Hilled potatoes today....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Getting ready to root my sweet potato slips
[Linked Image]

Tomatoes are started to get going
[Linked Image]

meat birds have nothing to do with the garden but they are coming along too...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rex123

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/24/21 10:00 PM

Looks like a great start.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/24/21 10:02 PM

Wow, great looking garden. There's a lot to be said about being self-sufficient.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/24/21 10:04 PM

Yall should have plenty to eat and won't even care how many coupons uber eats spams you with
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/24/21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Yall should have plenty to eat and won't even care how many coupons uber eats spams you with

I don't care anyways because I have no idea what that even is. lol, LLL
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/24/21 11:39 PM

Nice action!!

It appears that you have pretty fine soils or is that because you've worked it a lot? We tend to have heavier clayey loam soils up here. The house I grew up in Soo Foo was on a river terrace and it had such soils. I think my old man put a bale of sphagnum moss in it a year and never did much lighter over time grin

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Nice action!!

It appears that you have pretty fine soils or is that because you've worked it a lot? We tend to have heavier clayey loam soils up here. The house I grew up in Soo Foo was on a river terrace and it had such soils. I think my old man put a bale of sphagnum moss in it a year and never did much lighter over time grin

The soil is typical Iowa loam. It has been worked a lot already. I put on about 600 pounds of chicken manure and wood chips last fall as well as wood stove ashes and worked them in as well every year. It is a heavy soil but just worked up real well today after being pretty wet for a few weeks. I had not been able to get into it with the tiller since planting those potatoes on good Friday. LLL
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:48 AM

The soil is typical Iowa loam. It has been worked a lot already. I put on about 600 pounds of chicken manure and wood chips last fall as well as wood stove ashes and worked them in as well every year. It is a heavy soil but just worked up real well today after being pretty wet for a few weeks. I had not been able to get into it with the tiller since planting those potatoes on good Friday. LLL

Sounds like good stuff, well loved!! Keep the photos coming over the season!
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:58 AM

We had snow here and 27 degrees just yesterday. We have good dirt in Montana, if the snow melts so you can see it.
Posted By: mink99

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:58 AM

You do any melons Larry? Duncan’s process your birds or do you do it yourself?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 03:09 AM

Wow! way ahead of us. I am just getting spuds to emerge right now. Must be quite a bit drier there too as we are too wet to work soil here now. Just remember when you PLANT the chicks. plant them head up or they won't emerge! lol

Bryce

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 03:12 AM

Melons where my garden is seem to disappear even before they are ripe. eek I need a guard dog. I do plant cucumbers, squash and zucchini. They won’t walk off.

I process the birds myself in my fur shop. You can see my scraping beam in the picture up against the wall as the scraping room doubles as a brooder/ finishing house.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 09:29 AM

the garden looks great , that's a lot of meat chickens ,

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
the garden looks great , that's a lot of meat chickens ,

I have to raise that many or I can't feed the help. My middle son helps me process them and I will say no one in our families buy chicken. Prices on meat in general is surging. I use my wet dry vac reduced down to a half inch piece of pvc and ten mil bags to pack them. They keep well until we eat them and have kept some for a year until the next batch was ready.
Originally Posted by bblwi
Wow! way ahead of us. I am just getting spuds to emerge right now. Must be quite a bit drier there too as we are too wet to work soil here now. Just remember when you PLANT the chicks. plant them head up or they won't emerge! lol

Bryce

We have had a lot of rain this spring. This is the first time I got in with the tiller since good friday when I planted those potatoes. I use my seed from last year so the runners are pretty long when I plant them. Those plants are 16 generations old. I did break down and bought some red Norland seed this season but the others are as organic as they get. LLL
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 11:40 AM

Awesome set up LL!
Where do you get your meat birds?

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trapset
Awesome set up LL!
Where do you get your meat birds?

Hoover Hatchery here in IA. They mail them to the local post office. LLL

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 12:55 PM

Got ya, thanks.

What do you get, their Cornish or BBQ Birds? Also, do you ever put them out on grass or just pen feed to finish?

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 01:56 PM

Cornish cross broilers that are ready in 6 weeks.They never see anything but that pen and the only time they get outis when I take them to the killing cone. LLL
Posted By: run

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:27 PM

Nice pictures.

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 02:32 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 08:40 PM

Nice
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/25/21 10:55 PM

Good looking set up, Larry. I been wanting to put in. some raised beds, but been too picky about how I want to do it!
Posted By: eric space

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/26/21 12:59 AM

Wow! I am jealous, garden soil without rocks. Here in the cornfields we only pick the rocks that are bigger than one's head. In my garden, root type veggies better find a seam between the rocks. Makes for some weird looking carrots, beets and turnips.

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 05/26/21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Good looking set up, Larry. I been wanting to put in. some raised beds, but been too picky about how I want to do it!

If I can get those sweet potatoes in I will have it all planted. LLL

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 06/05/21 11:01 AM

Added a few weeks growth. Potatoes are as tall as a 7 gallon bucket. LLL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 06/05/21 11:20 AM

Looks awesome Larry! We are dry here
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 06/05/21 12:10 PM

Nice garden. Tater plants look great!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 06/05/21 02:05 PM

If you still have some excess rain Larry send it a couple hours to your east. Been a dry spring here!

Re: Garden pictures from SW IA - 06/05/21 04:34 PM

Supposed to be hot and dry here for a few weeks now. LLL
Originally Posted by trapdog1
If you still have some excess rain Larry send it a couple hours to your east. Been a dry spring here!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums