Payment

Gas - Car 1
Gas - Car 2
Gas - Car 3

Oil Changes

Hair Cuts

Netflix
Amazon Prime

Clothes and Shoes

Cell Phone 1
Cell Phone 2

Home Phone
Internet Service
Long Distance

School Loan

Banking Fees

Electric
Propane
Natural Gas
Trash
Cable
Dr Bills (Monthly Avg)

Dog - Vet
Dog - Food

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
If you start taking SS at 62, which is before your full retirement age, be very sure you understand how much money you can make from working before your SS benefits are affected.

$21,000 here in NY.Not sure if that is Nation wide or not.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 02:37 PM

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

[Linked Image]

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 02:42 PM

Back taxes and penalties have been mentioned by Coonman. Has he filed his 2020 state and federal forms?

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 03:09 PM

Should have worked a good union job coonman.You'd be rollin in the dough retiring at 55.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner

The best response of all.
The time to think about retirement is when your 25 not 62.

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 05:55 PM

Life ain't roses for everyone that they can "max" out for retirement. Some come from poor families and are living paycheck to paycheck from the time they are old enough to work.
Sad, but true.

I do agree that many with the means to do so, don't, and that's completely on them.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 06:03 PM

Yes all income is considered including retirement income and it's all taxed.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Early retirement - 07/14/21 09:13 PM

Just to verify, if a company matches do you count that towards your total 15 percent? Say if you do 5 and the company matches 5 that's 10 percent? And another 5 Percent would go into a different ira?
Posted By: martyd

Re: Early retirement - 07/15/21 01:32 AM

Coonman. I will be 62 Sept 1 I Saved some money but not enough. After making a list of what it will cost me to live I cannot make it on 65% of my SS that I would receive at 66 and 10 months. I have both knees replaced and in constant pain. I have to driver around at work on a scooter and chase guys out of the crapper and keep them working all night. If it was me and you have your health starting looking for a job that pays $20.00 hr at least with Heath insurance. There is a ton of jobs out their. Try to at least make it to age 65. I need to to try to make it to 65 too and it’s going to be tough with these bad knees. MD
© 2024 Trapperman Forums